Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    /yawn
    That's it? After endlessly defending Android.....that's it?

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    That's it? After endlessly defending Android.....that's it?

wkj
    I've made my points (regarding fragmentation). The article by in large is simply speculation.

I especially liked this portion.

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    That makes the platform less attractive to the developers Google relies on to build interesting applications, and to end-users who may find that an application they download doesn't work on their phone.

A market with many versions of the software, and more to come, could discourage developers from building applications for the platform, said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at Interpret. They'll wonder which version to bet on. "That type of confusion doesn't give developers a warm and fuzzy feeling," he said.
    Obviously that is currently hurting development for Android applications...

And if you actually read the article (and the context of the the paragraph above) it clearly states it "could" hurt...

Which nearly everyone in this thread is agreed upon... it is a concern for the future... but not a significant issue at this point.

I like many things about webOS... I just can't continue to ignore the many glaring holes and issues in the OS. I will reactivate my Pre in a heartbeat if Palm gets thier act together and comes up to speed with the rest of the market.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I will say this after having played with a Droid this weekend, it is just as slow, laggy and choppy as the Pre. It seems the iPhone is the only one that really gets it right. Scrolling webpages or sliding out the app drawer on the droid was painfully choppy and certainly intolerable. After a little research it looks like Android, like WebOS, refuses to use the GPU for GUI animations and other elements.
  4. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I've made my points (regarding fragmentation). The article by in large is simply speculation.

I especially liked this portion.

Obviously that is currently hurting development for Android applications...

And if you actually read the article (and the context of the the paragraph above) it clearly states it "could" hurt...

Which nearly everyone in this thread is agreed upon... it is a concern for the future... but not a significant issue at this point.

I like many things about webOS... I just can't continue to ignore the many glaring holes and issues in the OS. I will reactivate my Pre in a heartbeat if Palm gets thier act together and comes up to speed with the rest of the market.
    2010 is right around the corner and it looks like it could be very interesting. Let's hope everything works out for the better all around!

wkj
  5. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    I will say this after having played with a Droid this weekend, it is just as slow, laggy and choppy as the Pre. It seems the iPhone is the only one that really gets it right. Scrolling webpages or sliding out the app drawer on the droid was painfully choppy and certainly intolerable. After a little research it looks like Android, like WebOS, refuses to use the GPU for GUI animations and other elements.
    I've played with an iphone for less that 5 minutes total (I shudder at Apple....LOL), but anyway, is the iphone really as snappy as it shows on the commercials? Or is that just some tv wizardry?

I'd love for other platforms to be that smooth.

wkj
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectHorizon View Post
    I finally had enough. Laggy interface, crappy construction, cheap feel and PATHETIC....once again...PATHETIC app store. My pre met its demise from a swift throw towards a hard wall...Purchased HTC Hero with android. 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than pre. nearly infinite FREE apps that actually do stuff as oposed to nearly infinite $2 apps that tell me about the sports news in cinicinatti or houston or whatever..
    Other than the app store, can you be more specfic to what you like more?

I am in my 30 days with the pre (new to sprint) - and though I played with the Hero at the store, that was not enough time to really get an idea of how the phone works daily.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    I but anyway, is the iphone really as snappy as it shows on the commercials? Or is that just some tv wizardry?
    The iphones I've played with are pretty snappy; however the commercials do include a (very tiny) disclaimer that the transitions didn't reflect the actual times.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The iphones I've played with are pretty snappy; however the commercials do include a (very tiny) disclaimer that the transitions didn't reflect the actual times.
    Ahh.......never noticed the disclaimer. Watched the vid in your sig.....so true!

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomeygun View Post
    Other than the app store, can you be more specfic to what you like more?

I am in my 30 days with the pre (new to sprint) - and though I played with the Hero at the store, that was not enough time to really get an idea of how the phone works daily.

thanks
    Visual Voice Mail - I love this.
    Speech Recognition - Can do speech to text for search, text, voice dialing, etc... a little buggy but moderately useful. Hands free voice dialing is not completely hands free...
    Dolphin Browser - Probably the best mobile browser and getting better weekly. Can create/customize advanced gestures.
    Homescreens/Widgets - May be a personal preference... but I like them and have grown accustomed to them from years of WM.
    Agenda View (App/widget) - This is very useful for me.
    Video Recording
    Sound Recording
    Battery Life - it's a noticeable difference and I do not have to turn my phone into a hockey puck for it to last a full day. It's not leaps and bounds better but it seems to be just enough to make a difference for me.
    Build Quality - A very solid phone (Hero) but has the advantage of not being a slider as well.
    Tethering - A bit of a ritual but it works flawlessly for me and there are 3rd party apps that work flawlessly. 1.3.1 made a bit of a mess with MyTether but it's still possible.

My point of reference is from a HTC Hero (not Droid).
    I think the Pre would be perfect for some who just want a good web browser, email and some decent basic apps. I am just used to so much more. Even the Hero comes up short in some categories. If I could seriously combine the two phones and take the best of both worlds, I could quite possible be in phone Nirvana.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/21/2009 at 01:06 PM.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456