1.    #1  
    I'm currently using a BlackBerry Curve, but before that I was a Treo 650/700p user and loved the days I had with Palm. The only reason I switched to BlackBerry was because I wanted something new and exciting and Palm was still pushing the same OS they had for years. As far as the BB OS goes, it's not exciting. BlackBerry Messenger is neat, but other than that, there's nothing to brag about.

I've been itching for something new to play with, and while I was salivating over the Pre, the Hero came out. Now I can't decide. One thing I haven't found on any other threads is that I'm an Apple user and have all my PIM data stored on my Mac. My calendar is uploaded on way to Google Calendar, but the Address Book is stuck on my Mac. If I did go to the Hero, or it seems like the best move, I could move everything to Google.

My main concern with the Pre is the quality of the hardware and the app store. I'm hoping the app store will grow whenever Palm is ready to pull the switch, so I'm willing to wait on that. The hardware does concern me. I've read of too many issues with the slider and screen.

The Hero has a new OS and (from what I've heard) a lot of apps for it. It doesn't have any onboard memory, so I'd have to buy a sd card. I have heard of some hardware issues with the paint, but that's about it. There's also not as big a community. I've looked around on androidcentral.com and there's hardly any discussions going on over there. I love TreoCentral and got a lot of information from them.

Now, I would prefer the iPhone, but since it's not on Sprint, these are my two choices. Or should I just wait a bit longer and see what comes out. I've been itching for something new for a while. I hope y'all can help set my mind straight.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have tried both the Pre and Hero, and I must say that I think the Pre and WebOS are totally awesome! The Hero seems to be solidly built, and I do like that they have a bunch of apps (many free), but the design, multitasking capabilities, and one handed control of the Pre make a big difference. I also like having a built in keyboard. I always use a leather case on my belt and keep my phone on vibrate, the vibrate on the Hero is really weak, I missed many calls.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Hero is solidly built , but the software pales in comparison with WebOS.
    I had both.
    Pre beats the Hero in Multitasking UI, Browser and Keyboard.
    Hero is beats Pre in the following features voice activated dialing, voice activated searching and camcorder.

At the end of the day , I decided to keep Pre, since browser performance and multitasking are a must for me.

Go to SPRINT store and test both devices before you buy.
    Hero will get a 2.1 update if not already. Maybe wait and see.

It's really hard to say which is best for you. Even if you like this or that feature vs another. You really have to try them out..
    I love my Pre, as well as does my husband. But we've been eyeing the Hero. It looks liek a pretty cool phone and it seems to be getting good feedback.

That's a tough choice, adn I'm afraid the only experience I have is with the Pre, but if it's worth anything, I love it.
    i like the UI better and the real keyboard. big decision makers for me.

i just got my pre (again) on the 1st of December and the build quality is a lot better then the first two i had. still a little wobble in the slider but looking at how they locked it in place, it seems to be more solid. doubt it will be an issue, i just dont sit there and twist it.

that and we have Patches!!! and Homebrews that dont freeze your phone!!!
    Your a mac user? Then you should have no issue switching to AT&T and paying more for crappier service so you can get your precious apple product - you should be use to stuff like that by now.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    My wife and I have both got Pre's, but are making the switch fully to the Hero. After having a demo of the Hero for a while, we both like the solidity of the hardware, and the OS. The Pre is a great device, just not geared for what we want. The one thing that MIGHT have made us stick with the Pre would be if it didn't have a plastic coating on the screen that scratched easily. The Hero has straight glass and is extremely easy to wipe fingerprints off of as well.
    I have the Pre and my girlfriend just got the Hero. There was that short period of extreme jealousy as I was messing with the Hero and looking at all the features and settings, just like whenever I get something new. But I still enjoy owning the Pre.

In all honesty, I probably would be saying the exact opposite if I owned the Hero and my GF got the Pre. They are both really good phones.

Pre:
    - beautiful UI
    - multitasking (at times can be laggy, but will only get better with updates)
    - physical keyboard (big plus in my book)
    - Touchstone charger
    - feels good in the hand

Hero:
    - countless app in the Android Market
    - I've heard it's dev/hack friendly (being that it's Google)
    - cool widgets that can be customized on the 7 "pages" of the home screen
    - visual voicemail
    - can actually get a decent case since it doesn't have any sliding parts
    I'll add this as well.

The Pre has some things you'll probably love but just don't know it yet. Touchstone in car was pretty cool..even better with BT car stereo. Streaming pandora, using gps, works great.

Multitasking. Can't be said enough.

Notifications at bottom that just appear when on touchstone. Not sure about Hero..never had one.

Homebrew and patches. Especially patches.

Integrated messaging that includes both IMs and text.

Works well with google gmail, calendar, googlevoice.

Screen is sharp. Text is fuzzy on an iphone compared to the Pre. As an iphone user, this will be something that i look at next upgrade for sure and could leave the iphone over if they stick with the same screen. Dumb as that sounds.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I have the Pre and my girlfriend just got the Hero. There was that short period of extreme jealousy as I was messing with the Hero and looking at all the features and settings, just like whenever I get something new. But I still enjoy owning the Pre.

In all honesty, I probably would be saying the exact opposite if I owned the Hero and my GF got the Pre. They are both really good phones.

Pre:
    - beautiful UI
    - multitasking (at times can be laggy, but will only get better with updates)
    - physical keyboard (big plus in my book)
    - Touchstone charger
    - feels good in the hand

Hero:
    - countless app in the Android Market
    - I've heard it's dev/hack friendly (being that it's Google)
    - cool widgets that can be customized on the 7 "pages" of the home screen
    - visual voicemail
    - can actually get a decent case since it doesn't have any sliding parts
    And don't forget, Hero has different "scenes" to go with work or play, socializing, etc. And visual voicemail ROCKS!
    Last edited by jye75; 12/02/2009 at 10:12 AM.
    I have had both the Pre & the Hero. I was hoping that after 4 Pre's, Sprint would let me swap to the Hero. No such luck, so the Hero had to go back.

Here are the notes that I made comparing both:

Dull Geek: HTC Hero vs Palm Pre
    Dull Geek: Re: HTC Hero vs Palm Pre

I tried hard to get Sprint to let me swap the Hero for the Pre, but they wouldn't budge. I miss a few things from the Hero:
    • Voice search
    • Video
    • Visual Voicemail

But I've become more content with my Pre.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I love the Hero. It does everything I need it to do. I really love the Hero's UI. The Android Market has tons of useful apps. You can customize the phone any way you want. The Hero has minor bugs that will be fixed with Android 2.1. The Hero just works!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    i just bought the hero i should get it around Friday.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Your a mac user? Then you should have no issue switching to AT&T and paying more for crappier service so you can get your precious apple product - you should be use to stuff like that by now.
    Wow. Sounds like someone's got a chip on their shoulder.

And as much as I like the build and ease of use of the iPhone, along with the many apps, I will not switch to AT&T. I've had them in the past, when they were the best deal around, but their service was not anywhere near what it should be. Now with Sprint's plans, and my discount, Sprint is about 30% less expensive than AT&T...along with the added benefit of having great service.

Now if the iPhone came to Sprint, that would be a different story. It's actually a pretty good price for what you get.
    All said, you can't go wrong with either the Pre or the Hero. But keep in mind that opinions will most likely be biased towards the Pre since this website is called Precentral.