Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Before we start ,
    can you explain to me why on earth a SPRINT HTC HERO can do a multi touch browsing on 1.5 while the super DROID with 2.0 cannot do it?
    Do they pay attention to details at Google ? If they did, then why did they let slip thru this must have feature ?
    I really think multi touch is way over rated. Having used multi touch on the iPhone & Pre and tap to zoom on the Droidís browser I have definitely ruled tapping better and easier since one handed use is doable.

Just my $.02.

Joe
    Seems to me that this has become an argument about which OS has the best upgrade path, rather than which is works best for a given user now.

They're not the same thing.

But even on that merit, i'll take Android. IPhone offers the same vanilla experience regardless of which hardware or OS you use. Android offers a variety of OS choices, manufacturers and form factors. WebOS is currently the worst of both worlds: insubstantial updates, no manufacturer choice, and beta software that barely uses the hardware it is on.

I would love for Palm to change that. Apple likely never will.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks think Android gets the best of the features from other platforms.
    I say they are confused. At one end they want to copy iPhone (virtual keyboard, multitouch) and on the other they are copying BlackBerry ( trackball, physical keyboard).
    Now they are copying PALM's cards.
    Hmm , can you get all these features on HTC Hero ? nope, Droid ? nope.

For all practical reasons APPLE will better the multitasking ( not some third party APP).
    And PALM's cards is still the best.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    I really think multi touch is way over rated. Having used multi touch on the iPhone & Pre and tap to zoom on the Droidís browser I have definitely ruled tapping better and easier since one handed use is doable.
    My experience is that double tapping usually works better. However, the pinch to zoom function is very useful because there are times when double tapping doesn't get it right and you need to adjust it manually. I think more options are always better. The Droid seems to take awhile to zoom in, which is a drag.

As far as this argument goes, I prefer the cards metaphor to the task manager on Android. But I can't argue the progress that Android made in 6 months, 12 months and 18 months. Palm is resting on its laurels, either because of lack of resources or they don't care. Not a single one of the WebOS updates has brought anything other than small tweaks, and that is very disappointing.
    Nobody's got the whole enchilada.

Apple (currently) has the best media playing, web browsing, and app choice.
    Android (currently) has the best hardware specs, manufacturer choice, UI choice, and multitasking for large numbers of programs.
    WebOS has the best default UI and best multitasking for small numbers of programs.
    These ignorant comments, facts taken out of context or isolated and just plain untruths remind me of Sony PS3 ******'s on their forums that mindlessly defend the PS3 (and Sony) anytime you remotely touch on how the Xbox 360 may in some way be a better/more popular console.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    These ignorant comments, facts taken out of context or isolated and just plain untruths remind me of Sony PS3 ******'s on their forums that mindlessly defend the PS3 (and Sony) anytime you remotely touch on how the Xbox 360 may in some way be a better/more popular console.
    Really, last I heard they sold a million of them in a month while Xbox is stalling on (cough) blue screen (cough).
    Oh BTW , sony is also making a Wii like wand.

The point is CARDS is good , and every other platform copies it soon.
    The point is CARDS is good , and every other platform copies it soon.
    You realize iPhone OS did it first within mobile Safari, right?
    Watched the video on the HD2 in the round robin thing they got going on. WMexperts Phil makes a great point that's been made on here as well. If you throw some solid hardware like the HD2 at a platform even one with issues, it's going to solve a lot of problems.

My main problem with Palm will remain a hardware problem moreso than software. I've no idea if this will get fixed. No idea if something HD2 like is coming or if they're eying a redesigned Pre form form factor.

This might look like me jumping back and forth over a fence but i really like webOS and its potential.

Some of the debates in this thread though have totally to do with whether android offers more features now vs webOS 1.3 and what not. That's really not as important for me. All of these platforms will receive software updates..even if its the first half of 2010 :P

I could go running to android and get some better built hardware and that's Palm's problem. Because i could also go running to WM, RIM, or Apple for better built hardware.

At CES, if Palm has anything approaching an HD2 like hardware device, along with webOS 2.0, then i'll of course take a look. If all they show up with is a Pre or Pixi, then its time to sell that stock if you haven't already.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Really, last I heard they sold a million of them in a month while Xbox is stalling on (cough) blue screen (cough).
    Oh BTW , sony is also making a Wii like wand.
    Really the xbox has blue screen please post pics And if you were trying to be funny should have went with RROD..

And even if xbox sales are stalling they got roughly 7 million more units(around 34 million) on the street than Sony (around 28 million)not to mention Sony last time I checked is still losing about $37 per console at the new $299 price tag down from the what $175 before and MS has been banking on ever console since late 06 early 07.

And even if Sony makes a Wii wand Nintendo has that market on lock with right at 60 million units on the street not to mention another 118 million with the DS.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You realize iPhone OS did it first within mobile Safari, right?
    Sure,
    best features gets copied always.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Others may have mentioned this already (indirectly), but I think the concept of a customizable "home screen" is something that really works well on a smartphone. If there's one thing Windows Mobile did well it's their active-desktop-like Today screen. Android allows for much of the same flexibility through widgets.

WebOS, however, is a bit of a one-trick pony with the card view. (I'm talking purely from a user-interface standpoint here) Don't get me wrong, application switching is an important part of a mobile OS that has long been overlooked, but I feel like with WebOS I'm pretty much married to only having an application switcher (albeit a very nice one), rather than having a true home screen. (where I could have a nice upcoming appointments widget, for example) Android, to the contrary, could be enhanced to have a slick looking application switcher and become the best of both worlds. WebOS's card-view is its big defining characteristic, and it's hard for me to imagine them ever going away from that.

Anyone else agree or miss having a home screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Others may have mentioned this already (indirectly), but I think the concept of a customizable "home screen" is something that really works well on a smartphone. If there's one thing Windows Mobile did well it's their active-desktop-like Today screen. Android allows for much of the same flexibility through widgets.

WebOS, however, is a bit of a one-trick pony with the card view. (I'm talking purely from a user-interface standpoint here) Don't get me wrong, application switching is an important part of a mobile OS that has long been overlooked, but I feel like with WebOS I'm pretty much married to only having an application switcher (albeit a very nice one), rather than having a true home screen. (where I could have a nice upcoming appointments widget, for example) Android, to the contrary, could be enhanced to have a slick looking application switcher and become the best of both worlds. WebOS's card-view is its big defining characteristic, and it's hard for me to imagine them ever going away from that.

Absolutely. It is one of the primary reasons I prefer Android over webOS atm.
    The others being build quality of phones, lack of implemented features/hardware and general UI responsiveness.

Other than those things, webOS (and the Palm Pre) is great!

In all seriousness, I would LOVE it if Palm released an update (or series of them) to bring it on par with other phones. I am keeping my Pre (and using a Hero), in hopes that this may happen. I just cannot (or will not) continue to wait and hope.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/15/2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    WebOS is great. WebOS on a shoddy built Pre isn't great. A Pixi isn't even a consideration.

On the other hand, Android sucks. The Droid hardware looks great if one could tolerate the OS. The Hero is old hardware with yesterday's screen.

Both OS's are unpolished, and need many more updates to be considered a smooth experience.

I use an iphone. If i didn't, it'd be a Palm Pre. Both are superior to android easily because both Apple and Palm control the OS, the hardware, and processes.

You think android 1.5 is better right now than palm 1.3? That's highly debatable given how clunky android is. But come next spring, you'll still be using the same android version still waiting to catch up to what's been out for a month already. Apple will have introduced 4.0 in a preview and Palm will be using an updated version.

The only reason the Droid is popular is due to its hardware and verizon network. The OS is simply tolerated. It's like an updated windows mobile minus the productivity. No mass appeal.

Seriously, you like the fact that 2.1 is out and it'll be over 6 months before you get it??? Rumors of a Hero 2 will be out before then. You'll always be stuck months behind as each new android device is released with an updated version. Your apps will suck as devs struggle to design around a 100 different UI skins.

Wanting android is like wanting to relive the windows mobile experience. Screw that...
    2.1 is the newest coming to the hero and I doubt we will be left with outdated software. The hero is the biggest phone for android here and overseas when it first arrived in europe. I don't want to say DROID is the biggest because they just started selling it overseas. I don't see how you can say android sucks. Seriously, if palm went down and didn't make phones anymore, which operating system would you be on. Windows, or android. My choice would be android. What sprint phone do you see in the commercials by htc and sprint. Where is palm??? maybe they are putting more makeup on the milky looking girl in the commercial to make her look a little more creepy.

Palm decided to go a different route by making the phone and software. This was a fatal mistake because the forums are flooded with my phones dead, oreo, dead pixels, cracked screens, power button not working, and my battery life sucks. Just think about how many people having these problems that don't come on the forums. The people that do come to complain, are then called trolls...

The new card system coming on android 2.1 is not a ripoff. If you look at the pic I attached in my last post, people will see that it is a cards system of the homescreen, not the apps. Google just gave an update for google maps on the pre and it is being kept quite as kept, because google is focusing on google now. This is why you don't see street view, layars, and real navigation on most other operating system. Why give the competition a leg up.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post

Yup, I like active screen.
    Widgets are handy (specially weather and stocks).
    Hopefully PALM will add a page or two to their WebOS.
    But six and seven pages ? hmm thats not my preference.
    One or two will be fine.
    Yup, I like active screen.
    Widgets are handy (specially weather and stocks).
    Hopefully PALM will add a page or two to their WebOS.
    But six and seven pages ? hmm thats not my preference.
    One or two will be fine.
    I think 5 is the magic number but I like having 7 and I find that I use them all. There are so many widgets to choose from and so many apps that you will find yourself filling up the screens real quick.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I think 5 is the magic number but I like having 7 and I find that I use them all. There are so many widgets to choose from and so many apps that you will find yourself filling up the screens real quick.
    Its a preference, Two is fine with me.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    All this take about androids home screens - now imagine palm, the current dev or another dev taking the same idea to the next level.

Combined with advance gestures to quickly access open apps and the wave bar to access even more apps or the launcher and IMO it ****s all over android home screens. But to each his own...
    Last edited by helidos; 12/15/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    All this take about androids home screens - now imagine palm, the current dev or another dev taking the same idea to the next level.

Combined with advance gestures to quickly access open apps and the wave bar to access even more apps or the launcher and IMO it ****s all over android home screens. But to each his own...
    My money would be on current dev / another dev.

The homebrew community is going to have a video recorder before Palm...
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    for those who argue about Android being the best Mobile OS while incorporates best features from other platforms
    read

http://gizmodo.com/5427938/how-carri...lan-to-save-it