Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Cousin came over today and he had the droid. first off he HATES!!! the keyboard, so much so he bought the phone BECAUSE it had the keyboard! He bought the phone and not an Iphone because he is an AVID texter and now ONLY uses the touchscreen keyboard. So I used it and while it has a fairly good touch screen, i did think it was as good as the PRE's. navigation around the apps and menu's seemed clunky and not very user friendly. However as we compared plans he was BLOWN away by the price differences between phones and mostly ****ED about the very high ETF fee he now has. with all of that he said that he would have prolly in hindsight waited to get off contract and get an IPHONE. he did not use my phone or even look at it as we were just talking casually. He did say he LOVES the prices on Sprint and said he might switch if his GF will let him. I personally think the droid is GREAT for verizon but it felt like the difference between Prime steak house steak vs supermarket steak. both good but one is far superior. the Pre just operates with elegance. btw i know i am biased , but truly would not want the droid if i had a choice
    We were at a Street Fair yesterday and there was a Verizon booth. All of the sales reps say everyone who has bought the Droid hate the keyboard and not that impressed with the phone itself. DH looked at it (he is on Verizon) and then he looked at some HTC one they have (which was pretty sweet --- still I wouldn't give up my Sprint plan for a Verizon one) but he is going to hold out until May and come to Sprint and get the Pre.
    Personally I love everything about the Droid except the keyboard and the fact you can't get it on Sprint. They keyboard truly is a joke, I can't believe they screwed it up that bad. I love the form factor, screen size, and the general feel of it. Compared to the Pre it is so much more solid, particularly the slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by boyo3221 View Post
    He did say he LOVES the prices on Sprint and said he might switch if his GF will let him.
    wtfreak?
    Once again the Droid is only doing well is because of advertisement. Plus people don't want to leave verizon for crappy At&t so they are settling for the Droid. I think soon as Palm gets out to the other carriers they will be in a good position to start really pushing the limits with there next flagship phone. People will start to get the idea that WebOs is amazing and you will see people jumping ship from the iphones and Android phones over to webos. Those same people just don't listen to Sprint Users about phones because they all think Sprint sucks which is absolutely not true. Sprint always has the best phones and you can not compete with there plans.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    the Droid is hands down far and away the best Android phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    We were at a Street Fair yesterday and there was a Verizon booth. All of the sales reps say everyone who has bought the Droid hate the keyboard and not that impressed with the phone itself. DH looked at it (he is on Verizon) and then he looked at some HTC one they have (which was pretty sweet --- still I wouldn't give up my Sprint plan for a Verizon one) but he is going to hold out until May and come to Sprint and get the Pre.
    Similarly, we saw the Droid at a fair that came to town a month and a half, ago. We played with it a couple of times and remained unimpressed each time. I really do think that is one clunky ui they've got there.

I'd take the Pre, every time. I agree that advertising has made quite a difference for the Droid. Too bad we'll never know how well the Pre would've done with some on-target, deep-penetration (no jokes) ads.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Similarly, we saw the Droid at a fair that came to town a month and a half, ago. We played with it a couple of times and remained unimpressed each time. I really do think that is one clunky ui they've got there.

I'd take the Pre, every time. I agree that advertising has made quite a difference for the Droid. Too bad we'll never know how well the Pre would've done with some on-target, deep-penetration (no jokes) ads.
    the Droid's version of Android is indeed clunky because it's bare bones. The Hero and Eris are much nicer to use with HTC's UI overlayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    Once again the Droid is only doing well is because of advertisement. Plus people don't want to leave verizon for crappy At&t so they are settling for the Droid. I think soon as Palm gets out to the other carriers they will be in a good position to start really pushing the limits with there next flagship phone. People will start to get the idea that WebOs is amazing and you will see people jumping ship from the iphones and Android phones over to webos. Those same people just don't listen to Sprint Users about phones because they all think Sprint sucks which is absolutely not true. Sprint always has the best phones and you can not compete with there plans.
    Spoken like someone who's not spent any significant amount of time with the Droid.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

Easily remedied,you can modify a LOT on the Droid, without having to root it. The Home++ Home Screen replacement is free, and is incredibly functional and customizable. Here's my Droidtop:

(the 6 white icons on the bottom scroll from left to right, giving even more functionality, including a task killer)

The phone also doesn't suffer like the Pre with "Sorry too many cards" BS. I have apps running in the background all the time, switching to them is easy, and they don't consume extra cpu when they aren't in focus. Palm has a long way to go on that front
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    the Droid's version of Android is indeed clunky because it's bare bones. The Hero and Eris are much nicer to use with HTC's UI overlayed.
    Sense UI is ok, but it's not for everyone. My mom has the Droid Eris(got it on the BOGO deal when I bought my Droid), and it's nice, but nowhere near as fast or customizable out of the box as the Droid. Home++ with some widgets has made me not even think about Sense UI, it doesn't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by boyo3221 View Post
    My Cousin came over today and he had the droid. first off he HATES!!! the keyboard, so much so he bought the phone BECAUSE it had the keyboard! He bought the phone and not an Iphone because he is an AVID texter and now ONLY uses the touchscreen keyboard. So I used it and while it has a fairly good touch screen, i did think it was as good as the PRE's. navigation around the apps and menu's seemed clunky and not very user friendly. However as we compared plans he was BLOWN away by the price differences between phones and mostly ****ED about the very high ETF fee he now has. with all of that he said that he would have prolly in hindsight waited to get off contract and get an IPHONE. he did not use my phone or even look at it as we were just talking casually. He did say he LOVES the prices on Sprint and said he might switch if his GF will let him. I personally think the droid is GREAT for verizon but it felt like the difference between Prime steak house steak vs supermarket steak. both good but one is far superior. the Pre just operates with elegance. btw i know i am biased , but truly would not want the droid if i had a choice
    Definitely biased. The keyboard on the Droid isn't the best thing ever, but spend more than a day typing on it, and you're used to it already. I don't use the on-screen keyboard all that much anymore, though I do like its predictive text and corrections. Like I mentioned earlier, Home++ makes navigation to apps easy, and the multitasking implementation(hold the home key down) is great. I can do more to customize my Droid thus far without having to deal with Preware or WebOS Quick Install, it's very easy to modify. Also, my plan is only 10 more than it was on Sprint, and while I don't have texting, I do have texting, because I'm fully integrated with Google Voice, it handles literally all of my texting on the phone, because Android lets you set default apps for almost everything. 100% free texting. I also have an app called SIPDroid, which provides VOIP capabilities, so combining my GV account and my Sipgate account, I have 100% unlimited calling, on WiFi or 3G, for $80 a month. Beat that on the Pre, I don't think you can.
    great post.
    very informative post elysian. my plan is 70/month with unlimited txting and data without going through trouble of using gvoice. only use it for visual vm. I've played with it several times because my friend has it. its an impresssive phone. love the feel, awesome battery life compared to my pre, and speaker is very loud too. yeah, we did a music battle. web os is a superior os in general. pre does have it flaws but between the two, i think the pre is better but it does not detract from the fact that the droid is pretty awesome and renewed my faith in motorola.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    very informative post elysian. my plan is 70/month with unlimited txting and data without going through trouble of using gvoice. only use it for visual vm. I've played with it several times because my friend has it. its an impresssive phone. love the feel, awesome battery life compared to my pre, and speaker is very loud too. yeah, we did a music battle. web os is a superior os in general. pre does have it flaws but between the two, i think the pre is better but it does not detract from the fact that the droid is pretty awesome and renewed my faith in motorola.
    In concept, webos may be "better", but in practice, no. There is nothing webos can do android can't, but there are tons of things android can do webos can't. You can't sell phones on promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    In concept, webos may be "better", but in practice, no. There is nothing webos can do android can't, but there are tons of things android can do webos can't. You can't sell phones on promise.
    android cannot run the palmOS legacy apps I am required to have.

for me that is a real sticking point.

I tried maemo on a n810, (because it CAN run the legacy apps of palmOS) but that was a true beta experiance, unlike the pre.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    android cannot run the palmOS legacy apps I am required to have.

for me that is a real sticking point.

I tried maemo on a n810, (because it CAN run the legacy apps of palmOS) but that was a true beta experiance, unlike the pre.
    And what palm os apps don't have an iphone or android equivalent? How much have you searched? I don't see that as an excuse to be a palm beta tester
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Coincidentally, I was playing with the Droid today while shopping at BJ's. It's true, the keyboard is cr*p, er, I meant flat. No comparison with the Pre's. Now the UI, I was not impressed at all, but I do admit that I didn't spend the requisite amount of time. As with anything, one will become accustomed with enough time. That being said, WebOS and it's gestures is just a breeze to navigate; little time required.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Coincidentally, I was playing with the Droid today while shopping at BJ's. It's true, the keyboard is cr*p, er, I meant flat. No comparison with the Pre's. Now the UI, I was not impressed at all, but I do admit that I didn't spend the requisite amount of time. As with anything, one will become accustomed with enough time. That being said, WebOS and it's gestures is just a breeze to navigate; little time required.
    I'm not sure what's so cryptic about Android's controls. I picked it right up and it was almost second nature right away. The Pre's controls are ok, but the gesture area doesn't serve enough purpose, IMO. The Droid has a similar area, but instead of gestures, it's dedicated "buttons", which make things so much easier to figure out, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    And what palm os apps don't have an iphone or android equivalent? How much have you searched? I don't see that as an excuse to be a palm beta tester
    I was talking about android. Droid Dosnt do what I need.

my school requires epocrates.

android dosnt have it
    it has alternatives but as jobs hisself highlighted at the induction of iphone apps, epocrates is key.

also uptodate

as far as beta test maemo 4 was a beta test, the pre is version 1 release. I have tried a real beta device, palm is not that.

I like the android devices I like gadgets, the pre is a good phone good pda and a spectacular gadget.

the fact that my wife, an intelligent women who has no interest fubleing around with a gadget, and just wants a working phone and pda, uses a pre without ANY of my input or trouble shooting, flawlessly, and that I can geek out on it at the same time, makes me feel that way.

it has glaring flaws I know, tasks app is incomplete for example. But its a great device, and I'm not sure I would switch if I could for free, even if android had legacy support.
    Last edited by windzilla; 12/13/2009 at 09:47 PM.
    why did you join this forum? serious question.
    Because he owns a Pre? I didn't see anywhere that said this was a Pre Fansite, last I checked it was a discussion forum.
    why did you join this forum? serious question.

a better qustion is why did he/she not return the phone? Or does it not suck for the first 30 days you have it.

also maybe they are on a carrier that won't allow returns in thirty days?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    a better qustion is why did he/she not return the phone? Or does it not suck for the first 30 days you have it.

also maybe they are on a carrier that won't allow returns in thirty days?
    First 30 days I had it were the first month it was out, and I had it for 6 months after that, still hanging on to that promise that it'd get better, still hoping the next update would at least put it on par with Android. It never came, and I went through 7 phones with hardware issues during this time period. How could I have predicted, in the first 30 days this product was out, that it'd flop so badly? If anything, it should have been the most solid product Palm has EVER released, and that's what I expected from the hardware side of things, because of how poorly they were doing, but found that instead it was a colossal piece of crap.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast