Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    Well hi Phil. Nice to see you trying out webOS and the Pre/Pixi. Well I'll start off helping answer some of your questions.

1. I think it will hold up. Sales show more than 1 million webOS devices have been sold. As for full-on graphics, I think people will be able to hold on a little longer, and Palm is not dumb, they will give the people what they want.
    2. The Pixi is nice, but for hard-core smartphone users, the Pre is the way to go. The Pixi is more of a social networking device for teens or people on the go.
    3. Homebrew is an essential part of webOS. Palm knows this. That is the reason they have opened up their OS for everyone to see. They want us to modify/hack the Pre and develop for it ourselves. People may argue, but the Pre was made for homebrew. Without it, it is a bit lacking.
    4. Pre 2
    5. Marketing focus, meh.
    6. It's hard to tell from everything we have in front of us now, but if they act fast and improve the few areas webOS needs work on (graphics, PIM, etc), then I believe they will rival Android and iPhone OS.

Well its good to hear that you are chosen to try out webOS. Please let me, or anyone else here, know of anything you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    Good morning Phil. I'm actually new to the whole smartphone thing (last Palm device I used was a IIIc) but I do have some input on your ?s

1. Being a nimble, versatile Unix flavor WebOS will definitely stick around. Palm's hardware choices notwithstanding, this operating system def gives WM a run for its money and then some. Being a lifelong Windows user, I would def love to see the implementation of some sort of desktop in addition to our card view, but I know that's a matter of time, rather than a limitation of the OS. The gaming and graphics is less a result of the OS, which we know it can do, and more about Palm's decision not to access the GPU... Just a matter of time.

2. For me, the lack of WiFi and the smaller screen were definitely a deal killer when it came to the Pixi. Believe me, I love the form factor and would have been all over it had that not been the case. It's the size of the Centro's battery door, for cryin out loud! If Verizon's plans didn't suck, I'd switch in Jan when Sprint tacks on it's new fees. I suspect more than a few people will.

3. I am one of the few folks on this site that actually prefers NOT to jailbreak, however the vast majority of USERS, IMHO, fall in this category, so I think that answers your question. That being said, I would not choose a phone that wouldn't let me do that. I do like keeping my options open

4. Unfortunately I have no point of reference when it comes to that phone... If it is more powerful, has full GPU access and a bigger screen, well...

5. Windows has improved greatly in the last couple years; however...

6. That's a tough one. I did not experience first hand the growing pains of iPhone users, but I suspect Palm has a tougher row to hoe when it comes to hardware that meets/exceeds expectations. With Android enjoying so much support on so many carriers (to include Sprint), the pressure is on to really wow early adopters... Time is running out. I love my Pre, but you can bet I'm going to give the Nexus One a long hard look.

Hope this helps, and by all means, feel free to tear it to shreds as only an actual journalist could.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

1. I would say you are absolutely correct when you express concern over gaming. I think this is one of the few essential additions needed in a soon (6 months) update. For Palm to have a chance, WebOS needs a few things before the next phone is released (probably this summer). Games are important, like the Need for Speed video we saw playing on a pre a while back (if it was real?). Video capture is another big one. Most cheapy phones have it, I cant believe ours doesn't. And a more snappy interface, on par with droid and iphone. I think gaming and lag are issues tht will be solved with GPU support that we have been hearing is in the works. And we all know video capture is in the works with webos internals.
    I do think WebOS will survive, with or without Palm. It is way too good not to. I would buy another WebOS device before I would buy any other phone.

2. For some people, yes it is. If you would have asked me that coming from my previous phone (nextel i70), I would have laughed. It all depends what you want/need from your phone. Plenty of kids and non-heavy data users will love that phone. I went and played with it, it is actually a great phone. The screen is larger than I thought and the phone overall is tinier than I thought. Both advantages as I see it. At the price point of $25, I think it is a deal.

3. No. Well maybe, but I would not like my phone nearly as much, and I would probably switch to something else when my contract is up. But homebrew kept the Pre alive, when everything else was boring. I actually like homebrew more than the apps store. but the patches are where its really at. The homebrew community does some amazing things. When you think that its just normal people, who most times arent making any money, thats what I think is so cool.

4. I dont know this phone, cant speculate.
    5. Same as above.

6. Like I said earlier, I think Palm will make it. But if they dont, I still think WebOS will make it. Its just too good not to. Palm will have to be great, not just good. The next device they release will have to be killer. The can't mess it up. If they do that right, I think they will survive. At least for another year.

Hey Phil, welcome to the WebOS side of things. I'm a former WM user (and one who loved the platform) who switched from a Touch Pro to the Pre when it launched. As for your questions, see below:

1. I'm not too interested in gaming. If it comes to WebOS, great, but I don't need it nor do I think I'd be satisfied gaming on a small screen. The simplest of games have entertained me since the days of Palm OS (see the WebOS game Paratroopers in the App Catalog).

2. I want the Pixi - bad. The form factor is nearly perfect, and its a lot more solid (well, it's one piece) than the Pre. However, it's still underpowered for my needs. WiFi isn't a deal killer, but it would be nice. Raw speed and lack of RAM is the deal killer for me. I'm guessing it will be like trying to run WM 6.1 on a Mogul - you can do it, but you should expect delays and reboot often

3. Homebrew is awesome - it reminds me of all the registry edits I'd have to (or wanted to) do to my WM phones. It's not a necessity, but it does help. I just wiped my phone two weeks ago and haven't rooted or patched the phone at all since, and I'm pretty satisfied.

4. Need a keyboard.

5. Me too, someone needs to step up and create a portrait keyboard WM Professional phone (Actually, HP just did that, right?).

6. They'll be fine.
    Greetings Phil...

I can really only speak for me. I'm new to smartphones. So when I went looking for my first smartphone I did a bunch of research. What I came up with is that after the research, the OS of the phone was more important to me then the hardware. I'm not saying I would take an absolute dog hardware wise. But the OS was the deciding factor. Ease of use, the ability to customize, more polished and not as fragmented as Android, funner to use then Apple's offering, and not as clunky as Windows Mobile 6.5. etc. etc. After my research I decided that WebOS was for me.

1. I think it will endure. I wonder however, if Palm would have more success licensing it out. Whether that happens or not, it remains to be seen, but the ease of usablility leads me to believe it will endure.

2. No. It's not a deal breaker. I've compared them both, and based on the forum factor, I chose the Pixi. Plus in my tests, the Pixi was just as, and in some cases, snappier then the Pre. In the Pixi forum here, one of the members did an in depth video test. Check it out. The results might suprise you. I do however, wish there was wifi on it. That being said, I have rock solid EVDO coverage from Sprint. If that wasn't the case the lack of wifi would have made me choose the Pre, even with what I think is sub-par hardware quality.

3. Yes. The homebrew scene is just icing on the cake. New apps are arriving all the time. As soon as Palm fixes some issues regarding the API's, the SDK, and the GPU, I really think the App Catalog will flourish.

4. That HD2 is dead sexy. Dead sexy, which goes to my point above about licesing the OS...

5. Breathe son, breathe.

6. Yes. I think so. They are innovating, and giving it the old college try. I really think the next generation Pre's and Pixi's will be giant steps in the right direction. I have mentioned licensing, but most manufactuers seem to be heading in their own direction regarding Operating Systems. Even HTC, with their "HTC Sense" gives me the feeling that they are moving in that direction.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on WebOS after you've played with it for a while. Enjoy.
    Last edited by JDGAFFLIN; 12/15/2009 at 10:41 AM.
    1. I abolsutely think webOS is going to hold up... however, while I think better graphics/gaming is important and should/will definitely get better, I think Palm's higher priority has to be to improve the overall PIMs and backup functionality. Having been a PalmOS user for almost 7 years, there are some basic things I miss with webOS, mainly around the Calendar. I know other PalmOS users who are looking to scrap their non-Phone Palms and were looking to go over to a webOS, but when I mentioned that webOS and PalmOS interfaces are totally different and don't offer the traditional Palm Desktop in favor of the cloud or a gmail (et al) option, they were slightly turned away. Granted, homebrew has helped a lot here (see question 3), but it's not a lasting solultion to rely on non-documented APIs that may break with the next update

2. For someone like myself who is in their 30s and uses this quite a bit while traveling or at work, Wi-Fi is an absolute deal-breaker for me! While I never knew wi-fi with my Treo 755p, I am now spoiled with me Pre. However, for the 15 year old teenage girl in high school who this is clearly marketed towards, i don't think lack of wi-fi or slightly less power is an issue

3. When you talk about Homebrew, it's more than just the App Catalog, its Patches, webOS Quick Install, Themes, and the overall user community and openness of the platform. For the App Catalog piece, there are a few key programs that are currently only available on Homebrew that I could not live without. Agenda (calendar list view at a glance), Music (remix), DrPodder (podcast program), Switcharoo (switches my wallpaper every 5 minutes with on-device images) and a few others. All of these are not available via the Palm App Catalog due to the use of non-documented APIs. So, this is important to me. However, just as--or even more important--is the use of the on-screen installed Patches via Preware! Using webOS Quick Install (a desktop based program) to install Preware, I can now tweak my phone to make it better! little things like 4x4 icons, date in the header, etc are nice, but there are some things that are a MUST for me that is only available via Patches. Thankfully, Palm has updated the webOS software so that some patches that I used to use are no longer necessary (e.g. text messaging forwarding) and I hope this trend continues!

4. Sorry, don't know enough about that hardware to really comment

5. Never had a WinMo Palm...always stuck with the PalmOS

6. I think the next 6-12 months will tell the tale. Hopefully, they will follow the Android path of launching small on a small carrier to get out the bugs, and then go full-throttle with 2.0 like the Droid (even if 2.0 is just software and not updated hardware) and go to multiple carriers. Once we get more users using webOS, we will get more Apps, Palm will get more money, they will update the software, etc etc etc. but, it seems like Palm had a plan, has been sticking to it, and are still on track... let's just hope this is true!

Overall though, I have been so impressed with my Pre and can't see myself going elsehwere. There are definitly aspects of other phones that I am very jealous of (1) snappiness, apps, and # of users of the iPhone, (2) Google Navigation (although Sprint Nav isn't too bad, either) on Driod, (3) expandable memory, etc, but I love my Pre and it's only going to get better and better (well, I hope!)

Good luck with the Pre this week!
    3. Not much time to post from work, but like everybody else points out, The openness of webos is the main reason I switched from AT&T to get a Pre. Being able to jump right into a unix shell without doing anything other than connect as a developer is a beautiful thing. Being able to customize the phone by editing some text files? PERFECT! What the webos internals guys and the homebrew community in general have done is amazing. It's really elegant. As part of your learning about WebOS, you definitely need to install preware and see what is out there.

If homebrew went away, it would be easily replaced. I love the convenience of patching and installing via preware, but if necessary, having to do it manually wouldn't be so bad, and I'd probably (and so would others) come up with my own way to automate it. Access to the stuff is what makes this phone great. If Palm locked down webos, It'd still be a nice phone, but not nearly as much fun to use. With patching and such, I can make this device uniquely my own. There's where the appeal is. It is linux, after all, and behaves like any linux appliance should :-)
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 12/16/2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts.

I Feel that Palm Will come around and get their act together on the GPU, then it is Intense Gaming Galore. It has been announced the Pixi will have Wi-Fi on VZW. i would still be on Web-OS with no Homebrew. I think in the long run, palm may get bought out or merge with other companies, but they will still be "around"

[/URL]
    Heya Phil, and welcome to WebOS and Precentral! Are you converted yet?

I'm getting ready for a final in my Latin class, but I've got a few minutes to answer these!

1) I think WebOS is going to hold up just fine. There is a growing niche of the community clamoring for intensive gaming, and a larger portion grumbling about the GPU being enabled (most of them wanting the processesing/speed boost that should come with that), but I think the majority of the WebOS folks realise that these things will come in time, and didn't get the device for its gaming aspects.

2) For me, yes, the trade off was a deal killer. I don't have a solid EVDO connection at home, (though I do always have signal), so I HAVE to have the WiFi on the phone- it's one of the top ten reasons I got a Pre. I also have to agree with the others who have commented on the screen size. Had the Pixi been the first unit out, it may not have been as big of a deal, but downgrading from the Pre to the Pixi? Not going to happen when the Pre so perfectly fits my needs and wants.

3) I would still be on WebOS. Homebrew is the perfect icing to this cake, and certainly makes my user experience MUCH better, but I knew walking in that I was an early adopter, and was prepared for the pitfalls of that. Given the option though, gimmie my Homebrew! What these guys and gals have accomplished with Homebrew is quite impressive, and all kudos to them for the work they put in for us!

4) I think every phone would be better running WebOS, but that's just me, and I'm not familiar enough with WinMo to picture it on a Treo.

5) Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty darned thrilled with my Sprint service. I've been with them for a while, and can't complain. However, I think Palm needs to push their devices out to other platforms. More users = more revenue, and more revenue = better R&D, and better R&D = win for WebOS users. I don't think they should drop Sprint, but a more agressive ad campaign, diversification, and continuing (if not accelerating) the speed of development on WebOS are what will bring and keep Palm at the table for serious competition. This OS is winning over long-term and die-hard fans of other platforms regularly. If Palm can keep listening to the user base, implementing the changes we want, push and open up the SDK, they'll be golden.

Hope these helped, and welcome to the insanity that is Precentral. Hopefully you'll get constructive feedback and most of the trolls will keep quiet.
    Last edited by rykatemom; 12/14/2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling... and I'm sure there are more mistakes. Be happy it's not all in Latin!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Let me start out by saying that at one point I was a huge WM fan. It was all about the familiarity. I do think that Palm will make it out f the woods as long as they keep putting out the kind of devices they recently launched! As far as webOS and Wm go ,the comparison is not even close, the webos wind hands down. The idea of the gaming and such is a great thing. However I am personally not a big gamer and for sure nota big gamer when it comes to a 3 inch screen. But over all I feel the webOS is much more user friendly! Good bye WM Hello webOS!
  12. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Just my three cents.....

1. Yes. As long as Palm keeps going with updates and fixes in a timely manner then I think webOS will be around.

2. The tiny keyboard on the Pre is barely passable for me (big fingers), so the Pixie is out from my perspective. However webOS screams for a large touch screen...maybe two versions for the next webOS phone; one with sliding keyboard and one with all touchscreen. It worked quite well for HTC (Diamond and Touch Pro)

3. Can't really say as i'm fairly new to the Pre and never used it without homebrew. I was a huge WinMo user before this and flashing Roms with HTC was great, but homebrew makes it so much easier....going both forwards and backwords. With and HTC device I spent more time customizing and flashing then actually using the device..LOL

4. Yup!
    5. Treo pro was my last device.....great phone, just stale and ho hum.
    6. As others have said, more carriers and design twist would be nice.

Have fun with the Pre!

wkj
    Hi Phil, good to see you over here. I spent a long year on WM with Treo 800w. Granted its not the best hardware but my biggest problem with WM was the lack of stability in the core of the OS. Rebooting was always necessary and it seemed like sometimes you would get a "good" boot and every thing worked the way it should for a while and sometimes you would get a bad boot and stupid little things would not function like sound and notifications.

Microsoft could have owned the smart phone market but lack of creativity and vision killed them. I also think that having too many manufacturers with too many different hardware combinations is also problematic for stability. I see Google running into the same problems. It is also going to slow them down on updates to Android.

On to your questions

[*]Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    WebOS is great for the kind of games that I like. That being said full on graphics will be here soon enough when we get to 2.0. I also think that developers will be able to have direct access to Linux in 2.0 which will really speed things up.

[*]The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    Thats a simple one. If you need WiFi and are on sprint then buy a Pre. It looks like the other carriers will include WiFi on the Pixi.

[*]Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Homebrew is really cool and one of the biggest strengths of the WebOS platform is how easy it is to develop for and patch. That being said most all of my favorite apps have graduated to the app catalog so yes if homebrew was shut down tomorrow, I would still be on WebOS.

[*]webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    Might be nice but I think I would need bigger pockets to carry that thing around. Not only that but I much prefer vertical keyboards.

[*]I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    Palms special sauce on WM6.1 was almost enough to make it bearable. IMO, It was a good move for Palm to focus their limited resources entirely on WebOS.

[*]Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    Well at least you did not ask if Palm was going to go out of business like some around here always say. Its my belief that the smartphone market is growing so much and so fast that Palm could afford to actually loose market share and still make a tidy profit. There is going to be plenty of the smartphone pie to go around. Palm will be just fine thank you.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    1. It won't hold up in its current form. But i think that's only common sense. The concept is great.

2. A deal killer? No. But it will hurt sales of the Pixi. Just a stupid move given it CAN be done (see verizon's verison) and given the fact that webOS just depends on data especially for updates. Not sure why a carrier would want it slurping bandwidth when it could be wifi.

3. Patches are the real homebrew. But if i still had the Pre, it wouldn't be a big deal to not have em. These should come in updates anyways.

4. I have pictured it. Hope Palm has too if they want to survive. The Pre is a failure. The Pixi has chances but needs wifi. But Palm needs that type of device if they want to be taken seriously. If they simply release a Pre II which is the same form factor as the Pre, then they're done.

5. Microsoft killed windows mobile, not anyone else.

6. Palm is far far far from being out of the red and not being a going concern. Unless palm releases that new device talked about in point 4? They're screwed. But even doing that, they'd need to fix a lot of problems starting with marketing. They could get bought because of the patents.

Palm needs to dump the Pre and refocus on a high quality popular form factor that will sell and make a profit. Keep improving the sdk. Work with big names to get their apps on board. And finally work out the bugs and simplify the process for setting up synergy for new users. Get a local backup. The Palm Profile stinks. Get better marketing and show off things for once. Focus on Verizon. Be thankful Sprint offered to be used like they were.

Wave bye to Palm in a few years if they don't... There's only so much cash they can get from playing stock games. That well is dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    1. It won't hold up in its current form. But i think that's only common sense. The concept is great.

2. A deal killer? No. But it will hurt sales of the Pixi. Just a stupid move given it CAN be done (see verizon's verison) and given the fact that webOS just depends on data especially for updates. Not sure why a carrier would want it slurping bandwidth when it could be wifi.

3. Patches are the real homebrew. But if i still had the Pre, it wouldn't be a big deal to not have em. These should come in updates anyways.

4. I have pictured it. Hope Palm has too if they want to survive. The Pre is a failure. The Pixi has chances but needs wifi. But Palm needs that type of device if they want to be taken seriously. If they simply release a Pre II which is the same form factor as the Pre, then they're done.

5. Microsoft killed windows mobile, not anyone else.

6. Palm is far far far from being out of the red and not being a going concern. Unless palm releases that new device talked about in point 4? They're screwed. But even doing that, they'd need to fix a lot of problems starting with marketing. They could get bought because of the patents.

Palm needs to dump the Pre and refocus on a high quality popular form factor that will sell and make a profit. Keep improving the sdk. Work with big names to get their apps on board. And finally work out the bugs and simplify the process for setting up synergy for new users. Get a local backup. The Palm Profile stinks. Get better marketing and show off things for once. Focus on Verizon. Be thankful Sprint offered to be used like they were.

Wave bye to Palm in a few years if they don't... There's only so much cash they can get from playing stock games. That well is dry.
    I gotta echo everything here, though I will add, before I ditched my Pre, I ran patchless for a week or so, and didn't miss it at all. Patches are nice and all, but as webOS progresses, they aren't make or break anymore.
    The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    The lack of Wifi is disturbing, but I'd love to see someone demonstrate a trade-off in power between the Pre & the Pixi. I've tried, and I can't find it. Does *anyone* have any video anywhere demonstrating where the Pixi performs worse than the Pre doing the same task? I keep reading about how the Pixi is supposed to have worse performance than the Pre. I have both phones in my house and I don't see it.

What I'd like to see is an actual demonstration that shows the Pixi consistently performing a task more slowly than the Pre. In my comparisons, I've seen occasional times where the Pixi performs slower. At the same time, I've seen occasional times where the Pre performs slower. If the Pixi is supposed to be this underperforming device, then there should be *something* that can be consistently demonstrated to perform slower on the Pixi.

Anyone? Bueller?

As for my personal opinion, the performance of both devices sucks. All criticisms of the Pixi's poor performance is (IMHO) a critique of WebOS, which is just far too slow. So slow, that it can prevent me from answering the phone when it's ringing. When people advertise the Pre as faster than the Pixi, they're misleading people. Both have critically horrible performance, IMHO.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 12/14/2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

In my opinion, what makes WebOS so appealing is both its ability to root, as well as the fact that its based off of Linux. Let's be realisitic here: a phone OS that is customizable WITH the support of Palm, and based on an operating system (linux) that is designed in the open source world. Even if Palm doesn't survive, WebOS will.

Yes, its a deal breaker for hardcore smartphone users. I just bought one for my daughter and wifi is no issue with it. For the market its pushed toward (teens and casual smartphone users) its not a deal breaker.

Yes, I would be, but to go back to point 1, this is part of what makes WebOS so appealing. Not only does palm support this, they encourage rooting and mods made to WebOS. Imagine how the iPhone would be if Apple supported jailbreaking?

WebOS on another phone in my opinion would be a death knell for Palm. We know that Palm is struggling to survive and have had phone quality issues. If you give WebOS to others, while that might help Palm survive with royalties, other companies with greater capital would surely do a better job in phone construction.

I think that Palm needed to focus on one OS and one or two phone models to survive. While there is markets for WM phones, I think Palm was wise to reduce its focus to maintain the companies sustainability. Let's be realistic, based on where stock prices have been and despite the drop they have seen, without the Pre, Palm would most likely be gone via bankruptcy.

In the end, I think Palm will be bought by another company and retained as a brand name. Palm has a strong OS and a loyal fanbase. I have had Palm devices back to the IIIx, m105, then the Treo 650. The only Treo's I've not had are the 680 and 750. I left a 755p for the Pre. Palm's brand recognition and OS will be very valuable for another company. That may be Nokia as rumoured, or even Motorola who according to reports hasn't had a big hit since the RAZR. I think there is a very small chance Palm will survive on its own. I don't think they will go the way of the Edsel, they have to valuable a product and name too not be purchased.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS

1. I really don't think WebOS is going anywhere. If the **** really hits the fan and palm starts to struggle, I think they will license it. It is too good of an OS to just disappear. My bet is that the GPU is going to be used in a new SDK that is going to be announced at CES this year. Palm is scheduled to make an appearance. I am also betting there will be a new device demoed.
    2. From the video's I have seen, the Pixi is hardly and underpowered phone. It only appeared to get sluggish after 15+ apps were open. I think once GPU powered games come out we will really see the difference between the two devices, but for now the big diff for me is the lack of WiFi. However, considering Verizon is getting a Pixi with WiFi early next year, I think this point is somewhat moot. But I love the form factor and that keyboard is incredible.
    3. Well I came from a WinMo phone and honestly I really didn't like it very much. It crashed on me all the time. WebOS is just plain better than WinMo 6.0. However, I am against Apple products kind of on principle atm. They are well made and work, but I really don't like how Apple operates on a day to day basis, so I choose not to give them my money. But Even if homebrew was gone, I think I would still be on WebOS. As others have said Homebrew just makes WebOS that much cooler. But take it all away, and WebOS is still amazing. The only devices that is somewhat tempting to me right now are some of the newer android devices.
    4. Don't know much about that device, sry
    5. Still not a fan of WinMo :P
    6. Yes I do. Why? Because right around the corner, they are going multi-carrier. And it isn't like they are going from being in trouble on Big red to sprint. They are going from treading water on Sprint to Verizon AND ATT. That is huge and I think a lot of phones (in particular the Pixi) are going to sell really well. And besides, once the GPU kicks in, WebOS is going to be so smooth, clean and user friendly, Android and Apple aren't going to know what hit them.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

1. I really don't think WebOS is going anywhere. If the **** really hits the fan and palm starts to struggle, I think they will license it. It is too good of an OS to just disappear. My bet is that the GPU is going to be used in a new SDK that is going to be announced at CES this year. Palm is scheduled to make an appearance. I am also betting there will be a new device demoed.
    2. From the video's I have seen, the Pixi is hardly and underpowered phone. It only appeared to get sluggish after 15+ apps were open. I think once GPU powered games come out we will really see the difference between the two devices, but for now the big diff for me is the lack of WiFi. However, considering Verizon is getting a Pixi with WiFi early next year, I think this point is somewhat moot. But I love the form factor and that keyboard is incredible.
    3. Well I came from a WinMo phone and honestly I really didn't like it very much. It crashed on me all the time. WebOS is just plain better than WinMo 6.0. However, I am against Apple products kind of on principle atm. They are well made and work, but I really don't like how Apple operates on a day to day basis, so I choose not to give them my money. But Even if homebrew was gone, I think I would still be on WebOS. As others have said Homebrew just makes WebOS that much cooler. But take it all away, and WebOS is still amazing. The only devices that is somewhat tempting to me right now are some of the newer android devices.
    4. Don't know much about that device, sry
    5. Still not a fan of WinMo :P
    6. Yes I do. Why? Because right around the corner, they are going multi-carrier. And it isn't like they are going from being in trouble on Big red to sprint. They are going from treading water on Sprint to Verizon AND ATT. That is huge and I think a lot of phones (in particular the Pixi) are going to sell really well. And besides, once the GPU kicks in, WebOS is going to be so smooth, clean and user friendly, Android and Apple aren't going to know what hit them.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

It'll hold up for now, I believe. Again, gaming is only a certain part of the market. Not everyone wants their phones to be a replacement DSi or computer.

For me, yes. I'm constantly in an environment with Wi-Fi and power is always nice to have in a phone.

Eh, probably not to be honest. I love using cooked ROMs.

It's like bacon with extra bacon. Amazing.

They were excellent phones, I agree. Plus it kinda gave you the best of both worlds: WinMo OS and Palm.

I hope so. Competition is always good. As long as they continue to innovate and renovate, I think they'll make it.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast