Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    I'm not on Sprint so don't have a Pre yet. But I've watched all the video reviews and read all the written reviews I could find. I definitely want one as soon as Palm sells an unlocked GSM version or AT&T gets one.

Between the Pre and Pixie, I'd pick the Pre any day because Wi-Fi is a must for me. Also, I prefer slide-out keyboards.

I'm very happy right now with a Tilt 2, and think it's one of the best smartphones I've ever used. I like it way better than my Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post

I'd dare say Android is a little more fractured right now. Windows Mobile 6.0 and 6.1 apps generally will work on 6.5 phones. But when you get into the different Android versions, it's a crapshoot.
    Yeah fragmentation in the Android platform drives me crazy. I'm glad Rubinstein is keeping WebOS close to his chest and he's got the right idea, but a faster evolution wouldn't hurt.

I'm eager to try a WebOS device, but they have still to show some proper love to people in Europe (Belgium in my case). Yes, I know I can get an unlocked German Pre, but QWERTZ?!
    Hey Phil,

Here's my input from me and speaking for the wife a lil too.

1. I think WebOS will hold up, the software is capable of doing much more than it is doing right now. I am not too worried about games, sure games are cool, but I would rather game on a console in general. As a user I am holding out hope that we may see the GPU activated soon enough anyways.... especially with Adobe saying the flash player should be coming out soon on their website.

2. Pixi, I like the phone for what it is, personally wouldn't give up my Pre for it though.

3. As far as homebrew, I've never been one to be big on modifying my phone. I do like the ease of use, and majorly the ease of recovery with WebOS, I still do my best not to mess anything up but I have been able to modify both mine and the wifes phones to our own personal liking with HomeBrew and Patching. We both love our phones without the patches or homebrew, but enjoy that we can get our custom touches added to the phones in various aspects. This is of course thanks to the awesome community making the Patches and Themes and homebrew apps easily accessible.

4. I could see WebOS working well on many hardware platforms, for us one of the things that kept us with the Pre is the physical form. Layout of buttons and a physical keyboard that slides out from the bottom and not from the side of the phone. So WebOS on ANY similar hardware setup would be cool with us...... but for us it's an entire package deal and with this phone and any future phones we will be looking at the entire package.

5. See above, I am not married to any manufacturer or OS..... before the Pre, we both had Centros for 2 years and loved em. I had a Palm (PDA) back in the Handspring days (early Handspring). Once again, we look for the complete package that fits our needs and user comfort.

6. Baring any crazy things coming out (say legal problems or some other off the wall thing), Palm has a product and a name that can recover. Palm should survive in some form, as we all know technology while it moves VERY fast it's not an overnight thing when it comes to success or failure. The market is big, and while some companys are seeing success at the moment, Palm is not the only moving part of the market and should be able to survive as Palm and all others make their moves.
    1) yes, webOS has plenty of potential and I believe it will hold up. Sure there's not a huge gaming ability in the pre but the chip is there, palm will surely open it up soon (CES 10 hopefully)

2) the pixi does what its supposed to...I think the lack of wi-fi isn't a deal breaker at all...I started out in the 'smartphone' genre with a centro, which some might say it the pixi predecessor, and loved the phone and pam. I think the pixi is your better than average into to the smartphone world phone.

3) 100% yes! I bought the PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $webOS$ $and$ $the$ $phone$'$s$ $awesome$ $features$, $not$ $for$ $a$ $ton$ $of$ $useless$ $apps$ $and$ $time$-$wasting$ $games$. ($not$ $to$ $knock$ $Apple$ $here$, $I$ $have$ $an$ $iMac$ $w$/$free$ $iPod$ $touch$ $and$ $I$ $love$ $both$ $very$ $much$)

4) b-e-a-utiful!

5) This is a hard one for me...I am really pushing for them. Loved the Centro, adore the PrPrPr&#$275$; ($enough$ $to$ $even$ $put$ $the$ $little$ $accent$ $over$ $the$ '$e$'), $but$ $it$'$s$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $tough$ $for$ $them$. $They$ $need$ $to$ $open$ $up$ $the$ $SDK$ $fully$, $and$ $add$ $a$ $few$ $more$ $phones$ $to$ $the$ $lineup$ $if$ $they$ $can$ $afford$ $it$ ($and$ $advertise$ $them$ $the$ $right$ $way$). $Enable$ $use$ $of$ $the$ $GPU$, $more$ $bluetooth$ $functions$, $and$ $phone$ $functions$ $in$ $general$...$anything$ $that$ $could$ $attract$ $more$ $buyers$! $I$'$m$ $pulling$ $for$ $them$, $I$ $really$ $am$!
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?

I think so but let's face it, the Gameboy and DS are highly addictive mobile gaming platforms and they aren't powerhouses. It's really more about really good games. The correlary is that the DS has more screen real estate than any phone and even the classic gameboy has better inputs than anything other than maybe the Droid's joypad. And I think that WebOS has enough power to render DS-grade graphics.

Mobile gaming is going to be more about games that work in the form factor more than hardware that enables games. Once the Pre gets Flash things will be better. Right now I think the limitations of javascript are hampering game design, same way the PS3's multiprocessor is trickier to take advantage of than an Xbox360.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    1. I think most of us are already screaming lol, but we deal with it. Kinda like how you deal with WM versions lol.

2. It's a deal killer for me personally. I like the bigger screen and more power that the Pre has. The Pixi isn't really aimed at me though, as a power user, I think it's to broaden the demo-graph that WebOS is available to.

3. Hard to say, I didn't buy a Pre at launch, if that tells you anything. I think I can safely say I would not own a Pre withough homebrew.

4. I'd like to see WebOS on a lot of phones. Is that Palm's distribution model? I would tend to lean towards no. Seems too good to be true, and after all, what would we have left to complain about? haha

5. Good for you, glad you can deal with WM.

6. I sure hope so, otherwise this Pre I have will become a touchscreen paper weight. Hopefully Apple doesn't gobble them up lol.
    WinMo definitely isn't dead. It's just resting. lol.

It's a bit of a weird time. Windows Mobile 6.5 isn't going to wow the world, but neither is it a bummer of an upgrade.

Expecting better hardware to be announced this spring, and Windows Mobile 7 to blow people away by this time next year.
    Do you mean that you expect WinMob 7 to blow away Pre, Droid & iPhone users or just the WinMob users? Because It's going to either require something truly innovative or that has *all* the best features of the Pre, Droid, and iPhone to really blow us a way.

If it comes out with a snappy, intuitive, and stable UI that multitasks, has multitouch, an excellent messaging and notification system, has a well managed and promoted app store but also facilitates side-loading apps, I'll be wowed. If it only has a couple of those items, then it'll be on par with the Pre, Droid and iPhone. Unless it's unstable. If it does everything but be stable it becomes a horrible, horrible disappointment.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    1 (Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    The Pre/Pixie's extremely small form factors make them less appealing to me for gaming. I've got a desktop computer for that. I much prefer the Pre over the iPhone that I had just because of the way it fits in my hand, and in my pocket. I think once Palm comes out with larger form-factor phones with WebOS (something in the HD2/Xperia range) the larger screens will be have folks screaming for games for them. Then again, I'm not looking forward to lugging those around. It's a hard trade-off.

The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    For me and many folks yes, but lots of 'regular' users the phone is targeted add don't know/care about WiFi. Folks who like in rural areas with less available WiFi are unlikely to care about it at all. For me it's a big checkmark item on any modern smart phone because of the way they all burn batteries on G3 data networks.

Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Homebrew is MUCH more important to me than the app store. The homebrew guys have come up with a lot of ways to improve the phone in ways that folks selling through the app store can't even think about yet because of the limited SDK from palm...

webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    Yep. I think Palm would do well by coming out with a snapdragon based phone in the 4"+ screen size format. I think those will be very popular in the spring and next summer. Personally I prefer the Pre's format. Hopefully they will offer WebOS phones through a wide range of styles.

Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    I'm not worried about them. I think the smart phone market is just going to get bigger until every phone is a smart phone. There's plenty of room in such a large market for a company to be stable and profitable on a small fraction of the market. I think Apple's niche in the PC market speaks to that.
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    Welcome Phil:

Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?

I think it will have sting power as long as webos gets out to carriers besides Sprint. Which is fixing to happen with verizon and hopefully soon to ATT Maybe someone can comes up with a radio like motorola that will allow TMo and other 3G radios in the same device.

The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?

I dont think lack of wifi is a deal breaker for all but it may be for some and vzn coming out with wifi in their version may aggravate a lot of Sprint customers with pixis. Hopefully later versions will have more memory like the iPhone has done (one of the few things I like about that device)

Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?

Not sure

For me it would be a device the size of the treo pro with webos and a screen from the top of the current screen down to at least where the current keyboard starts and ditch the physical keyboard and with at least 1GB storage memory preferably at least 16GB if it does not have a microsd card slot .

I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.

I'm standing in that line with you. I am still using mine and I wish they had not done that but such is life.

Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

I am not sure I am feeling better about their chances now that VZN is geting the pre and pixi but they need to get serious with athe gsm pre and pixi here in the US or I will start feeling iffy about it They cant ignore the US 3G GSM market and that revenue stream and expect to do really wel long term IMHO They need to have more devices in the pipeline.
    1. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?

Lack of wifi is to me but the correlary is that it's $30. I repeat, $30. Can you get a hardware-comparable WinMob or Android phone for $30? If it is the only phone you could bother to call a smartphone in that price bracket, it will appeal to those people who have the money but aren't willing to splurge on a smartphone because they don't see the value or those who would otherwise be trapped in a feature phone because of budget.

[LIST=1][*]Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?

Yeah. I wouldn't be as happy as I am but since Palm *is* homebrew friendly (and even advocating it at Sprint events!) I don't have to contemplate that scenario.

1. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.

Wouldn't that just be a Pre where you never opened the keyboard? As far as I can tell the dimensions and specifications are really similar. I can see how you could want GSM though. I miss the convenience of swapping phones via SIM card but that was ATT before the spinoff/merger with Cingular and I won't touch them with a 15ft pole today and Tmobile is not so hot where I live.
    1. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

I think if they can get their European app catalog figured out they'll be fine. Their international sales appear pretty strong, even if their domestic isn't superb. I'm hoping that once the Pre and Pixie come out on Verizon and in GSM flavors that the sales will take off since I think Sprint may have turned off some buyers.

Palm doesn't need to burn up the charts to live, given that the size of the smartphone pie is growing. I think the Pixie is an excellent trick in their long-term plans, though. From a UI standpoint, you can pretty easily swap between most of the high end smartphone OS without too much pain and most of them are on similar hardware (re: Pre, Droid, iPhone 3GS).

However multitasking is something that will be hard to give up, meaning that when Pixie users get ready to upgrade, they may be turned off by the iPhone. WinMob has multitasking but, sorry guy, at the moment it's not up to the deck-of-cards WebOS experience. Which leaves Android, and truth be told, until the Droid most of the Android phones were underpowered.

If palm can put Pres on Sprint, Verizon, ATT and Tmobile, they'll have a clear upgrade path for those $30 smartphone users.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Windows phones are so intuitive to people who use windows computers i dont think they have to "blow us away" with 7 to really do well. Android (and briefly web-os) got a lot of attention as something new, but there are not that many people (outside of this and other respective forums) looking for something that different. In my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post

Their international sales appear pretty strong, even if their domestic isn't superb. I'm hoping that once the Pre and Pixie come out on Verizon and in GSM flavors that the sales will take off since I think Sprint may have turned off some buyers.
    I don't believe those figures that were posted on this site. I know both my local O2 sores have sold barely any, and the all the ones bought on the opening weekend at my local store have been returned. I say 'all'; mine's been returned twice and the other guy who bought one's also broke. 3 sales, all returned is not a great opening weekend.

Also, it also compared quartely sales to the Milestone (droid). Well it's only been out about 2 weeks in Europe on carriers, and about 4 days here with no carrier yet (450 up front for me). So yeah, not really fair. I have just travelled the country thorughly with my band, and am still yet to even see another person with a Pre.

Has anyone mentioned WM7 yet in this thread. I can't wait to see what they offer!
    Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    Hold up? Yes. Why not? Immersive games, in my opinion, are not the end-all-be-all of smartphone operating systems. A smartphone could not, and really shouldn't try to, replace a dedicated gaming system. To me, any games that go on a phone would only be used when standing in line at a grocery store, and that's all the level of sophistication I would expect or need out of a smarthphone. But, even so, fancy 3D games are possible and inevitable.
    I like the formfactor, but the lack of power is what turned me away. Then again, I'm probably not the target audience for the Pixi. Palm is going for people who've never had a smartphone, like the people using feature-phones but are looking for an upgrade. The device is spec'ed and priced for that market appropriately.
    Certainly. To me, homebrew is just sprinkles on the sunday.
    Not for me. Call me old fashioned, but I like physical buttons. The internals are decent, but for any future Pre I would be looking at a dual-core OMAP4 instead.
    I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    Well, as a WM guy, I guess I can see that. Palm came out with a pretty good OS, and dragging along a competitors OS was just not worth it anymore. Plus, to compete with any of the other WM phones, you would have to spend considerable time completely reskinning the interface to make it appealing (which says a lot about WM... just getting that out there ).
    Half a billion of cash on hand, with two exciting products in multiple countries and soon to be on multiple carriers. Yeah, they're going to be going along just fine. Maybe they won't be the stock-market powerhouses like Microsoft or Google, but you don't need to be to build some damn good phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    hello phil ! Welcome to precentral.net,
    I'm not big on long drawn out posts . So I'll be short with it lol. Anyways with they current sales across the pond and the soon to be verizon palm phones coming soon I'd say yes palm will make it for the long haul. And as far as graphics goes wel just read the front page . Webgl on the way. Have fun !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Yea, I never understood fart apps, but they are kind of like a "Hello world" program. They just need to be done on a new system.

I think sport apps are fine and should be included, but make it one app, instead of 32 or however many there are by Brighthouse labs.

Also I don't think you can even buy a pixi without a data plan. I know you have to have a data plan to use the Pre.
    All I'm saying is if they want the truth...I am sick up purchasing phones, data plans,etc....like the Pre I was actually surprised that I could enjoy this phone, with the necessary add-ons, software updates, or apps the Pre could set the standard for cell phones!! I can't believe we can't have video recording, for me that was almost a deal breaker by itself...how many people have small children or relatives and can appreciate video recording...the memories!!!! BUT the camera is so fast I forget the Pre doesn't record video.
    Last edited by rider910; 12/16/2009 at 06:54 PM.
    People already are asking for that. But considering OSes like BB are still doing plenty well, I doubt this is a deal breaker, especially due to webOs' slick interface.

I'm pretty sure they are targeting the entry level smartphone crowd, not tech enthusiasts, so I highly doubt it's a dealbreaker for many. Dealbreaker for me? Yes. But I don't think I'm their intended target. This strategy seems extremely similar to what they did with the Centro. Here's hoping they don't abandon support for the more expensive devices like they did after the Centro released...

Yes, but I probably would not stick around as long. Homebrew expands the possibilities immensely and fixes a lot of outstanding issues with patches.

HTC likes to charge way too much and no hardware keyboard is a dealbreaker for me.

They had a good thing going with the Treo Preo and 800w (other than the fact that 800w had a bazillion problems). I get that Palm couldn't handle maintaining both while doing r&d on webOs though. Ideally I would like the WM phones to still be coming out.

Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?[/LIST]
    Survive, yeah. Seriously rival others like iPhone, BB? I kinda doubt it.
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    Hey Phil!

Welcome to Promise land! A linux Based Palm Branded OS.

1. webOS is doing a great job. They have made a (small) dent in the market, have re-invented how to manage multi tasking, is creating an amazing community here, and has plenty of room for growth. It may not be as powerful as WM but it's sooo easy on the eyes!

2. The Pixi is a perfect Gateway smartphone the same way the Centro was. My gf got the Pixi and loves it (she had a 755p before). And she's the idea person for the Pixi, she doesn't use Wifi, is happy to have Bluetooth, and loves the size. So it's great for what it's made for and it's cheap!

3. Homebrew is amazing! I'm a linux nerd for work and play but i don't enjoy modding files and running diffs to see what has changed. Preware is an amazing App that does everything I need to mod my Pre and then some. I haven't used a Theme yet but i'm sure it's only time. The best part is the fact that everyone is standardizing on the package format so no one is left out and you can access it all from one Application. If it didn't exsist, I'd probably complain more and wouldn't like the Pre as much, but then again if I did know it existed would i really miss it?

4. Oh man, if webOS was hacked onto a HTC HD2 I'd buy one the second I get my tax return next year! it would be a thing of beauty

5. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from buying a Treo 800w when they had a CDMA Treo Pro around the corner... Now Palm can focus on one Platform.

6. What's the long run? Palm's webOS will be around for a while. and Palm idea's and influence will be around even longer. As long as they keep their eye on the prize, don't lay another Foleo, and keep innovating they'll be fine. I hope they learned from history and are not doomed to repeat it.

Tim
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    2nd day of entry
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    Nice to have you here.

How are you liking WebOS now? Are you having any issues with your trial?

In regards to your questions, I will... Palm will PHAIL!!!!!!!

I'm kidding of course.

I think the thing to note is that Palm is a fairly small company compared to the other major smartphone makers. In terms of what they have to sale to be successful and to survive is not the same as what Microsoft or Apple would have to sale.

Palm will do well as long as they do not do anything crazy. The WebOS platform is solid and very impressive. There is room in the market for Palm, Microsoft, Google's Android, Nokia, and Apple to all sell phones. As far as immerse gaming, there will be a time that user (like they are now) will scream for Iphone like games and graphics, but it will get there in time. Either officially or homebrew.

No wifi on the Pixi really doesn't effect me since I have the Pre, however, there is a niche that will get the Pixi and love it. A few of my co-workers have the Pixi and love it

In regards to Homebrew, it is not necessary. There are hundreds of thousands of WebOS users who do not use Homebrew in any form or fashion. Probably only 10-15% actually use homebrew. So without homebrew, WebOS would survive, however, I do think homebrew push and determines which way Palm will go in WebOS by visiting Precentral and its forums.

As far as financially, I don't think there are in as bad as everyone think, but we will see tomorrow during their report.

In all, WebOS is here to stay and will live long and prosper ( sorry, just finished watching star trek)
    Palm will survive and WebOS will continue to grow
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast