Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    +1 wind! Haha...

I'm getting a kick out of these two bashing the pre

I hands down love my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Because he owns a Pre? I didn't see anywhere that said this was a Pre Fansite, last I checked it was a discussion forum.
    you may have noticed im not a defender of any particular platform. youve seen my posts talking good things about Android.

this person has less than a dozen posts, all negative, looking for people to join the negativity.

that's not discussion. that's just slamming.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    In concept, webos may be "better", but in practice, no. There is nothing webos can do android can't, but there are tons of things android can do webos can't. You can't sell phones on promise.
    Not really true. It took Android over a year to get to the point that it is at now and it has powerhouse google pushing R&D for it.

WebOS is better in practice in some areas and Android is better in others.

I am not one to say give Palm time, cause in reality, they should have known better. It is missing some things, but it is very functional the way it is and the interface is simple to navigate through.

In regards to the Droid, it seems like a nice device, but it will have its shortcomings as well.

Oh and you can sell phones on a promise. Isn't that how Android started with the G1?
    lol
    he knows that. He just dosent have the patience to give webos the same.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    Personally I love everything about the Droid except the keyboard and the fact you can't get it on Sprint. They keyboard truly is a joke, I can't believe they screwed it up that bad. I love the form factor, screen size, and the general feel of it. Compared to the Pre it is so much more solid, particularly the slider.
    I do agree that the Droid keyboard is horrendous. This is a classic example of Motorola/Verizon not having design sense/taste (which has been more obvious on their past devices). In addition to the "meh" feel, the presence of blank/unused keyspaces on the bottom row in combination with the stubby space bar, is a sign that someone didn't care enough to optimize the US/English keyboard. Nope, gotta gimp the US phone so the generic world-keyboard template can be used. God forbid they ditch the two blanks and widen up the spacebar. Idiocy like this is what makes strong arguments for software touchscreen keyboards.
    I think I've figured out why I don't hate the keyboard... I've got a newer revision phone than when they were originally released. The newer revisions have slightly bulged keys, as seen here:

Flat

Raised
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I do agree that the Droid keyboard is horrendous. This is a classic example of Motorola/Verizon not having design sense/taste (which has been more obvious on their past devices). In addition to the "meh" feel, the presence of blank/unused keyspaces on the bottom row in combination with the stubby space bar, is a sign that someone didn't care enough to optimize the US/English keyboard. Nope, gotta gimp the US phone so the generic world-keyboard template can be used. God forbid they ditch the two blanks and widen up the spacebar. Idiocy like this is what makes strong arguments for software touchscreen keyboards.
    The touchscreen keyboard is quite excellent to be fair, and it picks up quite well on typos, and usually puts the correct word in. I'm a fan, though I also use the slideout keyboard quite a lot.

About the unused keys, that's just being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky. Not to mention being quite obtuse. You're going out of the way to find a flaw that really isn't one.
    I think I've figured out why I don't hate the keyboard... I've got a newer revision phone than when they were originally released. The newer revisions have slightly bulged keys, as seen here:

Flat

Raised
    Interesting. I played with the Droid in store and was put off by the keyboard.
    I wonder how much of a difference this makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Interesting. I played with the Droid in store and was put off by the keyboard.
    I wonder how much of a difference this makes.
    One thing I think it allows me to do is use multiple buttons while playing my NES and SNES games Like running and jumping in Mario, that sort of thing, something that'd be hard to do on a completely flat keyboard.
    The touchscreen keyboard is quite excellent to be fair, and it picks up quite well on typos, and usually puts the correct word in. I'm a fan, though I also use the slideout keyboard quite a lot.

About the unused keys, that's just being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky. Not to mention being quite obtuse. You're going out of the way to find a flaw that really isn't one.
    I agree. Almost hypocritical, considering the Pre has extra space at each side of the bottom row of keys...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    he knows that. He just dosent have the patience to give webos the same.
    So by that logic every new mobile OS version should be given 3 years to catch up to the iPhone?

Or competitors of any new technology/innovation by specific company are given some type of "grace period" to "catch up".

Sorry, the technology marketplace just doesn't work like that. Not to mention that society as a whole does not offer companies (in any market segment) a "grace period" to catch up to it's competitors.
    I have heard several people tell me, after playing with my Droid, that the keyboard on the Droid model in stores absolutely sucks. One person told me they were testing it out, and as soon as they tried they keyboard, they put it down. However, they said after seeing my phone and using the keyboard, they are thinking about going back to the store and buying one.

They keyboard could be better, but I am not finding it that bad at all. I just sent 3 e-mails from my phone, one of which was fairly lengthy, and I had no mistakes. As long as I can do that, I am satisfied.
    the biggest complaint i have about the Droid keyboard is the long reach for my right thumb. i dont have particularly large hands so it's a bit of a stretch. otherwise, it's fine, especially with the revised design.

oh, and im not a fan of horizontal sliders, but that is nothing more than personal preference.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I agree. Almost hypocritical, considering the Pre has extra space at each side of the bottom row of keys...
    I don't like the Pre's keyboard either, and not because of the layout in that case.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Nah, to me this is a clear case where they could not be bothered to make it better in an obvious way. You'd never find that sort of garbage on an Apple product, because someone there (SJ) calls BS when he sees it. This is one step removed from buying a cheap car and having blanks all over the dashboard where the optional equipment goes.
    there are other android phones besides the droid...the HTC phone is awesome...if the pre doesnt get better soon I will be tossing it for sure. Thought it would be awesome...its just ok at best...app store sucks (yes homebrew is cool, but shouldn't be necessary).
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    android cannot run the palmOS legacy apps I am required to have.

for me that is a real sticking point.

I tried maemo on a n810, (because it CAN run the legacy apps of palmOS) but that was a true beta experiance, unlike the pre.
    And what palm os apps don't have an iphone or android equivalent? How much have you searched? I don't see that as an excuse to be a palm beta tester

I was thinking about about this today Elysian,

and i wanted to correct myself, the app catalog is most certainly still beta, and, it wasn't until recently that some of the other built in apps were moved into 1.0 versions. which dosn't really bother me at all, but I can imagine that it bothers some. when it does come out of beta, i would expect that it is at the same stage as android was when it came out of it's beta

as for the device in total, i feel that right now it is certainly a full featured, non beta device.

and, even at release, the pre was not a beta device, it had beta programs, I don't know where that puts it, maybe somewhere along with many of googles perpetual beta applications like gmail or chrome?

anyway my point of view comes from Maemo and the n810, as well as a WM omina, as i have said before, the pre feels more polished and easier to use then both, and has more robust PDA functions by far ,than the maemo platform.

just thought i should correct myself.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    played with the droid at the verizon store on 2 separate occasions. My takeaways:

1. The real keyboard is awful.. The buttons suck and even worse the keyboard is off center bc of the rocker to the right of the kb so holiding while typing sucks.

2. The user interface is not as intuitive as that of webos (or even the iphone).

3. The screen is considerably sharper than that of any phone I've seen (def better than any blackberry, my pre, and any iphone I've used). It was a lot easier on my eyes and the big size was just great

4. Browsing the web is almost as painful as using the keyboard. The lack of multitouch sucks but I also found the snap to column and overall speed of the browser to be slower than the webos/iphone webkit browsers
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoeii View Post
    4. Browsing the web is almost as painful as using the keyboard. The lack of multitouch sucks but I also found the snap to column and overall speed of the browser to be slower than the webos/iphone webkit browsers
    I actually like the double tap WAY better than pinch-to-zoom. It works fantastic on the Droid. There are pinch-to-zoom browsers in the market (see: Dolphin web browser), but I see no problem with the double tap.

In fact, even if the default browser had pinch-to-zoom, I rather use the double tap.
    Global Posts
    2,477 Global Posts
    Spoken like someone who's not spent any significant amount of time with the Droid.

Easily remedied,you can modify a LOT on the Droid, without having to root it. The Home++ Home Screen replacement is free, and is incredibly functional and customizable. Here's my Droidtop:

(the 6 white icons on the bottom scroll from left to right, giving even more functionality, including a task killer)

The phone also doesn't suffer like the Pre with "Sorry too many cards" BS. I have apps running in the background all the time, switching to them is easy, and they don't consume extra cpu when they aren't in focus. Palm has a long way to go on that front

Sense UI is ok, but it's not for everyone. My mom has the Droid Eris(got it on the BOGO deal when I bought my Droid), and it's nice, but nowhere near as fast or customizable out of the box as the Droid. Home++ with some widgets has made me not even think about Sense UI, it doesn't compare.

Definitely biased. The keyboard on the Droid isn't the best thing ever, but spend more than a day typing on it, and you're used to it already. I don't use the on-screen keyboard all that much anymore, though I do like its predictive text and corrections. Like I mentioned earlier, Home++ makes navigation to apps easy, and the multitasking implementation(hold the home key down) is great. I can do more to customize my Droid thus far without having to deal with Preware or WebOS Quick Install, it's very easy to modify. Also, my plan is only 10 more than it was on Sprint, and while I don't have texting, I do have texting, because I'm fully integrated with Google Voice, it handles literally all of my texting on the phone, because Android lets you set default apps for almost everything. 100% free texting. I also have an app called SIPDroid, which provides VOIP capabilities, so combining my GV account and my Sipgate account, I have 100% unlimited calling, on WiFi or 3G, for $80 a month. Beat that on the Pre, I don't think you can.
    Nice way around the system...I'd prefer the ease of not having to download apps for services I get at a great price though.

The Android operating system rules the market as far as customization is concerned. But the only benefit the Droid has over other Android devices is the 2.0. Once that hits on Sprints Android devices...there will be no question as to what the better device is. HTC basically rules as far as Android is concerned. I have the HTC Hero...which you can equate to the Droid Eris on Verizon...both of which are better devices than the Moto Droid for the simple fact that HTC has implemented its own enhancements. And if I dont want Sense...I can turn it off. So basically I can do everything the Droid does...and more. I'm not turned on by a keyboard...the screen works just fine.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast