Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have to disagree. My pre felt really inferior next to a moment. Also, when the g1 launched it was googles first phone, so everyone knew it would be bumpy. Palm, has been in the phone game for a very long time, and I think us past palm owners, simply expected more from them. Someone said earlier the pre is a great pda, it's not. I dont consider my pre a pda, it's to limited in actual os functionality to be a pda. And palm is becoming a really big let down for alot of us.

Just simply ask yourself one thing. How great of a phone would the pre still be to you, without the patches and homebrews? I mean, if you think palm is doing a great job so far, webdoctor your pre, and just go stock for a week, then tell me how good they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    So by that logic every new mobile OS version should be given 3 years to catch up to the iPhone?

Or competitors of any new technology/innovation by specific company are given some type of "grace period" to "catch up".

Sorry, the technology marketplace just doesn't work like that. Not to mention that society as a whole does not offer companies (in any market segment) a "grace period" to catch up to it's competitors.
    If you afford android a year or so from the g1 till now to offer features and apps, you could reasonably expect a newer os to take the same amount of time to get up to speed. If you can't see that as reasonable, you probally should stick with established operating systems.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Nice way around the system...I'd prefer the ease of not having to download apps for services I get at a great price though.

The Android operating system rules the market as far as customization is concerned. But the only benefit the Droid has over other Android devices is the 2.0. Once that hits on Sprints Android devices...there will be no question as to what the better device is. HTC basically rules as far as Android is concerned. I have the HTC Hero...which you can equate to the Droid Eris on Verizon...both of which are better devices than the Moto Droid for the simple fact that HTC has implemented its own enhancements. And if I dont want Sense...I can turn it off. So basically I can do everything the Droid does...and more. I'm not turned on by a keyboard...the screen works just fine.
    I played with the Hero a lot before jumping to the Droid. The biggest let down for me was the speed. The interface was nice and I do agree, HTC has done some nice eye catching / intuitive tweaks there, but speed wise, there's no comparison. The Droid,even with a lot of apps/services running, is usually very responsive. That's not to say it can't get laggy, but it's not common at all. The Hero like Eris, seriously gets bogged down after a while. Also it's hard to go back to a lower res screen after looking at a screen like that on the Droid.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    First 30 days I had it were the first month it was out, and I had it for 6 months after that, still hanging on to that promise that it'd get better, still hoping the next update would at least put it on par with Android. It never came, and I went through 7 phones with hardware issues during this time period. How could I have predicted, in the first 30 days this product was out, that it'd flop so badly? If anything, it should have been the most solid product Palm has EVER released, and that's what I expected from the hardware side of things, because of how poorly they were doing, but found that instead it was a colossal piece of crap.
    Trust me...I am starting to feel the same way!
  5. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    I have to disagree. My pre felt really inferior next to a moment. Also, when the g1 launched it was googles first phone, so everyone knew it would be bumpy. Palm, has been in the phone game for a very long time, and I think us past palm owners, simply expected more from them. Someone said earlier the pre is a great pda, it's not. I dont consider my pre a pda, it's to limited in actual os functionality to be a pda. And palm is becoming a really big let down for alot of us.

Just simply ask yourself one thing. How great of a phone would the pre still be to you, without the patches and homebrews? I mean, if you think palm is doing a great job so far, webdoctor your pre, and just go stock for a week, then tell me how good they are doing.
    To be fair, yes Palm has been in the phone business a long time, but webOS is a whole new ballgame for Palm and I would equate it to Androids first release. Bumps are going to come with any new OS. Imagine if Microsoft rebuilt Win Mobile from the ground up....LOL! Furthermore, Palm owners have been expecting more from Palm for a very, very long time (how long did Palm OS go without an update?).

How is the Pre (for you) not a PDA and what functionality are you missing? As far as PIM functionality, it's all there.....the same as the old OS.......contacts, calendar, task and memos. The only thing I see missing is an Agenda view in stock. Hell, Android doesn't even come with a task or memos app built in...that, in my book, makes the Pre more of a PDA than Android. Lastly, how many email apps are needed to access several types of accounts in Android? My wifes Hero has two that I've noticed and the Moment (could be wrong here) has three!

Finally, if you are going to inquire about a stock webOS experience, I would think you need to compare that with a vanilla version of Android experience.

Then see how well Palm is doing.

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    To be fair, yes Palm has been in the phone business a long time, but webOS is a whole new ballgame for Palm and I would equate it to Androids first release. Bumps are going to come with any new OS. Imagine if Microsoft rebuilt Win Mobile from the ground up....LOL! Furthermore, Palm owners have been expecting more from Palm for a very, very long time (how long did Palm OS go without an update?).

How is the Pre (for you) not a PDA and what functionality are you missing? As far as PIM functionality, it's all there.....the same as the old OS.......contacts, calendar, task and memos. The only thing I see missing is an Agenda view in stock. Hell, Android doesn't even come with a task or memos app built in...that, in my book, makes the Pre more of a PDA than Android. Lastly, how many email apps are needed to access several types of accounts in Android? My wifes Hero has two that I've noticed and the Moment (could be wrong here) has three!

Finally, if you are going to inquire about a stock webOS experience, I would think you need to compare that with a vanilla version of Android experience.

Then see how well Palm is doing.

wkj
    The Droid runs vanilla Android, and it's far superior to the Pre, in every regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by boyo3221 View Post
    He did say he LOVES the prices on Sprint and said he might switch if his GF will let him.
    Sounds like someone is whipped.

(I couldn't resist; I just can't fathom someone needing their GF's permission to switch phones)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    If you afford android a year or so from the g1 till now to offer features and apps, you could reasonably expect a newer os to take the same amount of time to get up to speed. If you can't see that as reasonable, you probally should stick with established operating systems.
    If you're trying to compare new os to new os, that's reasonable. If you're evaluating products available to suit out needs, NOW, then looking into the past is not reasonable.

The latter is what "the fat middle" is likely to do.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The Droid runs vanilla Android, and it's far superior to the Pre, in every regard.
    In EVERY regard? The thread title and many of us would strongly disagree.

WebOS is smooth where the Droid's os is clunky.
    The PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $smooth$ $where$ $the$ $Droid$'$s$ $exterior$ $is$ $clunky$.
  10. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I eat chocolate ice cream, and it's far superior to vanilla, in every regard

My last comment related to redninja's statement that Palm hasn't been doing very well with webOS. I think Palm has done very well so far in the short time since they released webOS.

I'm glad your Droid meets your needs (what version OS?.....1.5, 1.6, 2.0,2.1.......I can't keep devices and OS versions straight...silly, superior, Android).

The Pre meets my needs and that's all that matters to me.

Now, I think I'll take the $30 to $40 dollars I saved this month with Sprint and treat my family to dinner and ice cream! (Chocolate of course.)

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    In EVERY regard? The thread title and many of us would strongly disagree.

WebOS is smooth where the Droid's os is clunky.
    The PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $smooth$ $where$ $the$ $Droid$'$s$ $exterior$ $is$ $clunky$.
    WebOS is far from smooth LOL, it's downright choppy, it's limited severely by an obvious memory hole, and doesn't manage memory well to begin with. It doesn't even use the GPU, detracting even more from any "smoothness" argument. Android is incredibly smooth, it's obvious you haven't spent much time with it. Even my mom's Droid Eris with the 528mhz Qualcomm chip is smoother than the Pre. Every aspect of the OS just makes sense. WebOS is a 1 trick pony, card view, which, while an interesting take on multitasking, really only does one thing. Removes the ability to have an actual desktop. No widgets, only 5 icons in the launcher bar, no added functionality. WebOS is minimalist, at best, which is not for everyone. Android 2.0, and likely 2.1, will easily change the way you think about Android, if you spend any serious amount of time with it. I used to be a naysayer, Android wasn't for me, the whole 9 yards, loved WebOS(still think it has some promise, but it's got so many obstacles right now...) Now that I have an Android phone, it's really opened my eyes to how great this platform is.
    I eat chocolate ice cream, and it's far superior to vanilla, in every regard

My last comment related to redninja's statement that Palm hasn't been doing very well with webOS. I think Palm has done very well so far in the short time since they released webOS.

I'm glad your Droid meets your needs (what version OS?.....1.5, 1.6, 2.0,2.1.......I can't keep devices and OS versions straight...silly, superior, Android).

The Pre meets my needs and that's all that matters to me.

Now, I think I'll take the $30 to $40 dollars I saved this month with Sprint and treat my family to dinner and ice cream! (Chocolate of course.)

wkj
    The Pre met my needs, but it did not exceed, it only JUST met them. Android exceeds my needs, to the point that it meets my wants as well as my needs. WebOS should not have launched when it did, it's obvious now that it was not ready, and still isn't ready.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    wtfreak?
    My sentiments, exactly....
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    WebOS is far from smooth LOL, it's downright choppy, it's limited severely by an obvious memory hole, and doesn't manage memory well to begin with. It doesn't even use the GPU, detracting even more from any "smoothness" argument. Android is incredibly smooth, it's obvious you haven't spent much time with it. Even my mom's Droid Eris with the 528mhz Qualcomm chip is smoother than the Pre. Every aspect of the OS just makes sense. WebOS is a 1 trick pony, card view, which, while an interesting take on multitasking, really only does one thing. Removes the ability to have an actual desktop. No widgets, only 5 icons in the launcher bar, no added functionality. WebOS is minimalist, at best, which is not for everyone. Android 2.0, and likely 2.1, will easily change the way you think about Android, if you spend any serious amount of time with it. I used to be a naysayer, Android wasn't for me, the whole 9 yards, loved WebOS(still think it has some promise, but it's got so many obstacles right now...) Now that I have an Android phone, it's really opened my eyes to how great this platform is.
    WebOS's ui is smooth and intuitive. Others agree. But I guess that means NONE of us have spent enough time with the Droid... Because, after all, we disagree with you.

And the Droid's physical form remains state-of-the-art... The art circa 1994.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    WebOS's ui is smooth and intuitive. Others agree. But I guess that means NONE of us have spent enough time with the Droid... Because, after all, we disagree with you.

And the Droid's physical form remains state-of-the-art... The art circa 1994.
    Show me something that looked like the Droid in 1994 then. I used WebOS all the way up to the current release, it's not smooth. The OS is barely intuitive, and no more so than Apple, Android, or even Windows Mobile. It doesn't do anything special besides cards, otherwise, it's a run of the mill smartphone OS, and the cards are just plain obtrusive(in other words, to the desktop, like I mentioned earlier).
  16. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    The Pre met my needs, but it did not exceed, it only JUST met them. Android exceeds my needs, to the point that it meets my wants as well as my needs. WebOS should not have launched when it did, it's obvious now that it was not ready, and still isn't ready.
    I understand finding something that meets both your wants and needs and that's awesome. Technology moves so fast today that peoples needs and wants can change from week to week, or from phone to phone. There will always be something better around the corner.

My intentions are not to bash Android or any OS for that matter, but comparing a year + old OS to one that's been available for only 6 months seems kind of unfair. I'm sure Android wasn't ready for release when it was released.....was there ever a perfect OS released from day one?

wkj
    I understand finding something that meets both your wants and needs and that's awesome. Technology moves so fast today that peoples needs and wants can change from week to week, or from phone to phone. There will always be something better around the corner.

My intentions are not to bash Android or any OS for that matter, but comparing a year + old OS to one that's been available for only 6 months seems kind of unfair. I'm sure Android wasn't ready for release when it was released.....was there ever a perfect OS released from day one?

wkj
    I can say this, Android at 6 months was much further along and more robust than WebOS at 6 months.
    Show me something that looked like the Droid in 1994 then. I used WebOS all the way up to the current release, it's not smooth. The OS is barely intuitive, and no more so than Apple, Android, or even Windows Mobile. It doesn't do anything special besides cards, otherwise, it's a run of the mill smartphone OS, and the cards are just plain obtrusive(in other words, to the desktop, like I mentioned earlier).
    ok i get that you had a terrible experience with the pre and webOS i get that, and i don't question it.

your entitled to your opinion but, WinMo, intuitive, seriously? you completely lost me there

I personally love the cards, UI is paramount when you deal with screen sizes generally smaller than a credit card, including the droid.

For me, the UI of webOS has no equal at present.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    ok i get that you had a terrible experience with the pre and webOS i get that, and i don't question it.

your entitled to your opinion but, WinMo, intuitive, seriously? you completely lost me there

I personally love the cards, UI is paramount when you deal with screen sizes generally smaller than a credit card, including the droid.

Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

The Droid's screen is pretty big, I dunno what Droid you've been looking at. And yes, Windows Mobile is plenty intuitive, sorry if you disagree, but I guess that's the thing about opinions eh? About cardview, all it is is a screen waste, and you can't use enough cards to make it any "better" than Android's 6 task view. The only thing that makes it "better"(read prettier) is that it kind of shows you whats on each card. That's it. I don't need that, I know what my apps look like, I also don't need it for the browser on Android, because multiple instances run in the same window, and the browser has it's own switcher. Having multiple browser instances on the Pre is one of the most unintuitive things they could have ever done, they should have gone with tabs in a single browser window, but they screwed the pooch there too.

With cardview, you can't do this:

Which is far more intuitive and promotes ease of use and functionality right in the foreground. When WebOS can do something like this, where you don't have to open an app every time you want to check the weather or go to a menu every time you want to turn your WiFi or GPS on or off, then I'll agree with you that it's intuitive.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast