Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey, folks. Over the past few months that I've owned my Pre, it's been a silent love/hate relationship. I've never been the vocal Precentral poster to carry on about his every gripe and disappointment of the phone, but there are many shortcomings of the phone that I've shared with other users. While doing my daily reading of P.C., I would also start to take a look over and read Androidforums.com to see what users had to say about their experiences with phones on that platform. All-in-all, it is very comparable and what I've gathered is that generally speaking, forums posters typically represent the upper echelon of user which tends to be considerably more critical of products. That being the case, you can learn TONS (which I'm extremely grateful to precentral for), but you can't take forum posters as an accurate reflection of a sampling of the GENERAL user.

As far as the Pre, I do think that WebOS has a bright future and am very interested in seeing the platform mature, but I can't forgive Palm for the botched job they did on the Pre as far as the hardware and it's this which has pushed me over to buying a Hero. At just 5 months into a new contract, my phone felt like it was basically falling apart. Something that I've never experienced with any other cell phone that I've ever owned. Once that disappointment set in, then I also started looking at what was missing from the phone from a software perspective and decided that I believe I deserve more as a consumer....not as a purchaser of a 1.0 device, but as a consumer. I understand that the Pre is the first iteration of it's kind, but for as fast as this cell phone market develops, you've gotta bring your 'A' game when you come to the table. All-in-all, I think Palm presented the best device they could whilest being very pressured and financially racing against the clock.

I'm not going to take this time to name the Hero's accolades because there is another forum for that, but I will still visit this forum regularly as I didn't sell my Pre, I just did an ESN swap. So who knows...I just might have to pull out the old clunker some time in the future.

Cheers folks.
  2.    #2  
    Oops...excuse the error in the thread title...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I know you'd rather not state what you think about the Hero, but could you tell us a bit more about your transition?

For example, are you a bit more content?
  4.    #4  
    Sure thing Kedar. I'm not going to tout the Hero as god's gift just yet as I've just owned it a couple of days, but I can share a bit. Again, I'm not going into specifics because this wasn't intended as a Pre bashing/Hero praising post. I'll tell you this much, as of right now..I do miss the simplicity of WebOS..it is a very cohesive OS and things are very tightly intergrated. While, the Hero does have SOME of the same intergration, it is not to the same extent with the Hero. What you do gain in Android/Sense UI's favor is the ability the really customize the phone to what you want it to be. My early feeling is that customization will win out over tight intergration...and part of that is due to the access of readily available apps. I can tell you that in fact think I will end up being more content. This phone from what I can tell so far, serves more of my IMMEDIATE needs <knocking on wood>.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Alot of pre owners are jumping ship for the hero or the moment! I also jumped ship a few weeks ago for the hero! Palm doesn't see that it's an on going thing, lot of unhappy customers.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I would say it would have been better to wait until webOS 2.0 came out. If the platform isn't up to your standards by then, ditch it. The hardware issues you were having.. well, a lot of people have those but Sprint is REALLY good at making sure you have a solid phone. If you take advantage of that anyway. I've exchanged my Pre numerous times and I'm on Pre #4. While that sounds tedious, I'm pretty happy about that and I've noticed a big difference in quality over my first Pre to my newest one.

Palm is making changes to it's hardware and the Pre I have now is solid. My advice to those with hardware issues, take it to Sprint and get another one! If that one isn't up to your standards, keep taking it back until you have one you're satisfied with.

If you're not happy with the software, give it until at least 2.0 before making any serious consideration about getting a new phone. I think webOS is great right now and everyday developers are filling in the gaps left out by Palm and we all know Palm is always working towards improving our webOS experience everyday.

Understand the risk involved with buying not only a 1.0 device but also one that came in late in the game and has some big shoes to fill with regards to current touchscreen smartphones.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7.    #7  
    ...it's funny you say that...the Sprint rep that sold me the phone told me the same exact thing. Also when you look at the review ratings on Sprint's site, you see by and large, most Hero owners are happy with their devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    Alot of pre owners are jumping ship for the hero or the moment! I also jumped ship a few weeks ago for the hero! Palm doesn't see that it's an on going thing, lot of unhappy customers.
    I think palm sees but there is nothing they can do, they released the pre early to beat the 3gs to the market and have not had he resources to get the pre up to par as quickly as they had hoped.
    Not all HTC owners are happy, it seems this owners's phone has alot of naggy glitches and issues , read about it in this thread:
    Another fed up user... - Android Forums

Heard this before? I reason I am posting this is not to rag on Fyahstarter, but because no device is perfect, everyone has different needs and wants and what irks some people does not bother others. My pre works fine, no oreo effect, no cracked screens, 6 months now and I feel it is a dependable phone that meets my needs. With the help of this forum I now have installed preware and have tweaked my pre to better meet my needs.

Maybe with the HTC forum they can help this Hero owner enjoy his phone work out his issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Not all HTC owners are happy, it seems this owners's phone has alot of naggy glitches and issues , read about it in this thread:

Heard this before? I reason I am posting this is not to rag on Fyahstarter, but because no device is perfect, everyone has different needs and wants and what irks some people does not bother others. My pre works fine, no oreo effect, no cracked screens, 6 months now and I feel it is a dependable phone that meets my needs. With the help of this forum I now have installed preware and have tweaked my pre to better meet my needs.

Maybe with the HTC forum they can help this Hero owner enjoy his phone work out his issues.
    Well... I had the Sprint Hero for just over a month and bought a Pre from ebay back in November after trying one at the Sprint store. After testing the 2, I just fell in love with the Pre and WebOS. The Hero just gave me such a headache with it's lag, poor reception, dialing issues, and slow web browser.
    The Pre is just the right phone for me and for someone else it's the Hero. I'm Glad there is a lot of choices out there.
    My opinion of phones is this: everyone is going to find things wrong with certain phones. Its a simple, it all new tech and everything just requires time. Whether its the pre or hero or anyother phone for that matter. To each is own. But a piece of advice when buying a phone get one that is tailored to your needs and for updates and tweaks its just waiting and how patient you can be for those changes.
    My two cents thanks
    Good luck with your new phone. I would have chosen a BBerry before choosing the Hero. Maybe you just wanted an Android device cause the Hero is not a very good device. The OS is a mature OS but this particular device is just not up to par for me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    "At just 5 months into a new contract" You used the Pre for 5 months. How long have you used the Hero? Not as long.. Come back in 5 months and tell us how much more you love the Hero over the Pre.

I'm not ragging on you but you should have expected replies like this talking about switching from a Pre to a Hero on a Pre forum..
  14.    #14  
    Hey Boysen...Again, in no way am I trying to rain on anyone's parade as far as their experience with their phones. I personally after 3 Pres decided to move on. I did a ton of research on the Hero b4 I pulled the trigger, but I can honestly say that right now I've got the programs that I need loaded on the Hero and it has so far proven to be less laggy and the web browser for whatever reason seems to be faster over EVDO than on wifi (go figure). Again, I might be cursing this phone to all hell in a few months...it really is early, but for right now I am satisfied. Where we can definitely agree is that you've gotta celebrate having options.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    "At just 5 months into a new contract" You used the Pre for 5 months. How long have you used the Hero? Not as long.. Come back in 5 months and tell us how much more you love the Hero over the Pre.

I'm not ragging on you but you should have expected replies like this talking about switching from a Pre to a Hero on a Pre forum..
    Agreed.
    I've been waiting for months now to switch but I bought my pre off contract and will be eligible for an upgrade in mid feb. so I am going to wait. 2 months if no gpu support, flash, or video recorder are out by then I am gone. Actually if no other devices come out I will accept 2 out of those 3 but I can not continue to support a company for more than a year and not be able to use all of the hardware that I paid for and not see the flash that was originally said to be here in oct. Maybe in a few years web OS will be great but I can not wait anymore I gave that a chance already and its not going so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyahstarter View Post
    Hey, folks. Over the past few months that I've owned my Pre, it's been a silent love/hate relationship. I've never been the vocal Precentral poster to carry on about his every gripe and disappointment of the phone, but there are many shortcomings of the phone that I've shared with other users. While doing my daily reading of P.C., I would also start to take a look over and read Androidforums.com to see what users had to say about their experiences with phones on that platform. All-in-all, it is very comparable and what I've gathered is that generally speaking, forums posters typically represent the upper echelon of user which tends to be considerably more critical of products. That being the case, you can learn TONS (which I'm extremely grateful to precentral for), but you can't take forum posters as an accurate reflection of a sampling of the GENERAL user.

As far as the Pre, I do think that WebOS has a bright future and am very interested in seeing the platform mature, but I can't forgive Palm for the botched job they did on the Pre as far as the hardware and it's this which has pushed me over to buying a Hero. At just 5 months into a new contract, my phone felt like it was basically falling apart. Something that I've never experienced with any other cell phone that I've ever owned. Once that disappointment set in, then I also started looking at what was missing from the phone from a software perspective and decided that I believe I deserve more as a consumer....not as a purchaser of a 1.0 device, but as a consumer. I understand that the Pre is the first iteration of it's kind, but for as fast as this cell phone market develops, you've gotta bring your 'A' game when you come to the table. All-in-all, I think Palm presented the best device they could whilest being very pressured and financially racing against the clock.

I'm not going to take this time to name the Hero's accolades because there is another forum for that, but I will still visit this forum regularly as I didn't sell my Pre, I just did an ESN swap. So who knows...I just might have to pull out the old clunker some time in the future.

Cheers folks.

thank you.. that is a mature way of saying ur unhappy with the pre and going to the hero to see how it goes..now i can respect that.. so many people try to start crap when saying the pre suck the hero is where its at etc.. thank you for being mature. and good luck with the hero..me im a fan of wm so might pick up a tp2 in feb.just to try it out..but im not getting rid of my pre. to many good things to come next year..I hope that is...
    This is all I have to say about people disappointed in Palm. Is the pre hardware perfect? No. But its pretty freaking good, IMO. I have no issues other than its a bit 'loose' when closed, but its not bad. Maybe I'm lucky, but whatever, like I said its my opinion. The pixi hardware is awesome. No questions, I love that phone. I'd have it if it had the higher resolution and wifi. WebOS is great. Awesome, easy to use, intuitive, a real amazing thing to use on a phone. So amazing I got my wife the pixi as her first ever smartphone, and have almost never had to explain or help her with it. She isn't into tech, and she really loves the phone.

The pre as first run hardware could be a bit better, but webOS is too awesome to pass on. The pixi, if it works for you with no wifi and slighty smaller resolution, is a truly awesome phone. I will definitely get the next generation 'pre' when it comes out.

Good luck to anyone who switches from webOS, you'll probably need it.
    its nice to see posts like this. You did the right thing by giving an honest opinion and giving facts that support it. I for one love my Pre, but sometimes miss my old faithful BB Curve. All in all this is an amazing phone, by no means perfect, but some people don't realize just how far cell phones have come.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyahstarter View Post
    Agreed.
    I can relate with you. There have been a few times I thought "Maybe I should just get a Blackberry.. or an HTC.."

I decided just to suck it up and wait til webOS 2.0. Accept these shortcomings as not only the phone being brand new but also that I personally just have REALLY high expectations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast