Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...that the IT media raves about and thinks will be such a huge mass market success?

My uncle picked up a Droid a week ago and he has been machine-gunning me with calls for help ever since. Now, we're talking about a man who is a bright, shrewd businessman but was confused by the two X's on Windows (the X for close and the X for delete). So, I got my hands on his Droid over the weekend to see for myself and I was surprised at how unintuitive this smartphone was. I could figure things out, but only after pocking around. A lot of poking around. And the physical keyboard was a head-scratcher. It's so smooth as to provide almost zero tactile feedback.

Bottom line: I could get up to speed on a Droid in a couple of hours, but I got up to speed on WebOS and iPhone in a couple of minutes. What I do not understand is why the reviews of the Droid are so positive? Because it's an app developer's dream? Because of its multimedia potential? Because its functionality leapfrogs the market? Or have I simply been so spoiled by the WebOS that I cannot see the obvious?

Lawrence
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    A monolith sized marketing budget?
    It only took me a couple of minutes to figure out the ins and outs of the Moment, what is so cryptic about Android 2.0?
    because they attacked the iphone?
    I had a friend who just returned one because he hated the OS.

IT guys love it because it is loaded with stuff and as mentioned, there is a big budget. I think it will be a mediocre success or maybe a failure based on how much Verizon is putting into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    ...that the IT media raves about and thinks will be such a huge mass market success?

My uncle picked up a Droid a week ago and he has been machine-gunning me with calls for help ever since. Now, we're talking about a man who is a bright, shrewd businessman but was confused by the two X's on Windows (the X for close and the X for delete). So, I got my hands on his Droid over the weekend to see for myself and I was surprised at how unintuitive this smartphone was. I could figure things out, but only after pocking around. A lot of poking around. And the physical keyboard was a head-scratcher. It's so smooth as to provide almost zero tactile feedback.

Bottom line: I could get up to speed on a Droid in a couple of hours, but I got up to speed on WebOS and iPhone in a couple of minutes. What I do not understand is why the reviews of the Droid are so positive? Because it's an app developer's dream? Because of its multimedia potential? Because its functionality leapfrogs the market? Or have I simply been so spoiled by the WebOS that I cannot see the obvious?

Lawrence
    Large, high rez screen.
  7. JSX
    Because they have a top notch ad campaign and the Pre has that spooky Palm Pre Girl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It only took me a couple of minutes to figure out the ins and outs of the Moment, what is so cryptic about Android 2.0?
    Hey Elysian, how's that Moment coming along for you? Are you happy with it? I know u've had it for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hey Elysian, how's that Moment coming along for you? Are you happy with it? I know u've had it for a while now.
    I have? How come I wasn't aware of this? I'm still trying to get rid of my brand new Pre, no bites yet, too many people selling them for near contract price, I'm not prepared to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I have? How come I wasn't aware of this? I'm still trying to get rid of my brand new Pre, no bites yet, too many people selling them for near contract price, I'm not prepared to do that.
    Oh. I coulda sworn i've seen you talk about having the Moment, or maybe it was the Hero.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/30/2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Oh. I coulda sworn i've seen you talk about having the Moment, or maybe it was the Hero.
    Nope.
    I think the Droid appeals to folks that already have smartphone experience. After putting up with the un-intuitiveness of Windows Mobile, the restrictions of Blackberry OS, the limitations of PalmOS, or the missing capabilities of the iPhone, the Droid satisfies those users who have already made the smartphone jump and are looking for more - that works.

Simpler smartphones like the iPhone and the Pre appeal to those coming from feature phones and regular phones that want to see what all this smartphone buzz is about, but don't want to invest any time with a more complex device. The also appeal to folks who are too busy to deal with a "highly reconfigurable" device and prefer something to be understandable/usable right out of the box.

That's one theory, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    Because they have a top notch ad campaign and the Pre has that spooky Palm Pre Girl?
    2nd
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts

Lawrence

I think there are still a large portion of smartphone users who have low expectations and high pain thresholds in terms of usability. To me, the iPhone and Pre are awesome because they do more with less complexity. I remember the first time I used an iPhone thinking that someone finally gave a crap about interface design of a phone, and it was intuitive and just worked. It stood in stark contrast to my then-current Moto Razor, which did less and had a hideous, unintuitive hardware/software interface. Whoever designed that interface either did not care, or did not have any talent, or maybe both. Sadly, I think there are still phone hardware/software designers and customers who fall into that category. Those are the folks who will be OK with a Droid -- because they don't really know to expect more, or to expect a better experience.

I think there is another group that is flocking to the Droid, and that's the Linuxy nerds for whom the tech specs are attractive (screen, keyboard) and who don't really care about design and usability. If you look at the hardware design of the Droid, it's obvious they were not trying to have the sort of mass market consumer appeal that devices like iPhone, Pre, and Pixi possess. Hard corners, squared off features, lots of buttons, stickers, graphics (like I really need the camera specs tattooed right next to the lens?) and so on. Some people like that. I hate it -- screams "appliance" to me.

BTW, it's not an app developer's dream and I don't see that much multimedia potential (not close to iPhone at least). To me, the main innovation with Droid is the high-res screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    A monolith sized marketing budget?
    For sure. Kazillion dollar marketing budget. Also, the lack of a creepy girl ad campaign that doesn't work at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't make any sense and equated to FAIL in marketing. Palm could've/should've done so much better~!!!!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    3rd...their campaign is slick and makes you want to go out and grab one to see it, not just guess at what the hell this juggler in the park is doing...
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    screen, camera, and FM. - honestly after reviewing the moment, hero, and other androids I agree that the UI, and software doesnt hold up. If i was in the market for a "smart'' smartphone - as much as i hate to say it the Touch Pro 2 seems like hardware worth looking into. I have streamed slingbox over one seamlessly, along with the remote desktop is flawless. p.s. Have you seen that keyboard?! Huge!

But I still have my pre! The form factor and weight are just a little much for me on the TP2.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    "Potential" needs to be realized in order be taken seriously. And as much as some people may love WebOS, everything about it has barely evolved since its release.

Right now then I still prefer WebOS over Android, but I don't blame anyone for being excited for Android. Android is constantly improving while Palm went from being an innovator to playing catchup so IF Palm fails to grab more marketshare then they can only blame themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    "Potential" needs to be realized in order be taken seriously. And as much as some people may love WebOS, everything about it has barely evolved since its release.

Right now then I still prefer WebOS over Android, but I don't blame anyone for being excited for Android. Android is constantly improving while Palm went from being an innovator to playing catchup so IF Palm fails to grab more marketshare then they can only blame themselves.
    ^What Urkel said^
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast