Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I'm having some trouble deciding between the Zune HD or Archos 5 Android Internet Tablet. Could I get your opinions on which is better and pro/cons.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    I'm not familiar with the Archos 5, but do have a Zune HD and love it. The OLED quality if phenomenal. The UI is very fast and responsive. HD FM radio. Movies. Pictures. Zune Pass ($15 /mo. unlimited music downloads on up to 3 Zunes AND 3 computers). I like layout of the music player, graphics, and the ability to see pictures, bio, and related artists. When listening to the HD FM radio, if you like a song, you can add it to your cart to be downloaded. There are a handful of quality games, especially AudioSurf Tilt.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by donfly View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Archos 5, but do have a Zune HD and love it. The OLED quality if phenomenal. The UI is very fast and responsive. HD FM radio. Movies. Pictures. Zune Pass ($15 /mo. unlimited music downloads on up to 3 Zunes AND 3 computers). I like layout of the music player, graphics, and the ability to see pictures, bio, and related artists. When listening to the HD FM radio, if you like a song, you can add it to your cart to be downloaded. There are a handful of quality games, especially AudioSurf Tilt.
    What about the software that comes with the Zune? I've heard mixed reviews, mostly negative about it? Still no Divx for vid either??
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4. #4  
    im thinking of the same thing... just saw Archos and it is a great light media device and the screen is huuuge!!

    gotta admit though the touchscreen is not as responsive as the Zune's.

    I wish Palm came out with a device as big and light as the Archos tablet with WebOS on it!! I would buy that!!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What about the software that comes with the Zune? I've heard mixed reviews, mostly negative about it? Still no Divx for vid either??
    Zune Software is great, I use it at work instead of, well, anything else. I don't even bring my Zune to work, but I use the software constantly. Smart DJ is awesome(especially if you have Zune Pass), and it has plenty of other functionality.
  6. #6  
    IMO it still uses too much of the CPU, but it's still WAY AHEAD of iTunes!!

    Streaming, recommendations with full samples(if you have the Pass), better organization of artists, better interface, etc.

    About DivX support, don't expect open format support from MSFT, LOL! You have to accept that if you get the Zune. If you want DivX support, then you probably should use the Archos. Samsung's P3 and Cowon's S9 also do DivX, I believe. But if you're OK with no FLAC or OGG support and OK with just the more "commercial" video extensions(WMV, MP4 and the like), then you're good to go with the Zune.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #7  
    Apple makes you use Itunes.
    So I don't know why people keep BS'ing about using Zune's software. Stupid people on CNET gave Zune bad reviews because of that...
  8. hal3146's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have has an Archos 5 Android 32gb more or less from when it was available in the US.

    I think it depends on what you are looking for. If it is mainly music the Zune HD would be the way to go. The archos has decent sound quality from the headphone jack but it is not as good as that coming from my Cowon mp3 player. Mind you I do not know how you have your music ripped ot what kind of headphones you are using but overall the sound quality on the Archos is average. I had a Zune 30gb that sounded better then the archos.

    I have a Palm pre, one problem I have with it is the screen size. My eyes are not that good and if I zoom in to where I can easily read the screen I have to pan a lot. The Archos solved this problem with the 5" screen.

    The Archos is for someone who is not afraid to be an early adopter of technology. It is still a new device. The hardware is excellent, except the resistive touch screen. Nothing wrong with it but would have like to see capacitive. Archos is a small company and while there have been several firmware updates it is still a 1.0 device.

    I got the Archos for several reasons:

    - Wanted to try Android, without replacing my pre
    - Wanted device with a bigger screen for internet surfing, email, doc viewing, and navigation
    - I have a thing for small innovative tech companies tend to stay away from the mainstream devices
    - Expandable Memory
    - Long battery life
    - DVR Station, love the fact that with this I can record directly onto device and playback HD

    I will say that in the beginning I sort of regretted the purchase but now after updates to the Appstore (still not great) and the OS (unreliable wifi, frequent freezing) but now I do enjoy it. The nav software is $39 for US and Canada. People complain about it but I have no issue with it. It does what it is supposed to and no GPS software will ever always pick the best route. I bring mine in the car with me when I drive. That way I can use it for navigation and music and my Pre is available for calls.

    So I would say if music only Zune. Want an Android device that also acts as an MPS player go with the Archos.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post
    I have has an Archos 5 Android 32gb more or less from when it was available in the US.

    I think it depends on what you are looking for. If it is mainly music the Zune HD would be the way to go. The archos has decent sound quality from the headphone jack but it is not as good as that coming from my Cowon mp3 player. Mind you I do not know how you have your music ripped ot what kind of headphones you are using but overall the sound quality on the Archos is average. I had a Zune 30gb that sounded better then the archos.

    I have a Palm pre, one problem I have with it is the screen size. My eyes are not that good and if I zoom in to where I can easily read the screen I have to pan a lot. The Archos solved this problem with the 5" screen.

    The Archos is for someone who is not afraid to be an early adopter of technology. It is still a new device. The hardware is excellent, except the resistive touch screen. Nothing wrong with it but would have like to see capacitive. Archos is a small company and while there have been several firmware updates it is still a 1.0 device.

    I got the Archos for several reasons:

    - Wanted to try Android, without replacing my pre
    - Wanted device with a bigger screen for internet surfing, email, doc viewing, and navigation
    - I have a thing for small innovative tech companies tend to stay away from the mainstream devices
    - Expandable Memory
    - Long battery life
    - DVR Station, love the fact that with this I can record directly onto device and playback HD

    I will say that in the beginning I sort of regretted the purchase but now after updates to the Appstore (still not great) and the OS (unreliable wifi, frequent freezing) but now I do enjoy it. The nav software is $39 for US and Canada. People complain about it but I have no issue with it. It does what it is supposed to and no GPS software will ever always pick the best route. I bring mine in the car with me when I drive. That way I can use it for navigation and music and my Pre is available for calls.

    So I would say if music only Zune. Want an Android device that also acts as an MPS player go with the Archos.
    Zune HD's so much more than music though. App support, a powerful processor, it'll be able to do a lot, as long as the app support ramps up(which it should).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    IMO it still uses too much of the CPU, but it's still WAY AHEAD of iTunes!!

    Streaming, recommendations with full samples(if you have the Pass), better organization of artists, better interface, etc.

    About DivX support, don't expect open format support from MSFT, LOL! You have to accept that if you get the Zune. If you want DivX support, then you probably should use the Archos. Samsung's P3 and Cowon's S9 also do DivX, I believe. But if you're OK with no FLAC or OGG support and OK with just the more "commercial" video extensions(WMV, MP4 and the like), then you're good to go with the Zune.
    Hey Phone Diva... how are you enjoying this Chicago weather? I actually saw the Archos in a sales ad from MicroCenter (I believe). I found out about the Zune 3 weeks ago, fell in love with the UI, and bought it the following week..lol. Do you own one as well? I initially bought my Pre (still the same one from launch day) to be my music player. But as well as know, the battery life sucks.
  11. #11  
    If you get a zune, then watch out... your life will become consumed by space battle. Just trust me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions