Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Web OS on HD2 would be ******ic in my mind at least...
    I gotta say I PREfer a portrait physical keyboard, but that would be sooo sweet, I admit it has grown on me. And since rubenstein says it won't happen, that's prolly exacty what we will see lol. Htc did build the treo pro ( I liked that phone) and they prolly would just throw webos on it and finish the virtual keyboard. Who knows though. I'm honestly rooting for a ''preo'' lol
    Last edited by toyotast165; 12/18/2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: I spel baded
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Im guessing everyone out there that isnot a blackberry fan is loving the fact that RIM had that giant email outage yesterday! huh?
    it makes us blackberry people look stupid!
    Well, it shouldn't make the people that use the device look stupid. I mean, it's not their fault. And every phone has it's problems, lest we forget the the back-up issues Palm has had.

I love my WebOS phone. But I have to say this. I chose the carrier first. In my area Sprint is phenominal, plus by far has the cheapest plans. If Palm wouldn't have went with Sprint as an exclusive, I still would have went with them as a carrier, and picked another phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    I love my WebOS phone. But I have to say this. I chose the carrier first. In my area Sprint is phenominal, plus by far has the cheapest plans. If Palm wouldn't have went with Sprint as an exclusive, I still would have went with them as a carrier, and picked another phone.
    Same here...I would probably still be on my Treo 755p although I may have looked at some of the other phones out there, waiting for the Pre to come to Sprint...
    day 4 of entries...
    I have to disagree with you. Sure Palm hired some people away from Apple. But look at the number of apps both homebrew and in the app catalog already. There must be some people out there willing to and writing apps for WebOS already. Just my thoughts
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 12/19/2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineaddy View Post
    day 4 of entries...
    Gosh, I am trying to post as much as possible too, but at least I am putting some small opinion/thought out there each time!!

So, where do I think Palm's weakness is right now!

QUALITY HARDWARE!!

The WebOS is beautiful and will get better as more apps come out and the GPU starts to get used. The design of the Pre is also beautiful (in my opinion), but the quality of the materials and build is lacking!! My wife's pre feels as though it will fall apart in my hand every time I use it. I love the shape, size, and function of it....but I will repeat what was said so much when it launched, it feels so cheap! I love Palm, sold my wife on getting a Pre after we both suffered with 800w's, and really want to have a WebOS device myself; but I will not buy any of the current hardware that is out right now. Again, not because of design (ok pixi, because of design, no WIFI??) but because of materials/build quality.
    I agree NPR. If Palm could bump up their build quality, they might be able to bring in more people. On the other hand, every company can or has been plagued by not-well-built phones....
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I agree that the build quality was not the best. Its difficult to argue that after being a member on here for the last 6 months and reading how many times some people have had to replace their Pre's. Mine lasted me about 6 months exactly. It wasnt even a hardware issue though (well kind of i guess). the 1.3.1 update messed up the notifications volume which blew my external speakerphone.

If the pixi had WIFI, I would switch to it tomorrow.

Another thing to think about is that people only post when they have problems. Nobody comes on here to say that their phone is working perfectly today. so, theres a reason that we hear all the "horror stories."
    Is there any comparable method to manipulate WebOS like the registry can manipulate WinMo?

Having the ability to modify almost anything is the benefit of WinMo.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I agree that the build quality was not the best. Its difficult to argue that after being a member on here for the last 6 months and reading how many times some people have had to replace their Pre's. Mine lasted me about 6 months exactly. It wasnt even a hardware issue though (well kind of i guess). the 1.3.1 update messed up the notifications volume which blew my external speakerphone.

If the pixi had WIFI, I would switch to it tomorrow.

Another thing to think about is that people only post when they have problems. Nobody comes on here to say that their phone is working perfectly today. so, theres a reason that we hear all the "horror stories."
    My phone is working perfectly...
    I was actually going to get a Pre. But the Pixi's forum factor sold me. By rule, I tend to gravitate to gadgets with the least moving parts becasue I am admittedly tough on them. Sure, I wish the Pixi had wifi. But I have to say, Sprint's coverage here in the Metro Detroit area is great, so I haven't run in to any problems in that regard.

Thus far, I absolutely love WebOS. IMO, it's ease of use, and intuitiveness makes it a clear cut winner. I'm sure the updates at CES are just going to push along much much further.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    Is there any comparable method to manipulate WebOS like the registry can manipulate WinMo?

Having the ability to modify almost anything is the benefit of WinMo.
    That's what patches do. The registry is a giant singular configuration file, right?

Well, WebOS is an array of individual configuration files. Patches modify those configs. You can edit them on-device if you feel like it using the Terminal package and vim.

As to which is *better*, well, a corrupt registry is the bane of any Windows OS. In PalmOS a corrupt file generally just limits that particular object. However if something breaks it has to be hunted down across the device, rather than just looking in the registry.

Given that every windows app has to be able to touch the registry while WebOS apps are self-contained, I'm partial to the WebOS approach. With WebOSRepair it is easy to repair damaged system files without impacting any applications. You can't say the same about registry repair tools.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    1.Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    -Most users will be complacent with what you can do with the current app catalog. Sure, there's no Layar or Need for Speed, but we do have twitter, ebook readers, and most simple apps required for smartphones these days. Yet there is a large contingent- one that currently leans toward the Iphone and it's incredibly robust SDK- that do want those things, and want them soon. I understand it takes time to evolve a SDK, but having no readily accessible camera and microphone API is staving off a lot of useful apps and functions. Not to mention the dormant GPU, which, given, will hopefully be implemented sometime in the (near?) future.
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    -I agree with many of the other posters here, if they had stuck with the same processor it would have made it a heck of a lot easier on everyone but Palm's bank account. And I do understand the necessity of this, yet how much more can the newer 600 mhz chip cost over the old one? And bending to Sprint to remove wifi leaves all sorts of bad tastes, yet hopefully once palm goes multi-carrier and sells a significant amount of phones whet will gain leverage to not have to make such drastic cuts again. I personally would buy a Pixi, because EVDO at my house is fantastic, But wifi would have been fantastic.
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    -Actually, on my stock Pre at the moment, life's pretty fantastic. I did try homebrew at one point, and it is simple as dirt to do and really feels more like legally personalizing your phone rather than hacking it. Rooting on the other hand scares the crap out of me and is a different story. The only reason I tried it is because some apps were available there rather than on the app catalog, but now that the app catalog is coming up on 900 apps I really don't experience that problem anymore. And all of the patches are not essential for my use of the Pre, and I believe if the feature makes sense on the Pre Palm will implement it someday. So again, I love my stock Pre.
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    -Yep. Would have been awesome. Yet I really don't have a problem with my Pre at the moment, other than the “mushy” slider. It really is a great looking phone. Sure, build quality was a crapshoot for the first few months, and there's nothing that can take that back. But if Palm can learn from it's mistakes, it will definitely be set for the second flagship release.
    5. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    -I have no illusion that they will slay Google and Apple and do a dance on their dead corpses, but I believe once the multi-carrier roll out occurs, paired with some good advertising, will put Palm back in the green. I believe the new Palm knows what it's doing, and once the SDK evolves more, we will have some great apps that will hopefully give users of other platforms less of a reason to stick by their platform. The only thing I hope for in the near future is optimization of the Pre's software for it's hardware, and overall speed and battery boosts. I do believe that somewhere down the road, if played right, Palm will be set for a fantastic launch of it's second flagship phone across all carriers and many nations, possibly putting it back in placing with the higher ups.
    How many people really love the Palm keyboards? They feel so different than anything else out there..and not in a good way. To me at least.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hey, everybody. Sorry I haven't been responding more, but I have been reading every response, and you all kick ****!

My webOS write-up went up today. Have at it!
    I heard the Pre doesn't have the sturdiest construction.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Interesting chatter about a possible "Pre Plus" over on Engadget... from the usual "trusted sources."

What do people think Palm needs to present at their event next month in order to be truly successful?
    A Palm Pre with 16 GB's of storage and Verizon's Large market would do wonder's for Palm.
    Heck let's dream big and get a 32gb Pre!
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyhanky View Post
    I heard the Pre doesn't have the sturdiest construction.
    Hopefully that'll be fixed in January. :/

It seems to be a bit hit-or-miss at the moment.