Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    it truley is a great time to be a gadget hound

may I be so bold as to proclaim this as the golden age of gadgets?
    Make sure you don't have the default SSH password.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    what's easier to get to root on the pre or droid? And how long did each take to get done the first time? Anyone know?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    what's easier to get to root on the pre or droid? And how long did each take to get done the first time? Anyone know?
    They're about the same difficulty, though Google seems to go out of their way to make it easy. They even sell apps that require rooting in the Marketplace. The Pre's methods now are a little more involved than Android, but the old method I was still using(using the talk.py method) made it a little easier than the current method, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    They're about the same difficulty, though Google seems to go out of their way to make it easy. They even sell apps that require rooting in the Marketplace. The Pre's methods now are a little more involved than Android, but the old method I was still using(using the talk.py method) made it a little easier than the current method, IMO.
    How is Pre's method involved at all? Palm distributes the software to "root" the Pre. There is no lock down. Install the SDK, enter the developer code, run novaterm.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    And let me just say... Much heavier than the Pre!
    Rewording his post a little bit...while I love the "quality" feel of the Droid, I feel like it is going to rip a hole in my pocket it is so heavy! I also prefer the size of the Pre. It seems to fit better in my pocket, kind of like the difference between wallets that you can't see and ones that you can (you know the wallets that are full bill sized versus bi-fold).

But I will say that aside from the Pre the Droid is the next best choice...
    Do you know the difference with the 2 data plans VZ offers? One is unlimited data for $44.95 and theother is Unlimited email and web for $29.95. Do you know if the Droid can check Exchange email if you have the $29.95 plan?
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    Do you know the difference with the 2 data plans VZ offers? One is unlimited data for $44.95 and theother is Unlimited email and web for $29.95. Do you know if the Droid can check Exchange email if you have the $29.95 plan?
    The 44.95 is the one that supports Exchange email... the 29.95 one, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $does$ $not$.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    How is Pre's method involved at all? Palm distributes the software to "root" the Pre. There is no lock down. Install the SDK, enter the developer code, run novaterm.
    Considering I could never get it to work, and the talk.py never fails, and is a lot less steps, I'd say the new way is much more involved. I can root a Pre in under 3 minutes(factoring in reboot time for dev mode) currently with talk.py...
    The 44.95 is the one that supports Exchange email... the 29.95 one, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $does$ $not$.
    Exchange does work on the $29.99 plan. Verizon will like you to think it doesn't though and the wording on their website is very vague. I had the $45 dollar plan and downgraded to the $29.99 and NOTHING changed! The $45 plan is for people with phones on corporate accounts (e.g if my company provides or pays for my phone).

There's a thread on this over on droidforum BTW.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123