Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Hey Phil I love the idea of the round robin thing. It will be interesting to see what you and the others think of WebOS. On too your questions:

1) I believe the WebOS will hold up. Sure people will be screaming for full graphics, but I think that is only a matter of time. Palm will continue to improve the OS and it will hold up.

2) I like the pixi but I like the Pre better so I was never really interested in the Pixi. Yes it should have come with Wifi from the start. But it is not a deal breaker for me as I had no interest in it.

3) I must start this by saying I love homebrew. However I had the phone for months before I installed homebrew. I think the phone was great without homebrew but homebrew definetly increases the experience. Plus that is what Palm's intentions were with WebOS. They wanted people to make the phone theirs in their own ways.

4) Never really messed with HTC phones. But WebOS would be cool on different form factors.

5) Sorry but I have never been a fan of WinMo phones so no loss for me there

6) I think Palm will survive. The biggest thing they needed was to get WebOS out there more. That is exactly what they are doing with Verizon. This will increase the number of units they are moving and the attention that WebOS gets. So I think they will make it as long as they keep pushing out updates and new things.

Thanks for looking Phil, hope you enjoy the WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Another thing, while the HD2 is pretty rad, I'd say that the Pre's shape is far more elegant, even if the hardware has been somewhat problematic. Having had the Pre for 6 months now, even the relatively small TP seems too big to me- the HD2 and TP2 seem huge and not all that pocketable to me.
    I like the pre form factor in that the screen initially seemed small, but is really pretty good size. Overall the phone shape and size is very pocketable. How has your experience been using the keyboard for 6 months? It still seems cramped to me.
    hi! i'd like to contribute

1) I think so... WebOS has huge developer community and support and I don't think immersive gaming is far off and it's definitely coming. Besides, I don't know about you but not too worried about it as gaming is better with a PS3 and 50" HDTV haha

2) Definitely a deal-killer for anyone who cares about performance... the pre already has a nice feel too it so I wouldn't go light for lack of performance and functionality

3) Without homebrew? No. As a computer and tech guy when I decided to finally go to smart phones, I had to pick one that I could do what I want with, mp3 freedom, homebrew without hacking the phone, etc. iphone never had a chance with me Apple ruined it

4) Looks good.... pre still feels nice in hand and pocket tho

5) I was never a treo user don't miss it =P

6) Who knows... things are looking ok, but do we ever really know what's going to happen? Businesses and financials are all crazy right now! lol If they don't make it, at least it's just the end of my phone and not my job! Sorry Palm peeps!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The keyboard seems fine to me. I have somewhat skinny fingers though, and and quite dextrous, so I can see me not being the average user. I never found the keyboard to be cramped.

I wish the pixi had the same specs as the Pre (same processors, and WIFI). I would probably switch over to that. Just because I like the form-factor soooo much. On my Pre, I use the keyboard so much with universal search, that sometimes it is a hinderance to have to slide it open each time.
    I don't care what you have to say about my answers, I'm bored and want to win something hahaha read at your own risk.

1. WebOS Does what's suppose to. If you want full out gaming get a console to play on. It would drain so much battery life so people would have to buy the big extended bulky battery :/

2. The Pixi is more affordable, you get what you pay for... Its good from the marketing aspect cause hopefully they'll have a pixi that has all the power and capabilities of the pre and maybe a bigger screen!

3. I dont really know much about this correct me if I am wrong but I'm sure someone would come out with something that works like homebrew. Its inevitable.

4. (repeat) Pre 2

5. Good for you!

6. If they don't make it someones going to buy em out... maybe microsoft hopefully not apple.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi. New to the Pre forums (and a new TreoCentral forum member even though I've used Palm phones for years).

I'll respond to these questions in a moment, but first I want to say that I'm a Pre hold-out for reasons that are unrelated to the Pre! Although I like Sprint (and have no problems with their service as long as they *have* service, hint, hint), I'm not thrilled that I can't get official tethering, and I don't like not being able to use the Internet and make/receive a phone calls at the same time. Having said that, if the pricing on other networks is really onerous compared to Sprint, I would probably swallow my pride (and some self-righteous spit) and stick with Sprint.

1. I think WebOS will only survive if Palm releases an updated SDK in the next 6 months that allows access (directly or indirectly) to the underlying GPU and other hardware as necessary. I also think Palm needs to make speed priority #1. I've been a programmer for 20+ years, and speed of a given process is ALWAYS the #1 complaint from users.
    2. If the Pixi's price is right, the people will come. It already has a lot to offer. On the other hand, we know the Pixi has built-in WiFi that Sprint won't let us access, so Verizon will have much better success with the Pixi than Sprint will.
    3. Ummm, not so much. Palm can't survive on the little money they make from Palm f-a-n-b-o-y-s alone (I can use that term because I am one myself... Palm needs business users (lawyers, doctors, etc.), and that means APPS. Until Palm releases said updated SDK, kiss the app catalog, and business users, goodbye.
    4. Not sure what an HTC HD2 is, so can't speak on it.
    5. I think Palm had no choice but to kill off anything not having to do with WebOS. They're barely surviving as it is. Windows Mobile is, for the time being, dead. You can only shock that body so many times before you have to call the time.
    6. Yes, as long as they move exceedingly fast, and they hire some people who actually know how to do things right. They didn't have an iron-clad backup solution working first (and don't even get me started on the desktop issue)? They gave us a tiny, unexpandable partition for purchased apps? You have got to be kidding! Whoever was assigned to these tasks should be sent to the mailroom.

Edited: Why can't I use the word f-a-n-b-o-y-s ?? When did this become a curse word?
    Last edited by BobAtPitt; 12/17/2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Censorship
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I probably wouldn't like the Pre as much if it weren't for homebrew, but I did get it before Preware and all that existed.
    While I would love to see full GPU access, etc., I haven't heard much about games and 3d apps on WM, either. Is there a good selection of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    The keyboard seems fine to me. I have somewhat skinny fingers though, and and quite dextrous, so I can see me not being the average user. I never found the keyboard to be cramped.

I wish the pixi had the same specs as the Pre (same processors, and WIFI). I would probably switch over to that. Just because I like the form-factor soooo much. On my Pre, I use the keyboard so much with universal search, that sometimes it is a hinderance to have to slide it open each time.
    I too haven't had any problems with the keyboard, then again I came to the Pre from the Centro and I like the Pre's keyboard a lil more than the Centro. Other than not having it on the front of the phone, but with a phone that does what this phone does, I want to keep my screen size so I'll deal with the slider to keep my physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I too haven't had any problems with the keyboard, then again I came to the Pre from the Centro and I like the Pre's keyboard a lil more than the Centro. Other than not having it on the front of the phone, but with a phone that does what this phone does, I want to keep my screen size so I'll deal with the slider to keep my physical keyboard.
    I came from a treo 600 thru 755p and i love the Pre keyboard! I thought that it was going to be tougher with shallower and more cramped keys, but I have not had any problem with it at all. And I agree that I would rather have a larger screen with the slider, as long as the slider works well (note that I have luckily had no issues with my slider or with any oreo effect)
    day 3 of entries...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    now that we have ares, how can anyone doubt that palm will atleast be a player in the end-days of smartphones
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I came from a treo 600 thru 755p and i love the Pre keyboard! I thought that it was going to be tougher with shallower and more cramped keys, but I have not had any problem with it at all. And I agree that I would rather have a larger screen with the slider, as long as the slider works well (note that I have luckily had no issues with my slider or with any oreo effect)

Yeah thus far both mine and the wives sliders have been solid, then again after much review we are both using the sprint hard case..... well worth it if you are someone that doesn't mind adding a lil bulk for daily use, and gives me a lil piece of mind.
    I am surprised so many people are willing to "wait for the hardware enchancements." Existing Pre customers are stuck with their hardware, but everyone who is not already an owner should be wary. Palm has been back in the game for quite a while now and they are still dragging behind on actually utilizing the hardware they designed their OS with.

I don't see Palm picking up the slack anytime soon. They don't have the capital or manpower to keep up with the big manufacturers. They started off behind, and it will take a miracle to get them ahead.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint make a mistake? Surely not

But i'm still trying to makes sense of why a carrier wouldn't want wifi on a device and instead have that device slurping data from its network. Especially a device as data hungry as a Pixi.

Even from a marketing standpoint, the Pre is still very different from a Pixi..even one with wifi. 24bit higher rez wide screen vs a smaller specced screen. Better camera. Slider vs candybar.
    I'm guessing it has much more to do with how sprint wanted to position the device as a whole--The free-with-two-year-agreement taste of WebOS. If you wanted the full meal, you would be expected to spend the extra $100 or so.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I love my Pre hardware and look forward to all of the WebOS enhancements to come.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    I'm guessing it has much more to do with how sprint wanted to position the device as a whole--The free-with-two-year-agreement taste of WebOS. If you wanted the full meal, you would be expected to spend the extra $100 or so.
    Agreed, but they really did a number on the Pixi.. they should have, at the very least, kept the same processor so developers could have relied on the same performance numbers across the lineup.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    1. Yes it will hold up, as long as gaming within say 6-12 months.
    2. For me, yes, lack of wi-fi is a deal killer
    3. If there wasn't homebrew, I'd still be on WebOS but only because I signed a contract. Homebrew (and really mostly the homebrew patches since Palm is a bit slow on the draw for some of these seemingly simple options) has made WebOS usable.
    4. Uh....
    5. WM on a Palm device always looked silly to me.
    6. Probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacos View Post
    Agreed, but they really did a number on the Pixi.. they should have, at the very least, kept the same processor so developers could have relied on the same performance numbers across the lineup.
    Agreed. Honestly I kinda expected more from Palm with the Pixi than what was delivered.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    Hi Phil,
    6. I love Palm since the 1990's I still have and use a Palm Pilot circa 2000. BUT I don't think Palm will ever come back to be a front player.

That answer all the other questions.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I don't think anyone thought apple would be a front player. I think we all know how that story is going... Don't predict the future unless its a prediction like... Apple will go bankrupt and epic fail then completely dissolve when steve jobs dies just like it almost did when he retired and would have if he hadn't comeback.