Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Android is evolving at an unparalleled pace....

Exclusive: first Google Phone / Nexus One photos, Android 2.1 on-board -- Engadget

EDIT: WHOOPS! Should have said Android 2.1....sorry. It's late here.
    The novelty of WebOS-style cards wore off some time ago since HTC started pumping Sense UI ads everywhere showing a phone swiping from screen to screen.

Stock Android having an implementation of this is no surprise. 2.0 already has superior synergy. But that is the nature of competition. Palm simply has to keep innovating, while improving Tue utility and responsiveness of their current features.

Oh...and they might wanna make just ONE commercial that actually shows these features in close-up and explains them.
    I saw that last night as well. It was only a matter of time before someone else implemented a similar feature. Rumor has that the Iphone 4.0 OS is going be basically rip off the card system whole sale.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    I saw that last night as well. It was only a matter of time before someone else implemented a similar feature. Rumor has that the Iphone 4.0 OS is going be basically rip off the card system whole sale.
    iPhone already had card style view for their browser long ago so for Apple to implement it into the entire OS would not be a surprise if they intend to implement some sort of multitasking in 4.0.

Joe
    innovation ?? You mean like the lg projector phone I saw advertised on tv yesterday lol yeah that's innovation even though they have had this type of phone for 2 or 3 years in china or korea and now its in the states or soon to be anyways.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It's not quite webOS style, it's for homescreens, which are like desktops, multiple desktops, instead of multitasking, all you get are more widgets and icons per desktop.
    I don't want multiple homescreens or whatever.

I want a simple UI. WebOS is great. Iphone with card like multitasking would be great.

It's still apple for me with the only thing changing that if apple fails to get multitasking and an improved screen going. But i couldn't see switching to android no matter what. Too much like windows mobile. Palm still has my interest though but it'd have to be a new high end device along with an improved sdk.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Time to switch to Android
  9. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It's not quite webOS style, it's for homescreens, which are like desktops, multiple desktops, instead of multitasking, all you get are more widgets and icons per desktop.
    That's right "...card-style preview of all homescreen pages."

When I looked at the HERO there were already like seven home screens, and you could swipe left/right between them. They were just there all the time. What's the point of then adding a card view to see what homescreens you could swipe to, then close the card view and actually do the swiping? What's the point? Just swipe to the homescreen you want in the first place.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't want multiple homescreens or whatever.

I want a simple UI. WebOS is great. Iphone with card like multitasking would be great.

It's still apple for me with the only thing changing that if apple fails to get multitasking and an improved screen going. But i couldn't see switching to android no matter what. Too much like windows mobile. Palm still has my interest though but it'd have to be a new high end device along with an improved sdk.
    Doesn't get much more simple than this:

I've only got 3 home screens right now, but I can go up to 7 if I want, but I don't need that, I like the simple setup I have now. It's really no different than having multiple launcher panels on the Pre. The icons on the leftmost screen btw, control functions like WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, etc, I can disable or enable them on the fly. So simple, so clean looking, and so functional.

And multitasking on Android is incredibly simple, hold down the Home key and switch to whatever app you want. No harder than pressing the gesture button and selecting a card in WebOS.
    If you look at the last picture, it appears to show a thumbnail of all cards/homescreens.

I think this is what some are referring to that brings it closer the the webOS style?

Otherwise... yeah... even the Hero (at 1.5+ Android) has the 7 homescreens.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Doesn't get much more simple than this:

I've only got 3 home screens right now, but I can go up to 7 if I want, but I don't need that, I like the simple setup I have now. It's really no different than having multiple launcher panels on the Pre. The icons on the leftmost screen btw, control functions like WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, etc, I can disable or enable them on the fly. So simple, so clean looking, and so functional.

And multitasking on Android is incredibly simple, hold down the Home key and switch to whatever app you want. No harder than pressing the gesture button and selecting a card in WebOS.
    First , why would you want 7 homescreens ? I am happy to slide out Pre keyboard and type the app name / contact name I want.

Second ? why would I want to hold the home button then switch between when I can toggle between windows (cards) with a swipe, on while one that I can see both cards partially too. This cannot be done on the Hero.

The current cards interface is best. I hope APPLE betters it.
    It would be great on iPhone.
    Android , for all its fancy open source will end up a *******ized child.
    Folks have been talking about "Fragmentation". You will see it in a year or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    First , why would you want 7 homescreens ? I am happy to slide out Pre keyboard and type the app name / contact name I want.

Second ? why would I want to hold the home button then switch between when I can toggle between windows (cards) with a swipe, on while one that I can see both cards partially too. This cannot be done on the Hero.

You seem pretty close minded about it. The homescreens are less obtrusive then pressing the button on your Pre to take your current card out of focus and swiping between them and selecting the card you want. You simply swipe from side to side. That's it.

Also, I think you are confusing two separate features? Holding the home button is used a a task manager of sorts. It opens a pop-up of the open apps? It really has nothing to do with the homescreens.

Both (webOS and Android UI) are intuitive and work relatively well. It just depends on which you prefer. The homescreens work very well for someone who wants to have allot of information/widgets readily available on your screen.
    That's fine, but that's how YOU use your device. More homescreens and more widgets equals more freedom/options. I have the Hero and just use five. Eventually, I may get it down to three. It's great having the options available regardless.

Well, if I am going back and forth between 5-6 programs, that's a lot of swiping since it's not kinetic on the Pre. You have to swipe every time you want to advance one card, and it's linear. By holding down the button, getting a list, then tapping, it's non-linear and easier to move between large numbers of programs. And Android happens to have far more programs I'd want to move between at present. But that's just me, personally, and that's in the particular instance of moving between that many apps.

Someday, WebOS will be competitive in this aspect. And if we're talking 1-3 apps to move between, I'd rather have WebOS cards too.

Android's fragmented already. Only real adverse effect is in the Marke thus far. It's sure not hurting recent sales. But then again, Palm's App Catalog is just as fractured...it's just by region instead of device. Eventually, a further fracture will happen when Palm releases a real top-shelf device with a compass. You can't take advantage of all that horsepower and cater to the Pixi at the same time.

I had a reply then firefox crashed. But it pretty much was yours.

On a Pre, i just flip open kb, type a couple of letters and press enter. Go.

On an iphone, i use the main launch screen. Anything else i use spotlight.

The only swiping i'd want to do is open apps or pics. But really just want one launch screen. Ability to do settings from anywhere..drop down. I'd like to see Apple put a search (along with voice) option on the main launch page in 4.0.

Android is too slow to update. Will Sprint android users really have to wait for the first half of 2010 for an update? I wouldn't like seeing another iphone or palm phone come out with a major update and have to wait half a year for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's fine, but that's how YOU use your device. More homescreens and more widgets equals more freedom/options. I have the Hero and just use five. Eventually, I may get it down to three. It's great having the options available regardless.

Well, if I am going back and forth between 5-6 programs, that's a lot of swiping since it's not kinetic on the Pre. You have to swipe every time you want to advance one card, and it's linear. By holding down the button, getting a list, then tapping, it's non-linear and easier to move between large numbers of programs. And Android happens to have far more programs I'd want to move between at present. But that's just me, personally, and that's in the particular instance of moving between that many apps.

Someday, WebOS will be competitive in this aspect. And if we're talking 1-3 apps to move between, I'd rather have WebOS cards too.

Android's fragmented already. Only real adverse effect is in the Marke thus far. It's sure not hurting recent sales. But then again, Palm's App Catalog is just as fractured...it's just by region instead of device. Eventually, a further fracture will happen when Palm releases a real top-shelf device with a compass. You can't take advantage of all that horsepower and cater to the Pixi at the same time.
    Good points as well. It really comes down to how you use your device.
    Android is too slow to update. Will Sprint android users really have to wait for the first half of 2010 for an update? I wouldn't like seeing another iphone or palm phone come out with a major update and have to wait half a year for it.
    What information are you basing this off?
    So many misinformed/uninformed people jumping to assumptions and making poor analogies/comparisons.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I played with a HTC Hero the other day and was not impressed. I'm still happy with my Pre
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    What information are you basing this off?
    So many misinformed/uninformed people jumping to assumptions and making poor analogies/comparisons.
    Sprint says Android 2.0 coming to Hero and Moment first half of next year -- Engadget

In the wake of Verizon's Droid Eris update announcement, Sprint couldn't very well rest on its laurels and let the world go by while its Android babies grow stale on version 1.5, could it? Indeed, the company has announced today (via Twitter, of all things) that it'll be bringing Android 2.0 to the table for its HTC Hero and Samsung Moment in the first half of 2010. Naturally, we wish they could tighten that up to the first quarter (or heck, this month, for that matter), but as far as we can tell, HTC isn't yet done prepping Sense for 2.0 so they're probably in a holding pattern there. As for the Moment, it's running stock 1.5 -- and we'd certainly expect it to run stock 2.0, too -- so we're not sure what the holdup is on Sammy's end, but you can bet we're looking forward to seeing the Google juice running in full AMOLED technicolor.
    Here's the update on Verizon's HTC Eris:

HTC has pulled no punches about the fact that it intends to bring Heros up to Android 2.0 (or is that 2.1?) spec at some point, though neither Sprint nor Verizon had quickly followed on to assure customers that there'd be upgrades ready and waiting for their versions (sure, technically, the Droid Eris is a different internal HTC codename than the Heros of the world, but they're basically brothers from the same mother). Well, good news: Verizon has just announced that it'll be bringing the phone to a "newer" build of Android with integrated Google Maps Navigation for release in the first quarter of 2010.
    Thing is, you're relying on carriers & phone makers (for UI skins if any) for updates. I'd rather rely on Palm or Apple who can simply push em out sooner.
    Last edited by cardfan; 12/14/2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Well, to be fair, they had a maintenance update that increased performance and tweaked features out just weeks after launch.

But major update lag is the price you pay for having Sense UI on Android.

I figure I'd been waiting six months (and counting) for Palm to fix some of major issues I had with WebOS (e.g. having to wait for every picture to process individually when looking at photos, scrolling choppiness, Too Many Cards error).

Could the Hero be worse than that? So far...no. Only real issues I have are occasional keyboard lag and an option to disable Flash lite in the browser.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast