Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Visor Edge and Handspring in general has been a big disappointment for me. I used to love their units, and I saw how they were superior to Palm units, and I still do love how the Edge looks, but it just doesn't work!

Anyway, I'm thinking hard for a replacement. Thinking Sony, but not sure. I've got a deal for a IIIc, keyboard, and m105 for my Edge, but I can't sync any with Mac without spending more money. I'm also considering a S360, and morely a T415, since the price has dropped lower. Any ideas guys? Don't have too much cash as usual... Thanks in advance!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Which mac (does it have USB)?

Let's talk handera for a moment. Though ugly, it has the best thought out design with the most features and a good price. It's more than high res and collapsible graffiti that make it a good device, it's battery power, expansion abilities, flash RAM, speed, voice recording, compatibility with existing accessories, etc. For the first time, I have been spending time figuring out how to implement my pda's potential rather than lamenting its shortcomings.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Plus, D-R gets 15%! ...

...then again, it won't be long before I'm worse with the Treo than he with the Handera...
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Let's talk handera for a moment. Though ugly, it has the best thought out design with the most features and a good price. It's more than high res and collapsible graffiti that make it a good device, it's battery power, expansion abilities, flash RAM, speed, voice recording, compatibility with existing accessories, etc. For the first time, I have been spending time figuring out how to implement my pda's potential rather than lamenting its shortcomings.
    I have to agree. If I were going Monochrome this would definately be my first choice.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Seriously, I also agree. if you're going mono, the only way to beat the Handera is to make a thinner device. In all other respects is pounds on the competition.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    ...then again, it won't be long before I'm worse with the Treo than he with the Handera...
    I hate advocating my own device as it compromises my appearance of objectivity, but it rather makes sense if the device is suiting my needs better than the one before it. This wasn't the case with the prism, could've been the case with the edge, and was all but the case with the m500. It is unequivocally the case with the handera.

Regarding the treo, it would probably be a consideration for me if
    1. I had GSM
    2. I cared about cell phones (when I'm alone, I like it that way)
    3. It had some better cell phone implementations (e.g. removeable battery) - or
    4. It were cheaper

For me, those flaws are fatal. The handera's flaws (serial connection, no vibrating alarm, ugliness) are incidental, either because they have unexpected benefits such as the ability to use existing peripherals, or because they didn't increase my functionality when I had them.

IOW, supposing quality construction - which I have seen no reason to question, this will be my only device for many moons.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 02/25/2002 at 11:30 PM.
    -Joshua
    Regarding the treo, it would probably be a consideration for me if
    1. I had GSM
    2. I cared about cell phones (when I'm alone, I like it that way)
    3. It had some better cell phone implementations (e.g. removeable battery) - or
    4. It were cheaper
    Luckily, for me:
    1. I'm a city boy. I don't like them sticks.
    2. I like-a the wireless, and when I want to be alone, I turn it off. note: this also works with television
    3. I'm near an outlet at least 1 hour a day (although I was pretty worried about this one, let me tell you... and I may yet have a problem...)
    4. Luck.
    There will never be an edge replacement from Handspring. Clies are nice though.
  9.    #9  

I have a PowerMac G4, so I wouldn't worry about serial interface or something. I had considered the HandEra 330, but it's just too expensive for me. I don't want to spend too much. Want to save some money to later buy a T615. I think I'm gonna go for an old IIIxe and fix it up nice, hehe.

I'd invest everything I had in a Treo if my mom would let me get a cell phone. Not reallie, hehe. It seems nice, but who knows. I'm just very disappointed in the Edge...
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Seriously, I also agree. if you're going mono, the only way to beat the Handera is to make a thinner device. In all other respects is pounds on the competition.
    You mean, like the Clie t415?

Hey, for $250 I've even considered one as an Edge replacement. Too bad my washing machine decided to die first.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    You mean, like the Clie t415?
    Exactly, with collapsible grafitti, voice recording, dual industry standard expansion, etc. Just like the clie 415.
    -Joshua
  12.    #12  
    I never really stopped to consider the feature set of the HandEra, sounds great. It just looks soooo ugly! Aesthetics are a big thing for me, I want functionality, but I wanna look cool at the same time. With that, it's out of the question. The Clie T415 looks great, and it still has a lot of functionality, depends on the user. Some people don't need voice recording, so much memory, and they need/want color. It's up to the user.

Though, I'll have to say the HandEra implementation of High-Res is terrible compared to Sony's. The support of low-res apps is terrible. When the screen is 3 inches tall, I wouldn't want to waste ANY space because the PDA doesn't know how to handle it. Though collapsable graffiti would be nice...It's all good..
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    ...It just looks soooo ugly! Aesthetics are a big thing for me...
    Then the handera may not be for you. It does not pull a handsome cap. My first purchase was a nice leather case, but for someone whose main consideration is looks, that's rather like putting a paper sack over an ugly wom...nevermind.

Though, I'll have to say the HandEra implementation of High-Res is terrible compared to Sony's.
    That is debatable. Handera's implementation is easier to implement than Sony's (with an admittedly poorer fall-back option), and having a quarter vga screen when the graffiti area is reduced makes more sense than 320 x 426 1/3. Were developers to run with it, it'd be incredibly versatile.
    -Joshua
    Here's a nice and pretty one. Cheap, MP3, Wireless, keyboard, expandable, and much, much more. Available now to impress your friends. No hires though, what a bummer.
    If you want something pretty, get a case, I have more fun showing people the utility and ability to watch the Simpsons on my iPAQ, is my iPAQ ugly? Heck yes, but I don't really mind.

But if you really need a pretty PDA, I'd say go for a Sony T615, or if you're looking to save money, an S360.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Here's a nice and pretty one. Cheap, MP3, Wireless, keyboard, expandable, and much, much more. Available now to impress your friends. No hires though, what a bummer.
    Cybiko is pretty cool, wanted one since the first versions, but I just don't have the money, and it couldn't possibly replace the PIM feature set of a PalmOS PDA...oh well
    nelson.hsieh
  17.    #17  
    Then the handera may not be for you. It does not pull a handsome cap. My first purchase was a nice leather case, but for someone whose main consideration is looks, that's rather like putting a paper sack over an ugly wom...nevermind.

That is debatable. Handera's implementation is easier to implement than Sony's (with an admittedly poorer fall-back option), and having a quarter vga screen when the graffiti area is reduced makes more sense than 320 x 426 1/3. Were developers to run with it, it'd be incredibly versatile.
    LOL, I would use a HandEra device on long road trips and stuff, I'm sure it would work well. But I don't have that kinda cash...It sounds great, just as the TRGPro has, and I would get one, as a secondary PDA, but :sigh: no money. Haha, an ugly worm, you're bagging on your own device.

I dunno, it just seems HandEra is not as backwards compatible with 160x160 apps. Either way, the high-res specific written apps are great. Maybe Sony and HandEra could work together to develop a great high-res kinda standard
    nelson.hsieh
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    If you want something pretty, get a case, I have more fun showing people the utility and ability to watch the Simpsons on my iPAQ, is my iPAQ ugly? Heck yes, but I don't really mind.

But if you really need a pretty PDA, I'd say go for a Sony T615, or if you're looking to save money, an S360.
    The iPAQ is probably the ultimate "show-off" machine, but you know, I need to be able to use it too, for what I buy a PDA for. It can do a lot to impress the ladies, but so can a Visor Edge. "It's sooo cute! You should call it Mr Silver. And call your graph calc Ms Silver. They should get together." Hehe, a quote from a girl. Too bad the marriage didn't work...

All the way dude! Can't afford the T615 quite yet though...thought about the S360, but its not quite as nice. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for fixing up a IIIxe (clear casing, flip cover, etc) but I dunno. I'll tell ya guys, and I'll post pics if I fix it up!
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    Here's a nice and pretty one. [...]
    I do hope you're joking. That thing is uglier than the Handera.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    If you want something pretty, get a case, I have more fun showing people the utility and ability to watch the Simpsons on my iPAQ, is my iPAQ ugly? Heck yes, but I don't really mind. [...]
    huh? Unless you put a sleeve on it (which definitely kills its looks), the iPaq is definitely not ugly.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast