Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    I've considered moving to the pixi also due to build quality. It just feels more solid and and of course less moving parts. Coming from a TX originally it's hard to give up on the screen real estate though.
    another day, another entry
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Hey, everybody. Sorry I haven't been responding more, but I have been reading every response, and you all kick ****!

My webOS write-up went up today. Have at it!
    Nice review... So the 64,000 dollar question: if you had to switch to the Pre or Pixi (your choice) as your regular everyday device, would you (1) be comfortable with that and (2) be happy with that?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smarhphone round-robin contest entry
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    just read the webos review on WinMo site. I was surprised how well the Pre reviewed. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoyed the phone the first time I picked it up.

I think you definitely touched on most of the weaknesses, but didn't harp on them.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    just read the webos review on WinMo site. I was surprised how well the Pre reviewed. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoyed the phone the first time I picked it up.

I think you definitely touched on most of the weaknesses, but didn't harp on them.
    Yes, the novelty of the WebOS still hasn't warn off on me--a sophisticated and intuitive interface.

Palm needs to keep their device hardware completely up-to-date if they want to succeed in this market, but once the build-quality issues are sorted, I could easily see an Apple-styled platform of increasing internal storage while introducing software features / internal optimizations revolving around a relatively stationary device.
    I went from the Palm Centro to Palm Tree 800w to the Pre. Centro was my first smart phone. Palm OS was user friendly and fairly simple to use. Had very little trouble with the phone. However, with the WinMo 800W I was known by name at my local Sprint repair store. It got to where I knew more about the phone than they did. I was so frustrated by it. Was really really mad that i paid full price for the phone and it never worked properly.

I got the Pre the day it was released and have not regretted it, even though it is not a mature OS. I love Synergy and push mail. Have never been a fan of the Blackberry OS and didn't care for AT&T so no iPhone for me. Homebrew is FANTASTIC. Palm has been customer oriented on this front. They even provide webOS doctor in case you brick your phone. Homebrew is one of the nest selling points on the phone.

The Pixi is targeted to a crowd who do not need Wi-Fi, may not even know what the advantages of using it are. Not a deal breaker as this model is for light data users, teens and begining smart phone users. Intended to replace Centro and that phone sold very well.

WinMo had to go. Once they decided they needed new platform, needed to work from the ground up.....look what we got!!!!! WinMO just doesn't excite people.

As long as Palm diversifies it offering on networks they should be fine. IMHO no phone should be locked to one carrier as coverage is not equal from any carrier everywhere. When advising anyone on a phone or carrier, first question is who gives best coverage, then go from there.

Palm has produced an astounding OS. It is user centric and they smartly use the Homebrew community to do work for them. We test out the tweaks, themes and apps. Then Palm can see what is popular, what is missing most for users and it becomes simple for them. No focus groups needed. All data is in the download numbers.
    i prefer them. it is a matter of how big your fingers are and manual dexterity. they are not for everyone.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    Yes, the novelty of the WebOS still hasn't warn off on me--a sophisticated and intuitive interface.

Palm needs to keep their device hardware completely up-to-date if they want to succeed in this market, but once the build-quality issues are sorted, I could easily see an Apple-styled platform of increasing internal storage while introducing software features / internal optimizations revolving around a relatively stationary device.
    Yes, incremental updates. The basic premise of the device is completely solid and I don't see a need to drastically alter it.
    Interesting chatter about a possible "Pre Plus" over on Engadget... from the usual "trusted sources."

What do people think Palm needs to present at their event next month in order to be truly successful?
    Updating the Pre/Pixi, possibly porting it over to other carriers, or a brand new device. But you still need something to grab people away from other brands. I don't know what though...
    another round
    For some reason, my work blocks all pages of Precentral forums except the first page of this thread... so I don't know what's going on in the discussion right now... but here's my two cents anyway.

Is anyone excited about the Palm Pre Plus (PPP)? Is hardware acceleration coming anytime soon?
    Interesting chatter about a possible "Pre Plus" over on Engadget... from the usual "trusted sources."

What do people think Palm needs to present at their event next month in order to be truly successful?
    I hope it's more than just memory boost or minor improvements, but I'm not expecting much more. I hoping to be surprised.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    It's not about the hardware. They need to get more units in the field. Period. The competition hardware is ok, but it's the sexiness of the unit, and the visibility of it "in the wild" that makes apple popular!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishzle View Post
    It's not about the hardware. They need to get more units in the field. Period. The competition hardware is ok, but it's the sexiness of the unit, and the visibility of it "in the wild" that makes apple popular!
    I think Palm has some very nice looking phones...but yeah visibility just isn't there.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccernamlak View Post
    I think Palm has some very nice looking phones...but yeah visibility just isn't there.
    Their advertising just hasn't been remotely successful. Both Apple and HTC/Android have had at least a few very successful ads recently. Palm needs to come back down to Earth and simply state their case. It's an attractive phone with attractive features, there's no need to act like a cryptic magician when showing your ads--and they should show their new campaign off next month. Palm also needs at least a couple new high profile partners and a hardware tweak (memory boost, materials change) to regain interest.. in my opinion.
    Their advertising just hasn't been remotely successful. Both Apple and HTC/Android have had at least a few very successful ads recently. Palm needs to come back down to Earth and simply state their case. It's an attractive phone with attractive features, there's no need to act like a cryptic magician when showing your ads--and they should show their new campaign off next month..
    totally agree... I like the iPhone adds that clearly show you what the phone is and what is can offer. I know others have said that they like the Pixi add, and while it's very "cool",I don't think it helps to show off the phone. C'mon Palm, create an add that tells the public what the phone can do and why it's better than the competition!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    totally agree... I like the iPhone adds that clearly show you what the phone is and what is can offer. I know others have said that they like the Pixi add, and while it's very "cool",I don't think it helps to show off the phone. C'mon Palm, create an add that tells the public what the phone can do and why it's better than the competition!
    It's a ligitimate campaign strategy, but not one Palm can wage effectively at this stage with their tight resources. They need clear, obvious reasons for consumers to see the benefits in choosing them over another well-established brand.. and the ghostly, daydream ads aren't as helpful.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Smarhphone round-robin contest entry
    RE: Windows Mobile: I really miss Windows Mobile's cut, copy, and paste features in Calendar. Each day I copy client appointments and paste in future weeks etc. The Pre drives me crazy in this regard!!
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 12/21/2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: emoticon didn't work