View Poll Results: Buy color Now or Wait?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy Prism

5 20.00%
  • Buy Palm M515

1 4.00%
  • Buy Palm M130

2 8.00%
  • Buy Clie T615c

9 36.00%
  • Wait for new Color Handspring

5 20.00%
  • Wait for new Color Handera

3 12.00%
  1.    #1  
    I want color now - I'm tired of waiting - Prism seems old, not impressed with Clie - the new Palm M515 is getting closer to what I want - but then what would I do with all my springboards? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by xstitcher; 02/28/2002 at 04:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Even though I voted to buy the t615, I suggest you wait. Wait until you're positive that handspring is not going to make the colour edge. If they do, consider that. If they don't you'll buy another colour pda for a lower price since prices seem to be dropping at a steady pace.

yellow
    Have to say Palm M130, best color Palm device for the money if you ask me.
    Waiting for the next unannounced product (like a possible color Edge) is frustrating, and sometimes proves to be futile! IF it ever comes out, it will probably be buggy for a while, have poor initial shipping and support, and be a lot later than expected (based on industry-wide history).

I like my Prism. For the money, I think I got the best possible deal for me- especially considering my investment in modles, etc. There was just no way I could justify the costs for a Sony, and I did not particularly like the Palms in the same cost brackets.

As for you- heck, I dunno! It depends on so many factors!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!

I personally think the new "color Visor"/"New Prism model" is a pipe dream.

However, if you're not impressed with the Clies, what is it about the m515 that is tempting you away from the Prism? Higher OS? 16-bit color?

And, are any of those things worth losing the Springboard modules you have?
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    . . .what is it about the m515 that is tempting you away from the Prism? Higher OS? 16-bit color?
    The allure of the 515 was the 16mb of memory. Today I had a chance to try out both the 515 and 130 at a CompUSA. I was very impressed with the screen on the 130 - I actually preferred it over the 515. The 515 was brighter but to my eyes not as sharp or clear. I tried the different settings and liked the contrast setting option. My hesitation in getting the 130 - memory 8mb, noticeably smaller screen and outdoor viewing. The one review I read on Brighthand said the 130 did OK outdoors except for very bright direct sunlight.

I would prefer the ability to keep using the modules - for me they are great enhancements rather than daily essentials - I could probably learn to adjust if the pda has all that I want.

I agree waiting for handsping is a pipe dream - just haven't been able to completely give it up just yet.
    Last edited by xstitcher; 03/04/2002 at 05:25 PM.
    Originally posted by xstitcher
    The allure of the 515 was the 16mb of memory.
    Hmmm... If memory is the issue, have you considered a FlashAdapter or MemPlug Springboard?

I used a FlashAdapter in conjunction their VFS software and LauncherIII, and moved all my apps out to the CF card. Loading was a bit slow, but not bad, and it freed up heaps of Visor memory.

When I moved to the Clie T615C, with 16MB of memory (OK, 15MB ), I bought a 128MB memory stick, and did the same thing -- moved rarely-used apps out to the memory stick. Now have about 8 MB free of Clie main memory, and could actually get quite a bit more free if I wanted to move other apps out there. So 16MB, while nice, hasn't been essential.

(Didn't know if the Prism display outdoors was also making you think of changing -- that one I have no solution for.)

I admit I've always been a fan of the Prism -- just trying to think of ways to keep you happy with it.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by xstitcher
    I want color now - I'm tired of waiting - Prism seems old, not impressed with Clie - the new Palm M515 is getting closer to what I want - but then what would I do with all my springboards? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    You could send them to me! <GRIN>

But in all seriousness - I too am hedging on the T615C vs waiting for the mythical Prism II/Color Edge due to the 3 springboards (Minijam, Eyemodule II, Presenter to GO) that I own.
    I want color now - I'm tired of waiting - Prism seems old, not impressed with Clie - the new Palm M515 is getting closer to what I want - but then what would I do with all my springboards?
    I am a poor college student (okay, high school senior, but have been admitted to college for the fall), using a Visor Deluxe (gift) and a stowaway keyboard (open item) with Wordsmith (free thanks to the great people at Blue Nomad!).

If you wanted to get rid of your springboards, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. Your precious springboards would still get use by a fellow VC member, and it would be helping someone gain an education (to use as a future Handspring worker? )

I would be more than happy to pay shipping and handling, and you could probably even write it off as a tax deduction

WELL, I CAN DREAM, CAN'T I!!!
    Okay...I know you won't give me your springboards (unless you are nice!) But it IS worth a shot...give me credit for trying!
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    I'm in no rush. I'll wait for them to come out with a new model or for the prices of the existing Prism to drop to an affordable level for me. The colur is nice to have though.
    MSN: mitch_sprague@hotmail.com
    YIM: MadMadMitch
    AIM: mitchateds