View Poll Results: Palm Pre or iPhone (still read the post and help with the points please)

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Pre

41 80.39%
  • iPhone 3GS

10 19.61%
  • iPhone 3G

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc501 View Post
    Well, I came over from an iphone 3g and I regret it. If you want speed, battery life, apps, better built phone, basic phone functions and much much better customer service go with att and iphone. Or, if you want to multitask on a beta os, go with the pre. I'm no ****** but my experience has been horrible with sprint and the pre.
    I know there will be those that will complain about another comparrison to the Pre as it is now and the Iphone what it was when it first came out, but Im going to mention it. Yes, the Pre is missing basic phone functions like video. However, when the iphone first came out you couldn't capture video or send MMS...and yet look where the Iphone stands now among phones!Will the Pre accomplish what the iphone has? Maybe not. Im hopeful tho. I had both phones, pre and iphone.
    My iphone heated up just as much as my pre. The batter life does stink on the Pre, but having two batteries can solve that.
    Speed is going to be determined by the service in your area, not necessarily the phone, especially when both being compared are on two service providers. ATT and Sprint where I live are the same, yet sprints internet always loads quicker on my PRe than it did on my Iphone. Not everyone has had poor build on their Pres.
    As I mentioned in another post, i dropped mine from 10 feet onto concrete and it still worked fine. Same happened to my iphone and it worked fine. My friends iphone got dropped on grass from 2 feet and the screen shattered. Not all Pres or iphones have the same issues.
    To the OP: As I mentioned, my advice would be to play with both phones. You can get all the advice in the world on these forums, but keep in mind not everyone has had bad experiences with their Pre.
    To me the choice between Pre and iPhone comes down to - do you want a device that (1) doesn't do everything, but is extremely elegant in everything it does, or do you want a device that (2) does more of everything (but is more vanilla at this point)?
    If 1, get a Pre. There are lots of things missing from the phone - video recording, desktop sync, complex apps. But what the phone does, it does superbly. I smile so often just playing with different apps in different cards. There are many annoyances (laggyness, battery life, etc.), but if you love the device that won't really matter.
    Also, the real reason I finally got a Pre was the community. This site is awesome. Homebrew and patches is awesome. They really make me feel a personal connection to the system. I'm satisfied with the phone where it's at, but every time I see a new app or patch, it's just adding icing on the cake.
    Last edited by panterdnola; 12/08/2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adding more info
  3.    #23  
    before my maybe lengthy reply, must say this community is awesome, really hard to find a large community on the net like this. very welcoming.

ok so the reply.

i'm not a gamer so i am and will be content with minimal effort games. i understand it's the first of its kind so prone to running into unforeseen problems, but i think due to its open source and the palm teams dedication (seems like they are dedicated to me) problems don't last too long.

I bet you'd get a different story on a iPhone oriented Forum, though.
    true but i'm here because i don't want the iphone idiots (not all of them, just the loyal sheep) to jump and scream iphone!! wooot!!. this community is a fairer in the opinions you give.

do you want a device that (1) doesn't do everything, but is extremely elegant in everything it does, or do you want a device that (2) does more of everything (but is more vanilla at this point)?
    i like that, simplier way of looking at it
    i'm going to get the pre and use its trial period.
    i get what you mean by that last line, because you still get to fiddle around with the phone giving nice big updates where you will notice the differences, making it feel renewed lol
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.johnson115 View Post
    I know there will be those that will complain about another comparrison to the Pre as it is now and the Iphone what it was when it first came out, but Im going to mention it. Yes, the Pre is missing basic phone functions like video. However, when the iphone first came out you couldn't capture video or send MMS...and yet look where the Iphone stands now among phones!Will the Pre accomplish what the iphone has? Maybe not. Im hopeful tho. I had both phones, pre and iphone.
    My iphone heated up just as much as my pre. The batter life does stink on the Pre, but having two batteries can solve that.
    Speed is going to be determined by the service in your area, not necessarily the phone, especially when both being compared are on two service providers. ATT and Sprint where I live are the same, yet sprints internet always loads quicker on my PRe than it did on my Iphone. Not everyone has had poor build on their Pres.
    As I mentioned in another post, i dropped mine from 10 feet onto concrete and it still worked fine. Same happened to my iphone and it worked fine. My friends iphone got dropped on grass from 2 feet and the screen shattered. Not all Pres or iphones have the same issues.
    To the OP: As I mentioned, my advice would be to play with both phones. You can get all the advice in the world on these forums, but keep in mind not everyone has had bad experiences with their Pre.
    Brian,

I believe you misread my post. I also had issues with my iphone but it wasnt until I dropped in water. I also never had any issues with my 2g btw. When I stated speed was a positive for the iphone. I was talking about opening basic phone apps and most other apps. iPhone is much faster and smoother. I've been a Pre owner and Sprint customer for about 2 months, my pre broke after 3 weeks of light use. Its frustrating when you need to make a call, you have 5 bars of signal and the call won't connect and finally after about a minute, it fails to connect. Or your txt messages fail but the recipient receives 2 even though you didn't resend, your incoming calls go to voice mail, cant establish a data connection even though the phone shows your connected to 1x and gmail wont push emails unless connected to wifi. And yes, the phone shows a data connection with 4 to 5 bars of signal strength.
    If you are a tech-savvy person and would visit forums dedicated to your phone of choice, then wouldn't that be a factor in choosing your device as well? I was on Verizon, contract up for months, considering waiting for the 3GS in summer of '09. But I also followed what was going on with the Pre, both at engadget and PreCentral. The enthusiasm and spirit of the community drew me in and I never looked back.

I love everything about the phone, though it is not without faults. I must tell you though, being a picky tech-user myself, I have never come across a device that is perfect. For all the things wrong with the Pre, it does so many more right. I've used friend's iphones before, and though it has a tendency to be less laggy, its not without fault. It is not a perfect device either, and nothing ever will be. It is really what we are willing to live with. I'll stick with the Pre and its cutting-edge software, even if it means a crash or lag here and there.
    If plan cost is the same..
    3gs pros: fast, simple, sturdy
    pre pros: multitasking, patching, fluid UI

Then again you could wait a little longer for the next apple and next pre. That's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc501 View Post
    Brian,

I believe you misread my post. I also had issues with my iphone but it wasnt until I dropped in water. I also never had any issues with my 2g btw. When I stated speed was a positive for the iphone. I was talking about opening basic phone apps and most other apps. iPhone is much faster and smoother. I've been a Pre owner and Sprint customer for about 2 months, my pre broke after 3 weeks of light use. Its frustrating when you need to make a call, you have 5 bars of signal and the call won't connect and finally after about a minute, it fails to connect. Or your txt messages fail but the recipient receives 2 even though you didn't resend, your incoming calls go to voice mail, cant establish a data connection even though the phone shows your connected to 1x and gmail wont push emails unless connected to wifi. And yes, the phone shows a data connection with 4 to 5 bars of signal strength.

Clarifying YOUR definiton of speed would seem logical for someone (the OP) looking for fair comparisons on phones. My iphone locked up after an update...no calls, no text, no apps, no nothing. It took several days to fix and I was without a phone during this period. Your Pre broke after 3 weeks of light use....others have had theirs since day one(1). My iphone problems have not been had by others. Your Pre issues have not been had by others.

Your issues with your pre sound like an issue people here have had, but not all. Seems more like either a service issue or defect, but before anyone quotes me I COULD BE WRONG. My iphone would do the same as your describing with your pre. I looked at it as a service issue.

Five(5) 0f my siblings have iphones. They all range from Califronia, to Maryland, to Florida, and Northern VA/DC. 3 out of 5 have had the same issues...their phone saying full service and yet couldnt get txts or calls or emails. 2 out of 5 all also say that they would have emails in their inbox that wouldnt show up for HOURS 0n their phone. I had the same issue with mine.

The Pre is far from superior to some phones (yet ). It fits my needs. So did the iphone at one point. However, both had issues. I apologize for the confusion on your definition of "speed". However, when someone (OP) asks me for their opinion based on experience with the phones , I will be as honest as possible. The iphone is great. Pre is great. Both has advantages over the other. However, what you;ve described above in my opinion cannot be blamed soley on the Pre...Ive had friends/family experience the same with the G1, Hero, Iphone, Blackberrys, dumb phones. All on other carriers. Again, what you describe above (call, text, email, etc. issues) seems to me like a service issue more than anything else.
  8.    #28  
    thanks for the continuing comments, i went and had a look at the pre instore again today (this time the battery was dead and no charger but atleast not a dummy phone), i am satisfied with that keyboard, i could type on it easily so with practice it will be more than fine for me. it was a fingerprint magnet as has been described, does that stop? i hate having prints and smears over my phone.

i don't really have anymore concerns, i'm going to get the pre (hopefully) this saturday and i will be straight on the onslaught with messing around
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil 237 View Post
    it was a fingerprint magnet as has been described
    Get the Touchstone back, it's got soft-touch rubber coating, so that solves the problem on the back.

As for the screen, I just left the plastic sheet that was on there in the package on there. I simply cut off the tab that's sticking out on the top, and leave it on as a screen protector. That doesn't collect fingerprints either.

Enjoy!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12