Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    There are really 2 aspects of the conversation here- WebOS vs. Android and device vs. device. I think we tend to lump these all together as we compare one device to another.

Many of the issues with the Pre are physical- due to the design of the device itself. Poor signal strength, small keyboard, battery life, excellent feel in the hand. Some of the issues are related to WebOS- awesome multitasking, poor app availability, lack of a virtual keyboard, excellent notification system.

The same goes for the Android platform. The Driod- physically - has a so-so keyboard, it's heavy, has a gorgeous screen, good speaker, and feels more solid than the Pre although not as comfortable in the hand. The build quality blows the Pre away (IMO) but the shape and design do not. The Hero on the other hand (the other Android phone getting lots of attention) has no physical keyboard, a really nice custom UI, and a solid feel.

Android as a platform has better app development, its multitasking is not as smooth or attractive as WebOS, the inconsistency of versions out there looks to be a bit problematic, and the UI in general is just not as smooth and easy to operate as WebOS. It has a good virtual keyboard with predictive text, although the responsiveness depends on the device. Android is also available on almost all carriers.

Apple has gotten past having device/OS as separate issues because all iPhones run the same OS- in the long run, this could hold them back as newer more powerful devices would be able to take advantage of a more powerful OS. They have also gotten past device issues because they only have 1. Want a physical keyboard?- too bad- replaceable battery?- too bad. More carriers?- too bad (for now). They have the app advantage and a simple but effective and attractive (albeit boring) UI. Because they keep such tight control, the devices are less buggy, more refined and consistent, and face fewer comparisons.

Each of these devices has pros and cons- each OS has pros and cons. I think we can all agree we wouldn't be here if we didn't enjoy hashing them out. What I find most interesting in all of this, we are seeing very few Blackberry and WinMo comparisons to iPhone, Android, or WebOS phones. Our beloved Palm may be making some mistakes, but they are still doing a better job than some.

(This turned into a bigger post than I intended! FYI- I own a Pre and an HTC Hero on Sprint, my wife has a Droid, I have had a BB, HTC TouchPro2, iPhone, Treo's, etc. I am currently using the Hero. Sprint customer service is excellent to me- but I have a business account with 150 phones on it- they do what they can to keep me happy).
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I wonder how many pre defenders are going to talk bad about the pre in 2 years once they have moved on to a new device. Some of you are just so anal about your precious little phone that you can not allow yourself to see any flaws in it.

Face it people the pre is not the greatest phone ever and it is okay to admit it has a few flaws.
    it has flaws...but to say its the worst phone or "won't last because of android" is just as stupid as saying its perfect. These people claiming palm is done for, do you have any inside knowledge that pre and pixi sales are not keeping the $$$ coming into palm? if not you are unqualified to say Palm is going under...and what the hell does electronics experience have to do with the long term outlook of a resurgent cellphone and software company?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/05/2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    it has flaws...but to say its the worst phone or "won't last because of android" is just as stupid as saying its perfect. These people claiming palm is done for, do you have any inside knowledge that pre and pixi sales are not keeping the $$$ coming into palm? if not you are unqualified to say Palm is going under...and what the hell does electronics experience have to do with the long term outlook of a resurgent cellphone and software company?
    I never once said it was "the worst phone" or "would not last" I have said palm is done, but some anal people misunderstand and think that I am saying palm is going out of business. I am sure palm will hang around for awhile what I mean when I say they are done is they had their shot to sit on top of the market and dropped the ball.

Will they have another shot in the future? maybe!

did they plan on the pre being so glitchy and behind the competition? probably not!

The pre did not live up to its hype, it happens in technology, I am sorry if me pointing that out has hurt anybodys feelings nice try! we'll get them next year!
    Wow.....
    Tsk Tsk Tsk pre comunity.
    The guy made a polite statment about his personal choice to move on to a better phone. and the first few responses were ignorant and rude. Get over yourselves some of you can really be jerks sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I wonder how many pre defenders are going to talk bad about the pre in 2 years once they have moved on to a new device. Some of you are just so anal about your precious little phone that you can not allow yourself to see any flaws in it.

Face it people the pre is not the greatest phone ever and it is okay to admit it has a few flaws.
    He said anal huh huh huh.
    I COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!
    SEE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!
    WE ARE OUT THERE AND WERE NOT GONNA PUT UP WITH IT ANYMORE!!!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I checked the Droid out, played with it for about 10 to 15 minutes, and guess what...? I'm not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    Each of these devices has pros and cons- each OS has pros and cons. I think we can all agree we wouldn't be here if we didn't enjoy hashing them out. What I find most interesting in all of this, we are seeing very few Blackberry and WinMo comparisons to iPhone, Android, or WebOS phones. Our beloved Palm may be making some mistakes, but they are still doing a better job than some.
    I think it has more to do with the similarities between iPhone, Android and WebOS. They all have UNIX OS architectures, excellet Webkit based browsers, capacitive touch screens, lousy PIM apps and limited desktop syncing. Blackberry and WinMo are older smartphone platforms with excelllent PIM apps, full desktop syncing and lousy web browsers. WM also has poor email support and a terrible UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I traded my Pre with a friend's Droid over the weekend to compare the phones. Here's what we came away with.

- Performance varies dramatically. Browser load times and responsiveness was comparable to my Pre. Contact scrolling was better on the Droid. Scrolling on the widget screen was super-laggy for little reason.

- The lack of multitouch is a glaring missing feature. The European version of the Droid has it, why not Verizon's? He suspects a future update will include it.

- The keyboard is so-so. The size seemed be a bit large for me (stretching to hit a middle key). The membrane keys are too soft (can't tell when a push is going to be registered) and non-discript (have a hard time distinguishing separate keys by just touch). He didn't think he could get over the Pre's keyboard size.

- The virtual keyboard is pretty decent. If I tried to go full-bore, I mostly got gibberish.

- Yes, the Droid also has an "oreo-effect." My friend described the slider as almost too-tight for about the first week. Now, the bottom corner easily "kicks-out" and is often pulled out of the pocket like that.

- The lack of spring-assist is not really missed, since you have to use two hands on the keyboard anyways. It's impossible to operate the physical keyboard with one hand.

- The external speaker was crisp and loud, something I didn't expect.

- Battery life is comparable to the Pre. With moderate usage, a daily recharge is required.

- The screen is quite nice and large.

- However, the form-factor is just on the edge of "pocketable". We both preferred the Pre's size.

- One odd thing we discovered, is there is no way to answer a phone call on the Droid without using the touchscreen. Sliding open the keyboard and pushing any button wouldn't answer a call. This is going to be annoying for him in these coming winter months when he's wearing gloves.

- We both found Android, in general, to be clunky to move around. We both liked Pre's notifications, cards, and gesture systems better.

Android is certainly usable. For him, he had to be on Verizon, so it was the obvious best choice. If forced to, I certainly could use it. But if given the choices, I would still pick the Pre. I like what Palm built, and I like where Palm is going. Note, however, that I didn't need to sign into an Android forum to throw a sales-pitch on how Android is doomed because I picked the Pre.

And please, whatever "experience" you have is completely meaningless in this kind of discussion.
    We have all phones represented in my IT Dept. (iPhone, Pre, Storm, MyTouch, TouchPro, and now Droid) We regularly swap phones around to try out the competition. I pretty much agree with all said, the best part of the phone is the Screen, held next to a 3GS it b!tch slaps it on size\clarity. That thing is AZZ UGLY though, with all the above phones on a desk side-by-side, we wanted to put a napkin over the damn thing! lol.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123