Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's all well and good, but i use an iphone :P I left Palm awhile back for many the same reasons as you listed.

What's relevant here i guess is that i would probably never go to android much like you would never go to the iphone...if i remember right..

But lets see how you're feeling come April if you're still on 1.6...
    My next device - circa June of 2010 - will either be:

1) HTC's next-gen Android handset for Sprint, assuming it has a 3.6-3.7-inch screen.
    2) A premier WebOS device assuming they get better apps, enable the GPU, and finish the OS. Oh, and it would need to have a bigger screen too.

If neither is on Sprint by then, sticking with the Hero will serve me just fine.

I wouldn't say I NEVER would go to iPhone. We have an iPod Touch, but just use it for music and games for my toddler on long road trips. We also have four lines with Sprint with everything including insurance and roadside assistance for $30 each per month. Don't see anyone pulling us away from them soon.
    Amazing how quickly someone can jump back and forth over a fence.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Are you sure ? how about GSM Pre ?

This is most ridiculous argument. I don't want to discredit you, but who do you trust with for fixing your car ? a guy whose sole profession is A "mechanic " ?
    or
    a plumber who can fix cars
    or an electrician who can paint and who can fix cars
    or a construction guy who can fix cars
    or a software developer guy who can google / youtube on fixing cars ?

Google is a smart company and has money. But they do billion things.
    They might be good at all billion of them FOR NOW, but in the long run the quality of their products goes down.

I would trust APPLE here.
    This is the most comical reply I've ever read. Wait!...are you the guy that lives off the grid and sells cows on his pre??? Or do you just live in a box?

You're right. I don't know about the GSM varieties.

I fix my own car. But I trust my email, calendar, internet searching, web browser, cloud documents, online phone number (Gvoice), online maps, and probably my phone OS choice soon to a company that dedicates their entire existance to doing those things the best. Do I need to spell it out for you? Your analogy is a bit off in my opinion.

Name me 1 Google product/service that has decreased in quality - ever.

You're right Google does many things, that's exactly my point. They're diversified - which (gasp) is a good thing. They have many services that interplay well with each other, grow off each others needs and/or developments, and have an unbelieveable company environment that stimulates growth, evolution and continued improvement.

I am still laughing that you think their quality will go down because they're a large, diverse, digital-era company with young talented employees that create unbelieveable products and services better than almost any company in the world.

Go do some reading before you write another awesome post. Here, I'll help you out.... Start HERE

DISCLAIMER: I don't work at Google. I wish I did. That'd be rad. I don't have an Android phone. I bought a Pre on day 1 (waited in line) and know way more about these phones than I care to admit. I believe in Sprint simply because my dollar goes the farthest with them and I know devices come and go approx every 6 months.

I started this thread because roughly 6 mo ago Android 1.6 was released. Droid (with 2.0) came out about a month ago. And the Nexus One is speculated to come out in another month with 2.1 (and if that's true I see why Sprint is waiting to update the Hero - I agree with that move). This thread has severely deviated from its intended path and that's my fault - sorry. Just trying to illustrate that people are Android is moving and shaking while I'm still rocking my "too many cards", "patched-to-high-heaven to get the features I want" webOS 1.3.1 Palm Pre. Like I said before....I'm hopeful an update will come soon that will change my mind.
    Haven't been on here in a while but thought I would check in to see what the word was on the New google phone.

Here is a pic of the new card view in the new android 2.1

Big Companies are going to android now Acer, Sony, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and LG, so things are gonna really get tough for little palm. I know people get ****ed hearing that but it's the truth. The Hero will soon have 2.1 and that will make the hero even better. The only thing the pre does better in my opinion is cards and a little faster browser, but you don't have flash so I could see why it's faster.

It's always gonna be a ****ing battle against palm and any other company but lets face the facts. If everyone is going to android, doesn't that say that android is superior. This is not the iphone, Android is the operating system of choice for basically every big cell phone manufacturer lately.

Some people don't like the hero but you have to realize that the hero is not android. The hero is just one soldier in the game. If palm doesn't step up and start getting some other manufacturers, then the google phone will kill it.

These little patches for this patches for that is not going to compare when google is dropping full updates.

Just speaking TheTruth sorry if I offended.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    This is the most comical reply I've ever read. Wait!...are you the guy that lives off the grid and sells cows on his pre??? Or do you just live in a box?
    yup I am the guy off the grid and BTW what is google ?

I fix my own car. But I trust my email, calendar, internet searching, web browser, cloud documents, online phone number (Gvoice), online maps, and probably my phone OS choice soon to a company that dedicates their entire existance to doing those things the best. Do I need to spell it out for you? Your analogy is a bit off in my opinion.

Name me 1 Google product/service that has decreased in quality - ever.

You're right Google does many things, that's exactly my point. They're diversified - which (gasp) is a good thing. They have many services that interplay well with each other, grow off each others needs and/or developments, and have an unbelieveable company environment that stimulates growth, evolution and continued improvement.

I am still laughing that you think their quality will go down because they're a large, diverse, digital-era company with young talented employees that create unbelieveable products and services better than almost any company in the world.
    Google Maps, Youtube are the two unbelievable products from unbelieveable company that are failing unbelieveablly. Google maps has become a joke.
    The location based search is a hit and miss.Couple of years back I trusted MAPS like nothing else. Now its a joke. I couldn't believe that I started using Bing (I used to love google and just couldn't stand Microsoft).
    Sure they continue to "redefine" the navigation market with their new offering while missing on very basic contextual search.

Coming to Youtube, its video search and buffering issues are laughable.

These two products are continually decreasing in quality.

There is a reason why GE is shedding divisions like left and right.
    I don't want to go further than this. More power to google.
    May they attract smart young folks to work for them.
    May they redefine the way world works.
    Im staying with Palm all the way.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    In jan we can get out of our sprint contracts without a termination fee and this phone is supposed to be coming out then. I'm jumping on this phone I wonder how many other sprint users will.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Amazing how quickly someone can jump back and forth over a fence.
    WebOS is great. WebOS on a shoddy built Pre isn't great. A Pixi isn't even a consideration.

On the other hand, Android sucks. The Droid hardware looks great if one could tolerate the OS. The Hero is old hardware with yesterday's screen.

Both OS's are unpolished, and need many more updates to be considered a smooth experience.

I use an iphone. If i didn't, it'd be a Palm Pre. Both are superior to android easily because both Apple and Palm control the OS, the hardware, and processes.

You think android 1.5 is better right now than palm 1.3? That's highly debatable given how clunky android is. But come next spring, you'll still be using the same android version still waiting to catch up to what's been out for a month already. Apple will have introduced 4.0 in a preview and Palm will be using an updated version.

The only reason the Droid is popular is due to its hardware and verizon network. The OS is simply tolerated. It's like an updated windows mobile minus the productivity. No mass appeal.

Seriously, you like the fact that 2.1 is out and it'll be over 6 months before you get it??? Rumors of a Hero 2 will be out before then. You'll always be stuck months behind as each new android device is released with an updated version. Your apps will suck as devs struggle to design around a 100 different UI skins.

Wanting android is like wanting to relive the windows mobile experience. Screw that...
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Exactly.
    Six different builds , six different skins by half a dozen manufacturers.
    End result is fragmentation.
    Like my previous post , I really would like to see how long Google can keep up with all their million products.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You're right Google does many things, that's exactly my point. They're diversified - which (gasp) is a good thing.

Go do some reading before you write another awesome post.
    Did some readin,

The five worst tech products of 2009 | Tech Sanity Check | TechRepublic.com

How bout that , two of the worst five tech products in 2009 are from google.
    Last edited by gbp; 12/14/2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: link
    WebOS is great. WebOS on a shoddy built Pre isn't great. A Pixi isn't even a consideration.
    Personally, I think you have this backwards. I think the Pre is a nice piece of hardware, a nice piece of hardware which WebOS has yet to make use of.

On the other hand, Android sucks. The Droid hardware looks great if one could tolerate the OS. The Hero is old hardware with yesterday's screen.
    You're right, it does suck, that's why it's about to take over the mobile market share.

Both OS's are unpolished, and need many more updates to be considered a smooth experience.
    So does the iPhone -- it's UX/UI is in dire need of an upgrade, it was cool 2 years ago.

I use an iphone. If i didn't, it'd be a Palm Pre. Both are superior to android easily because both Apple and Palm control the OS, the hardware, and processes.
    If you're an iPhone user, I'd love to see you drop your iPhone for a week and use nothing but a WebOS phone. After that, report back.

0 - For this being entirely an objective view.

You think android 1.5 is better right now than palm 1.3? That's highly debatable given how clunky android is. But come next spring, you'll still be using the same android version still waiting to catch up to what's been out for a month already. Apple will have introduced 4.0 in a preview and Palm will be using an updated version.
    Still using the same Android version? You're definitely mis-informed, and its sad because it's obvious you've based an opinion that stems from your ignorance.

The only reason the Droid is popular is due to its hardware and verizon network. The OS is simply tolerated. It's like an updated windows mobile minus the productivity. No mass appeal.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never even used or played with the Droid. It's a damn nice device, Android 2.0 compliments the hardware quite nicely. It's a fast fast phone.

Seriously, you like the fact that 2.1 is out and it'll be over 6 months before you get it??? Rumors of a Hero 2 will be out before then. You'll always be stuck months behind as each new android device is released with an updated version. Your apps will suck as devs struggle to design around a 100 different UI skins.
    UI skins? Again, you're mis-informed. :sigh: Not sure why I'm continuing to write this as you clearly have no grasp on things. You don't have to develop for a specific "skin" or UI, it's entirely up to you how you style your app if you don't stick to the default Android elements.

Fragmentation will never be an issue as long as the APIs remain backwards compatible (which they have).

Wanting android is like wanting to relive the windows mobile experience. Screw that...
    HTC HD2 -- Enuff said.

Your score: -6
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Wow Windows patrons
    though HD2 can be best used with WebOS
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    When do Folks understand that Android will loose quickly with no focus and fragmentation.
    Hmm, didn't they have 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0 now plus that Google Nexus phone is on 2.1.
    Oh I forgot , Sony was doing something with it too.
    At least Windows is currently at 6.5 ( worldwide).
    When do Folks understand that Android will loose quickly with no focus and fragmentation.
    Hmm, didn't they have 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0 now plus that Google Nexus phone is on 2.1.
    Oh I forgot , Sony was doing something with it too.
    At least Windows is currently at 6.5 ( worldwide).
    Well, I'm not sure what they're going to "loose", but in regards to fragmentation read my post above. Lack of focus? Please elaborate, it would appear to me that there's plenty of focus with the amount of updates there have been in the recent months. Where is Palms focus?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what they're going to "loose", but in regards to fragmentation read my post above. Lack of focus? Please elaborate, it would appear to me that there's plenty of focus with the amount of updates there have been in the recent months. Where is Palms focus?
    Go back and read. The Hero won't get an update til the first half of 2010. That's for a version of android that's already a month old. Where's all these updates for the Sprint Hero? 2.0 has been out awhile. Where is it?

That's not acceptable. This isn't google your buying. You're buying from the carrier and manufacturer and are beholden to them. Google can update android all it wants but they're not the ones updating or supporting your device.

Where's Palm's focus? On not having any of that BS. Though they've got other problems, they rightfully recognize the benefit of providing the OS, hardware, and being in charge of the whole process. They have every incentive to improve things because that is their business. Google's business would be having you use their services and click on ads.
    Where's Palm's focus? On not having any of that BS. Though they've got other problems, they rightfully recognize the benefit of providing the OS, hardware, and being in charge of the whole process. They have every incentive to improve things because that is their business.
    There you come again mis-informed! Nothing passes to you from Palm without going through Sprint first. Who pushes the OTA updates, Sprint or Palm?

Edit: My OTA analogy is a bad example because you can WebDR your phone; but the matter of fact is the firmware isn't released to masses until it's been through Sprint and approved by them. It's that way with every carrier and device, even the iPhone on AT&T.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Before we start ,
    can you explain to me why on earth a SPRINT HTC HERO can do a multi touch browsing on 1.5 while the super DROID with 2.0 cannot do it?
    Do they pay attention to details at Google ? If they did, then why did they let slip thru this must have feature ?
    A focused company will not let it happen.

Is anybody in-charge at Google ?
    Oh I know the answer, they let it on their hardware partners.
    How nice of them.
    Sure they have got to work on the Google Wave.
    There you come again mis-informed! Nothing passes to you from Palm without going through Sprint first. Who pushes the OTA updates, Sprint or Palm?

Edit: My OTA analogy is a bad example because you can WebDR your phone; but the matter of fact is the firmware isn't released to masses until it's been through Sprint and approved by them. It's that way with every carrier and device, even the iPhone on AT&T.
    Try to understand that Palm runs things. Getting sprint to write off is just a formality.

HTC has nothing to do with your android updates. They need time to wait for google to get through playing around. Then they get to work on modifying it until it actually become somewhat usable. That is, if they care enough to provide an update.

That's a sucky process to have to wait through. But its all part of the Android experience. Nevermind you'll be months behind with an update. But i suppose you can be rest assured it'll get here one day.

First half of 2010? Really?
    Go back and read. The Hero won't get an update til the first half of 2010. That's for a version of android that's already a month old. Where's all these updates for the Sprint Hero? 2.0 has been out awhile. Where is it?

That's not acceptable. This isn't google your buying. You're buying from the carrier and manufacturer and are beholden to them. Google can update android all it wants but they're not the ones updating or supporting your device.

Where's Palm's focus? On not having any of that BS. Though they've got other problems, they rightfully recognize the benefit of providing the OS, hardware, and being in charge of the whole process. They have every incentive to improve things because that is their business. Google's business would be having you use their services and click on ads.
    Before we start ,
    can you explain to me why on earth a SPRINT HTC HERO can do a multi touch browsing on 1.5 while the super DROID with 2.0 cannot do it?
    Do they pay attention to details at Google ? If they did, then why did they let slip thru this must have feature ?
    A focused company will not let it happen.

Is anybody in-charge at Google ?
    Oh I know the answer, they let it on their hardware partners.
    How nice of them.
    Sure they have got to work on the Google Wave.
    The Droid can do and DOES do multitouch. There are some apps in the US market that make use of it and the European version of the Droid is fully multitouch enabled.

My guess would be this:
    United States Patent: D603362
    Why does Google roll with Apple's punches? - Computerworld Blogs

And it wasn't Google responsible for enabling multitouch in 1.5 on the Hero, it was HTC.
    Try to understand that Palm runs things. Getting sprint to write off is just a formality.

HTC has nothing to do with your android updates. They need time to wait for google to get through playing around. Then they get to work on modifying it until it actually become somewhat usable. That is, if they care enough to provide an update.

That's a sucky process to have to wait through. But its all part of the Android experience. Nevermind you'll be months behind with an update. But i suppose you can be rest assured it'll get here one day.

First half of 2010? Really?
    This is like trying to beat a dead horse. If Android 1.5 was at the level WebOS currently is I would be ranting and raving about the 2.x update, but it's not. It's leaps and bounds above WebOS. If I wanted to install 2.1 on my Hero right now, I could, it's available just not officially.

Look, I'm about as unbiased as you get when it comes to mobile phones. I've owned two iPhones, a Pre and a Hero (in that order), I just state the facts as I see them.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast