Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I recently got a Palm Pre and was/is amazed by how WebOS is such powerful tool. However recently I been getting tired of the Pre, and I am seriously thinking of switching over to the Tour.

I am currently using Sprint and they don't have any decent Andriod phones till HTC Bravo/Passion/Dragon comes out. HTC Hero just feels like crap compared to the Pre, and Samsung Moment has a worst battery life compared to the Pre.

So my question is has anyone switched to the Tour from the Pre, and how are they liking it compared to the Pre.

Thankss!!
    My wife has a Tour and I would NOT switch over, the ease of use and the multitasking are lightyears ahead of BB. Even though BB's have apps and video recording. I find it annoying navigating through all the menus, the apps are good but the Pres are/will be better. Dont make the switch. Be patient with Palm
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    My friend has a Tour and he likes it enough, but is looking to switch to the Pre or Storm 2. His main complaint was having to "scroll" through everything on the trackball. Personally I haven't owned a Tour (I did have a Storm though), but I think I would prefer to flick and touch (on a touchscreen) instead of scroll and click.

Also, with keyboard on the Pre may seem small, but you get used to it pretty quick!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'll tell you what you'll lose if you switch to the Tour.

1.Synergy
    2.Touchscreen
    3.Modern OS
    4.Actual Multi-Tasking (Not just running apps in the background)
    4.Threaded Messaging (IM and SMS in one conversation)
    5.Best notification system on a phone (At least to me)
    6.Ease of use

With the Blackberry you'll go back to a dated and slow OS with the constant hourglass symbol showing up (owned a curve 8900)

Your stuck with a non touch screen phone, just a scroll pad and then to choose to do something simple you'll have to use the BB button and navigate though a whole other menu.

Smaller screen, even if it is a little higher res 2.5 and 3.1 just don't compare at all.

The applications won't be as good (Trust me) It's like Beejive on BB vs Beejive on iPhone (iPhone wins)
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    My friend has a Tour and he likes it enough, but is looking to switch to the Pre or Storm 2. His main complaint was having to "scroll" through everything on the trackball. Personally I haven't owned a Tour (I did have a Storm though), but I think I would prefer to flick and touch (on a touchscreen) instead of scroll and click.

Also, with keyboard on the Pre may seem small, but you get used to it pretty quick!
    I agree with you I had a Touch Pro before, I always been a fan of a touch screen + QWERTY. Personally the keyboard doesn't bother me, it takes a day or so of texting to get use to it and eventually you'll make no error. I'll probably just go to Sprint over the weekend and play around with the Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1080p View Post
    I'll tell you what you'll lose if you switch to the Tour.

1.Synergy
    2.Touchscreen
    3.Modern OS
    4.Actual Multi-Tasking (Not just running apps in the background)
    4.Threaded Messaging (IM and SMS in one conversation)
    5.Best notification system on a phone (At least to me)
    6.Ease of use

With the Blackberry you'll go back to a dated and slow OS with the constant hourglass symbol showing up (owned a curve 8900)

The 8900 might be slow, but the Bold 9700 is faster than any other phone I have used. I suspect the Tour is somewhere in the middle. I am not sure what you think the difference between "Actual Multi-Tasking" and "just running apps in the background" is, perhaps you could enlighten me. Some of your other points are valid but you are a bit out of date on the Threaded messaging. 5.0 fully supports it and even supports threaded emails in for gmail accounts (and google contacts sync). The latest versions of the facebook client integrate well with the Blackberrys built in apps (Contacts, Calendar messaging etc).

The main thing you lose with the Blackberry is a good web browser. OTOH you gain great battery life and a device that works out of the box without any patches or a ton of third party apps.
    Yeah I bought a new Tour this morning on ebay. Otterbox Defender case too.

I had a very bad two weeks with the Pre, all five of them. Launch day died (a result of a dangerous patch I do believe), and the three refurbs Sprint gave me all had problems. The first had a ridiculously loose slider, the second had a totally washed out screen that wiggled (tight slider though), and the third had a loose slider too.

Sprint then gave me a brand new phone (warranty date code 11/09), and I was so appreciative I bought a new Plantronics Voyager Pro headset (after they agreed to 25% off) to go with it.

Night after night at work the headset wouldn't stay connected to the Pre, and on the second day the Pre's slider went goofy, resulting in as much play (and a click pop) as the others. The roughest treatment I gave it (the only thing I did to it) was to apply a BodyGuardz screen protector.

I got stupid and tried to fix the slider myself. I ended up breaking off the little tab on the left side. I might add that it took a lot of effort and dumb force to do this. The hilarious result is that my brand new Pre has a little play when closed, but no click pop anymore. The slider still opens and closes smoothly. The only noticeable difference is a gap the width of a credit card along the entire left side. Works perfect. Not a scratch on it, as long as you don't look under the battery.

I was going to file a claim with Ascurion, even called them up to tell them what I did. But after they requested that I fax a form and ID photo, I just started to think about paying another $100.00 for another Pre. It didn't make sense to me anymore.

My biggest issue, other than the above hardware nightmare, has been bluetooth volume from the Pre. The same Plantronics 510 that used to be wonderfully loud in my truck is not so paired with the Pre. Driving a tanker is my job and I spend a lot of hours in that noisy cab, chatting away. It is not pleasant with the Pre.

My two former Blackberries were noticeably louder with the same headset, and I will let you know how the Tour is in a few days. I'm looking forward to it.

Little things like the Calendar, Vlingo, Voice Memos, Memos LIST,and a Today screen are coming back to me also as fond memories.

The Pre's browser is the best, but I was really only interested in reading newspapers and RSS feeds on it. I was able to do that very well even on my tiny Blackberry Flip, thanks to the Blackberry system wide font adjustment. I hope my favorite BB newsreader, FreeRange, is still compatible. It was super fast even on Edge, and has its own built in browser. I'm anxious to try it on EVDO.

I hope the AP Mobile app still shows the photos completely full screen on the Tour, like it did on my Curve. It really allowed you to appreciate the photographer's work, not cluttering it up with buttons and bars like both the Pre and iPhone do.

I'll keep the Pre for at least a little while, comparing it to the Tour no doubt, now that I will have them both.

It's funny that CES is around the corner once again. You can bet that I will be watching for any new Palm hardware that might be announced.

Now I have to share this post by rambo47 with you, which I came upon just last night. It was dated January 5th, 2009, the day before CES, when the Pre was announced.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/1536416-post63.html

Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Sliders are tricky things as far as quality control goes. Nokia has had slider mobiles in their lineup for ages and it's still hit-or-miss with quality of the mechanism. With Palm operating at a zero tolerance level for mistakes, I find the slider form a curious choice. While the slide concept solves some problems, it opens up other issues and avenues for complaint. Wobbly sliders or loose ones can ruin the image of a mobile so fast it's scary. How many of the first batch will wobble slightly and start the complaining? These initial reviews are going to be crucial for sales as everyone pours through the reviews to make a buying decision. If they get a "meh" rating for QC sales will suffer. If sales suffer, well, we all know what happens to Palm then.
    I'll try and follow up jilu07, and good luck with YOUR decision.
    Last edited by galavanter; 12/10/2009 at 03:53 PM.