View Poll Results: Palm Pre or iPhone (still read the post and help with the points please)

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Pre

41 80.39%
  • iPhone 3GS

10 19.61%
  • iPhone 3G

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi all, been searching through the forum and there is soo much info, so thought i'd post as i'm confusing myself trying to decide.

i am from the UK, so no network issue.

i've got the choice of the pre and 3gs.

i don't feel like conforming but i have to admit the iphone is good.

i'm just going to jot my personal pros and cons of the pre (please point out where i am thinking wrong)
    pros; multi task, cards look wicked, the interface is simple and fun looking (different from iphone), organisational attributes of the phone are amazing, looks amazing.

cons; battery, lack of auto correct, sharp edge, small keyboard, bad construction of phone.

undecided; apps and patches, how is the situation with these? i know you get homebrews which are people that develope them but are they good and being created at a good rate?
    palm updates, it seems palm has done 4? updates and the last 2 having quite a nice amount of work done, are they really helpful updates?
    do the patches pretty much fix anything people have complained about?

can you please tell me your personal issues with the pre, good and bad (bad is more important)

also 1 thing that is not important to me is games on the phone. i do like little games which are endlessly entraining (like what the pre offers), but i do like gadgety apps. is there a large selection of the non game apps that iphone offers on the pre?

i will most likely get the pre to have a trial, as i can return within 14days, but would still like to have some info.

i really just don't want to conform with society and its iphone mainia (i bought a sansaclip instead of an ipod lol)
    Last edited by Sunil 237; 12/08/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil 237 View Post
    hi all, been searching through the forum and there is soo much info, so thought i'd post as i'm confusing myself trying to decide.

i've got the choice of the pre and 3gs.

i don't feel like conforming but i have to admit the iphone is good.

i'm just going to jot my personal pros and cons of the pre (please point out where i am thinking wrong)
    pros; multi task, cards look wicked, the interface is simple and fun looking (different from iphone), organisational attributes of the phone are amazing, looks amazing.

cons; battery, lack of auto correct, sharp edge, small keyboard, bad construction of phone.

undecided; apps and patches, how is the situation with these? i know you get homebrews which are people that develope them but are they good and being created at a good rate?
    palm updates, it seems palm has done 4? updates and the last 2 having quite a nice amount of work done, are they really helpful updates?
    do the patches pretty much fix anything people have complained about?

can you please tell me your personal issues with the pre, good and bad (bad is more important)

also 1 thing that is not important to me is games on the phone. i do like little games which are endlessly entraining (like what the pre offers), but i do like gadgety apps. is there a large selection of the non game apps that iphone offers on the pre?

i will most likely get the pre to have a trial, as i can return within 14days, but would still like to have some info.

i really just don't want to conform with society and its iphone mainia (i bought a sansaclip instead of an ipod lol)
    Go to both Sprint and Att and test both devices. The Pre should win.
    Based on your desire not to conform, which I share, I say get the Pre. No question, there are way more apps of every sort for the iPhone. The Pre now has a pretty good selection of apps (if you're in the US, ahem). I don't think the battery is any worse than the iPhone--I believe they're both rated 5 hours talk time.

Updates have been good, though not without some bugs. Patches don't fix everything, but there is a nice assortment of things that they do fix.

There are some bugs in the Pre that annoy me, but nothing I can't get over. Overall, I've been very happy with my Pre (I've had it for 6 months). I think you would be too. I say get one and enjoy.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have never touched an iPhone so cannot compare.

As far as your cons: I do not have any battery problems. I do love my Touchstone, but even when without a charger I've not had my battery die within a day. The Pre does auto-correct things like "u" and "r", but I don't know what else because I type very accurately with the Pre's keyboard. There aren't any sharp edges either. That silly "cheese cutter" review was just plain wrong. I do not have any issues with the hardware.

Undecided: Software/apps/updates are a personal thing. I can't guess if you'd be happy. Not sure what you mean by "gadgety apps."

You have 30 days to decide. The only way you'll really know is if you try it. The iPhone and Pre aren't the only phone choices in the world either. Maybe an Android phone would suit you. *shrug*

I will add that I came from at&t to Sprint and couldn't be happier. Lower bill and less dropped calls. Plus, at&t 3G was not available in my area so I'm happy to have faster than Edge speed.
    To be honest, I would have to say that if you are making your decision based *solely* upon the current hardware / itineration, then go with the iPhone 3GS (as it is more mature platform, and lightning fast at that). However, if the tinkerer and adventurer within you yearns for the ability to make the phone truly yours, you prefer Sprint over AT&T, and you don't mind waiting for the steady stream of updates which will (eventually) fully utilize the capabilities of the Web OS platform, then the Palm Pre might be the right fit for you. I personally migrated over from the iPhone 3G to the Palm Pixi and am quite content.
    the pre becomes addicting when 1. You add an extended battery and NEVER worry about juice. Something the iphone can't do. And you can watch movies and football games and only drain 20% of the ext battery in 3 hrs of constant streams. 2. The pre is growing at a rapid rate with development still curving upwards.

no doubt the pre will have uber app supply, but jumping into an iphone with 90k apps is a lil overwhelming to sift through, not to mention how stupid a majority of those apps are.
    Go for whatever meets your current needs the best.

Ignore conforming to society.

Ignore "potential".

Ignore "coolness". Get what works.
    the pre does have auto correct for your info and there is a patch that doubles its words
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9.    #9  
    cheers for the replies, helpful.
    i'm in the UK so both will be with o2 (a great provider, i've switched with about 4 so far and o2 was the best). sorry i thought i mentioned being from the uk.

in the uk we get 14 days to decide, i will have to do the trial but i would have preferred to be able to make a full decision as i am using a friends discount and don't want to drag him to the store twice (also there is ALWAYS!!! hassle and errors and i can't afford for my number to be lost)

i agree that the iphone has too many apps, my friend who is also a bit of a tech geek like me has pretty much only games in his apps, which are good but useless to me.

i am happy to wait for a steady stream of updates ect, i would just hope they don't drop the palm pre for a new hardware and concentrate on that, i wouldn't want to be left with a semi complete phone.

i've noticed there are many different programs that let you get apps on the phone, preware, filecoaster, repository, quick install, preload ect.. would these work for me in the uk?
    Last edited by Sunil 237; 12/08/2009 at 01:12 PM.
    The iphone does have too many apps. I noticed that the other day. It just sucks i'm telling ya..

I'm betting the iphone 3gs will have multitasking soon enough (not much else left for apple to tackle in 4.0). If not, jailbreak. Most users don't so there's your not conforming..

Between these two on the same network? It's really not a contest. Iphone easily unless you just need a physical kb and a desire to visit your carrier store every other month to exchange the Pre.
  11.    #11  
    breaks that often? wouldn't it have to be sent to the manufacturer if it breaks though? as it would be a manufacturing fault (i wouldn't get insurance to cover breakages)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I agree, if you are not a patient individual, you have to go with the Iphone, unless you really want a physical keyboard. Personally, I couldnt do an on screen keyboard again, so that was an easy choice for me. The pre (and the app catalog) is getting better each day and Palm has been very aggressive in sending out updates to Webos, which is a very very good thing.

I still dont understand why people in this community are not comparing Webos and the Pre (2009) more to Android and the G1 (2008). Android was out in 2008 and there was no talk of it and then in 2009 it exploded. I feel that 2010 will be a much better year for the Webos. However, rather than getting new phones out there, I think they will advance their OS a lot with updates and get on more carriers so more individuals have access.

I've played with both Iphones and the Pre (which i own) and I think the Iphone is a little boring, mulit tasking is just such a great feature of the Pre (even if it does not work all the time).

Homebrew should work in UK as well
    I personally much prefer the Pre for it's mod-ability. Almost every aspect of the phone can be changed to exactly how you want (with a little know-how). On the other hand, I'm not afraid to recommend the iPhone over the Pre to my non-tech-savy friends. Larger App Store, video recording (without hacks), etc.

The plan for the iPhone is quite a bit more expensive. Getting your own apps into Palm's App Catalog is better/easier than Apple's.

Yes, I know you can get homebrew on the iPhone, but it is ALOT more painful than the Pre. Jailbreaking is a PITA and it takes quite a while to fix after every update. The Pre is practically wide open.

Tech Savy - Pre
    Non-Savy - iPhone
    I used both, so I can say what I feel about the two phones. I agree with your assessment of both devices completely. So, instead of tell you about pros and cons (which you already know), I will tell you what I did. I used Pre for about a week and loved the webOS (much better then iPhone in many categories) and at the end returned the Pre. I'm waiting for Pre 2.0 and webOS 2.0 and I think you should to if you can (I couldn't that is why I tried the Pre - you can for 30 days).

iPhone does very nice job for me and battery is better so I can use it for whole day w/o recharge. Since I many use only a few apps, multitasking was not such a big deal for me. I do miss the notification and the whole OS and looking forward to Pre 2.

Hope that helped,

Boris
  15.    #15  
    i'm a tech boy, i enjoy that stuff.
    iphone would cost me 90 more initially.
    i am VERY PATIENT.

i do find the iphone a bit standard now as everyone has it.

the pre 2.0 wouldn't be out in the uk for 6 months after the us so no chance to wait for it. i will be willing to upgrade if i love palm though.
    Here's my personal opinion. I previously had the Iphone for work and personal use and have since moved to the Pre. The main reason for the switch was because my employer offered to pay for my cell phone if I moved to Sprint ( we have a company plan ). I loved the iphone. However, I now love the Pre. It all depends on your needs and desires for your phone. If you love to play games then you should consider the iphone. Its fun, has more memory ( if you choose), and is fun. I love to sit and play games, but eventually the "hype" of the iphone and apps wore off. My needs were for a phone that was compact, comfortable in my hand ( since Im on the phone alot for work), and could multi task. Never before have I owned a phone that could truly multitask like the pre. If your needs are for a phone for work, then Id say go with the Pre. Granted I also used the iphone for work and personal use, but I cant live without the Pre's multitasking anymore. I still have my iphone but run it off of my wifi at home to play games. Yes, the Pre has issues...so did my iphone when I got the original. The majority of new phones have problems, no doubt. If that bothers you then go with the Iphone. I havent ever had to sit on the phone with customer service. Ive always gone my Corporate sprint store and they take care of me quickly. Just please dont be one of those people that is made aware of the Pre having problems and sit on these forums and cry worse than my 2 year old daughter. Pre is good, Iphone is good. It just depends on what your needs are for a phone. I would recommend playing with both and making a decision based ultimately on YOUR feelings, not those on a forum. People here will of course say good and bad about the pre just as they do on any other phone forum.
    Not sure about the constant comments regarding the Pre build quality. I have had my Pre since launch, and I did take the first one in to be exchanged because of the headset issue. However, it did not need to be returned, as I now know how to fix this problem. My slider is still tight...a little wobble should be expected, and is not distracting. The phone has been dropped a couple of times despite my careful nature, but I have had no hardware issues to speak of. The Pre feels solid to me, and I disagree with others who claim it feels cheap. But maybe I am less picky...
    Well, I came over from an iphone 3g and I regret it. If you want speed, battery life, apps, better built phone, basic phone functions and much much better customer service go with att and iphone. Or, if you want to multitask on a beta os, go with the pre. I'm no ****** but my experience has been horrible with sprint and the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil 237 View Post

undecided; apps and patches, how is the situation with these?...
    Of your Pros: I'll move the keyboard over from a con to a pro, a physical keyboard lets you type in confidence, and the Pre doesn't "correct" what you type into what it insists should be.

Of your Cons, I'll only leave in bad construction of phone. My 1st batch unit is pretty flimsy. A friend got a newer build, which is sturdier, but still does the oreo. Also, I'll add in lack of memory as another issue. I'm getting so much of the "sorry, too many cards" warning that it no longer seems to multitask... this was not an issue before update 1.3.1, though.

As you can see, updates are an issue. 1.2.1 is stable yet sluggish; 1.3.1 is fast yet leaking memory all the time.

Apps and patches. Look around, everyone likes different kinds of apps. To me, both the iPhone and Pre lack good productivity apps, if you compare with good old Palm OS.

Stability. For the 6 months with my Pre, it only crashed once, other times it either told me I should close apps or got laggy, but it only forced me to reboot once. That once I was playing with something in the terminal
    I've also got a free iPod Touch 3 months ago, whose Safari web browser crashed and force-quit on me several times already. Yes it was always snappy, but would crash upon low memory before it got the chance to get laggy.

I bet you'd get a different story on a iPhone oriented Forum, though.
    Last edited by intellidryad; 12/08/2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    iPhone is great, but I find the OS kind of boring (albeit pretty user friendly) and that too many people have it.

Just the other week I was walking through Starbucks with a friend and there were four people with iPhones at a table one-upping eachother with youtube videos. Honestly I wanted to hit them over the head with their Macbook and latte.

If the Pre had video recording, I would have recorded them and uploaded it to youtube. I would have won the competition.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast