1.    #1  
    Has anyone noticed how similar the hardware platform for the upcomming release of Palm OS5 is to the current Pocket PC 2002 platform?

Here is a little snipit from www.palmos.com regarding enhanced audio & video capabilities:

"Palm OS 5 incorporates a set of high-density APIs that double the screen resolution of a Palm Powered device from 160 x 160 pixels to 320x320 pixels. (These high-density APIs are compatible with software written for a 160 x 160 screen.) In addition to these video enhancements, audio capabilities have been improved with a new set of APIs for playing and recording 16-bit audio files. Licensees and developers can harness these new multimedia resources to further improve the video and audio solutions that exist on the Palm OS platform today, and to deliver the multimedia devices and applications of tomorrow."

Arm processors, high res screens, 16 bit audio........ sounds allot like the current PPC 2002 platform today. I also read a story online ( I believe on Cnet) that some hardware mfgs. are licensing both PPC and Palm OS. Could we see some multi-os capable devices? Wouldn't it be sweet to dual boot Palm OS5 and PPC 2002 on the same device?

Linux has already been ported to the PPC platform so you could essentially flash Linux to your Ipaq, right now if you wish.

For anyone interested Target is currently selling the Ipaq model 3765 (64mb ram, 32 mb rom) w/ PPC 2002 premium for $399 and Compaq is offering a $50.00 mail in rebate until May 25, 2002.
    Final price $349 about the cost of a monochrome M500.

I'm not ready to give up my Handspring Prism /Visorphone just yet but the difference in performance between the two devices is undeniably in favor of the Ipaq.

Maybe someone can make a Springboard sled for the PPC Platform since Handspring seems to have no use for it anymore

What do you guys think, will we see a flash Palm OS5 port similar to the current linux port for the Arm PPC 2002 platform?
    If someone doesn't make a device, someone will make an emulator.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    If someone doesn't make a device, someone will make an emulator.
    That's the beauty of it..........The devices will be running on practically the same hardware platform, so no emulator should be necessary.

Its like running Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP on the x86 platform. They are all different OS's but they will all run on the same hardware.