Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Nothin' here but my own opinions:
    1. Is webOS going to hold up? Sure, it's great for now. But how long until everybody's screaming for immersive gaming and full-on graphics?
      Now waitaminit, that's two questions (plus a statement, but I'll ignore that). My answer to the first is sure it's going to hold up, as long as Palm keeps improving on it. The second is a mixed answer. The literal answer is "never", that's how long before everyone starts screaming. However, some folks already are. I personally don't think it's largely important, but then, I'm probably not the demographic Palm's aiming for (my g-kids are too young, but they are probably aiming for my kids). I suspect Palm will always be a bit weak on hard-core graphics games, but I expect they'll improve. Until then, they'll loose some of those folks that are looking for that; but that's just part of doing business, you can't please everyone at once.
    2. The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
      I hate sounding obtuse, but the simple answer is, it will be for some (I'd never buy myself one), but won't for others. My wife wants one, she doesn't care about WiFi (her Centro doesn't have it) and the camera is better than her Centro. It's a step up for her, and she gets to enjoy some of what I have. I suspect that a lot of folks will buy for the same reasons (and the price...)
    3. Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
      Yes, but I suspect I'd be a bit more disappointed. Fact is, we don't know for sure. Who knows - possibly in some areas, HomeBrew has discouraged some of the commercial developers. We can speculate "what ifs", but that's really just a guess. I do like what I've got, that's the important thing to me. I'm also going to disagree with your initial comment some. I used to burn custom ROMs for my Treo, and HomeBrew is NOTHING like that, unless you consider butchering a cow and grinding your own hamburger a lot like buying an Angus Swiss and 'Shroom from McD's.
    4. webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
      Gonna have to plead ignorance on this one, is that anything like R2-D2? If so, that would be awsome!! I'm wondering if we'd be able to switch cards while R2 holigrams Princess Leia for us...
    5. I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
      OK, this one isn't a question, maybe that's making up for the two in one on the first. However, have they killed it yet? Aren't they still selling? I realize there's no more hardware updates coming in the line, but most of us didn't expect much more on that line when it was introduced (though we were really expecting it to go away for far different reasons... glad that didn't happen!!
    6. Palm's still not out of the financial woods yet. Do you think they're going to make it in the long run?
      Hard to say without clearer definitions of "make it" and "long run". I suspect they'll still be in business under the name "Palm" for the next several years, and I further expect they'll be profitable for most of that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Is webOS going to hold up?
    webOS is not quite perfect yet, but it is getting there. I am sure Palm is going to keep improving it, so yes its here to stay.
    The Pixi's a cute little phone, but is the trade-off in power, and the (current) lack of WiFi, a deal-killer?
    webOS without wifi would not work for me. Lets hope there will be a pixi with wifi soon.
    Homebrew is darn cool, a lot like being able to load custom ROMs on HTC devices. If there was no Homebrew and you were left only with the App Catalog, would you still be on webOS?
    Yes, webos would still be good, but for the moment i am very glad, that there is homebrew (especially for the patches).
    webOS on an HTC HD2. Just picture it.
    I want a keyboard, so to me the hd2 is not really interisting. webOS on the droid would be great though!
    I'm still a little P-Od that Palm killed the Windows Mobile Treo. Had to get that out there. I feel better now.
    Windows and palm was never a good choice imo. So i am really glad, that they decided to stop that.
    Phil, nice review..(It's over at the WM site). It was nice reading your perspective of WebOS.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    re: #3: Homebrew

Though I have only had my pre for a week now, I can say until I found precentral and preware, etc - I was a bit dissappointed in the phone and its layout. Most of the patches are welcomed and logical.

That being said, if the Iphone was at sprint, I would have got it because of the amazing support in term of home may people are making apps for it. I am jealous that they have cool apps like redbox, etc
    As for wondering if WebOS will last, `tis a silly question. The OS is fine. It's the company everyone's concerned about.

I currently use a Treo 755p on a SERO plan though I've started coding for WebOS. The OS is wonderful. I just wish I could afford the cost of the plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacos View Post
    It's a ligitimate campaign strategy, but not one Palm can wage effectively at this stage with their tight resources. They need clear, obvious reasons for consumers to see the benefits in choosing them over another well-established brand.. and the ghostly, daydream ads aren't as helpful.
    I agree with everyone's comments about Palm's advertising and the need for visibility. It was interesting to hear Jon Rubenstein's comments at the earnings release about upcoming marketing investments. I'm hoping this is not only a big push but also a real change in Palm philosophy. Going back to the Treo line their marketing and advertising commitment has always seemed weak in getting the message out. They have great product, but many people don't even know about it.
    Hi, where's the week 2 post?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    someone I know just bought a pre. He loves it. And he didn't even know about homebrew yet. We need to get webos on more carriers pronto. #1 objective. If everyone knew how great it was, they would buy it.
    I have a Pre, Girl friend has a Pixi. I actually like using the pixi for general websurfing...odd as it is, the smaller screen and the gesture area make it very easy to hold in landscape while surfing or watching videos. More comfortable than the Pre. As much heat as webos takes on these forums, the device will find a niche. I think it already has...And it will survive, even if palm dosent.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    No thread update today?
    With Pre and/or Pixi going to Verizon, any thoughts on what their plans will be? Sprint offers so much in their bundles, I just don't see Verizon coming close.
    another day of entry
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcity00 View Post
    With Pre and/or Pixi going to Verizon, any thoughts on what their plans will be? Sprint offers so much in their bundles, I just don't see Verizon coming close.
    maybe they will offer some better bundles!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smartphone round-robin contest entry
    so this is where we enter eh!

well consider me in
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Doesn't seem like there's much left to say.. just waiting for next week's (Tomorrow's?) thread!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    does this thread still count towards the contest?
    one more entry
    Quote Originally Posted by nuglas View Post
    maybe they will offer some better bundles!
    I sure hope so! They seem to be changning with offering better smartphones, wifi, etc. cheaper bundles would blow away the competition, but their history is to nickle and dime unfortunately...
    one more time
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast