Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Your points are fair, but I'm not "looking" for any problems. When I say "seems" I mean to say it IS wobbly and the top half IS smaller than the bottom by a few mm's, which neither of the others Pre's were. A little wobble wouldn't kill me, but when the top half is smaller than the bottom half and this is most pronounced on the lower (microphone) end of the phone, it means that I'm constantly feeling the lip when I'm talking on the phone.

My Centro did get busted up, but only after owning it for 2.5 years, putting the thing through its paces, dropping it a bunch of times and having my kids have their way with it. The problems it developed weren't a surprise; they were normal wear and tear.

The fact that I've had three Pre's, each with different problems, confirms in my mind that they have some serious build issues. I'm going to try a fourth (just try and stop me!) and then jump ship if it doesn't work out. I'm not Android-crazy, so I'll be sad to have to get a Hero, but I can't stick with crap hardware just because the software is so awesome.
    I may have missed it but what is wrong with the pixi if you had a centro before?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    I may have missed it but what is wrong with the pixi if you had a centro before?
    Yea, I've been thinking that. I love the Pixi's keyboard. My only hesitation is that I've read that it's really laggy and that the camera sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    Just a few things to consider though:

His centro didn't need a new data plan and perhaps was even still on SERO. To upgrade to a new smartphone, his expense is likely to go up.

To go from a Centro to a Pixi, he'll still be without wifi. The Pixi's camera sucks. Not much of an upgrade there. And while he'll gain a great browser and multitasking, he'll lose some functions such as video recording, apps, etc. Is this worth the monthly increase?

To go to a Pre from a Centro starts to have more benefits to justify the cost. Better camera, wifi, 24bit color higher rez screen, etc. It's just that the hardware may be more likely to have problems.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just a few things to consider though:

His centro didn't need a new data plan and perhaps was even still on SERO. To upgrade to a new smartphone, his expense is likely to go up.

To go from a Centro to a Pixi, he'll still be without wifi. The Pixi's camera sucks. Not much of an upgrade there. And while he'll gain a great browser and multitasking, he'll lose some functions such as video recording, apps, etc. Is this worth the monthly increase?

To go to a Pre from a Centro starts to have more benefits to justify the cost. Better camera, wifi, 24bit color higher rez screen, etc. It's just that the hardware may be more likely to have problems.
    My plan stayed the same ($69/mo). It's mainly the camera that's got me down on the Pixi... I love the Pre's camera and I tend to take a lot of mobile pics. Granted, either one is better than the Centro's camera.
    Also, don't forget the new Palm Ares Project which is a web-based app development environment. From what I "hear" it is pretty cool. This might make app development even more enticing. Also, there is PhoneGap which is a "universal" interface to which a developer could write their app which is then converted to a native app for the particular device. They are just now adding support for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Your points are fair, but I'm not "looking" for any problems. When I say "seems" I mean to say it IS wobbly and the top half IS smaller than the bottom by a few mm's, which neither of the others Pre's were. A little wobble wouldn't kill me, but when the top half is smaller than the bottom half and this is most pronounced on the lower (microphone) end of the phone, it means that I'm constantly feeling the lip when I'm talking on the phone.

My Centro did get busted up, but only after owning it for 2.5 years, putting the thing through its paces, dropping it a bunch of times and having my kids have their way with it. The problems it developed weren't a surprise; they were normal wear and tear.

The fact that I've had three Pre's, each with different problems, confirms in my mind that they have some serious build issues. I'm going to try a fourth (just try and stop me!) and then jump ship if it doesn't work out. I'm not Android-crazy, so I'll be sad to have to get a Hero, but I can't stick with crap hardware just because the software is so awesome.
    Why jump ship to a Hero then? It would appear your comparing a slider (Pre) to a candybar (Centro) design. Guess which one has more moving parts? Guess which one is more difficult to design solidly?

If you remain dissatisfied with the Pre, check out the Pixi. Fewer moving parts, and though it's got no wifi and a poorer camera, both of those things were true of your Centro.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why jump ship to a Hero then? It would appear your comparing a slider (Pre) to a candybar (Centro) design. Guess which one has more moving parts? Guess which one is more difficult to design solidly?

If you remain dissatisfied with the Pre, check out the Pixi. Fewer moving parts, and though it's got no wifi and a poorer camera, both of those things were true of your Centro.
    Agreed. I too had been debating on which to get (Pre or Pixi). For me, it just came down to what was important (to me). First and foremost, it's a phone. If I want to take good pictures, I'd use a good camera, you know, a device dedicated for that purpose. Web surfing and email? Only in a pinch.

Also keep in mind that with current technology, in order to cram all of this "jack of all trades" functionality with somewhat acceptable performance into a relatively compact package, something's gotta give. In this case, battery life. Oh let's not forget durability. It just seemed to me that the Pixi would be able to handle a little more abuse than the Pre. I just wish they would given a different name! Well, that's my .02 worth anyway.
    thats why you get 30 days to try it out....If you couldnt see the phone wasnt for you after 30 days of usage then look in the mirror for someone to blame...

theres really no need to complain if you have all that time to take the phone back and get a different device that fits your needs....

It took me 15 minutes to realize the hero was not for me....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123