Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1) WebOS will hold up because of consumers that would rather have practical functionality than to play games. You need the first before the other think N-Gage.

2) The Pixie is great for an average non smartphone savvy consumer. Also, if your on the go a lot your not using wifi anyway. The lack of speeed isn't that big a deal unless you plan on major mulititasking, but from what I've seen the Pixi loads up faster than the Pre and thats a big plus

3)I'm not a pre user but I believe that I can answer for them when I say NO! If you take away the Homebrew you gonna be in the same boat as that dictatorship they call Apple... yes I said it

4) Everyone wants an HD2, if WebOS was on it, it would fly off the shelves. If Android was on it, it would fly of the shelves. If OSX was on it it would have a better graphics driver and fly off the shelves. With Windows Mobile on it, it will fly off the shelves and into my hands.

5)My first WinMo device was an HTC Touch (I know I loose all credibility now) but my cuz had a treo running WinMo and loved it... the end

6)Palm and Sprint are in the same boat so it made sense to partner up. I think both companies are in it for the long run
    1. I think WebOS will definitely hold up. I'll give Palm and the developers another 6 months to get full on gaming and graphics sorted. The platform is still young but they should be learning from other platforms and have a slight advantage to not make some of the mistakes others have made.
    2. No WiFi in the Pixi is a total deal breaker for me. I disagree with Palm's method for having a flagship phone and a lesser phone. The Pixi should be able to do everything the Pre does. The form factor should be the only difference.
    3. If there were only the App Catalog and no homebrew I wouldn't be able to stick WebOS, at least not for now. Coming from WinMo I have to be able to tweak it to fit my style of use.
    4. WebOS on a HD2? I'm more interested in Android 2.0 on an HD2.
    5. No Palm WinMo device...Meh.
    6. I think Palm will do better once they get more devices out to other carriers. They might be struggling for a while longer but I think they'll eventually become a very stable (financially) company.
  3. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?

That's definitely a drawback, not a deal breaker for me, but something I'd like to have.

The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?

Lack of wifi is definitely a deal killer for me.

Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?

Nope, it's part of what makes webOS great. Without it, I wouldn't have got my Pre as soon as I did.
    Well as a loyal sprint customer for many years I have gone through highs and lows. With my Sanyo, to my Moto Q. And last year I was eligible to leave sprint and go get an Iphone or something, but I stayed loyal. After seeing the Palm I was hooked. in August of 2009, i was granted a 2 yr deal and a new pre. I have a lot of highs, and lows with this phone. getting to that I will answer these questions

Is webOS going to hold up? The concept is still pretty new, in the womb stage. I have no idea of its capabilites. But I know that The iphone allows you to play better games on their phone with better graphics, so if palm wants to compete they better get on the ball on working this.

The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer? I think it is a big slap in the face to offer a phone that doesnt have the power capability and the wi fi as if counterpart. I mean I know people want thin slim phones, but when you need to do something on your phone and you can't access what you need due to that lil bit of power thats not there, than your asking for trouble.

Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS? God no, the apps store makes me sick already with its lack of apps. I mean i dont see how Iphone can crank out 35 good apps a day it seems and palm puts out over priced worthless apps.

webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it. It could be worth a try. I have played with an HTC phone and I really like the way it works now, so maybe it could be tested.

I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now. I agree, I kinda liked a window mobile phone .

Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run? Well with todays economy, I hope and wish palm luck, but there needs to be A Key word for palm and thats attention, you need to keep getting peoples attention by making the phone better than the last... and not using bad commericals like when palm pre first came out. the pixie commericals are a lot nicer.
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics? seems like it's already happening
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer? Yes!
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS? Nope
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it. MMMMMMMMM......
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now. Poor hardware and a poor OS? Good riddance
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run? Does being bought out by RIM count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    [*]Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?[*]The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?[*]Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?[*]webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.[*]I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.[*]Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?[/LIST]
    My wife has a pre and I can give a go at a lot of these questions.
    1. They better get GPU up and running ASAP, will be needed to get good games on the platform for mass appeal.
    2. Pixi will not be for the power user, but for most it will be just fine.
    3. Homebrew was vital in the beginning, but the app catalog is getting along very well for the uninitiated homebrew user.
    4. COOL, but I like keyboards
    5. Hope you feel better
    6. I hope they make it, WebOS is making others platform makers look in their rear view mirror and make some needed changes to their platforms.

I would love to be able to run the best of WebOS and WM on a phone, killer!
    Last edited by NPR_aficionado; 12/14/2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    I agree with your question five... WebOS would make it if pal went down, Im sure sprint would love to put it on many of their other phones
    question 3 im in total agreeance... the app catalog will not compare and i just have not nor will i know if ill ever purchase an app
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics? Nobody I know buys a phone to replace their gaming device; it's just nice to have.
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer? The Pixi is targeting people new to the smartphone market. Dumbphones are even more underpowered and almost never have Wi-Fi. So the Pixi is a step up for their major target.
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS? I don't homebrew and I love the phone.
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it. Sexy, perhaps, but too big and bulky for my tastes.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now. Don't really know how to respond, so I won't.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run? The OS is so good that even if they make a phone with atrocious hardware, they should be secure.
    Hey Phil,

A few quick things about webOS.

1) Anyone who waited more than 18-24 months to upgrade their smartphones (like me) was amazed and dazzled with features like multi-tasking... ect. I switched from a Centro.

2) I had a Treo Pro for a short time. Windows Mobile is great for the professional crowd but I found little use for it. My job is more technical and less paperwork so it didn't help me. Its still sitting in my desk drawer if anybody has a use for it. lol.

3) I don't us homebrew... I'm not a tech guy and I have nightmares about my letting the magic smoke out of my Pre (I hear that once you let the magic smoke out, you can't get it back in). The app store is growing everyday and I am happy with what is currently availble. I can wait for the apps I miss from my other devices.

4)I looked at the Pixi to see if it was something that I would rather have after I got my Pre. The screen size was a huge motivator for me to buy the Pre. The pixi undoes that feature. About that Wifi... I don't use it that often. I actually don't talk on the hone that much so I can use sprints data service most of the time.

5) Overall, I think WebOS is still leaps ahead of anything I've used. It will hold up as long as Palm keeps updating and improving. I refuse to comment on the financial status of the company. I'm not an accountant.
    Now don't tell anybody at WME that I said this, but that's a pretty darn solid platform you've got there. But that doesn't mean I don't have questions. So, help me out with the following:

1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    1. I think WebOS is going to NEED to open up that GPU and get fully immersive gaming experiences going on. A big seller for the IPhone is the games, not just the apps. I sell cellphones here in canada-land, and I get a number of people asking for the iphone, so they can buy it outright, use wifi on a cheap voice plan, and just have the downloadable games with basic voice service, instead of carrying Itouch and a cheap voice phone, too many devices then.
    2. I doubt the Pixi's lack of power is a real deal killer, the Pixi is great for light power users, or new smartphone users, because its simple, attractive, and functionality to introduce the user to the world of data capabilities. To me, I see the Pixi being geared towards younger people, 19/20 or so, women in particular, most male smartphone users would go with the pre, unless they really had a problem with sliders.
    3. If there was no homebrew, I would have trashed my Pre and bought an Omnia II, or BB device. God bless the folks at WebOS Internals, and the PreWare app.
    4. I don't know a lot about the HTC HD2, cause I haven't seen one in person yet, and its not really in Canada-land.
    5. ok understandable.
    6. Palm will make it if they unleash the GPU on WebOS, the smartphone market will feed on any major faults behind an OS, and it will ruin the OS's reputation, and ruin Palm in the meantime. They're having a hard enough time selling it, maybe they should worry about why people ARENT buying it, rather than extra emphasis on the stuff people are already buying it for (spending they're research funding on removing the app limit, when PreWare already has a patch for it... cmon palm, you need to convince new people to buy a WebOS device, not worry so much about the people that already like and own webOS)
    Hey, everybody. Phil here from WMExperts.
    Hi Phil!

Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    While I'm no stranger to liking kewl things on my electronic toys, and I do look longingly at times at the smooth gameplay on the iPhone, I'm not that concerned about the gameplay of the Pre. I would like it to operate smoother though. There are times, not that often, that the nice graphic effects of sliding apps up, around, etc, gets bogged down and the UI freezes. I'm willing to bet that it will be much better by the time WebOS 2.0 shows up (perhaps 2.0 will bring the improvements itself) and to prove it, I'm keeping the Pre.

The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    For me? Yes, no wifi was a killer. I like Sprint and their rock bottom deals and I usually don't have a problem with coverage. For whatever reason though, at my house I don't get a good EVDO signal. No wifi for me means no phone usage other than the occasional phone call. One of the ladies I work with took a different phone back to Sprint and picked up a Pixi and says she's in love with it.

Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Yep. Next question.

webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    I'm not too fond of the virtual keyboards. It takes me 10 minutes just to type an e-mail address on my son's HTC Hero.

[*]Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    I would definitely hope so. I'm not planning on giving up my Pre just yet. They've got some good leadership now, a great product, and if what we're reading is true, plans to spread the wealth to a lot of carriers. All that equates to more time for Palm to completely right the ship. Remember, there was a time when Apple was looking at going bankrupt and Microsoft stepped in with friendly money. I can't forget the "1984ish" scene of Jobs standing on stage with a large screen picture of Bill Gates behind him.

And remember that anytime you add a post here, you're entered to win a webOS device of your choice.
    OK, well, here's opportunity #1.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I agree with what most are saying about webOS being around for awhile. The only concern I have is the carrier agreement, and the lack of new devices on the horizon. They need to get out more devices and on other carriers. Sprint is a hindrance IMHO.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    welcome Phil. WebOS is here to stay, IMHO. Palm Pre has a lot to offer, and the OS is still only in release 1.... lots of goodness yet to come. I came from WinMo, and I'll never look back.
    BTW, having tried ATT & Verizon, I have to say- thank you Sprint, for giving us freedom to hack our phones, and for making it affordable to use all the bells & whistles!
    Last edited by rodhnc; 12/14/2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
    Quick updates is key here, to both the platform and the sdk... probably some webgl gpu access by the time the second gen pre comes out, CSS transforms for interface acceleration soonish...

2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    Well, not if you're waiting to get it on verizon, which will get wifi. Being a sprint person, I wish it did have wifi, though it's not too big an issue with sprint 3G having pretty good coverage, and with good US data roaming too (at no extra cost from sprint)

3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Yes, but I would be a lot less patient. the thing is with a platform such as this, a "homebrew" style community is bound to pop up.

4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    Nah... I like having a physical keyboard.

5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    A Necessary cost reduction and product focus step... nothing personal .

6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
    Yes I think they will... they might not be as big as the iPhone (at least not in the US), but with more local (at&t and verizon) and world wide carriers (and hopefully future unlocked devices), I think they will be doing very well, providing that they keep the updates coming.

P.S: I'd like a pixie for my wife plz?...
    on sprint lack of wifi is a deal breaker, on verizon not so much
    1. As a business tool, gaming wouldn't be its priority. But, if it's targeting consumers, then it needs to improve.
    2. Yes
    3. Probably
    4. Nice!
    6. Perhaps
    Great video Phil! I think that WebOS will hold up, and will get even better. I do think that a lot of people will be yammering for intensive gaming, and hopefully Palm will come through in that area.

I think that Palm will make it if they continue to make great devices like the Pre and Pixie.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hi there phil

as a former WM user, it was nice to see this post.

WebOS is definitely staying. People seem to forget, that Palm doesn't NEED or necessarily WANT to be as big as Apple or Google. They haven't been for a long time, and they survived a long time like that before things started going downhill and they needed this 'reinvention'.

As for licensing to other handsets... sony clie, anyone? how'd that work out? 'nuff said.

Why is everything judged against the iPhone? There are plenty of successful things out there that aren't that big.

WebOS is NOT going to 'beat' Android or iPhone. But why does it need to?
    Former WM user that jumped on the webOS bandwagon.

1) I want to believe that it will hold up but the msn article HERE scares me
    2) I think the difference in speed with the Pixi and Pre is negligible to the average user.
    3) Without Homebrew and Patches I would not be on webOS. Same goes for WM and probably any mobile OS. The ability to customize your phone is essential to power users.
    4) That would be fantastic.
    6) I am a pessimist, so I have a feeling they will get bought out
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast