Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Droid's screen is pretty big, I dunno what Droid you've been looking at. And yes, Windows Mobile is plenty intuitive, sorry if you disagree, but I guess that's the thing about opinions eh? About cardview, all it is is a screen waste, and you can't use enough cards to make it any "better" than Android's 6 task view. The only thing that makes it "better"(read prettier) is that it kind of shows you whats on each card. That's it. I don't need that, I know what my apps look like, I also don't need it for the browser on Android, because multiple instances run in the same window, and the browser has it's own switcher. Having multiple browser instances on the Pre is one of the most unintuitive things they could have ever done, they should have gone with tabs in a single browser window, but they screwed the pooch there too.
    droid screen area, like most handheld devices besides, is smaller than a credit card.

droid is 3773 mm^2 (calculated)
    Engadget does side-by-side of Droid vs. iPhone browsing | 9 to 5 Mac

a credit card is 4620 mm^2 (calculated)
    Credit card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so yea, UI is important, and we will just have to disagree, i say cards are great, and have a pre, you say cards aren't great, and don't. seems like everyone is where they need to be.

cheers
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    WebOS is far from smooth LOL, it's downright choppy, it's limited severely by an obvious memory hole, and doesn't manage memory well to begin with. It doesn't even use the GPU, detracting even more from any "smoothness" argument. Android is incredibly smooth, it's obvious you haven't spent much time with it. Even my mom's Droid Eris with the 528mhz Qualcomm chip is smoother than the Pre. Every aspect of the OS just makes sense. WebOS is a 1 trick pony, card view, which, while an interesting take on multitasking, really only does one thing. Removes the ability to have an actual desktop. No widgets, only 5 icons in the launcher bar, no added functionality. WebOS is minimalist, at best, which is not for everyone. Android 2.0, and likely 2.1, will easily change the way you think about Android, if you spend any serious amount of time with it. I used to be a naysayer, Android wasn't for me, the whole 9 yards, loved WebOS(still think it has some promise, but it's got so many obstacles right now...) Now that I have an Android phone, it's really opened my eyes to how great this platform is.

IMO, the highlighted portion is the most important thing...Its not for everyone. That applies to both the Pre as well the Droid...hell, any phone for that matter! Everyone has different needs, preferences, etc, etc. The superiority of one phone over another is an opinion, not fact. Theres plenty that other phones can do that the Pre cannot, and also that the Droid cannot. Does that make one phone superior over another? Possibly. Possibly not.

I love the Pre and will give it time. If it does not show progress as i hope it will then I will be moving along to an android phone. I like the Droid, but I hate landscape keyboards...my personal preference. They work great, but at times I like and need to text/email with one hand if I'm carrying things.

My Pre runs as smooth as I need it to. But thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chino0131 View Post
    IMO, the highlighted portion is the most important thing...Its not for everyone. That applies to both the Pre as well the Droid...hell, any phone for that matter! Everyone has different needs, preferences, etc, etc. The superiority of one phone over another is an opinion, not fact. Theres plenty that other phones can do that the Pre cannot, and also that the Droid cannot. Does that make one phone superior over another? Possibly. Possibly not.

I love the Pre and will give it time. If it does not show progress as i hope it will then I will be moving along to an android phone. I like the Droid, but I hate landscape keyboards...my personal preference. They work great, but at times I like and need to text/email with one hand if I'm carrying things.

My Pre runs as smooth as I need it to. But thats just me.
    Virtual keyboard+predictive text works incredibly well for one handed texting on the Droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    I actually like the double tap WAY better than pinch-to-zoom. It works fantastic on the Droid. There are pinch-to-zoom browsers in the market (see: Dolphin web browser), but I see no problem with the double tap.

In fact, even if the default browser had pinch-to-zoom, I rather use the double tap.
    Dolphin browser is MUCH better. It has a better pinch-to-zoom implementation (possibly better than the Pre's?) and it even has advanced (and customizable) gestures.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/16/2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    anyway my point of view comes from Maemo and the n810, as well as a WM omina, as i have said before, the pre feels more polished and easier to use then both, and has more robust PDA functions by far ,than the maemo platform.

just thought i should correct myself.
    I'm not familiar with Maemo... but it must have been a horrible PDA if you feel the Pre "has more robust PDA functions by far".

It certainly is not more robust than Windows Mobile.
  6. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    The Droid's screen is pretty big, I dunno what Droid you've been looking at. And yes, Windows Mobile is plenty intuitive, sorry if you disagree, but I guess that's the thing about opinions eh? About cardview, all it is is a screen waste, and you can't use enough cards to make it any "better" than Android's 6 task view. The only thing that makes it "better"(read prettier) is that it kind of shows you whats on each card. That's it. I don't need that, I know what my apps look like, I also don't need it for the browser on Android, because multiple instances run in the same window, and the browser has it's own switcher. Having multiple browser instances on the Pre is one of the most unintuitive things they could have ever done, they should have gone with tabs in a single browser window, but they screwed the pooch there too.

With cardview, you can't do this:

Which is far more intuitive and promotes ease of use and functionality right in the foreground. When WebOS can do something like this, where you don't have to open an app every time you want to check the weather or go to a menu every time you want to turn your WiFi or GPS on or off, then I'll agree with you that it's intuitive.
    You're right....with card view you can do better!

Not sure you were aware of a webOS app called Active Card. It places mucho info on one card (as opposed to three screens) with one tap access to all of it. No scrolling from screen to screen to get info. THAT's pretty intuitive!

wkj
    Last edited by wkj; 12/16/2009 at 06:08 PM.
    I was. It's nice. But no where near as robust and customizable as the homescreens on Android (without any homebrew, etc.).

It's one screen that imitates a homescreen by using a card.

Odd that an adoring user of the Pre (and webOS) takes umbrage with scrolling from side to side....
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    You're right....with card view you can do better!

Not sure you were aware of a webOS app called Active Card. It places mucho info on one card (as opposed to three screens) with one tap access to all of it. No scrolling from screen to screen to get info. THAT's pretty intuitive!

wkj
    I purchased ActiveCard, I was one of the first to buy it. It's a novelty at best, as you still have to manually launch the app to even utilize it. Widgets make so much more sense. It is also much more limited than my Droid is, from a "what's at my fingertips" perspective. So much more I can do with a stock, vanilla Android.
  9. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I was. It's nice. But no where near as robust and customizable as the homescreens on Android (without any homebrew, etc.).

It's one screen that imitates a homescreen by using a card.

Odd that an adoring user of the Pre (and webOS) takes umbrage with scrolling from side to side....
    LOL........I am far from an "adoring user" of the Pre or webOS. It's my current phone ('til I get bored with it). My next phone will probably be an Android something or other......and yes, I'll probably opt for a vanilla version.

wkj
  10. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I purchased ActiveCard, I was one of the first to buy it. It's a novelty at best, as you still have to manually launch the app to even utilize it. Widgets make so much more sense. It is also much more limited than my Droid is, from a "what's at my fingertips" perspective. So much more I can do with a stock, vanilla Android.
    ---------playing devil's advocate -------------

Why launch to utilize? Leave it open and full.

1. Turn on your screen.
    2. Check your info or whatever you want to do from that card.
    3. Turn off your screen.

I've played with my wifes widgets (pun intended) on her Hero and it was like using SPB Mobile shell on WinMo. HTC's widgets are HUGE btw...I can understand why you need seven screens!

Oh.....those screenshots you posted are stock Android? Every Droid video review, unboxing, etc.. I've seen of 2.0 looked nothing like that. That little strip of apps on the bottom is a stock widget? Looks like an HTC thing.

--------done palying devils advocate----------------

The Droid looks like a nice device and I'm seriously glad you like it. It's a great thing when you find a phone you truly enjoy.

wkj
    ---------playing devil's advocate -------------

Why launch to utilize? Leave it open and full.

1. Turn on your screen.
    2. Check your info or whatever you want to do from that card.
    3. Turn off your screen.

I've played with my wifes widgets (pun intended) on her Hero and it was like using SPB Mobile shell on WinMo. HTC's widgets are HUGE btw...I can understand why you need seven screens!

Oh.....those screenshots you posted are stock Android? Every Droid video review, unboxing, etc.. I've seen of 2.0 looked nothing like that. That little strip of apps on the bottom is a stock widget? Looks like an HTC thing.

--------done palying devils advocate----------------

The Droid looks like a nice device and I'm seriously glad you like it. It's a great thing when you find a phone you truly enjoy.

wkj
    No, my setup is using Home++ homescreen replacement, but vanilla Android allows widgets just like I have setup, so that's nothing new. The Home++ replacement allows for between 3 and 7 home screens, I've currently got it set up for 3, don't need more than that to do everything I need. Home++ adds a little bit of functionality over the standard home screen, but only if you scroll over the bottom row of icons. I mainly use it because it looks a little nicer. I use Beautiful Widgets(which just got ordered to C&D ) for my clock/weather and power options, and the Google search widget is stock.
    The 7 homescreens are standard on the Hero with SenseUI.
    As are the "Beautiful Widgets" he is using. Beautiful Widgets was inspired by the Hero's widgets and SenseUI.
  13. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    No, my setup is using Home++ homescreen replacement, but vanilla Android allows widgets just like I have setup, so that's nothing new. The Home++ replacement allows for between 3 and 7 home screens, I've currently got it set up for 3, don't need more than that to do everything I need. Home++ adds a little bit of functionality over the standard home screen, but only if you scroll over the bottom row of icons. I mainly use it because it looks a little nicer. I use Beautiful Widgets(which just got ordered to C&D ) for my clock/weather and power options, and the Google search widget is stock.
    So everything (except the search widget) you presented to us previously as being superior to webOS is really nothing more than enhancements to Android that you download from the app store.

Bummer.

wkj
    Yeah...like patches and homebrew. Who would be crazy enough to tout functionality that wasn't part of a stock build?
    Now, now, children...let's simmer down. You're both pretty.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Now, now, children...let's simmer down. You're both petty.

I fixed it for you
  17. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpre View Post
    I fixed it for you
    "Petty..hmmmm..I better look that one up with my dictionary widget"

(Pulls out Android phone)

"OK, let's see, three screens to the right....no....left? DAMMIT!"

wkj
    So everything (except the search widget) you presented to us previously as being superior to webOS is really nothing more than enhancements to Android that you download from the app store.

Bummer.

wkj
    No. They are standard on the Sprint HTC Hero.
    "Petty..hmmmm..I better look that one up with my dictionary widget"

(Pulls out Android phone)

"OK, let's see, three screens to the right....no....left? DAMMIT!"

wkj
    (Pulls out Pre phone)

"OK, let's see, three cards to the right....no....left? DAMMIT!"
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    (Pulls out Pre phone)

"OK, let's see, three cards to the right....no....left? DAMMIT!"
    you could go in any direction ,left or right , if you had the wrap pages patch heh lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast