Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Safari has long had multi-page browsing capabilities, so not sure where you're getting this from. In fact, their Safari cards predated WebOS.

While iPhone is limited to being able to multitask core apps, you have to realize that the 3GS is so responsive and snappy that you can hit the homescreen and start up apps quicker than WebOS can switch between several cards that are already open.

No, there's no neato swiping away, but if you value speed and efficiency over style, Pre is the one lagging as far as multitasking, not iPhone.

Palm's got the idea right. Perfect, even. They just need to be able to deliver an out-of-the-box Pre that doesn't lag, lets you keep many cards open for long periods of time, and is more responsive than the current iteration. Then the implementation will be up to par with the idea of WebOS multitasking.
    While I agree the iPhone is snappy and the Pre needs some additional work to decrease lag, the problem with the iPhone, for me at least, wasn't how quick apps could open and close but its inability to keep more than one app open in the first place (core apps excepted of course). It does matter.

For example, to balance my checkbook on the iPhone, assuming my copy of SplashMoney was already open, I had to:
    A) note my account's relevant data and close SplashMoney
    B) open up my online banking app
    C) note my closing balance and close my bank app
    D) if needed, open up the calculator and make any calculations necessary
    E) close the calculator app and finally,
    F) go back into my SplashMoney and make any necessary adjustments.

That is not what I call "snappy" use of my time. On a Pre, the entire process of balancing my accounts takes easily less than half the time it did on my iPhone.

The iPhone may open/close an app and then open another app faster than it takes the Pre to open two apps but if you have to exchange data or refer to information in one app while having another open no amount of speed is going to make the iPhone a better tool than the Pre for that particular task. I readily concede that the iPhone is equal to or better than the Pre for quite a lot of things but lack of multi-tasking cannot be made up for with simple speed or hosted notifications.

The hacked multitasking for jailbroken iPhones at the beginning of this thread is not only pretty darn impressive, its a must have feature in my book. If this was around a few months ago I may actually have thought about keeping my iPhone, maybe
    Last edited by solarus; 11/30/2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Until the menus actually make sense in each app and the software actually uses all of the hardware that powers it, it is unfinished. I don't see how that's a "perception" or "opinion".

If you think WebOS is "finished" now, then it was finished when they did demos onstage at CES because it functionally does no more than what they showed 12 months ago.
    I agree. webOS is no where near finished. I'm not saying it's bad or anything but it needs work. I came from the iPhone 3G so I guess that means I have high expectations.

About the link posted.. I hate how their website says "Palm Pre-like Multitasking for the iPhone is Finally Here!" Buuuh... By "hate" I mean I've got an evil grin. Until I watched that video.. Then my grin turned into a frown. I do miss how fast and smooth everything was on the iPhone but multitasking and the hardware were the selling points for me.

It's okay though.. iPhone had some ROUGH patches too so I know the Pre will turn out okay.

Another thing to note, Apple is making or has made some 3GS's that are Jailbreak-proof. As in, there's hardware to "stop" the haxxors. How long it will hold them at bay is anyones guess though.

And with that note, my frown turned back into an evil grin. webOS - Linux Based - Open Sauce.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Until the menus actually make sense in each app and the software actually uses all of the hardware that powers it, it is unfinished. I don't see how that's a "perception" or "opinion".
    It's okay...many people have difficulty with the concept that their perception isn't the same as everyone else. In the meantime, maybe take the time to watch the video in my sig.

|
    |
    |
    V
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    There's no comparison between normal app switching on the iPhone and multi-tasking
    on the Pre. I usually have the battery monitor on the Pre running all the time,
    one web instance, a notes app, the Agenda app and email or messaging. I can
    and do exchange data between any of them. For instance recently I've been
    running Gift Jammer making X-mas lists, and copying product info off the web
    into the various fields GJ, or into my notes app if it's too much for a small field.
    Yes you can copy data on the iPhone, but in doing so you lose the
    state of each app as you close one and open another.

Heck I don't even have to restore most of my Pre apps to see their current state
    including battery monitor, email, Agenda, and active note. I just leave em
    cardified and swipe through em and see my whole day at a glance.

And that doesn't even take into account the ability to run any streaming
    audio app (Pandora, Shoutcast, Ampache) while doing any of the things above.

Yes I'd love to see the snappiness of the iPhone with the capabilities of the Pre
    but it's not a hardware limitation. It comes from the fact that the whole UI and
    every app is written in HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$ $which$ $is$ $inherently$ $slower$. $There$ $are$
    benefits to that (rapid and hackable development) and downsides. It'll get
    better with time.

ian
    Guys, all of that is null and void when we're talking about iPhone apps written to do a "saved state" when you exit them - which is a lot of them, actually.
    If Apple says they created Multitasking 1st on a phone they will mean "Real multitasking" not this crap Palm threw together to make a quick buck.

I for one don't even think Apple needs to implement any cards. iPod Touch 3g is so snappy its like I'm in "card mode" all the time. They could however add a user control feature to allow certain programs to run in the background once opened instead.

But honestly Safari already runs in the background, Mail, and Music, what else does one need? Who runs Pandora and GPS at the same time reliably and what about people calling you? Let Palm run itself into the ground with its unreliable multitasking.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Fine. Instead of Pandora and GPS, how about Pandora and anything else. And I wouldn't consider webOS's multitasking capabilities as "crap Palm threw together to make a quick buck". It actually works, it's intuitive, and innovative. No other smartphone on the market does it as well and as you can see from this iPhone hack.. it's ushering in change.. change we can believe in.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It's okay...many people have difficulty with the concept that their perception isn't the same as everyone else.
    Seems like you're having difficulty with the concept of finishing software. If I pay you to write a Bluetooth app, and the menu options are only "Cut/Copy/Paste", you obviously left generic boilerplate in there that has nothing to do with the app at hand, and you're clearly a sloppy developer who didn't finish your job.

I guess Palm could issue a system update where all apps are now titled "Lorem ipsum dolor sit", and you'd consider it "opinion" that they didn't finish it.
    Innovation and intuitiveness go out the window when basic functions like a call log or a Dial pad lags. I loved my Centro and Treo before Pre. It did everything right but as a greedy American I wanted what Palm had next thinking it would naturally be better. Ever since I left my Centro (and $30 Sero Plan!) for this Pre I've been bending over backwards to increase its functionality to no avail.

Hopefully when iPhone goes to Verizon a hack will allow service for Sprint.
    Slightly off-topic, but damn, I love your avatar, LikeObama.

That movie was funny as hell.
    Black Dynamite at Palm Headquarters: "Rubinstein, I thought I told yo jive a** we want some speed and access to the GPU before its too late!" Proceeds to woop his a**!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Guys, all of that is null and void when we're talking about iPhone apps written to do a "saved state" when you exit them - which is a lot of them, actually.
    How exactly does saved states decrease the amount of time spent closing one app opening another closing that app and then reopening the first app? It doesn't. The iPhone beats the Pre at a lot of things but multitasking or lack thereof is where the iPhone falls flat on its polished face.

That's what makes this hack so cool. It fixes the most fundamental flaw of the iPhone. Now all the phone needs is a physical keyboard and a whole lot less arrogance from its makers.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    How exactly does saved states decrease the amount of time spent closing one app opening another closing that app and then reopening the first app? It doesn't. The iPhone beats the Pre at a lot of things but multitasking or lack thereof is where the iPhone falls flat on its polished face.
    iPhone 3GS needs no time saved in opening and closing apps. It only needs for your progress to be saved so you don't have to re-renter info. Pre, on the other hand, needs plenty of time shaved in opening certain apps. And let's not forget the dreaded "No More Cards" message that appears randomly with as little as NO cards open.

Again, I think Pre's design of multitasking is flawless. The reality/day-to-day implemenentation...still a long ways to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    When someone does it on an Apple product it's not imitation it's a brand new feature never before seen anywhere else!
    Oh yeah, look for it in a future keynote speech. I'm sure Mr.Jobs will be talking about the next greatest innovation from Apple: "iCards!"

I've looked at this, and considering many iPhone users probably need to call tech support to figure out how to turn on their phones, I don't see this being very popular with the mainstream unless Apple incorporates it. It still requires Jailbreaking from what I understand and that's way, way too difficult for their average user base.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    iPhone 3GS needs no time saved in opening and closing apps. It only needs for your progress to be saved so you don't have to re-renter info.
    You're right, the iPhone doesn't need to open apps faster. The iPhone needs true multitasking of all apps. Windows Mobile has been doing it for years, Blackberry does it, Android does it, the Pre does it and I am sure there are more phone operating systems that I am missing. Yes, performance can suffer and battery life can suffer but you know what? I think I can manage the resources of the phone effectively. There are numerous examples in this thread where using the iPhone would be very unproductive compared to the Pre and I am sure there are countless other scenarios as well.

How would you like it if your computer could only run one app at a time? I remember those days of using DOS. It was a painful experience that I don't want to repeat.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12