Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I've been waiting to replace my Centro for a long time and was finally forced to upgrade when the stylus broke, the down button stopped working, and I could barely hear the speaker. So, I was debating between a Hero and Pre on Sprint or switching to Verizon for the Droid.

I ended up sticking with Sprint due to the plan pricing and getting the Pre bc the interface is much more polished. On the subway on the way home from Best Buy, I got the dreaded Oreo-twisting effect between the two halves. I returned the phone and got a new Pre that seems ok so far. I have to say that I LOVE the software/OS... it's so slick and responsive. The screen is brilliant and the camera rocks. Sprint's data network is also great.

The thing is, I'm getting worried that the build quality of these devices is a bit dodgy. That and the fact that everyone seems to have forgotten about WebOS. Android seems to be the hot platform and Google has so much more $$ to throw at development compared to Palm. I keep hearing rumors that Palm is going to close up shop or be bought up by another company. All this makes me worried that the Pre will become the backwater of smartphones and we'll never get any real improments to the firmware or decent apps.

What does everyone think? I'm still in my trial period and can return the device.
    It's just a phone. You have 30 days to decide.
    is an awesome phone if u tweak it!
    I have been a Palm follower for quite some time, if Palm goes down... I'm going with them. I love WebOS and my Pre is awesome!!!
    I think the future looks pretty bright for Palm. Whenever anyone talks about a new mobile website, I generally hear something along the lines of, "and it works for webkit based browsers found on iPhone, Android, and WebOS." That's a good sign to me that WebOS is going to be highly relevant for a while. As Palm expands to additional carriers, sales volume will continue to increase. It's not in danger of becoming a "backwater" any time soon.

If you're worried about build quality, you can find 30,000 opinions on that topic here and elsewhere. I say inspect it before you buy it, and enjoy it without worrying about it until it breaks. Get the Palm leather side case and use it to minimize your chances of dropping it. Consider a screen protector to keep it from getting scratched. It may not be as solid as the Droid, but assuming there are no manufacturing defects, it should last just fine.

Then immerse yourself in this site and learn all you can about WebOS. Homebrew apps and patches are a big chunk of what is fun about WebOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    lol No one knows what's going to happen, future is unpredictable. Pre has a lot of potential so it might succeed, or it might not. Even if your going to jump ship to another carrier then $160 cancellation fee is not something to loose sleep over. If you like a certain phone then go and play around with it at the store and get a feel for it. I was really impressed with the droid, until I went to my local Verizon store to check it out. It made me appreciate my Pre a lot more
    Palm isn't going anywhere anytime soon they just basically went global with the phone and wait till it hits AT&T and verizon. After that tons of cash will be flowing in; they will once again be on top. I would not worry so much they just need some time to get things on other carriers. I honestly think this is the best phone out there right now on the best carrier also. With flash coming soon, gpu support and video recording this phone will be even more of a blast. You should be fine
    as far as the build quality, yeah its shaky but my friend has a Pre also and his felt a hell of alot more sturdy then mine. And it had a rubberized back like the moto q9c did. I will ask him where he got his from cause I want one without this slick back cover mine has.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    I've been waiting to replace my Centro for a long time and was finally forced to upgrade when the stylus broke, the down button stopped working, and I could barely hear the speaker. So, I was debating between a Hero and Pre on Sprint or switching to Verizon for the Droid.

I ended up sticking with Sprint due to the plan pricing and getting the Pre bc the interface is much more polished. On the subway on the way home from Best Buy, I got the dreaded Oreo-twisting effect between the two halves. I returned the phone and got a new Pre that seems ok so far. I have to say that I LOVE the software/OS... it's so slick and responsive. The screen is brilliant and the camera rocks. Sprint's data network is also great.

The thing is, I'm getting worried that the build quality of these devices is a bit dodgy. That and the fact that everyone seems to have forgotten about WebOS. Android seems to be the hot platform and Google has so much more $$ to throw at development compared to Palm. I keep hearing rumors that Palm is going to close up shop or be bought up by another company. All this makes me worried that the Pre will become the backwater of smartphones and we'll never get any real improments to the firmware or decent apps.

What does everyone think? I'm still in my trial period and can return the device.

absolutely try the phone for as long as you can, and get familiar with the stuff you like, new things you may, and others you may hate. if it does everything YOU want with aplomb then why switch?

if it doesn't do what you want, or you spend more time fiddleing with it than actually using it after getting familiar, then maybe take a look at the hero.

other thoughts.

1: forums are where people complain, and ask how to get fixes for things that aren't working. they are not good places to get an accurate assessment of things like build quality, they are a great place to get the **** on what can, and sometimes does, go wrong.

2: android is the hot platform, google has money this is very true. palm has not been forgotten, some major developers of the highest order (like epocrates for example) are still interested and developing, though they aren't all speeding along (like docs-to-go) they are happening. palm, like anything in the cellphone industry, is in danger of being forgotten if they do not continue to innovate and push the product. thus far they have been those things, and don't really show overt signs of that stopping any time soon, so you are probably safe.

if you want 3d games, the pre is not a good choice right now, that very well may change in a few months (read perhaps with flash, soon, or perhaps not until June) but there are no certainties on that.

the UI for me is the thing i interact with the most on any device. all of these, including the droid and iphone have screens roughly the size of a credit card or smaller, thats it, so UI is of primary importance for me, here is where the pre shines.

in the end, its personal. the pixi is probably more akin to the centro if you have hardware concerns but like the UI, it is a great little phone if you can live without wifi.

anyway, try not to spend too much time looking at the complaints threads, as people here vent and fume over things that you may not have ever cared about, and would live quite happily without until reading.

on the other hand, there are great patches, and applications and themes available from the homebrew side, i would checkout some of the how too articles on the front page if that kind of thing tickles your fancy, no "rooting" or "jailbraking" required, just a simple turning on of the built-in administrator (IE developer) access.
    There are four lights.
    The Pixi is definitely more solid, but you give up WiFi and Camera performance (the two big ones for me.) If you don't like the build quality of the Pre and want to stick back to a familiar form factor, the Pixi might be the answer. As everyone has said, you have 30 days.

I personally feel that we have only seen the beginnings of what Palm is capable of. The progress has been steady and users problems quickly (for a company) addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by big****t View Post
    as far as the build quality, yeah its shaky but my friend has a Pre also and his felt a hell of alot more sturdy then mine. And it had a rubberized back like the moto q9c did. I will ask him where he got his from cause I want one without this slick back cover mine has.
    Most likely, he has a Touchstone with the back that comes with it. It is more grippy than the stock Pre. That is what I use and it is much better.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Anyone have taken a look to acer liquid? That would be my second choice!
    Well, here's my quick story....

iPhone 2G user as of day 1 of release including waiting in line. Purchased Palm Pre on launch day including waiting in line...love WebOS. Build quality and reception force me to return the product on day 29. Back to my 2G iPhone. Upgrade to iPhone 3Gs...great product. Fall in love with DROID. Sell iPhone on Craigslist for $425, purchase DROID. Very great product. Day 29 rolls around....and dang it if I don't miss the polish and fluidity of WebOS. For what I do....email and calendar (both Google and Exchange), SMS/MMS, browsing, Facebook....and small time killing games, the WebOS is right up my alley. What does that mean....? I return my DROID, re-purchase a Pre and here I am, running patches and homebrew apps and loving my device.

Essentially, they all have their ups and they all have their downs....what device works best for you is all that matters. I did worry about the App Catalog and sustainability of Palm, but how many apps do you really need? I personally do not require 100,000 in a catalog and get along just fine with about 30 of my most trusted.

Just my 10 cents...sorry for the long windedness.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have a review of my Hero vs. my Pre in cross-platform chat which you might find helpful. I still have both and have been going back and forth. However I will most likely be selling the Hero and keeping the Pre soon since there are a ton of Android phones coming out in 2010 from many manufacturers (including the Hero 2, named Legend). Personally I like more exclusive companies that bind their own hardware to their own software (RIM, Palm, and Apple), since its better to control quality, whereas with Android it will be massively popular next year and you have a slew of crappy cheap Android phones as well as expensive, good ones. If Palm makes a good phone, then you can be sure that all WebOS phones are good (just like right now one can say all current generation iPhone OS phones are good).

Anyway, I am optimistic about Palm's next device which will probably come out next year. Whether Palm will succeed depends heavily on if they learned anything towards the Pre 2.
    Last edited by mxu030; 12/09/2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    stick with the pre. Assuming blackberry grates on you as much as me, there's no better phone platform than webos.
    I suggest you download & install preware....its simple. Without preware I would have sold this phone long ago!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone! I'm just on day 3 of my Pre, so I'm pretty new to WebOS and homebrew. I think the device is great... I was just thrown off by the oreo-ing of the first one I had. I feel like I have to treat this one with kid gloves.... I have a Skinomi protector coming. Just wish the damn thing had an on-screen keyboard so I didn't have to constantly open it to type out a quick text.

1. Stop worrying about things that haven't happened. If the device breaks again, take it back again.
    2. Your "fact" isn't a fact, it's a false impression. Over 100 new apps this week alone. "Everyone" hasn't forgotten WebOS
    3. Quite listening to rumors, or at least, quit trying to live by them.
    4. So far, the Pre has had more updates to the OS than any smartphone I've seen.
    5. If you're still worried on your 29th day, don't lose sleep over the Pre. Take it back, and lose sleep over something else (yes, that too will become obsolete someday).
    Quote Originally Posted by big****t View Post
    The rubberized back is the back to be used with a Touchstone. You can purchase it alone, but it's designed to be used with the Touchstone.

http://store.precentral.net/palm-tou...4A195A5648.htm
    Thanks everyone! I'm just on day 3 of my Pre, so I'm pretty new to WebOS and homebrew. I think the device is great... I was just thrown off by the oreo-ing of the first one I had. I feel like I have to treat this one with kid gloves.... I have a Skinomi protector coming. Just wish the damn thing had an on-screen keyboard so I didn't have to constantly open it to type out a quick text.
    Theres a patch for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinJam76 View Post
    Just my 10 cents...sorry for the long windedness.
    Dang dude... I mean, your story brought a smile to my face... but dang dude, you should be the one with a thread called "Buyer's Remorse" ...

Seriously
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast