Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?

The OS will for sure hold up and be copied in the long run, its openness and extendibility are some of its greatest features.

As long as sony is making the PSP and Nintendo is making the DS, smart phone gaming is going to be dwarfed. It appears as if most folks view it as a novelty to be able to play NFS on their phone but it doesn't seem to be the goto platform at least yet.

2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?

I would buy a pixi for my wife.. but wouldn't use it personally, too underpowered.

3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?

No, open access and homebrew are what makes this platform for me. Remember how awesome the dreamcast was? Lets just hope palm isn't completely like sega.

4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.

WebOS on more reliable hardware will be a sight to behold ...

5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.

I'm sorry for your loss.

6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?

They won't go belly up.. most likely someone will buy them. They have too much IP in the smart phone game. If their stock goes down someone will pick them up.. maybe nokia.. maybe ms.. whoever has deep pockets and wants talent.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    I think it will hold up. I think the software is excellent and with some work it could become a great platform. I think WebOS means that the phone should be great when on the WEB. So I think it should be good enough to handle some of those online games when FLASH comes out.

2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    The Pixi is quite the phone. I feel as if it's geared toward a certain type of consumer. I've seen so many people get curves lately because of the price drop. I think that those who have a curve right now should look into a pixi 2.0 because it's optimal for the mass texting/emailing consumer.

3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    I feel like without Homebrew it would not have all started. I would not have kept my phone, and if I did, I'd be left with close to nothing. It's very difficult to live without patches, I must say. I have a few on my phone, including the 5x5 icon set on the launcher page. Homebrew apps also graduate and become part of the Catalog. (However, seeing as Brighthouse Labs is 1/7th of the Catalog, it doesn't really mean much =/)

I'm drooling. I would like something like that because the themes I could put on the phone would come to life.... What a seductive phone.
    However, HTC's UI overlaying a Palm phone would be something to see, right?

5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    Yes, but I think they might update their Treo Pro line? Not sure =/

6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    I feel like what they show at CES this year should be very interesting. It could bring a lot of new things that actually could keep Palm in the long run. We have quite a community here, and I doubt we'll let the Pre fall. I think without Precentral and the large group that occupies it, it would be much easier for Palm to fall apart and not make it in the long run. This website keeps consumers coming back to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    I can't believe they haven't been screaming louder yet. But, things look to be changing soon. I can't wait.
    The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    The reception in my house is a joke, I can't live without WiFi, deal-killer for me
    Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Are there still people that don't Homebrew and Patch? Well, my sister is one of them and she doesn't see what's so great about the Pre. I try to teach, but ......
    Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    Maybe. They announced and released the Pre way too early. I feel that us early adopters were the unpaid QA department. And now with the Pre available so cheep....I sort of feel ripped off. But, I have bragging rights!!!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    what happened to Phil? maybe he's totally immersed in the awesomeness that is WebOS & Homebrew apps
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

As for licensing to other handsets... sony clie, anyone? how'd that work out? 'nuff said.
    The sony clie was freakin awesome.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Phil750;2092746]

I think WebOs will hold up, as long as palm gets moving on basic functions. I don't know about major gaming on webOS as a big deal. I don't need Need for Speed, but some fun time wasting games is what i want.

As for the Pixi. I already have a pre, so why would i want a smaller screen, slower processor, and no wifi. I think the pixi is great for people who don't already own a Pre, or for people who are coming from a regular cell phone.

No for me Homebrew and patches have saved webOS

it would be cool for webOS to be on a HTC HD2, but I'll be happy when the Pre utilizes all its hardware it has now ie. GPU

Palm will be around longer then Windows Mobile (sorry i have to say it)
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Phil,

I started out with an IPAQ 1500 then the 1910. Moved to the Audiovox 5700 on ATT then to the Mogul on Sprint. I was number six in line at the store when the Pre landed. I'll NEVER go back. Are there a few things I did on WinMo that I can't currently do with my Pre? Sure, but there is WAY more that I can do well on my Pre that was just to painful with my other devices, and we are just at the tip of the iceberg. Microsoft had the bull by the horns for a while in the mobile space but I don't think they really get it anymore. My guess is that unless they change something pretty fast WinMo will dwindle while Apple, Palm and Android continue to grow. I have never worried about games, that is what game devices are for. The Treo Pro is great, it would be even better with WebOS on it.
    Hey Phil,

as a long time WinMo user, what would cause you to switch to WebOS as your primary device? What is stopping from switching?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I think one of the big likes on this phone is the ability to "hack" or "patch" it. Unlike other companies Palm is encouraging it and even implementing ideas around the patches. I believe Palm is listening to its customers through sites like these and taking what we say and are doing something about it. It may be a slow process on their part but they are doing it.

I would love to see a bigger screen without a keyboard or slab like. I love the feature of the hidden keyboard and the way the phone opens up to it but unfortunately the design has some flaws, ie Oreo effect, but the HTC was not with out flaws, I had the HTC touch pro, for about a week, and the slide feature was very loose and split apart.

I would love to see an integration of the HTC os and webos, I think some cool things could happen there. But webos on an HTC would not be Palm and that is who Ive been loyal to for the last 7 years. I tried the HTC the week before the Pre came out and exchanged it the day the Pre came out and have been happy ever since. I would not buy an HTC because webos was on it.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I know this thread isnt about Sprint, but I need a post today. So I thought I would give a thumbs up to sprint. I think they're doing a great job as far as customer service is concerned.

1. My phone has awful reception in my house. Strange considering all my other Sprint phones had great service (probably a Pre hardware issue). Sprint stepped in with a FREE Airave device.

2. Pre blew speakerphone last week. Sprint hooked me up with a brand spankin new one (most likely a refurb, but who cares?). I dont have any insurance through them, but they did it free of charge. thanks Sprint.

3. They gave all of us free mobile-to-mobile without chargin us a penny. Extras? sure, thanks sprint.

Everyone says they are holding back the Pre. I know because of their low customer base, they probably are but it doesnt make sense. Sprint has by far the lowest cost plans for data+text+phone. Good customer service, and good reception in most areas (unlike the AT&T fiasco we all know about). It surprises me that more people arent coming to Sprint, with or without the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I know this thread isnt about Sprint, but I need a post today. So I thought I would give a thumbs up to sprint. I think they're doing a great job as far as customer service is concerned.

1. My phone has awful reception in my house. Strange considering all my other Sprint phones had great service (probably a Pre hardware issue). Sprint stepped in with a FREE Airave device.

2. Pre blew speakerphone last week. Sprint hooked me up with a brand spankin new one (most likely a refurb, but who cares?). I dont have any insurance through them, but they did it free of charge. thanks Sprint.

3. They gave all of us free mobile-to-mobile without chargin us a penny. Extras? sure, thanks sprint.

Everyone says they are holding back the Pre. I know because of their low customer base, they probably are but it doesnt make sense. Sprint has by far the lowest cost plans for data+text+phone. Good customer service, and good reception in most areas (unlike the AT&T fiasco we all know about). It surprises me that more people arent coming to Sprint, with or without the Pre.
    I don't think sprint is intentionally holding WebOS back (maybe with the whole no WiFi on the pixi thing) but Verizon and ATT have a much larger market so at the end of day by being exclusive to Sprint, Palm and WebOS is missing out on a lot of customers. Hopefully this will change in January.

Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts. We're kicking off the third annual Smartphone Round Robin, and in Week 1 I'm looking at Palm's webOS, the Pre and the Pixi.

Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

So throw me a friggin' bone here, OK? I need some help. And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice. More details on that and plenty more on the third annual Smartphone Round Robin here.
    1) depends on the crowd that are moving into this market.
    2) to me no, to my wife on the other hand... well ignorance is bliss
    3) coming from winmo i knew that homebrew would come soon enough just based on linux communities. And adding homebrew being as easy as it is... well lets just say i expect more from winmo now
    4) Would be really nice. HTC hardware is usually top notch (minus the proc and odd RAM quantity). I would do it. (grabs old touch pro in anticipation)
    5) winmo has been WAY to stagnant. I don't blame them.
    6) for this does not matter as much. I already have the phone and as long as its community supported like it is i would be happy. Official updates are always a plus though.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    1. Yes it will hold up. People will always scream for something else. Evolution takes time. Palm has room to grow the OS.

2. Everyone needs a entry device, choice is never bad. The centro introducted millions of people to the world of smartphones hopeful the pixi will do the same to WebOS. I don't think no wifi is a deal breaker for the general population, as long as it has data most people don't care where it comes from.

3. I brought the pre on day one. Homebrew is a plus.

4. Its noon and too earlier for me to have wet dreams.

6. I think Palm will continue to be a player in the smartphone space.
    Last edited by Doc31; 12/16/2009 at 12:31 PM.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    So Phil,

What are your impressions of WebOS to date? Are you testing the "WebOS expierience" on both the Pre, and the Pixi? Any thoughts on both pieces of hardware?

I was also wondering what your thoughts are on Palm putting WebOS devices on other carriers. IMO, the exclusive with Sprint hurt Palm more then it helped, in terms of the numbers of potetial customers they could have had. Do you think it's a case of being released to the masses too late? Thanks.
    Yes I feel that with the possibilities of what the OS can actually do that in the future of it is strong. How long? Heck some are already asking for it!

For Some it's a deal killer but has of recently in the FCC website they have show a Pixi with WiFi on Verizon Feq's. My fiancee asked me the same thing the other day.. why do i need wifi.. I just looked at her dumbfounded...

Yes, I have actually thought long and hard about this. I would still use the WebOS Compared to most OS's it just a infant and I can forgive a few issues that are wrong with it. I honestly do not know of ANY product that came out and was perfect.

This could be a good mix. The Problem is that while Lots of people like virtual keyboard. There are just as many that dislike them or can't use it because they need tactile touches. My fiancee is one such person that actually can not type on a virtual keyboard because of MS.

Although I have heard a few people say this they needed to do this to concentrate on the new OS they have created.

Yes.
    First, I would have returned my Pre within the 30 day "trial period" had it not been for the amazing homebrew guys. But the kind of customization that is capable is surely a nightmare for Palm and Sprint support. They do not officially endorse any of the homebrew scene. Palm is simply turning a blind eye, as not to shoot themselves in the foot. So unless Palm/webOS officially adopts/incorporates something like Preware with the ability to return the system to "default look" for tech support, without erasing files and programs (webOS Doctor + MSL code + log in to Palm profile + restore from backup), then I think webOS will always be humdrum for the majority of Pre owners. However, with all the homebrew stuff on my Pre, I wouldn't give it up for any other currently available phone in the world.

I love the ability to have a few or several apps open simultaneously, not just the phone or phone +1.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I think webos will need to stepup the game before to much longer. we dont HAVE to have the uber- gaming but by god we want it.

no. to each his/her own. if you dont use your phone for web browsing then you dont need wifi. my wife LOVES her pixi.

IDK about everyone else but for me homebrew is the second reason why I love my Pre(number one is the user interface)

I think I just had a geekgasm.

I can see why you would feel bad about that. but in my opinion WM doesnt need Palm hardware.

if anyone can, its palm.

On a personal note: LOATH ON! KOL ROCKS!
    First off, I think Palm will hold up if they get flash, video recording, visual voicemail, voice command, virtual keyboard, and better gaming and apps. If Palm doesn't give Pre users the necessary upgrades they will go elsewhere!!! The Droid and possibly the HTC Hero are game changers!!!! WebOs is GREAT I love the multi-tasking capabilities. The synergy is great worth waiting on updates!!!! I can tell you the truth, the Pixi without WiFi is a deal breaker, not everyone has money to spend on a data plan! Homebrew apps are cool too, If Homebrew apps weren't available I probably would of given up my Pre months ago. The apps in the app catalog are lagging to say the least! Out of 782 apps only less than 30 make sense! Who needs a fart app, give us better apps, not sports apps, not everyone is into sports! I'm a mother of three I prefer apps that I could use in the my everyday life, please no more sports apps!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rider910 View Post
    First off, I think Palm will hold up if they get flash, video recording, visual voicemail, voice command, virtual keyboard, and better gaming and apps. If Palm doesn't give Pre users the necessary upgrades they will go elsewhere!!! The Droid and possibly the HTC Hero are game changers!!!! WebOs is GREAT I love the multi-tasking capabilities. The synergy is great worth waiting on updates!!!! I can tell you the truth, the Pixi without WiFi is a deal breaker, not everyone has money to spend on a data plan! Homebrew apps are cool too, If Homebrew apps weren't available I probably would of given up my Pre months ago. The apps in the app catalog are lagging to say the least! Out of 782 apps only less than 30 make sense! Who needs a fart app, give us better apps, not sports apps, not everyone is into sports! I'm a mother of three I prefer apps that I could use in the my everyday life, please no more sports apps!!
    Yea, I never understood fart apps, but they are kind of like a "Hello world" program. They just need to be done on a new system.

I think sport apps are fine and should be included, but make it one app, instead of 32 or however many there are by Brighthouse labs.

Also I don't think you can even buy a pixi without a data plan. I know you have to have a data plan to use the Pre.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    After going through alot of these responses, it really looks like people are really starting to like and support webOS. And I cant blame them considering that the OS and the hardware that comes with it is very well built...

I personally dont have a webOS phone but I honestly think that I would love to have one! they seem great... if i ever left blackberry it would be a hard choice to make between the webOS and android!
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast