Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    LOL ok mister android fan struck a nerve did I? blah blah I want webos to mature and become something great yet in the mean time I will talk it down on a site based around webos and talk about how great android is brillaint!

I have never rooted my phone way to be in the know... No your right you don't have to patch you have to flash with a rom with the chance of a brick.
    Please don't go on remove the bookmark and replace it with and android based forum.
    And you think you've struck a nerve? LOL. Sorry dude, not leaving, but you're more than welcome to put me on ignore. Like has been said many times before, this is not just a Pre fan site. My point in the last post was that I don't have to do any hacks or patches to get the functionality you so desperately crave out of the Pre, it's right there. I didn't even NEED that screen capture app, I just wanted to have one, I really had no other reason to root. Patches aren't perfect either sir, there are plenty of people on this very forum who have had many issues with patching. At least when I customize my phone, it doesn't break programs, or just not work period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    I heard that this Google phone will cut your data plan payment in HALF.

Rumor has it that it uses wifi for everything data and voice. So if youre around wifi...all calls, web and SMS are free. But if theres no wifi around...it kicks into the minutes card that you'll need to buy and load.

IF that is true.....sign me UP!
    http://www.androidcentral.com/more-details-nexus-one

There's more detail there, looks like the rumors are incorrect about VOIP calling.

Alls been relatively quiet on the Nexus One front for a couple of hours, but we're getting more information about what's been floating around in the hands of Google employees. A recent hands-on by tnkgrl Mobile brings us the following:

•It's thin.
    •It looks better than all the blurry pictures.
    •Had a 4GB microSD card.
    •Battery is 1400mAh.
    •Screen looks like it's OLED and the same size and resolution as the Motorola Droid.
    •No AT&T 3G on board. EDGE works fine.
    •The phone is unlocked.
    •No multitouch in browser or Google Maps.
    •No dedicated camera key, but same UI as in the Droid.
    •Weak flash, so-so for low-light photos.
    •Calls are normal calls. Not VOIP.
    •A five-pane home screen like Sense on the Hero.
    •MicroUSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    LOL ok mister android fan struck a nerve did I? blah blah I want webos to mature and become something great yet in the mean time I will talk it down on a site based around webos and talk about how great android is brillaint!

I have never rooted my phone way to be in the know... No your right you don't have to patch you have to flash with a rom with the chance of a brick.
    Please don't go on remove the bookmark and replace it with and android based forum.
    Umm... If you take away rooting/patching/homebrews from the Pre and take away custom Apps/ROM's from Android... which 90% of all end users will never use...

The Pre is a woefully underwhelming smartphone (in comparison to just about anything).
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    HTC.....not Google added "scenes" to Sense UI, and that is only available on the Hero / Eris

Motorola....not Google added Blur to the Cliq and it's only available on the Cliq.

Samsung did nothing.....that is stock Android

Not wanting to start a fight, just want others to understand (and I think most involved in this discussion do) that stock Android is simply that.

webOS is webOS. I like the fact that it isn't spread among multiple phones with each phone having it's own twist or feature set.

As if it matters, I got my wife a Hero which I set up, configured and help her with when needed. I know its' capabilities and I've used the phone. i made an informed decision when getting a Pre. Works for me.

wkj
    You are correct. I specifically mentioned the Hero because it is available on Sprint.

There are also numerous features present on the Android that are blatantly missing on webOS.

Don't get me wrong... I want webOS and Palm to get up to speed with other OS's...

But at this point they are significantly behind and the only positive is their basic UI navigation system which is somewhat plagued by consistent (but minor) lag.

And based on the past 6 months I am not sure if they will ever get there or, if they do, if it will be too late.

If Palm does not make major improvements in the next 6 months, they will be in serious trouble and become nothing but a small nice phone/OS.

Also... Take away this homebrew community (which Palm has no hand in) from the Pre and you have a VERY underwhelming "smartphone".

If it weren't for this community, I would have replaced my Pre long ago and without hesitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You people have not even spent more than an hour with an Android device... let alone days/months...

And we haven't even mentioned that you can have multiple scenes that allow you to change to a complete different set(s) of (customized) homescreens with a couple taps.

And this is all at stock... The Pre (webOS) is ridiculously outmatched at stock...
    Yes because we all want a 16-bit color screen which I have on my 5 year old Palm Treo phone, and a Qualcomm 525Mhz outdated CPU. The phone was already grossly outdated before it was even released. I'm curious to see how Flash 10.1 will run on it once it's released. Droid on the otherhand is better hardware wise cept for the unusable keyboard which everyone is complaining about.
  6. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    You are correct. I specifically mentioned the Hero because it is available on Sprint.

There are also numerous features present on the Android that are blatantly missing on webOS.

Don't get me wrong... I want webOS and Palm to get up to speed with other OS's...

But at this point they are significantly behind and the only positive is their basic UI navigation system which is somewhat plagued by consistent (but minor) lag.

And based on the past 6 months I am not sure if they will ever get there or, if they do, if it will be too late.

If Palm does not make major improvements in the next 6 months, they will be in serious trouble and become nothing but a small nice phone/OS.

Also... Take away this homebrew community (which Palm has no hand in) from the Pre and you have a VERY underwhelming "smartphone".

If it weren't for this community, I would have replaced my Pre long ago and without hesitation.
    Bottom Line:

At this point in time the Pre has everything I want and need and it does it to my satisfaction. If Palm decides to further improve....it's a win for me. If they fail....I move on to another platform....it's still a win for me. That's what makes having great choices great.

I'm pumped about what's coming down the pipeline, from all platforms. Will I leave Sprint for the latest and greatest phone? Nope. Will I bow down and claim that Android is the greatest OS available? Not for me it isn't.

It's about personal choice and if something doesn't work out for you......move along.

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yes because we all want a 16-bit color screen which I have on my 5 year old Palm Treo phone, and a Qualcomm 525Mhz outdated CPU. The phone was already grossly outdated before it was even released. I'm curious to see how Flash 10.1 will run on it once it's released. Droid on the otherhand is better hardware wise cept for the unusable keyboard which everyone is complaining about.
    Nobody knows how REAL Flash will run on anything yet, but the Flash Lite on the Hero is underwhelming and I wish I could turn it off.

That being said, the snipes at "outdated CPU"s are hilarious. If an "outdated CPU" running an OS ON TOP of an OS can keep more programs open longer and open them faster than Palm's stripped down Web browser running far less processes with far more powerful hardware, what does that say about WebOS almost 7 months after launch?

Keep in mind, no speed or memory fixes for the Pre have been announced for even 1.3.5, and it's still a bit off. So by the time Palm catches up - ahem - to this outdated CPU, most people will have used their Premier status upgrade and moved on to a Snapdagon-powered Android handset which will surely arrive on Sprint this year.

Me...I'd be willing to revisit WebOS on better hardware and being closer to finished provided they have such around June-July of this year.
    The sad part about your comparison is, the 528mhz processor in the Hero keeps it at least as fast as the current Pre with its absurdly unoptimized software.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Keep in mind, no speed or memory fixes for the Pre have been announced for even 1.3.5, and it's still a bit off.
    Palm Confirms 1.3.5: Speed, Battery, App Limit all to be improved, Plus Investor Call Notes
    Speed fix is for THE PIXI, not the Pre.

No mention of "Too Many Cards" errors being fixed. No mention of fixing the "having to tap 50 times to get a web link to activate" bug that has shown up. No mention of GPU being enabled. No mention of fixing the weak EV-DO radio that also is a speed bottleneck and frequently loses signal.

So these things are going be fixed when, again? 12 months after release? 18? 24? With the release of the next handset? What's the advantage of having a simple OS created by the same people who make the hardware, again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The sad part about your comparison is, the 528mhz processor in the Hero keeps it at least as fast as the current Pre with its absurdly unoptimized software.
    We all know that WebOS is in its infancy. I'm merely pointing out the hardware limitations. As WebOS becomes mature it will be able to make better use of the hardware... Android on the other hand has pretty good OS but running on outdated hardware.. so basically what you see now will most likely be as good as it gets unless you upgrade to snapdragon or whatever.
    We all know that WebOS is in its infancy. I'm merely pointing out the hardware limitations. As WebOS becomes mature it will be able to make better use of the hardware... Android on the other hand has pretty good OS but running on outdated hardware.. so basically what you see now will most likely be as good as it gets unless you upgrade to snapdragon or whatever.
    Who really wants to grow into performance? I bought the Droid because I wanted a fast phone now. There are other options coming out as well, and the Samsung Moment's 800mhz Arm11 chip laughs at the Pre's 500mhz OMAP, regardless of being an older generation chip.
    Because you can tell the difference using a 16-bit color screen vs a 24-bit color screen on a 320x480 resolution screen... especially when one is plastic vs glass... while watching compressed video or using mobile apps...

Oh... and that Qualcomm 528MHz processor that ACTUALLY RUNS AT 528MHz vs that TI OMAP 3430, running at 500MHz (because it can't run at it's designed 600MHz safely).

LMAO!!!!

And grossly outdated???
    C'mon man... you guys have completely fallen off your rockers...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/18/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    Bottom Line:

At this point in time the Pre has everything I want and need and it does it to my satisfaction. If Palm decides to further improve....it's a win for me. If they fail....I move on to another platform....it's still a win for me. That's what makes having great choices great.

I'm pumped about what's coming down the pipeline, from all platforms. Will I leave Sprint for the latest and greatest phone? Nope. Will I bow down and claim that Android is the greatest OS available? Not for me it isn't.

It's about personal choice and if something doesn't work out for you......move along.

wkj
    I guess you can move along... last I checked this thread was referencing Android 2.1...
    Because you can tell the difference using a 16-bit color screen vs a 24-bit color screen on a 320x480 resolution screen... especially when one is plastic vs glass... while watching compressed video or using mobile apps...

Oh... and that Qualcomm 528MHz processor that ACTUALLY RUNS AT 528MHz vs that TI OMAP 3430, running at 500MHz (because it can't run at it's designed 600MHz safely).

LMAO!!!!

And grossly outdated???
    C'mon man... you guys have completely fallen off your rockers...
    A friend of mine has the nexus one, and it is way faster than my palm in basic OS navigation and updates. I don't know if it's code or hardware, but it's quite fast. the browser is also much in rendering, but the lack of multitouch is a big loss.
    Infancy? In today's technology landscape, how long do you get to remain in your "infancy"?
    With an average life span of 2-3 years... I think you are certainly out of your "infancy" after 6 months of being released.

And your statement may be inaccurate.

HTC Hero - The Qualcomm 528MHz CPU is enough!

And this was based on the Hero upon launch. The Sense UI lag has been all but resolved. My Pre experiences significantly more lag than my Hero. It's not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    A friend of mine has the nexus one, and it is way faster than my palm in basic OS navigation and updates. I don't know if it's code or hardware, but it's quite fast. the browser is also much in rendering, but the lack of multitouch is a big loss.
    I never pinch zoomed on the Pre after the first week, too much hassle when I could double tap on a text column and it'd insta-zoom. Android is the same way, insta-zoom when you double tap.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Infancy? In today's technology landscape, how long do you get to remain in your "infancy"?
    With an average life span of 2-3 years... I think you are certainly out of your "infancy" after 6 months of being released.

And this was based on the Hero upon launch. The Sense UI lag has been all but resolved. My Pre experiences significantly more lag than my Hero. It's not even close.
    See I think you are not referencing infancy correctly. WebOS isn't in it for the run of 2-3 years. The Palm Pre may be out of its infancy and may not be up to everyone's expectations. I know there are many things I would like to be fixed, and I definitely agree that the Droid is as of now a better machine than the Pre at least in being snappy and being great right out of the box. But to say WebOS isn't in infancy is stupid. Android has been out for what like 4 years? I think the company was bought out by Google in 2005 and so development of this OS has been in the works for years. When it was released to the public in 2007 it was a piece of crap. Pretty unusable if you ask me. But now android the OS has passed its infancy stage and has entered its 'i am ready to rock' stage. WebOS is still in the let me start walking stages. When 2.0 comes out then we can say its no longer in infancy.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You guys need to stop feeding the 2 month old android users because your gonna get nothing but praise and hand me down web links. They did not own a G1 and did not suffer through android's growing stage.

These are the same kinda guys that have a new favorite football team each week.

Bagdroidfans don't bother replying you've been ignored...
    Last edited by helidos; 12/18/2009 at 06:16 PM.

Sure considering the Pre is doing everything via CPU and hasn't even turned on the GPU yet. So how long has android been out for and they just managed in the last update to get rid of lag? How many months has android been out?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast