Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So an app that partially replicates a single Android homescreen somehow defecates all over multiple Android homescreens? Because you can swipe to another app from the homescreen instead of tapping the icon?

Ok buddy.
    I guess personal opinion is to much to compute eh?
    Wait active card does not have quick launch apps? Two taps yup sure does.

And I'm not your buddy.
    So then it would be maybe EQUIVALENT to ONE Android screen then, wouldn't it?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    ActiveCard was gimmicky at best, because it's too limited by the limitations Palm sets on apps. I was one of the first to purchase ActiveCard, one of the first to even post about it on here, I know all too well what it does, and it's limitations. ActiveCard doesn't come anywhere even CLOSE to the functionality I've got right now.

And I fully disagree, none of those "solutions" even compare, having used your solution and having an Android phone now.
    Hardly a gimmick, not the right app for everyone I'll agree with. Not being fully used to its potential because the dev's trying to make money and keep the app in the app catalog and this falls back on palm limiting its true potential yup. Which is why I said once palm releases more api's that app and apps like it will improve and become great apps.

WebOS is not for everybody some people need their hands held more than others and that's ok I'm glad android got you covered.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    So then it would be maybe EQUIVALENT to ONE Android screen then, wouldn't it?
    Well a simple hack could allow me to run the app 15 times. Since you seem to thing big number win ( pound chest ) guess that means I win
    Well, it's good to see you being mature about it. Having your self-worth and identity tied to your choice of smartphone OS speaks volumes.

For the rest of us, choosing WebOS or Android comes down to more mundane criteria like what currently serves our needs best.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Well a simple hack could allow me to run the app 15 times. Since you seem to thing big number win ( pound chest ) guess that means I win
    It's not a competition. You "win" by choosing the best option for you. That's the only victory that matters in the short-term.

That being said, the above makes no sense because it's an app imitating a homescreen, not a homescreen. You can only configure it to look a certain way at one time. So you would be looking at 15 copies of the same screen instead of 15 screens that were individually configurable to your heart's desire.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    It's not a competition. You "win" by choosing the best option for you. That's the only victory that matters in the short-term.

That being said, the above makes no sense because it's an app imitating a homescreen, not a homescreen. You can only configure it to look a certain way at one time. So you would be looking at 15 copies of the same screen instead of 15 screens that were individually configurable to your heart's desire.
    If not then why the remark about it being only equal to one android screen I mean come on my main argument was about webos and a home screen. Your the one that went off on well ok its equal to one android screen etc and I one upped ya an now its not a competition.

Your exactly right its all about what is best for the person using the phone which was my entire point for me and many many other people webos does what we need and much more with out a home screen. But if we want one we have the option to get a app that fills the roll of one. App or built in either way information from multiply sources, shortcuts etc are being displayed on a single screen.

I don't use the app because like I said I have no need for one with finger drag up and 2-3 taps I have the app I want open and displaying information or have it already open and can swipe to it.

Example look at these 3 home screens.
    The time is always displayed on my pre along with 4 icons and 1 to bring up the launcher which we already know gives access to everthing. Purchase the weather app that displays the weather on wall paper and you got the middle home screen.

Now you have to swipe to get the the one home screen with the radio/bluetooth etc on off buttons well with a few patches I swipe down and I got the same, it has a couple more quick launch apps but again a simple swipe up and I got them all.

Now the one to the right has google search you mean where i just type and have that already.

Again explain the use of the home screen when it come to ease of use its a joke to argue about it. So without moving to any other screen I got everything those 3 home screens provide without ever doing anything but downloading a few patches and using my finger. See my point?
    Last edited by helidos; 12/17/2009 at 04:30 PM.
    You people have not even spent more than an hour with an Android device... let alone days/months...

And we haven't even mentioned that you can have multiple scenes that allow you to change to a complete different set(s) of (customized) homescreens with a couple taps.

And this is all at stock... The Pre (webOS) is ridiculously outmatched at stock...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You people have not even spent more than an hour with an Android device... let alone days/months...

And we haven't even mentioned that you can have multiple scenes that allow you to change to a complete different set(s) of (customized) homescreens with a couple taps.

And this is all at stock... The Pre (webOS) is ridiculously outmatched at stock...
    That's funny you say that before the pre was released I played with my cousin's G1 about every other day awaiting an android phone for sprint when the pre came out I grab one and can not be happier with my choice. This argument over home screens is a joke, the community is not up in arms about not having one and the device is useless.

Dude you just don't get, stay with android the entire point of a home screen in the first place is to have all the information in one place switching between screens is like me having 7 apps open its mute at that point.
  10. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

HTC.....not Google added "scenes" to Sense UI, and that is only available on the Hero / Eris

Motorola....not Google added Blur to the Cliq and it's only available on the Cliq.

Samsung did nothing.....that is stock Android

Not wanting to start a fight, just want others to understand (and I think most involved in this discussion do) that stock Android is simply that.

webOS is webOS. I like the fact that it isn't spread among multiple phones with each phone having it's own twist or feature set.

As if it matters, I got my wife a Hero which I set up, configured and help her with when needed. I know its' capabilities and I've used the phone. i made an informed decision when getting a Pre. Works for me.

wkj
    If not then why the remark about it being only equal to one android screen I mean come on my main argument was about webos and a home screen. Your the one that went off on well ok its equal to one android screen etc and I one upped ya an now its not a competition.
    "One-upped" me? In what way. Any Sense UI screen or even standard Android homescreen has more functionality and configurability than Active Card. Simply by virtue of being able to configure more than one screen with each one having a unique set of icons and widgets makes it more usable.

There IS no competition in that regard.

Your exactly right its all about what is best for the person using the phone which was my entire point for me and many many other people webos does what we need and much more with out a home screen. But if we want one we have the option to get a app that fills the roll of one. App or built in either way information from multiply sources, shortcuts etc are being displayed on a single screen.
    But it's NOT A HOMESCREEN. It's an app which must be activated. It's not a default. When you press the button on a Pre, it does not take you there. When you exit another app in Card view, it doesn't return you to it.

I don't get how you're confused over this.

Example look at these 3 home screens.
    The time is always displayed on my pre along with 4 icons and 1 to bring up the launcher which we already know gives access to everthing. Purchase the weather app that displays the weather on wall paper and you got the middle home screen.

Now you have to swipe to get the the one home screen with the radio/bluetooth etc on off buttons well with a few patches I swipe down and I got the same, it has a couple more quick launch apps but again a simple swipe up and I got them all.

Now the one to the right has google search you mean where i just type and have that already.

Again explain the use of the home screen when it come to ease of use its a joke to argue about it. So without moving to any other screen I got everything those 3 home screens provide without ever doing anything but downloading a few patches and using my finger. See my point?
    I see your confusion.

EVERY Android device is equipped with a Search button outside of the screen, so bringing up Google search on any homescreen is one press away. What's more is that once it's up, you can SPEAK your search instead of typing. And even if you type, Android remembers your searches and brings up prior results quickly. Even if it's brand new, it brings up the most popular results matching your first few keystrokes.

It's far beyond WebOS "Just type. And type. And type" search functionality at present

The Radio/Bluetooth/etc. toggles can be put on ANY screen, and Android 2.0 has them in one convenient, accessible area.

Buy hey...the time is up all of the time. Yay....
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Mr. Android fan, what's your opinion on the Roms available for the Hero?
    Which do you think are best? Specifically 2.1

I'm considering switching to a hero when ETF is off or 3 pre replacements, whichever comes first.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You just don't get it nothing any of you have posted about android home screens will improve ease of use over my currently customized pre it would actually require more swipes and clicks to do the same on my pre.

One quickie you say the radio/bluetooth toggles can be put on any screen? well while you swipe over 3 times to get to that screen I'll enjoy swiping down no matter what where I'm at in webos and turning them off yet yours is faster and easier right?

But hey texts that are already displayed in my messaging app that is one swipe left and the weather which is one swipe right and some other info which is a drag up and click are always displayed on the ah crap wrong home screen wait a sec got it 3 swipes over.

So to each his own.
    You just don't get it nothing any of you have posted about android home screens will improve ease of use over my currently customized pre it would actually require more swipes and clicks to do the same on my pre.

One quickie you say the radio/bluetooth toggles can be put on any screen? well while you swipe over 3 times to get to that screen I'll enjoy swiping down no matter what where I'm at in webos and turning them off yet yours is faster and easier right?

But hey texts that are already displayed in my messaging app that is one swipe left and the weather which is one swipe right and some other info which is a drag up and click are always displayed on the ah crap wrong home screen wait a sec got it 3 swipes over.

So to each his own.
    I don't have to swipe more than once, no matter what home screen I'm at, because it wraps, and I only have 3 home screens. You're purposefully making it sound more complicated than it is. Pretty sad, really. I also can put all those functions in just 1 screen if I want, but I don't like to crowd things, so I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    Mr. Android fan, what's your opinion on the Roms available for the Hero?
    Which do you think are best? Specifically 2.1

I'm considering switching to a hero when ETF is off or 3 pre replacements, whichever comes first.
    Sprint has confirmed the Moment and the Hero are getting 2.1, just wait it out.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I don't have to swipe more than once, no matter what home screen I'm at, because it wraps, and I only have 3 home screens. You're purposefully making it sound more complicated than it is. Pretty sad, really. I also can put all those functions in just 1 screen if I want, but I don't like to crowd things, so I don't.
    W/E I was talking about using more than 3. But once again pick and choose what you need to make it sound like having **** spread across multiple screens is better than having one menu that does half the **** on your home screens and another that launches everything on the phone along with swiping between apps.

But like I said to each his own. Your the sad one why are you still here android man? looking over your recent post all you are doing is talking up android on a site based around the pre and webos.
    W/E I was talking about using more than 3. But once again pick and choose what you need to make it sound like having **** spread across multiple screens is better than having one menu that does half the **** on your home screens and another that launches everything on the phone along with swiping between apps.

But like I said to each his own. Your the sad one why are you still here android man?
    How many times do I have to explain this? I'll tell you what, if you really want to know why I'm here, do a search for all my posts, and find it yourself, I've stated it many times. You're picking and choosing all through your posts, you have to go to extreme lengths just to make it sound like your Pre is superior, you're working so much harder to defend your stance than anyone else in this thread. WebOS is very immature currently, where Android is very mature(and customizable), I don't really see why you feel the need to defend it so much, when it's so obvious Android is capable of much more. If you like it, great, but it's still simple to get similar functionality to Android. I've not had to patch or root to do anything besides installing a screen capture app that required root, when you can say that about WebOS, then I'll listen to your silly futile arguments, until then, I don't think this needs to go on.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I heard that this Google phone will cut your data plan payment in HALF.

Rumor has it that it uses wifi for everything data and voice. So if youre around wifi...all calls, web and SMS are free. But if theres no wifi around...it kicks into the minutes card that you'll need to buy and load.

IF that is true.....sign me UP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    I heard that this Google phone will cut your data plan payment in HALF.

Rumor has it that it uses wifi for everything data and voice. So if youre around wifi...all calls, web and SMS are free. But if theres no wifi around...it kicks into the minutes card that you'll need to buy and load.

IF that is true.....sign me UP!
    It's all rumor, there has not been a single confirmed fact besides the name, and the pictures of it and that it's running 2.1.

BTW, I can already do this with my Droid, got VOIP calling and Google Voice set up, so all calls and SMS are free.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    How many times do I have to explain this? I'll tell you what, if you really want to know why I'm here, do a search for all my posts, and find it yourself, I've stated it many times. You're picking and choosing all through your posts, you have to go to extreme lengths just to make it sound like your Pre is superior, you're working so much harder to defend your stance than anyone else in this thread. WebOS is very immature currently, where Android is very mature(and customizable), I don't really see why you feel the need to defend it so much, when it's so obvious Android is capable of much more. If you like it, great, but it's still simple to get similar functionality to Android. I've not had to patch or root to do anything besides installing a screen capture app that required root, when you can say that about WebOS, then I'll listen to your silly futile arguments, until then, I don't think this needs to go on.
    LOL ok mister android fan struck a nerve did I? blah blah I want webos to mature and become something great yet in the mean time I will talk it down on a site based around webos and talk about how great android is brillaint!

I have never rooted my phone way to be in the know... No your right you don't have to patch you have to flash with a rom with the chance of a brick.
    Please don't go on remove the bookmark and replace it with and android based forum.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast