Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    Check this out :

    Multifl0w project teaches Apple a thing or two about iPhone multitasking -- Engadget Mobile

    Looks like our webOS cards-style multitasking has garnered enough interest in the iPhone hacking community to scare up a bonafide imitator
  2. #2  
    it look like there just screen captures, there not live cards. I'd like to see them run more then one web browser at the same time.
  3. #3  
    When someone does it on an Apple product it's not imitation it's a brand new feature never before seen anywhere else!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juan Juice View Post
    it look like there just screen captures, there not live cards. I'd like to see them run more then one web browser at the same time.
    Why? Doesn't Safari have tabs?
  5. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    When someone does it on an Apple product it's not imitation it's a brand new feature never before seen anywhere else!
    +1, lol. I'm waiting for the Apple patent.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juan Juice View Post
    it look like there just screen captures, there not live cards. I'd like to see them run more then one web browser at the same time.
    Safari has long had multi-page browsing capabilities, so not sure where you're getting this from. In fact, their Safari cards predated WebOS.

    While iPhone is limited to being able to multitask core apps, you have to realize that the 3GS is so responsive and snappy that you can hit the homescreen and start up apps quicker than WebOS can switch between several cards that are already open.

    No, there's no neato swiping away, but if you value speed and efficiency over style, Pre is the one lagging as far as multitasking, not iPhone.

    Palm's got the idea right. Perfect, even. They just need to be able to deliver an out-of-the-box Pre that doesn't lag, lets you keep many cards open for long periods of time, and is more responsive than the current iteration. Then the implementation will be up to par with the idea of WebOS multitasking.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    When someone does it on an Apple product it's not imitation it's a brand new feature never before seen anywhere else!
    Only because Palm doesn't advertise it When Apple does something cool they tell (and show) the masses..
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Safari has long had multi-page browsing capabilities, so not sure where you're getting this from. In fact, their Safari cards predated WebOS.

    While iPhone is limited to being able to multitask core apps, you have to realize that the 3GS is so responsive and snappy that you can hit the homescreen and start up apps quicker than WebOS can switch between several cards that are already open.

    No, there's no neato swiping away, but if you value speed and efficiency over style, Pre is the one lagging as far as multitasking, not iPhone.

    Palm's got the idea right. Perfect, even. They just need to be able to deliver an out-of-the-box Pre that doesn't lag, lets you keep many cards open for long periods of time, and is more responsive than the current iteration. Then the implementation will be up to par with the idea of WebOS multitasking.
    I doubt that will happen until Palm starts using more powerful processors(like Snapdragon)... I just don't see it with the current 500mhz processor.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I doubt that will happen until Palm starts using more powerful processors(like Snapdragon)... I just don't see it with the current 500mhz processor.
    3GS uses the same processor. They just had their software together from day one, and when it outgrew the hardware implementation (e.g. iPhone 3.0 software on an iPhone 3G), they released new hardware to restore the smoothness.

    Palm has yet to catch up to their hardware six months later, and has shown no signs that they will in the near future. Who knows where the market will be by the time they do?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    3GS uses the same processor. They just had their software together from day one, and when it outgrew the hardware implementation (e.g. iPhone 3.0 software on an iPhone 3G), they released new hardware to restore the smoothness.

    Palm has yet to catch up to their hardware six months later, and has shown no signs that they will in the near future. Who knows where the market will be by the time they do?
    I'm not a Pre defender, as I see the appeal of the iPhone, Hero and other options. However, the iPhone didn't update their hardware within six months - they're on a one-year update cycle. Expecting a new version in six months is a bit unrealistic.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  11. #11  
    I hate Apple and there damn IPHONE. It just makes me so mad because I can already see the marketing scheme "Iphone First Phone Ever To Multitask". Funny thing is 80% of iphone user will believe that to be a true statement. I was using WM smart phones 3 years before the first iphone was released. My first WM phone did more back then compared to the iphone 3gs does now but the iphone is so revolutionary.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I'm not a Pre defender, as I see the appeal of the iPhone, Hero and other options. However, the iPhone didn't update their hardware within six months - they're on a one-year update cycle. Expecting a new version in six months is a bit unrealistic.
    That wasn't my point at all. Palm doesn't need to release a new handset until they've caught up with the guts of the Pre. New hardware will just bring a new set of problems if WebOS remains unfinished.

    As it stands now, the Pre lags both the Droid and the iPhone 3GS in smoothness and responsiveness, not to mention screen real estate. If new Apple and Android sets arrive with even BETTER specs in the next 6 months, the Pre will be a full generation behind. That's a shame considering it had the best internal guts on the market when it launched in early June of this year. Palm really needs to bring the OS performance to match their hardware. Apple seems to do it from day one. Android does now too starting with the Hero/Droid generation.
  13. strudel's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    While iPhone is limited to being able to multitask core apps, you have to realize that the 3GS is so responsive and snappy that you can hit the homescreen and start up apps quicker than WebOS can switch between several cards that are already open
    No you can't. I did a little test, opened up 14 apps and was able to cycle through them in about 5 seconds. I highly doubt you can switch apps that fast on the iPhone. Advanced gestures = application switching as fast as you can swipe across the gesture area

    On a side note I don't care how fast apps open and close if I can't run Pandora and turn-by-turn gps at the same time, or any other apps I want to run at the same time for that matter. Backgrounding via Jailbreaking is a poor substitute because performance is poor and the background apps keep crashing.

    I guess you can say I will gladly give up a little performance for a huge amount of flexibility anytime, especially when the flexibility greatly enhances productivity.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That wasn't my point at all. Palm doesn't need to release a new handset until they've caught up with the guts of the Pre. New hardware will just bring a new set of problems if WebOS remains unfinished.

    As it stands now, the Pre lags both the Droid and the iPhone 3GS in smoothness and responsiveness, not to mention screen real estate.
    I guess I don't see that. My son has a Hero, and I don't see how it's smoother or more responsive than the Pre...they both seem very responsive to me. My boss' iPhone doesn't seem to be any more responsive, either.

    I guess your experience is different than mine; however, your perception that WebOS is "unfinished" doesn't necessarily translate into everyone else's experience.

    |
    |
    |
    V
    Last edited by Bujin; 11/30/2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  15. #15  
    Not sure how having 14 cards to swipe through (even with advanced gestures on) is desired. Maybe 3-4 i could see.

    On the iphone, (using Kirikae and Backgrounder) i just double tap the home button, a list of running apps opens up, tap, and done.
  16. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not sure how having 14 cards to swipe through (even with advanced gestures on) is desired. Maybe 3-4 i could see.

    On the iphone, (using Kirikae and Backgrounder) i just double tap the home button, a list of running apps opens up, tap, and done.
    I personally don't think that kirkae is as good as multiflow. Multiflow... with some work, could be as good as WebOS.

    palm really needs better advertisements. I can so see Apple saying they created multitasking... Thatzls really what I hate about apple. They think they're the most worthy things on the market.
  17. cfbauer's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I guess I don't see that. My son has a Hero, and I don't see how it's smoother or more responsive than the Pre...they both seem very responsive to me. My boss' iPhone doesn't seem to be any more responsive, either.

    I guess your experience is different than mine; however, your perception that WebOS is "unfinished" doesn't necessarily translate into everyone else's experience.

    |
    |
    |
    V
    From what I read about the Hero, they're in the same boat as Palm. Both Engadget and Gizmodo reviews said the new skin over the Android interface looked great, the hardware was nearly identical to the previous generation of Android phones. This meant choppyness and slowness.

    As for your comparison between the Pre and the iPhone, I have a hard time believing your neutrality if you say they're both equally responsive. Just watching that video linked at the top of the thread made me jealous.

    I constantly run into choppyness and slowness on my Pre. Only rarely is it unbearable, but it happens often enough to be bothersome. I'm talking about maybe 2 or 3 cards open at once, hardly anything excessive.
  18. strudel's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not sure how having 14 cards to swipe through (even with advanced gestures on) is desired. Maybe 3-4 i could see.

    On the iphone, (using Kirikae and Backgrounder) i just double tap the home button, a list of running apps opens up, tap, and done.
    14 cards is not needed, just a good example of how quickly we can switch applications. I do tend to leave everything I use open so a dozen cards or more is not uncommon for me and performance is fine, depending on what I am doing of course.

    From my experience multitasking on the iPhone via Backgrounder and Kirikae is poor at best. I can't even keep Pandora reliably running in the background without Pandora crashing. I hope I am doing something wrong because it defeats the purpose of multitasking if your apps running in the background keep crashing.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    No you can't. I did a little test, opened up 14 apps and was able to cycle through them in about 5 seconds. I highly doubt you can switch apps that fast on the iPhone. Advanced gestures = application switching as fast as you can swipe across the gesture area
    Unless I'm missing something, switching between iPhone apps is tap for homescreen > tap for app. Done. And since the 3GS is lag-free, it's pretty darn quick.

    Pre is either:

    1) Swipe>Swipe>Swipe>x if you have more than two cards open until you get to the app, or:
    2) Tap for Cardview, then Swipe>Swipe>Swipe>x

    And that's IF you have the program already open.

    On a side note I don't care how fast apps open and close if I can't run Pandora and turn-by-turn gps at the same time, or any other apps I want to run at the same time for that matter. Backgrounding via Jailbreaking is a poor substitute because performance is poor and the background apps keep crashing.

    I guess you can say I will gladly give up a little performance for a huge amount of flexibility anytime, especially when the flexibility greatly enhances productivity.
    Yeah, I used to sing the same song, too. But Pandora is such a memory hog, it greatly limits the other multitasking functions. Pre multitasking is fantastic in concept, sometimes frustrating in execution. iPhone multitasking is simple in concept, yet rock solid in execution.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    however, your perception that WebOS is "unfinished" doesn't necessarily translate into everyone else's experience.
    Until the menus actually make sense in each app and the software actually uses all of the hardware that powers it, it is unfinished. I don't see how that's a "perception" or "opinion".

    If you think WebOS is "finished" now, then it was finished when they did demos onstage at CES because it functionally does no more than what they showed 12 months ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions