Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, this is my first thread

Im seriously considerig buying a Palm Pre in a few days.

I currently use an HTC Diamond, which is a pretty good phone. But after almost 2 years using it Im a bit tired of Windows Mobile. Also had 2 main issues, one being the touch-screen, which I never found very spiring, and battery life, which is horrible.

At first I thought about the iphone, but for some reason, I never got to like that phone all that much. Nothing personal against Apple, I have a macbook, an ipod, an appletv and a time capsule at home. But the iphone... I dont know, maybe you see too many these days, or maybe is the size, or the UI, or the non-multitask, or everything

But I was very closed to buying it, since it does most of the staff I need quite well (multimedia, internet)

Then I came across the Palm. Read a few reviews (including the one at precentral, awesome review by the way) and watched some videos, and I thought I had found the perfect phone for me (except for lacking video recording, all though I can live with that).

Wonderfull UI, Multi-tasking, great touch-screen, great browsing experience...

But Ive done some research though the forum, and I found that it also has some issues. Battery life, bugs (read the whole "too many apps open problem with last update" thread), screen that turns on by itself, hardware problems...

So now Im getting a bit dissapointed, and I hate it, because I really was liking this phone. All the reviews I read where based on webOS 1.0, and all reviews said it worked like a charm for a first release, but I see a lot of people having problems with 1.31.

Is it really that bad?... Is it going to be like with my Diamond, which made me spend lots of hours changing ROMs and installing cabs to improve things?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it, I hope you can get an idea of what Im really asking... Sorry it took me so many words to explain myself, english is not my native language, as Im sure you have noticed
    Well, I'll just say, speaking for myself, I have this phone and I really like it. I haven't had any experience with bugs (except I can't receive mms, but that was a problem with my carrier.) A lot of people don't like the lack of apps, but for me that isn't an issue personally.
    The battery life does drain quite quickly, but I text a LOT, and it lasts me the entire day, so it's fine. Sometimes the touch screen isn't as responsive to my taps, but again, that's not a huge issue for me.
    I think I'm just a lot more tolerant to this phone than a lot of other users lol.

Overall, I REALLY like it. It's a big step up from the phone I came from I'm not a fan of the iphone either, so this seemed like the next best thing.
    People that are having issues to come to post them and look for help or complain... people that have a perfectly working phone dont come on and post about how their phone works perfectly and they have no issues, they have better things to do.

Chances are you are going to get a perfectly fine one and will be happy with it and like the majority of of us you will not come on here and post about how it works like it should.
    I just ported my number (today) from AT&T and ditched my iPhone. Have been giving the Pre a try for the last 10 days. No regrets at all. This phone is leaps and bounds ahead of the iPhone. Try it for yourself for a few days. You will be amazed at how great the OS is. For me, the only thing missing is being unable to listen to voicemail attachments in an email. I am willing to give that up and stay with the Pre. I hope the next update will fix this issue.
    I also had a Diamond. I liked it a lot. Unfortunately, the battery life of the Diamond seems about the same as the Pre. However, the Pre EASILY beats the Diamond everywhere else, i.e. Great UI, faster and better web browsing, more stable than Windows Mobile, bigger screen, easier to use, easier to type, more fun, etc.

I haven't missed my Diamond for a second.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Maybe I can help.

The Pre is an exceptional phone, but like all phones, it is not perfect.

The Pre offers a balance of smartphone with ease of use. There is a slight learning curve, but once you learn it, you will find yourself doing gestures on every phone you touch

Battery life is more of a EVDO thing. The Pre uses less battery using Wifi, which to me seems odd, but I can get 2 days of use with wifi and EVDO off compared to 15 hours with it on. This is with 4 email accounts.
    1. Gmail set to as it arrives
    2. yahoo set to retrieve every hour
    3. exchange set to manual
    4. exchange set to as it arrives.

Bluetooth on as well.

The Pre experienced some hardware problems during launch, but most of those problems have been addressed. A new Pre should not be plague with those issues, however there are still isolated cases with problems

Palm has been updating the phone rapidly. I anticipate GPU access which should have a more fluid feel to navigating and free up some CPU processing.

WebOS in of itself is really unmatched by any OS. It brings you the most desktop like experience you will have on a phone. The cards mimic windows and are easy to toss away. Also, the Precentral family (including WebOS internalz) have done wonders for the Pre by adding patches, themes, and beta applications.

One thing you must understand is the WebOS is still fairly new and is not for everyone. Ideally, you may want to wait a month til it gets another update, but as it is, I think it is great.

If apps are your thing, then WebOS and the Pre are not for you right now. If you want a truly versatile smartphone with a desktop like experience, the WebOS is what you want.

Hope this helps

Later
    Until they fix the lag especially on the contacts and phone apps then I would never recommend this phone to a friend or fam. I use it as less as possible. It takes about 5-7 seconds to hang up the phone, 10 seconds to open contacts, it lags while scrolling through the recent calls. The only decent thing is the web browser but that also lags too.
    Keep in mind this happens 50% of the time for me, so I have a 50% chance of it working fine.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thanks for those answers guys

It seems like for the most people the phone works ok, all though everybodys got some sort of problem

But I never imagined from the reviews I read that the phone had lag problems, always got the impression webOS was easier to move (faster) than any other OS... Specially if these lag problems come with contacts scrolling, which is one of the main uses of a phone... Also never suspected it would have lag problems with the browser, based on what I read.

Im still liking the phone a lot, but Im afraid I could get one "deffective" unit. Plus here in Spain my phone company may still be delivering the first devices that came out.

By the way, what is this EVDO thing, is it what we call here 3G?... If so, can it be turned off as desired?... I dont need this to be on all the time, I can get my mail through GPRS or EDGE, and turn 3G only if I want to navigate outdoors. This could save some battery too.

Also, would like to know a couple of things:

- Does it have a Favourite Contact List?... I know it didnt bring it initially, but maybe somebody made an app for this. This is important for me, I dont think i would like typing a name to search a contact

- How well does the on screen keyboard patch work?... Is it responsive, does it integrate well with the rest of interface? Does it work with all aplications? (universal search, browser, etc)

Still thinking about it. But I think I might go get it tomorrow, I cant live with my Diamond much longer (it goes off by it self every half hour or so and I have to remove the battery to be able to turn it back on)... And Im really tired of changing ROMs, I swore last ROM I changed would be the last

Im not much into apps, but will always keep an eye see what keeps coming out, Im sure people are developing interesting staff

Again, thanks a lot for the time and patience
    Demo the phone at your local store, and also see if they offer a 30day money back deal because that may be the only way to know.

I had my Palm Pre Homebrewed once but I WebOS-doctored it back to factory thinking that it would make my free less lag free, in which case it didn't.

My buddy however said his works great and he's the type of guy who knows nothing about homebrewing or purchasing apps.

Regarding EVDO, Sprint uses it but it switches to other lower data rates when EVDO is not available. There is an option for Sprint toggle this but its different for GSM I believe. Check out this link
    The palm pre is a phone that rushed out the door to save a failing company. Almost no testing was done with the phone and it was shipped with the promise that someday it would be the greatest thing around. They even marketed it as The Iphone Killer. Now Palm is supporting the phone with lackluster patches and promises that they have yet to keep. (flash support) It is very buggy and very lacking in the most common of features. I.E. text alerts, video support, favorite contacts and more. Web os is is very nice and does have potential. But its like having a great innovative web browser and no internet connection. Whats the point of the company wont support it to its full potential. Some people on here will tell you to buy one and wait because someday soon palm will make it better. But why should you shell your hard earned cash just to buy a phone that may someday be able to do what other more complete phones can do today. I would suggest that before you buy your pre. Take a good look at the htc hero, droid, moment, or Iphone, or even an lg rumor. All of these phones are more supported and will give you a more complete experiance that the pre.

And yes i currently have a Pre and it was the worst cell phone purchase i have ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugluv67 View Post
    The palm pre is a phone that rushed out the door to save a failing company.
    link?

Almost no testing was done with the phone
    link?
    and it was shipped with the promise that someday it would be the greatest thing around.
    link?
    They even marketed it as The Iphone Killer.
    link?

Now Palm is supporting the phone with lackluster patches and promises that they have yet to keep.
    so they ARE supporting it.

(flash support)
    talk to Adobe...no phone has full on flash.

It is very buggy
    no. it isn't. ever try a WM phone? BlackBerry?

and very lacking in the most common of features. I.E. text alerts, video support, favorite contacts and more.
    plenty of happy customers who knew of this before purchasing. sorry you were misinformed.

Web os is is very nice and does have potential. But its like having a great innovative web browser and no internet connection. Whats the point of the company wont support it to its full potential. Some people on here will tell you to buy one and wait because someday soon palm will make it better. But why should you shell your hard earned cash just to buy a phone that may someday be able to do what other more complete phones can do today. I would suggest that before you buy your pre. Take a good look at the htc hero, droid, moment, or Iphone, or even an lg rumor. All of these phones are more supported and will give you a more complete experiance that the pre.
    i dare you to browse other OS websites. the Android forums are ripe with complaints. the Droid needed an update days after release. the iPhone is no different to the Pre as far as it's birth state. there are three different versions of Android in the wild right now and that is a nightmare for support. the Hero will be getting an upgrade to 2.0 "in the first half of next year." wow, that's some killer support.

And yes i currently have a Pre and it was the worst cell phone purchase i have ever made.
    we all know you're unhappy with your purchase and that sucks. but at least be factual instead of completely opinionated when you are going off on a rant trying to persuade someone else to not buy the phone.

many times when im out and about and someone asks me about my Pre, i straight up tell them the good AND the bad about the phone and then follow up those facts with my opinion.
    you can speak for yourself but not "we all" because this "we all" loves his phone thank you, and your putting your opinions out for everyone which is wrong.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Have you had a hands on with the pre yet?...give it a shot and see how it fits into your life...pay more attention to your needs than the complainers...me personally I love the pre its the best phone I ever owned...
    Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    I have a macbook, an ipod, an appletv and a time capsule at home. But the iphone... I dont know, maybe you see too many these days, or maybe is the size, or the UI, or the non-multitask, or everything

But I was very closed to buying it, since it does most of the staff I need quite well (multimedia, internet)
    Sorry to be rude, but I don't believe you. According to you, you are deep into the Apple ecosystem, multimedia and internet are important to you, and it does most stuff well that is important to you. Yet, you think you want a Pre? There is no part of this that makes sense. You are either baiting an argument, or you have another reason you don't want an iPhone that you are not owning up to.

If you are really that torn, buy both and return the one you don't like.

By the way, what is this EVDO thing, is it what we call here 3G?... If so, can it be turned off as desired?... I dont need this to be on all the time, I can get my mail through GPRS or EDGE, and turn 3G only if I want to navigate outdoors. This could save some battery too.
    yes its the name for 3G for CDMA providers. and yes it could be turned off.

Also, would like to know a couple of things:

- Does it have a Favourite Contact List?... I know it didnt bring it initially, but maybe somebody made an app for this. This is important for me, I dont think i would like typing a name to search a contact
    kinda. you can put favorite contacts on the home screen and tap their name.

- How well does the on screen keyboard patch work?... Is it responsive, does it integrate well with the rest of interface? Does it work with all aplications? (universal search, browser, etc)
    it works very well but i dont remember if it's integrated into universal search, but it works with the browser.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Sorry to be rude, but I don't believe you. According to you, you are deep into the Apple ecosystem, multimedia and internet are important to you, and it does most stuff well that is important to you. Yet, you think you want a Pre? There is no part of this that makes sense. You are either baiting an argument, or you have another reason you don't want an iPhone that you are not owning up to.

If you are really that torn, buy both and return the one you don't like.
    Why would I lie to you?... What exactly is it that you dont beleive?... Do I have to like ALL Apple products?... I had all that Apple staff before, and still bought an HTC Diamond... Im not going to waste any more time explaining why I dont like the iphone... I appreciate your points of view regarding the PrPrPr, $and$ $I$$m$ $sorry$ $you$ $didn$$t$ $like$ $it$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $keep$ $the$ $rest$ $for$ $your$ $self$
    Why would I lie to you?... What exactly is it that you dont beleive?... Do I have to like ALL Apple products?... I had all that Apple staff before, and still bought an HTC Diamond... Im not going to waste any more time explaining why I dont like the iphone... I appreciate your points of view regarding the PrPrPr, $and$ $I$$m$ $sorry$ $you$ $didn$$t$ $like$ $it$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $keep$ $the$ $rest$ $for$ $your$ $self$
    i didnt quite understand why he said that either. i would love a MacBook Pro but i have no desire to own an iPhone...ever.
    You know full well that the Pre is not compatible with iTunes. You are heavily into the Apple universe. You also stated that multimedia is important to you. There is not much of a choice between the iPhone and the Pre. You also mentioned web browsing. There is no better browser than the iPhone. You also like the functions of the iPhone. I get all this from your post. Now if you had said you really text a lot and want a physical keyboard and a cheap plan, then game on. As you left it, though, I do not see why you would be considering the Pre.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I think Im buying it tomorrow morning, will see if they can let me try it for a couple of weeks at least

Still have some doubts:

- Regarding favorite contacts, nobody is done an app for this?... I might be missing the point, maybe is just not necessay with this phone, maybe is a different philosophy, but I have too many favourits to have them all in home screen or each one as an application

- Is video recording possible?... I read somewhere that it is now

- Is there a battery with higher capacity but without increasing the size of the phone?

- How well does the touchstone charge?... Same as a cable one?... Do I need the Touchstone back panel with this charger?

I think these are my last doubts, for now ... Sorry I had to ask so much, did a lot of reading, but would have done more if I could pause my babies now and then.

Thanks a lot for the help

I have a MacBook Pro, and love it.
    But none of this helps the OP with his/her question.

Let's move on, Okay.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast