Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the "smart phone" space, many people are brainwashed in to thinking the iPhone is the best phone (or "god phone" as the ******* call it) and even though there other equally as good (or better) devices (Palm Pre, Storm 2, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, Moto DROID, etc.) the main thing people look at is the number of apps available. Apple has 100,000+, Blackberry 19,000+, Android 10,000+, Palm 670+) So WHY is Apple so far ahead of everyone else? Let's take a closer look. On the screenshot attached, you will see some very similar icons from Iguana Productions for their "TipTopTap" puzzle game. On the page below, there are 16 "copies" of this app each one being a different puzzle. There are also 6 Tip Calculators on this one page alone. Iguana Productions actually has over 30 of these TipTopTap puzzles in the catalog.

Why not build ONE app that loads different puzzles? One, to scam the blind Apple populace out of more $$, and Two, because this makes Apple very happy (the more apps the better!) Then if you take into account 1000's of "iFart" apps, and the many other dupes and you see why they are way out there. The "true" number is probably closer to RIM's 20,000+ when you take all that into account. RIM, Android, and Palm should get in the game and release streaming radio apps for each station in each city. Or an NFL team app for each team in the NFL (and NBA, MLB, etc) and then while they're at it, a stats app for each player on those teams. They could all catch Apple in no time! Below are more dupes a quick scan of the App Store revealed.

2000+ "Fans" Apps (Brighthouse labs)
    600+ Travel guides (by molinker)
    212+ Tip apps
    112+ Mafia games
    96+ Burp apps
    73+ Tour guide (by molinker)
    30+ TipTopTap apps (by Iguana Productions)
    10+ 'Poot' apps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if you look at the recent apps to hit the catalog ....lol you'll see that its already started gee wiz ha ha ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think they should allow all and any apps they can and build an enormous library to be competitive with Apple's or Rim's or Android's apps store... Show that you have a vast library that offers something for everyone and then the very good quality apps or big developers will also follow that I bet you can find in the apple app store if you think about it... adobe photo app, google earth, cnbc, bank of america, citrix, tomtom, beejive, etrade, shazam. apps by electronic arts, sega, namco, etc... oh my gosh the list goes on.

and you what, i bet palm is willing to take anyone that is willing to submit an app to them and would kill to have the number of companies that apple has wanting to develop for them. but you know what? it's not up to them... it's up to those same developers that make those apps you mention for the other platforms (not just apple even though you find it so easy to criticize them) to make it for the webos. and guess what... they're not doing it because they dont find the worth in it now and it has a chain effect that the bigger developers do not want to jump in until they see improvement (like Skype).

the reason why apple has a ton of apps and palm doesnt is because apple has a sorted out phone and a sorted out app store and a sorted out sdk that allow, invites, motivates developers to make stuff for their platform and makes it popular to those brainwashed buyers to go to a platform that has everything they need 'right now.' Palm needs to get their phone rocking as fast as possible. apple is not killing palm... palm is killing palm.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    RIM, Android, and Palm should get in the game and release streaming radio apps for each station in each city. Or an NFL team app for each team in the NFL (and NBA, MLB, etc) and then while they're at it, a stats app for each player on those teams. They could all catch Apple in no time!
    Last edited by donm527; 12/11/2009 at 08:03 PM.
    I dont own an iphone, but do have a 2nd gen itouch. Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to find the "decent" apps? Unless you know the name of the app your looking for, your gonna spend a while sifting through a ton of apps that are roughly the same thing.
    yes, it's very difficult to find.

you are stuck looking at the what's new and whats hot and the top apps at the time for different categories and will find a lot of good stuff but there are hidden gems that are just not in the top list anymore but are there if you are lucky to find when doing the search feature or word of mouth.

they definitely need a better way of finding apps.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I dont own an iphone, but do have a 2nd gen itouch. Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to find the "decent" apps? Unless you know the name of the app your looking for, your gonna spend a while sifting through a ton of apps that are roughly the same thing.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Yeah I'm sure the 600 apps in the Palm's store is comparable to the ones in the App store.
    maybe if its 20. But we didn't go to peanut butter warehouse...and don't want to sift through 3k types of store brand knock offs while looking for the jiffy...

don't get me wrong, palm apperantly is putting anything with peanuts in it down that isle right now...but I hope a better spotlight is on its way once we get 3-4k apps...
    So, your saying 80,000 apps are dupes and the same app with different names/idea slapped on?
    Sounds like sour grapes to me. Tell me, OP, is Palm turning away developers who want to submit duplicates within a category? Is Palm telling developers not to bother with fart apps? Is Palm doing anything to proactively offer a cleaner app catalogue than the competition? NO!

The iPhone has over 100,000 apps because developers and customers love the iPhone. WebOS has 600 apps because... Well, you can spend some time pondering that.
    the app store is huge. But devs have been complaining for quite awhile that it is very difficult to make $$$....

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2009/tc20091121_780331.htm

webos is having pains too because there isn't a large user base. But the same problem exists when you have 100K apps and 70% of the downloads are free. The top apps make $$$ the others....not so much

http://www.macworld.com/article/143627/2009/11/paid_apps.html

I'm not a dev, but I'd assume like any forprofit enterprise, choosing to develop for the iphone is done more so because of the user base and chance of making $$$ and less about personal preferance. Its a business after all.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/12/2009 at 10:29 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Sounds like sour grapes to me. Tell me, OP, is Palm turning away developers who want to submit duplicates within a category? Is Palm telling developers not to bother with fart apps? Is Palm doing anything to proactively offer a cleaner app catalogue than the competition? NO!

The iPhone has over 100,000 apps because developers and customers love the iPhone. WebOS has 600 apps because... Well, you can spend some time pondering that.
    Sour Grapes?? So that screen shot FROM ITUNES doesn't have 16 copies of the same TipTopTap?? There aren't 2000 "Fans" apps from Brighthouse labs?

It's no secret and I could post articles all day long (many right from TiPB) stating how IPHONE USERS are dissatisfied with the monstrous number of crap apps. Do they have great apps and some kick azz games? Sure but out of 100,000 I would put substantial money that 85% are garbage and 15,000 are worth while. iP Devs *wouldn't* be complaining that it's hard to make money if app store wasn't filled with free garbage.

It took me 10 mins to find 3100 dupes, how many you think I'd find if I could manage to not delete iTunes for an entire day?

That said, what's done is done and there's no going back so Palm, Android, RIM, and others will have to pile on the garbage to inflate the numbers because sheeple are too stupid to realize quantity <> quality.
    Sour Grapes?? So that screen shot FROM ITUNES doesn't have 16 copies of the same TipTopTap?? There aren't 2000 "Fans" apps from Brighthouse labs?

It's no secret and I could post articles all day long (many right from TiPB) stating how IPHONE USERS are dissatisfied with the monstrous number of crap apps. Do they have great apps and some kick azz games? Sure but out of 100,000 I would put substantial money that 85% are garbage and 15,000 are worth while. iP Devs *wouldn't* be complaining that it's hard to make money if app store wasn't filled with free garbage.

It took me 10 mins to find 3100 dupes, how many you think I'd find if I could manage to not delete iTunes for an entire day?

That said, what's done is done and there's no going back so Palm, Android, RIM, and others will have to pile on the garbage to inflate the numbers because sheeple are too stupid to realize quantity <> quality.
    Do you really think Apple has a developer problem? I so wish all those complaining about developing for the iPhone would go and develop for Palm. Please, take the iPhone rejects. The only developer problem the iPhone platform has is that we have too many. Apple never wanted the fart apps and such, but the demand was too great. Tell me again about the demand for Palm apps.

You want to throw away 80% of the iPhone apps because you, personally think they are junk? Fine. How many good apps does that leave? Tell me, how many of WebOS's 600 apps are junk? Shall I throw out 80% of those? Apple is not doing anything to interfere with Palm app development. Palm simply has not put out a complete or compelling product for the mass market, and the SDK does not satisfy developers. But go ahead, keep blaming Apple and dismissing the mass appeal of the iPhone app store. If it makes you feel better to think that the app store is crap while the app catalogue is so much better, go ahead. That is truly delusional, though.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'm not a dev, but I'd assume like any forprofit enterprise, choosing to develop for the iphone is done more so because of the user base and chance of making $$$ and less about personal preferance. Its a business after all.
    Right now, it is hands-down the best mobile development platform, and I think that factors in quite a bit. For all the shortcomings of the App Store, it is still the best game in town.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Apple is not doing anything to interfere with Palm app development. Palm simply has not put out a complete or compelling product for the mass market, and the SDK does not satisfy developers.
    Well said.
    nothing beats a jailbroken iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    enough said!!!!!!
    So true
    Well, the tour guides being separate make sense (sorry, if I'm going to Orlando, I don't need information on New York City). Same with 'Fan' apps. I'm a Dolphins fan, so why do I need an app for the Rams?

Yes, the bodily function apps are a bit repetitive, but so does the real world market.

Do I want a ****-kickin' app that just blows the iPhone away, but we haven't seen that yet. Truthfully, I'd just like to get some of my ol' Centro's apps back, like Agendus.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Brighthouse is shoveling krapware into the WebOS App store too. I think that the percentage of kraps in the WebOS store is eventually going to be higher than the percentage of kraps in the Apple store. The WebOS SDK makes writing kraps trivially easy compared to the iPhone SDK.
    You know danbj13, it takes a lot of commitment to be such a blind fan of Apple to come to a Pre forum to do nothing but talk about how wonderful Apple is and how terrible Palm is.

Looking at your posts, nearly every one of them either praises Apple or slams Palm. So I have to ask, why are you even here?
    If you have an iPod Touch the only app I recommend is Air Video and they offer a free version too. Other than that its a hit or miss. I've wasted about $60 bucks on crap in that horribly organized app store. They have a lot great apps its just hard as hell to find. You can also check out appshopper.com for a list of discounted to free apps which is always cool.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast