Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I played with a HTC Hero the other day and was not impressed. I'm still happy with my Pre
    Honestly. I wasn't impressed either until I spent more time with it.

The more time I spent using it. The more I found things I liked (preferred).
    My Pre has had the opposite impact the past few months. In the first couple weeks using the Hero I realized how many things I am missing with the Pre that make a smartphone so convenient and useful.

I have no delusions that Android (or the Hero/Driod) are prefect either. Everything will have its strengths and weaknesses.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You seem pretty close minded about it. The homescreens are less obtrusive then pressing the button on your Pre to take your current card out of focus and swiping between them and selecting the card you want. You simply swipe from side to side. That's it.

Also, I think you are confusing two separate features? Holding the home button is used a a task manager of sorts. It opens a pop-up of the open apps? It really has nothing to do with the homescreens.

Both (webOS and Android UI) are intuitive and work relatively well. It just depends on which you prefer. The homescreens work very well for someone who wants to have allot of information/widgets readily available on your screen.
    Sire I am neither confused nor close minded.

First issue is switching between APPS. In WebOS with advanced gestures , you can switch between apps by swiping. If you have 10 cards open and you want to go to card 1 to card 10 , you have to swipe 9 times.
    When you are fully maximized on a card you have no idea of the other open cards. You have to either press the center button or swipe up to see what's out there on the screen.

In Android HTC HERO when you open multiple apps , you have no idea of how many APPS are open.You have to press and hold the home button to see the task manager. They use your trackball to switch between the apps.
    The task manager only shows 6 recent apps in an iconized format.

Its a matter of preference. On WebOS you will see the minimized card. Which is more visually appealing than say a rectagle box with icons. But again its preference.

The second issue is more interesting. I guess you haven't used your Pre enough in the right way. I have 60 APPS ( 60 widgets in Android speak) that span over three pages ( three home screens in Android). To get to the app of my choice I slide my keyboard then type first three letters.
    The universal search will display the result set. This is my preferred way.
    Alternately I can open the launcher ( the home screen in android) then browse through the launcher pages ( switch between the 7 home screens in Hero) , then tap on the app ( widget).

The fact that I type and the phone will get me what I want is "preferred" by me than going through home screens / launcher pages.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Honestly. I wasn't impressed either until I spent more time with it.

The more time I spent using it. The more I found things I liked (preferred).
    My Pre has had the opposite impact the past few months. In the first couple weeks using the Hero I realized how many things I am missing with the Pre that make a smartphone so convenient and useful.

I have no delusions that Android (or the Hero/Driod) are prefect either. Everything will have its strengths and weaknesses.
    Yup,
    I just didn't like it at first, then slowly got used to it.
    But the browser was no where near Pre.
    I "preferred" they keyboard, Browser and CARDS on Pre over Hero.
    Though , lack of the voice recording on Pre is killing me.
    Precisely where I was going with my comment but I didn't want to make an assumption.

mikah912 already made some points with regards to this.
    Patches/updates already have been released (similar to Palms record to this point).

I will add that the comparison is poor because you are looking at it in a vacuum. You are taking a small aspect of the larger picture and attempting to prove your opinion.

In reality and the larger picture... with Android (and the Hero getting 2.0)... you know it is already developed and in the pipeline for deployment in the next few months. All Palm has done (in 6 months) is release small patches that fix or slightly enhance existing features. Sprint/Android have followed the same path but have also announced the release of an entire OS version upgrade.

You really have no idea when webOS 2.0 will be released and it is not likely to be in the first half of next year.

Also, Android (Hero/Droid/etc) is already a more feature rich OS and environment (even at 1.5+) when compared to webOS.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/14/2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup,
    I just didn't like it at first, then slowly got used to it.
    But the browser was no where near Pre.
    I "preferred" they keyboard, Browser and CARDS on Pre over Hero.
    Though , lack of the voice recording on Pre is killing me.
    I completely agree the browser on the Pre is second to only the iPhone imo.

Android is acceptable but not up to par with the iPhone/Pre.

First issue is switching between APPS. In WebOS with advanced gestures , you can switch between apps by swiping. If you have 10 cards open and you want to go to card 1 to card 10 , you have to swipe 9 times.
    When you are fully maximized on a card you have no idea of the other open cards. You have to either press the center button or swipe up to see what's out there on the screen.

In Android HTC HERO when you open multiple apps , you have no idea of how many APPS are open.You have to press and hold the home button to see the task manager. They use your trackball to switch between the apps.
    Actually, that's not quite right. For one, you don't have to use the trackball at all. You can simply hold to bring up the six apps, then tap the icon of your choice.

Also, I don't think many people regularly use more than six actual APPS - not web pages, but apps - simultaneously on the Pre. What, with the rampant memory leaks and such...

I dunno, I just stopped thinking about all of that with Sense UI. For most day-to-day stuff, my device is set up so that everything is there. Always.

There's no typing to find apps or contacts. I rarely swipe through the app drawer to launch programs anymore.
    Precisely where I was going with my comment but I didn't want to make an assumption.

mikah912 already made some points with regards to this.
    Patches/updates already have been released.

I will add that the comparison is poor because you are looking at it in a vacuum. You are taking a small aspect of the larger picture and attempting to prove your opinion.

In reality... with Android (and the Hero getting 2.0)... you know it is already developed and in the pipeline for deployment in the next few months.

You really have no idea when webOS 2.0 will be released and it is not likely to be in the first half of next year.

Also, Android (Hero/Droid/etc) is already a more feature rich OS and environment (even at 1.5+) when compared to webOS.
    What Mikah said makes perfect sense. I personally wouldn't mind if Palm bottled up their minor updates and released them all at once in 6 months either.

But again, it's at the whim of different makers and carrier. HTC, i'd probably trust. Sammy and Moto? Not feeling that level of trust yet.

Over time, maybe i would. Would like to see how Palm plays out too when it comes to 2.x.

And i guess when it comes to android, it's that i just need time. Palm is a company i know though its a new OS & device but i'm still wait and see with them. Android is still wait and see with me as well. Guess that's why i'm still with an iphone. I know they'll have a major update this summer. I know they'll have a new device.
    I completely agree the browser on the Pre is second to only the iPhone imo.

Android is acceptable but not up to par with the iPhone/Pre.
    I prefer the Pre browser slightly, but it's not apples-to-apples on Hero.

It's slower hardware with Flash lite always enabled, and it's an older version of the browser build.

Its a matter of preference. On WebOS you will see the minimized card. Which is more visually appealing than say a rectagle box with icons. But again its preference.

The second issue is more interesting. I guess you haven't used your Pre enough in the right way. I have 60 APPS ( 60 widgets in Android speak) that span over three pages ( three home screens in Android). To get to the app of my choice I slide my keyboard then type first three letters.
    Alternately I can open the launcher ( the home screen in android) then browse through the launcher pages ( switch between the 7 home screens in Hero) , then tap on the app ( widget).

The fact that I type and the phone will get me what I want is "preferred" by me than going through home screens / launcher pages.
    I dunno what phone you're using, it's definitely not the Hero if you think you have to use the trackball to choose between one of the 6 apps shown. Also, icons on the desktop are not widgets, they are shortcuts, no different than a shortcut in Windows. If I were you, I'd be glad that I could have 60 apps on the Hero, 60 usable apps, that aren't just webapps. Launcher page is in alphabetical order on my Droid, it's really not that hard to get to apps at all, a single swipe and a tap.

This is exactly what I was referring to. You are referencing the homescreens and app switching pop-up in the same comparison. To me... they offer different functionality.

For example... I could have one homescreen list my agenda for the day, one for tasks, one for weather/news, etc... This would put very useful information readily available.

This serves a different purpose than simply switching Apps (like the active App pop-up would)

You are missing the entire benefit of Homescreens (at least to me)? It is not to simply provide an icon for launching Apps. You can actually display the information there (like my example above) AND launch the full App from there if you desire.

A quick basic example.

Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/14/2009 at 12:55 PM.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, that's not quite right. For one, you don't have to use the trackball at all. You can simply hold to bring up the six apps, then tap the icon of your choice.

Also, I don't think many people regularly use more than six actual APPS - not web pages, but apps - simultaneously on the Pre. What, with the rampant memory leaks and such...

I dunno, I just stopped thinking about all of that with Sense UI. For most day-to-day stuff, my device is set up so that everything is there. Always.

There's no typing to find apps or contacts. I rarely swipe through the app drawer to launch programs anymore.
    Yes, now i recollect you tap one of the six apps.
    And Agree , you don't need more than six apps live apps.

Agreed, and multiple browser windows on Android are kept in one session, so you can have a lot going on at once without having to have multiple instances running, and without dragging the whole system down.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I dunno what phone you're using, it's definitely not the Hero if you think you have to use the trackball to choose between one of the 6 apps shown. Also, icons on the desktop are not widgets, they are shortcuts, no different than a shortcut in Windows. If I were you, I'd be glad that I could have 60 apps on the Hero, 60 usable apps, that aren't just webapps. Launcher page is in alphabetical order on my Droid, it's really not that hard to get to apps at all, a single swipe and a tap.
    Hero and you are right , you actually tap one of the six in the box.

And regarding apps , I am referring to not having them organized rather the phone find them as I type.

That search feature is handy when you reach 200 - 300 apps level.

Again its preference.
    Hero and you are right , you actually tap one of the six in the box.

And regarding apps , I am referring to not having them organized rather the phone find them as I type.

That search feature is handy when you reach 200 - 300 apps level.

Again its preference.
    Doesn't Android 2.0 already have universal search through programs and other aspects WebOS doesn't, tho?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    That's right "...card-style preview of all homescreen pages."
    What's the point of then adding a card view to see what homescreens you could swipe to, then close the card view and actually do the swiping? What's the point? Just swipe to the homescreen you want in the first place.
    xtn
    The point is: Quickly jumping from screen to screen rather than 3-7 'linear' swipes (as someone else put it). Also, think outside the box people. Right now Android supports widgets on homescreens, but I'll put money on it you'll soon see the ability to run live apps (true multitasking like the pre) that reside on different homescreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Doesn't get much more simple than this:
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    On a Pre, i just flip open kb, type a couple of letters and press enter. Go.

On an iphone, i use the main launch screen. Anything else i use spotlight.

The only swiping i'd want to do is open apps or pics. But really just want one launch screen. Ability to do settings from anywhere..drop down. I'd like to see Apple put a search (along with voice) option on the main launch page in 4.0.

Android is too slow to update. Will Sprint android users really have to wait for the first half of 2010 for an update?
    Do some research bud....Android uses 1 launcher tray. The homescreens are for adding icons you use the most (*cough* launcher bar in webOS) or widgets-which are similar to, but not the same as full apps. The homescreens are not for hosting all your app icons, the launcher tray is (just like webOS, oh, except I can't put icons on my Pre homescreen...just my 4 favs in the launcher bar along with that worthless launcher button)

Also, Android too slow?!?! I beg to differ. Google went from announcement to first the G1 on the market in less than 1 year. Already on 2.0 with massive, useful improvements in 2 years (how long did the iPhone take to get cut/copy/paste again??? or MMS??? granted the latter was a function of ATT). And they've already sponsored 2 major Developer Challenges that have produced some of the most impressive apps the world has ever seen. Oh, but I can download iFart Pro on my Pre for $5 - please. Android advancing too slow? Pass over whatever it is you're smoking....

Arguably, Android is moving faster than everyone else. Growing their market share with each new device. Case and point: Droid.

Good points as well. It really comes down to how you use your device.
    Or stated another way....how your device lets you use it.

What information are you basing this off?
    So many misinformed/uninformed people jumping to assumptions and making poor analogies/comparisons.
    100% agree. This is a Pre-fan site (myself included). I probably shouldn't have started this thread in this forum.

Thing is, you're relying on carriers & phone makers (for UI skins if any) for updates. I'd rather rely on Palm or Apple who can simply push em out sooner.
    Close but no cigar - all updates to the Pre/Pixi are pushed only after the carriers approval. Palm doesn't push them autonomously. Apple, I believe they do, but I'm not positive.

Who do you think will produce updates faster? Google (Mkt CAP: 189 Billion), Apple (Mkt CAP: 177 Billion) or Palm (Mkt CAP: 1.7 Billion). Do the math. Google and Apple have the resources and backing now. Palm doesn't.

I figure I'd been waiting six months (and counting) for Palm to fix some of major issues I had with WebOS (e.g. having to wait for every picture to process individually when looking at photos, scrolling choppiness, Too Many Cards error).
    100% agree. We're 6 months in and they still haven't released GPU support. So, I paid for a phone that has a GPU, but I still haven't seen it's power. I know it would help with UI issues - just ask my friends with a 3GS. C'mon already Palm. Polish the product a little more for us that are desperately following you on faith that "better" is coming.

MAN! You were doing so well with the first half of your post. The second half (bold) is a bit misinformed, or maybe confused. Launcher pages do NOT equal Home screens. Android has universal search also....came with Donut (2.0 for the layperson). Oh......and it'll search your calendar events too....my Pre can't do that yet. But for you, it WILL search your apps and allow you to launch from the results. This was all demoed at the Google I/O back in May

Android +2 | Pre +0

In reality and the larger picture... with Android (and the Hero getting 2.0)... you know it is already developed and in the pipeline for deployment in the next few months. All Palm has done (in 6 months) is release small patches that fix or slightly enhance existing features. Sprint/Android have followed the same path but have also announced the release of an entire OS version upgrade.

I like this guy - he knows his stuff....nice perspective too. Hell yea 2.0 is polished. That's the Google way - nothing gets out of their door unless it's actually ready. And you're spot on with Palm as well. I'll hash it again - Activate my GPU! Let me search my calendar events! STOP TELLING ME I'VE GOT TOO MANY CARDS OPEN when I don't have any open (read: fix the major memory leaks that exist in 1.3.1).

I'm a Palm fan through and through....don't get confused here. But it's hard to ignore what Google/Android is doing. They're advancing and expanding on others' ideas to make a feature-rich, highly-customizable, extremely fast and snappy user experience. Not to mention, they don't charge a dime for their OS (I know I know....their motives are via future mobile advertising channels, that's fine with me as long as they keep cranking out beautiful and functional products that improve my daily life.)

Palm is smart. They don't have to be Android and they don't have to be iPhone. They are webOS. It's different for a reason. Where I get frustrated is when my launcher sits and lags, or it takes me 10 solid seconds to search for a contact to give their number to someone, or when I have to reset my phone because of the "too many cards" BS.....I'm hoping Palm impresses me soon with a stellar (legitimate) update....no more band-aids please. I've been patient. I've bragged about you to everyone that will listen and even hyped every update I've heard is coming (via Precentral of course). Hell, I've even sold about 6 Pres FOR YOU by showing my friends. I'm just really hoping something impressive is coming soon because the more and more Android devices that come out that are superior to my Pre (hardware aside - talking solely about OS capabilities and UI experience)....I keep second guessing my choice to stay.

Ok, I'm done ranting. I think it's my first ever "rant post", so play nice with the flames
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Arguably, Android is moving faster than everyone else. Growing their market share with each new device. Case and point: Droid.
    Thanks to HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola for their customizations.

Close but no cigar - all updates to the Pre/Pixi are pushed only after the carriers approval. Palm doesn't push them autonomously. Apple, I believe they do, but I'm not positive.
    Are you sure ? how about GSM Pre ?

Who do you think will produce updates faster? Google (Mkt CAP: 189 Billion), Apple (Mkt CAP: 177 Billion) or Palm (Mkt CAP: 1.7 Billion). Do the math. Google and Apple have the resources and backing now. Palm doesn't.
    This is most ridiculous argument. I don't want to discredit you, but who do you trust with for fixing your car ? a guy whose sole profession is A "mechanic " ?
    or
    a plumber who can fix cars
    or an electrician who can paint and who can fix cars
    or a construction guy who can fix cars
    or a software developer guy who can google / youtube on fixing cars ?

Google is a smart company and has money. But they do billion things.
    They might be good at all billion of them FOR NOW, but in the long run the quality of their products goes down.
    I would trust APPLE here.

MAN! You were doing so well with the first half of your post. The second half (bold) is a bit misinformed, or maybe confused. Launcher pages do NOT equal Home screens. Android has universal search also....came with Donut (2.0 for the layperson). Oh......and it'll search your calendar events too....my Pre can't do that yet. But for you, it WILL search your apps and allow you to launch from the results. This was all demoed at the Google I/O back in May

Android +2 | Pre +0
    Perhaps I should have said APPS on launcher page are different than the home page "Live widgets". But hey, I am not a big fan of live widgets.

Palm is smart. They don't have to be Android and they don't have to be iPhone. They are webOS. It's different for a reason. Where I get frustrated is when my launcher sits and lags, or it takes me 10 solid seconds to search for a contact to give their number to someone, or when I have to reset my phone because of the "too many cards" BS.....I'm hoping Palm impresses me soon with a stellar (legitimate) update....no more band-aids please.

Ok, I'm done ranting. I think it's my first ever "rant post", so play nice with the flames
    Are you sure PALM is smart ?
    They should Stay Hungry and Stay Foolish.
    Do some research bud....Android uses 1 launcher tray. The homescreens are for adding icons you use the most (*cough* launcher bar in webOS) or widgets-which are similar to, but not the same as full apps. The homescreens are not for hosting all your app icons, the launcher tray is (just like webOS, oh, except I can't put icons on my Pre homescreen...just my 4 favs in the launcher bar along with that worthless launcher button)

Also, Android too slow?!?! I beg to differ. Google went from announcement to first the G1 on the market in less than 1 year. Already on 2.0 with massive, useful improvements in 2 years (how long did the iPhone take to get cut/copy/paste again??? or MMS??? granted the latter was a function of ATT). And they've already sponsored 2 major Developer Challenges that have produced some of the most impressive apps the world has ever seen. Oh, but I can download iFart Pro on my Pre for $5 - please. Android advancing too slow? Pass over whatever it is you're smoking....

That Droid over there isn't your Sprint Hero. You got 1.6 (i think..hard to keep em straight). You'll have that 1.6 til sometime in the first half of next year. Sometime during that point you'll celebrate getting android 2.1 although it could be June. I remember the last time Sprint mentioned "first half." This might not hurt much if that Droid over there wasn't already at 2.0 or 2.1..whichever.

Maybe the Bravo or Passion or Nexus one (gphone?) will come out and be 2.5. Yay for them. Sucks for you and the Hero though. Droid users will then start their clock wanting 2.5 up instead of 2.1. That's up to Moto and Verizon...not Google. But wait a minute, you Hero guys are still waiting for 2.0. Or was that 2.1? First half still? And Samsung is at 1.5..but they've got no UI on the moment. First half just the same.

There's still others yet to rain down. Acer? Dell? LG? Do i hear 2.6..maybe 2.7? Is it June yet? Did Hero get 2.0 yet? Screw that..we need 2.7.
    That Droid over there isn't your Sprint Hero. You got 1.6 (i think..hard to keep em straight). You'll have that 1.6 til sometime in the first half of next year. Sometime during that point you'll celebrate getting android 2.1 although it could be June. I remember the last time Sprint mentioned "first half." This might not hurt much if that Droid over there wasn't already at 2.0 or 2.1..whichever.

Maybe the Bravo or Passion or Nexus one (gphone?) will come out and be 2.5. Yay for them. Sucks for you and the Hero though. Droid users will then start their clock wanting 2.5 up instead of 2.1. That's up to Moto and Verizon...not Google. But wait a minute, you Hero guys are still waiting for 2.0. Or was that 2.1? First half still? And Samsung is at 1.5..but they've got no UI on the moment. First half just the same.

There's still others yet to rain down. Acer? Dell? LG? Do i hear 2.6..maybe 2.7? Is it June yet? Did Hero get 2.0 yet? Screw that..we need 2.7.
    All fortune telling and speculation aside...

Sprint HTC Hero Android 1.56.651.2 w/ SenseUI (to be specific) > Sprint Palm Pre webOS 1.3.1
    Verizon Motorola Droid Android 2.0 > Sprint Palm Pre webOS 1.3.1
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/14/2009 at 02:43 PM.

This would be more meaningful to me if:

1) I had a bunch of issues that needed attention, and I knew were fixed in later versions and...
    2) I was restricted from the apps I like because they only worked on 2.0 and later

Neither is the case. I go to the old, crusty version of the Android Market, and what do I see? Every single Android app recommended by everyone else, aside from Google Goggles and Navigation, both of which JUST came out. But I use Sprint nav, and wouldn't use Goggles except to show off anyway, so who cares?

Otherwise, I'm good. Every piece of hardware is being utilized in my device. Every app has contextual menus, and the OS is finished and merely undergoing upgrades. I don't have to download desktop apps, input codes and reset my device JUST to add another launcher page or to load a beta video recorder.

I switched to the Hero precisely because it did what I needed to do now. 2.0 and beyond is icing on the cake. By contrast, the Pre is almost all promise and potential from the GPU to the apps to memory leak fixes to even the very OS being finished at some point in the future.

I got promise and potential for free at CES in January. When I drop $199 or less, I'd prefer to get something else for my money.
    This would be more meaningful to me if:

1) I had a bunch of issues that needed attention, and I knew were fixed in later versions and...
    2) I was restricted from the apps I like because they only worked on 2.0 and later

Neither is the case. I go to the old, crusty version of the Android Market, and what do I see? Every single Android app recommended by everyone else, aside from Google Goggles and Navigation, both of which JUST came out. But I use Sprint nav, and wouldn't use Goggles except to show off anyway, so who cares?

Otherwise, I'm good. Every piece of hardware is being utilized in my device. Every app has contextual menus, and the OS is finished and merely undergoing upgrades. I don't have to download desktop apps, input codes and reset my device JUST to add another launcher page or to load a beta video recorder.

I switched to the Hero precisely because it did what I needed to do now. 2.0 and beyond is icing on the cake. By contrast, the Pre is almost all promise and potential from the GPU to the apps to memory leak fixes to even the very OS being finished at some point in the future.

I got promise and potential for free at CES in January. When I drop $199 or less, I'd prefer to get something else for my money.
    That's all well and good, but i use an iphone :P I left Palm awhile back for many the same reasons as you listed. Wife owns one and i'm still interested to see where their going though.

What's relevant here i guess is that i would probably never go to android much like you would never go to the iphone...if i remember right..

But lets see how you're feeling come April if you're still on 1.6...
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast