Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Fragmentation is a major concern for Android and anybody who thinks it's a minor or non-existent concern is just wrong.

The issue is not the OS, but apps. Apps drive smartphone sales, and the idea that Google is going to be able to keep their app catalog compatible across countless versions, hardware specs, and UIs for long is just silly. The phone market moves far too fast for that, unless you control and limit your hardware as Apple, Palm and BB do. You think people complain about the Pre? Just wait until people start pulling their BRAND NEW Android phones out of the box and find that many of the coolest/most useful apps won't work with their phone because the handset maker is using an ancient revision of the OS, or has some wonky hardware or a custom UI? That day is coming fast...we've seen this movie before, only then it was called "Windows Mobile".

Google's only hope is that they can keep the handset makers relatively in line in terms of keeping their OS versions current and not overly customized. That's exactly what the Nexus One is for...provide a developer baseline and flagship model and hope the other manufacturers will fall in line. Google doesn't do hardware, and the fact that they've broken that rule in this instance shows how concerned they are about it. It sure isn't cause they want to get in the handset selling business.

None of this in any way diminishes the issues Palm has or the challenges it faces, but there is a critical difference. Because Palm controls both the hardware and the software, they have total control and will succeed or fail based on how good a job they do. Android's success is almost totally in the hands of the manufacturers. The OS will live or die based on how well the manufacturers (and to some degree the carriers) implement it. Google can nudge, they can cajole, but at the end of the day it's out of their hands. Again, we've seen this movie before with WinMo, and it didn't end well.
    Motorola is starting their own app catalog for the Droid, for Droid specific apps. Seems like a good solution to me. Also, developers so far have made Droid compatible apps. Beyond the Droid though, every other Android phone is basically the same, same processor, same screen size, same resolution, the only other one thats different is the Moment, and it's the same type of processor as all the Qualcomm phones, with the same screen res...

Also, for what it's worth, I haven't had a single app not scale properly to the Droid's screen, everything works flawlessly.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 12/17/2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Indeed, custom UI builds have NOTHING to do with app compatibility. Every Android device in existence runs the vast, VAST majority of Android apps with no problems.

Palm hasn't even been able to keep consistent hardware between the first TWO WebOS devices. The App Catalog is all over the place between regions. It's a joke.

I agree that the one-maker-for-all model has many advantages, but Palm seems incapable of utilizing any of them.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    What about SONY ?

Sony Ericsson - Corporate - Press - Pressreleases - Pressreleasedetails - Xperiax10pressreleasefinal-20091103 ?

I have not seen the phone but this is what bothered me.

"
    * Pressing the new “infinite button” guides you through the connected world, aggregating all your interactions with one person into one view
    * Intelligent face recognition features recognise up to five faces in any picture, automatically connecting them with your social phonebook and all other related communications with that person.
    "

Its all good effort from SONY, but this extra button is not present in DROID or HERO
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    What about SONY ?

Sony Ericsson - Corporate - Press - Pressreleases - Pressreleasedetails - Xperiax10pressreleasefinal-20091103 ?

"
    * Pressing the new “infinite button” guides you through the connected world, aggregating all your interactions with one person into one view
    * Intelligent face recognition features recognise up to five faces in any picture, automatically connecting them with your social phonebook and all other related communications with that person.
    "

Its all good effort from SONY, but this extra button is not present in DROID or HERO
    Uh, so what? You're reaching, quite a bit now.
    And Sprint Nav isn't on the Droid Eris, and MotoBlur isn't on the G1. The diverse experiences and unique features between manufacturers and carriers is THE POINT, not an unintended consequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And Sprint Nav isn't on the Droid Eris, and MotoBlur isn't on the G1. The diverse experiences and unique features between manufacturers and carriers is THE POINT, not an unintended consequence.
    And Google Nav on the Droid so far isn't on any other phone either. So what? It's a selling point, it gives more reason to purchase a certain phone. None of those effect the marketplace, nor do they explain why this "fragmentation" is even an issue(which it's not, thus far). Windows Mobile's issue wasn't ever that other companies made enhancements, Windows Mobile's issue was, and still is, the dinosaur OS underneath it. Can only polish a turd so much. Linux does not suffer from the same downfalls as Windows Mobile, the whole point of using a Linux back end is to have it as lightweight as possible.
    What about SONY ?

"
    "

LMAO... OMG... it's all coming to an END!!!~~!~!

Hmm... Palm might be in big trouble...

The Pixi lacks wifi... DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY APPS ARE DESIGNED TO WORK OVER WIFI????

Palm is screwed....
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/17/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    There is a significant difference between a potential future concern (Android: Fragmentation) and a current serious issue (webOS: Unable to implement GPU and full feature set; significant UI delays).

Also, the WM "fragmentation" history is a bit different from the current Android path. WM only released updated OS versions every 12-24 months AND they charged (licensing) carriers, manufacturers, or end users for the "upgraded" new OS. This obviously led to a great reluctance by (carriers, manufacturers or end users) of the OS to "update" existing devices that were already bought and paid for and incur more expense. It was also a double edged sword in sort. Because of this (slow release of updates) it also seemed to lead to less change in the WM market which probably stabilized things to an extent. Also, WM’s issues overall seemed to be more device related rather than OS. I have had WM devices that were rock solid (especially when compared to the Pre) and I have had some that were on par with the Pre.

Also, WM was far from a disaster. WM was (and still is) a very robust and feature rich mobile OS. Sure it has its strengths and weaknesses… but so does every mobile OS.

The current loss of market share / pending demise of WM has more to do with Microsoft’s business practices and the emergence of competing mobile OS’s than anything else. Fragmentation certainly was not a primary factor.

So yes… again… fragmentation is overblown.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    LMAO... OMG... it's all coming to an END!!!~~!~!

Hmm... Palm might be in big trouble...

The Pixi lacks wifi... DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY APPS ARE DESIGNED TO WORK OVER WIFI????

Palm is screwed....
    yeah right,
    we will see who will be is screwed in an hour.
    I am waiting for the PALM's quarterly results.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    There is a significant difference between a potential future concern (Android: Fragmentation) and a current serious issue (webOS: Unable to implement GPU and full feature set; significant UI delays).

Also, the WM "fragmentation" history is a bit different from the current Android path. WM only released updated OS versions every 12-24 months AND they charged (licensing) carriers, manufacturers, or end users for the "upgraded" new OS. This obviously led to a great reluctance by (carriers, manufacturers or end users) of the OS to "update" existing devices that were already bought and paid for and incur more expense. It was also a double edged sword in sort. Because of this (slow release of updates) it also seemed to lead to less change in the WM market which probably stabilized things to an extent. Also, WM’s issues overall seemed to be more device related rather than OS. I have had WM devices that were rock solid (especially when compared to the Pre) and I have had some that were on par with the Pre.

Also, WM was far from a disaster. WM was (and still is) a very robust and feature rich mobile OS. Sure it has its strengths and weaknesses… but so does every mobile OS.

The current loss of market share / pending demise of WM has more to do with Microsoft’s business practices and the emergence of competing mobile OS’s than anything else. Fragmentation certainly was not a primary factor.

So yes… again… fragmentation is overblown.
    Truce here,
    Fine you think its overblown , Sure we shall see in a year ( if you stick around the forum that long).

Regarding Microslowsoft , I agree with you on Microsoft being SLOW part.
    But the fragmentation part ? hmm ,
    Its not called fragmentation, since the software is only made by Microsoft.
    But it was called hardware incompatibility.
    What works on the original HTC touch ( which I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 without a hitch) doesn't work on the Moto Q. ( because its not touch screen).
    Anyways I rest my arguments here.
    We shall see how this fragmentation plays out in coming 6 months.
    Truce here,
    Fine you think its overblown , Sure we shall see in a year ( if you stick around the forum that long).

Regarding Microslowsoft , I agree with you on Microsoft being SLOW part.
    But the fragmentation part ? hmm ,
    Its not called fragmentation, since the software is only made by Microsoft.
    But it was called hardware incompatibility.
    What works on the original HTC touch ( which I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 without a hitch) doesn't work on the Moto Q. ( because its not touch screen).
    Anyways I rest my arguments here.
    We shall see how this fragmentation plays out in coming 6 months.
    Theres already close to 20000 apps, you'd think with the new phones on the market, it'd have already played out, but it's not.
    yeah right,
    It'll still be Palm.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Indeed, custom UI builds have NOTHING to do with app compatibility. Every Android device in existence runs the vast, VAST majority of Android apps with no problems.

Palm hasn't even been able to keep consistent hardware between the first TWO WebOS devices. The App Catalog is all over the place between regions. It's a joke.

I agree that the one-maker-for-all model has many advantages, but Palm seems incapable of utilizing any of them.
    Agree,
    IMO , they are overwhelmed at this point.
    They probably need to hire more engineers.
    I believe they have enough cash to run their operations.
    I gave up on them , but that CES announcement got my hopes back.
    yeah right,
    The was an indication of sarcasm.

15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hokay,
    <start_no_sarcasm>
    </start_no_sarcasm>

If PALM can sign up few more carriers , then they are doing just fine.
    hokay,
    <start_no_sarcasm>
    </start_no_sarcasm>

If PALM can sign up few more carriers , then they are doing just fine.
    Well they aren't exactly building on the "success" of the Pre. Their stock is back down to the same area it was upon the Pre's release. Which was driven up by all the hope/hype for the Pre. Dropped 25% in November.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The home screen issue will be bunk? Do you really think Palm plans on changing that? An amazing amount of speculation there.
    Did you even look at my post about active card? Its a home screen app and when palm releases more api's it can be expanded even further. IMO its already bunk granted its not included in the OS but not everyone wants a home screen. Plus with all the notification etc that was kinda of the point of not having one.

I personally have no need for a home screen but the options there if I did. Down the road the current app will be expanded and improved upon in one way or another whether it be done officially with palm releasing improved api's so those features can be released through the app catalog or with home brew.

I'll say it again active card + wave bar + launcher + advance gestures ****s all over android home screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Did you even look at my post about active card? Its a home screen app and when palm releases more api's it can be expanded even further. IMO its already bunk granted its not included in the OS but not everyone wants a home screen. Plus with all the notification etc that was kinda of the point of not having one.

I personally have no need for a home screen but the options there if I did. Down the road the current app will be expanded and improved upon in one way or another whether it be done officially with palm releasing improved api's so those features can be released through the app catalog or with home brew.

I'll say it again active card + wave bar + launcher + advance gestures ****s all over android home screens.
    ActiveCard was gimmicky at best, because it's too limited by the limitations Palm sets on apps. I was one of the first to purchase ActiveCard, one of the first to even post about it on here, I know all too well what it does, and it's limitations. ActiveCard doesn't come anywhere even CLOSE to the functionality I've got right now.

And I fully disagree, none of those "solutions" even compare, having used your solution and having an Android phone now.
    So an app that partially replicates a single Android homescreen somehow defecates all over multiple Android homescreens? Because you can swipe to another app from the homescreen instead of tapping the icon?

Ok buddy.
    So an app that partially replicates a single Android homescreen somehow defecates all over multiple Android homescreens? Because you can swipe to another app from the homescreen instead of tapping the icon?

Ok buddy.
    Logic is dead. Stockholm is in.