Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm just on day 3 of my Pre, so I'm pretty new to WebOS and homebrew. I think the device is great... I was just thrown off by the oreo-ing of the first one I had. I feel like I have to treat this one with kid gloves....
    Don't treat it with "kid gloves". First of all, the device is sturdier than you think (as a rule, obviously, some users have a different experience). Secondly, if you treat it with "kid gloves" during the initial 30 days, as you get more used to it, and it becomes "less new", you will treat it more like a normal phone, but you'll be out of your 30 day option, possibly out of your warranty period, if/when it breaks.
    Treat it like you normally would. At first, I tread mine like it was delicated. After a couple weeks, I got tired of babying it, put a screen protector on it, and it's been fine (even after a few drops). I've had mine since the release day in the US.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Just wish the damn thing had an on-screen keyboard so I didn't have to constantly open it to type out a quick text.
    A pretty cool virtual keyboard is available through Preware. You need to get into the patches and Homebrew apps!
    If you love the Pre and are feeling queezy about build quality, get a Seidio Innocase. I was really skeptical and held off on getting one for a long while but I finally caved in when someone posted about how they'd modded theirs with magnets to make it stick to the touchstone better. It really makes the Pre feel like a different phone.. 1mm of rubberized shell add soooo much to the overall feel of the device. It also helped to relieve a bit of my oreo effect, although there's still a little wiggle there but I have to make it happen deliberately to notice it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dang dude... I mean, your story brought a smile to my face... but dang dude, you should be the one with a thread called "Buyer's Remorse" ...

Seriously
    haha...what can I say, I like trying out new gadgets. But I came home to the Pre, and that's what really matters, right? *rubs gesture area*...ahhhhhh
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    If you love the Pre and are feeling queezy about build quality, get a Seidio Innocase. I was really skeptical and held off on getting one for a long while but I finally caved in when someone posted about how they'd modded theirs with magnets to make it stick to the touchstone better. It really makes the Pre feel like a different phone.. 1mm of rubberized shell add soooo much to the overall feel of the device. It also helped to relieve a bit of my oreo effect, although there's still a little wiggle there but I have to make it happen deliberately to notice it.
    How does the Seidio Innocase compare to the the hard plastic case to the Crystal Clear Transparent Snap-On Cover Hard Case? I heard the Innocase isn't that durable and it is prone to breaking.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    As for build quality, I purchased the Touchstone back without the touchstone. It makes the device fell much better and sturdier. Less creaking noise when typing.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well, after another full day with my Pre, I have to say it.... I LOVE it! The OS is so slick and enjoyable to use. I'm willing to endure any potential hardware issues just bc it's so nice. Blows the iPhone platform out of the water, IMHO. I've got a Skinomi protector coming today with a Touchstone... I'm looking forward to the rubberized back.

Thanks for all the tips. I plan to get into homebrew today and start some fun with the phone. And thanks for the tip to not treat the phone with kid gloves... excellent advice, esp considering I have two toddlers who will put this device through its paces (yes, I got insurance).
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jliu07 View Post
    How does the Seidio Innocase compare to the the hard plastic case to the Crystal Clear Transparent Snap-On Cover Hard Case? I heard the Innocase isn't that durable and it is prone to breaking.
    The seidio case has a decent feel in my opinion. Its far from the best case, but ive dropped my phone once with it on and no damage to the case or phone. However, their have been problems with the tabs that secure the case to the phone breaking. Seidio will replace for free though, Im on my second replacement.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I got a question, I am kind of having some second thought about my Pre. Don't get my wrong I love my Pre but 20-30% is telling me to switch for a BB or Andriod. I think most of it though is because I am carious and I want to try out other phones...

So my question is:

Has any gotten the Palm Pre first, then switched over to something say like a BB/WinMo/Andriod and felt some remorse and decided to switch back to a Pre?
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I have the Pre and the Hero and I have been switching back and forth about every week or two. After I upgraded to 1.3.1 my Pre was been very sluggish and battery life wouldn't let me make it through the day. So I ran the DR to bring it back to stock and ran that for a few days with the same results. Before the upgrade it was running great, very responsive and I could make it till about 10PM and have about 20% battery left.

I switched to the Hero and rooted it and installed Fresh ROM, very quick and battery life is back up, almost 2 full days with the Hero. Lots of cool apps, Shazzam, Google Sky, PicSay, Teeter, iMusic... and a few more I can't remember.

Debating on exchanging the Pre and seeing if my battery is going or something is wrong with my Pre.
    Agreeing with everyone who says putting some homebrew on your device makes it that much more fun. Base device is OK, but with some of the (non-dangerous) patches in place and playing with theming your handset, the device becomes awesome! (Well, IMHO.)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Get one of those sprint slider cases. Zero oreo with those (since they have a slider that protects the Pre's slider). Makes the phone a bit bigger, but less easy to drop (and stronger if you do). And you'll get used to the chrome face.
    The only thing I am regretting is not knowing that Bell still wouldn't have access to paid apps. Anyone heard of an ETA on that?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    I have the Pre and the Hero and I have been switching back and forth about every week or two. After I upgraded to 1.3.1 my Pre was been very sluggish and battery life wouldn't let me make it through the day. So I ran the DR to bring it back to stock and ran that for a few days with the same results. Before the upgrade it was running great, very responsive and I could make it till about 10PM and have about 20% battery left.

I switched to the Hero and rooted it and installed Fresh ROM, very quick and battery life is back up, almost 2 full days with the Hero. Lots of cool apps, Shazzam, Google Sky, PicSay, Teeter, iMusic... and a few more I can't remember.

Debating on exchanging the Pre and seeing if my battery is going or something is wrong with my Pre.
    How long does your Hero's battery last with a fair bit of texting and browsing the web? Also is it hard to get use to typing with a virtual keyboard?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well, I'm back. I'm now on my THIRD Pre in the first week of owning the device. The first one had the wobble, serious enough that I could see some of the internals of the phone. The second one ended up having a "U" key on the keyboard that didn't work. So, I now have my third Pre... I inspected it carefully before leaving Best Buy. Unfortunately, my new one has also developed the wobble, this time on the bottom of the phone. It's not as severe as the first one, but there is a noticeable lip on the right side of the phone when it's closed and it wobbles back and forth.

I'm just about fed up with this... since I'm still in my 30-day window, I guess I'll schlep back to BB and get another. I know the wobble is an oft-reported problem and perhaps I'm making too much out of a minor issue, but I expect a phone to feel stable especially only days after purchase.

Ugh!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    The Pre Rocks! Just add MyThether and it becomes a MiFi (without the extra $60/mo charge) and a bunch of patches, apps and themes and you can customize to your heart's content. (pretty much) I checked out the Droid and the keyboard was terrible. (To my taste) also it's a brick like the iPhone where as our Pre's a light and small in the pocket! Also, I think you could cancel your contract without an EFT in January. (See thread by a similar name)
    I envy your ability to return the phone without a big hassle. The phone is great some days and just the biggest POS others. I really hate what Palm and Sprint did together. I don't know if others would be better, but I sometimes think they can't be worse.

The droid certianly has the wow factor for the gadget minded.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well, I'm going back to Best Buy tonight with my wobbly Pre. I thought I'd wait a day to see if it really bothered me and I can now report that it does. The funny thing is that it seems a bit wobbly but, more strangely, the top half seems to be smaller than it should be... when closed, if I line up one side of the top so that it's flush with the side of the bottom, the other side has a lip and is misaligned. I'm pretty sure my other two Pre's weren't like that.

This time I want to look at a few Pre's in Best Buy before I walk out with any of them. The build quality of these phones suck... and believe me, I'm not a picky phone-owner. I had a busted-up Centro for a loooong time before I upgraded.
    Well, I'm going back to Best Buy tonight with my wobbly Pre. I thought I'd wait a day to see if it really bothered me and I can now report that it does. The funny thing is that it seems a bit wobbly but, more strangely, the top half seems to be smaller than it should be... when closed, if I line up one side of the top so that it's flush with the side of the bottom, the other side has a lip and is misaligned. I'm pretty sure my other two Pre's weren't like that.

This time I want to look at a few Pre's in Best Buy before I walk out with any of them. The build quality of these phones suck... and believe me, I'm not a picky phone-owner. I had a busted-up Centro for a loooong time before I upgraded.
    You may genuinely be having problems, but I think you're kidding yourself when you say you're say you're not a picky phone owner. I don't doubt your busted up Centro story for a minute, but compare that with what you're saying about the Pre: It seems to be wobbly, one half seems to be smaller, etc... I submit you're looking at the Pre a lot more closely than you did your busted up Centro.

Here's another quote that caught my attention (added emphasis is mine):
    Unfortunately, my new one has also developed the wobble, this time on the bottom of the phone. It's not as severe as the first one, but there is a noticeable lip on the right side of the phone when it's closed and it wobbles back and forth.
    I've had the same Pre since it was released on June 6. When the talk about the "Oreo effect" first came up, I started looking at mine more closely (and with a more jaundiced eye). I even found myself fiddling with it, turning wiggling the top half left & right, rocking the top half when it was closed, etc. It finally occurred to me that I might just be inducing the problem that so many people were concerned about.

I will tell you this. My Pre currently has about 1/16" wiggle left & right when it's closed. What bothers me more (when I check it) is that it's got about 1/8" gap top half to bottom when I "rock" it (like a see-saw) when it's closed.

However, all of that disappears when the device is open. And more importantly, these are the same amounts I've had on it since about a month after I got it, which was when I first started taking notice.

Now, I can also tell you that when I walk into a store, the new Pre's feel like they have less play (the few times I've checked); but I think that's the nature of the beast. A new car won't creak and squeek when you get in and shut the doors, but you don't worry about it when it's 6 month old and does.

My opinion, the Pre's about the same way. it's got two major moving parts. When extended (opened), those two parts are about 50% longer than when closed. That's a lot of leverage on the slider mechanism.

That might be a design error (I think "error" in this case is very subjective); and it may be that a slider, especially a curved slider, isn't for you. However, my recommendation would be: Use the device. Be more concerned about how "firm" it when it's opened than when it's closed. Worry less about some small amount of wobble, and be more concerned about whether or not it's steadily getting worse.

Most importantly, don't concentrate so hard on finding one particular flaw. If you try that hard, you most certainly will (but that's not an "exclusive" to the Pre).
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Your points are fair, but I'm not "looking" for any problems. When I say "seems" I mean to say it IS wobbly and the top half IS smaller than the bottom by a few mm's, which neither of the others Pre's were. A little wobble wouldn't kill me, but when the top half is smaller than the bottom half and this is most pronounced on the lower (microphone) end of the phone, it means that I'm constantly feeling the lip when I'm talking on the phone.

My Centro did get busted up, but only after owning it for 2.5 years, putting the thing through its paces, dropping it a bunch of times and having my kids have their way with it. The problems it developed weren't a surprise; they were normal wear and tear.

The fact that I've had three Pre's, each with different problems, confirms in my mind that they have some serious build issues. I'm going to try a fourth (just try and stop me!) and then jump ship if it doesn't work out. I'm not Android-crazy, so I'll be sad to have to get a Hero, but I can't stick with crap hardware just because the software is so awesome.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast