Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I also have 30+ years of electronics experience and I prefer the Pre.

(seriously.. What kind of self wank is that? Anyone over 30 and not Amish can boast the same).
    don't the Pre and the Droid have the same processor? Once the pre's gpu becomes utilied it will be able to fully utilize its potential and match if not beat this speed on the Droid you are talking of. I do not know how much memory the Droid has though, and im not really that interested because honestly i think Verizon is horrible at least in my area. I love my pre and the freedoms of Linux that come with it
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by androidfrompre View Post
    Just a mnor caveat to those thinking this is a Pre bash ...... it is not but just a an observation from someone who has owend and loved his pre since day one.

I have had the Pre since day one and with a minor hiatus from it during those rough between patch upgrade periods I must say it was and still is great phone, but unfortunetely it is not enough in this day and age to just be great you must be amazing in both form and function.

So as someone with 30 years of electronics experience can tell you from Iphones to Blackberries to Pres and back again ........... the Droid running Android 2.0 is the best phone/operating system on the market today.

Let me begin by saying that Android is a wonderful operating system as is the Web OS but when you pair a great operating system with a great piece of hardware like the Droid.........it is truly an amazing experience that you must try yourself to really appreciate. I recommend going to Verizon and just testing one out and you will see what I mean. No lag of any kind when opening apps..........you want video you got it you want high res photos quickly....you got it....... you want thousands of apps that rather than a few hundred....... you have that too............all with a keyboard that is actually functional.

Listen, I like you am a electronics nerd always looking for the best bang for the buck and the proof is in the pudding with the Droid.........hands down the best phone and best operating system.

If it was just Apple and Palm this would be a great outcome for the Pre sadly it is not a two man race but a three and the gorilla in the room has just blown his first fart and boy is it smelly...............google will dominate the phone market in the coming few years as Apple has backed themselves into a corner.

Good luck to you Pre owners out there but I must say if you want the best experience on a smart phone it is the Droid period end of story.

Just my opinion of course so don't get all crazy on here.
    As you stated YOUR OPINION..and very subjective at that.

My opinion is the android sucks, and I have as much experience with electronics as you do. SO..........

Opinions are like ******** everyone has one
    Only time will tell
    I guess Droid does it for you, eh? grats. Now go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    Once the pre's gpu becomes utilied...
    utilied? What the heck is that?

I do not know how much memory the Droid has though, and im not really that interested because honestly i think Verizon is horrible at least in my area.
    I now have a new example for non sequitur.

I love my pre and the freedoms of Linux that come with it
    You mean just like the Droid? And just what sort of "freedoms" do you think WebOS's Linus foundation buys you personally?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Verizon's rates and customer service are horrible...Horrible.
    I think he meant utilized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think he meant utilized.
    Ah, maybe so. Makes the post sound even more odd with "...gpu becomes utilized it will be able to fully utilize its potential." Not that it doesn't fit the style of the rest of the post...
    I traded my Pre with a friend's Droid over the weekend to compare the phones. Here's what we came away with.

- Performance varies dramatically. Browser load times and responsiveness was comparable to my Pre. Contact scrolling was better on the Droid. Scrolling on the widget screen was super-laggy for little reason.

- The lack of multitouch is a glaring missing feature. The European version of the Droid has it, why not Verizon's? He suspects a future update will include it.

- The keyboard is so-so. The size seemed be a bit large for me (stretching to hit a middle key). The membrane keys are too soft (can't tell when a push is going to be registered) and non-discript (have a hard time distinguishing separate keys by just touch). He didn't think he could get over the Pre's keyboard size.

- The virtual keyboard is pretty decent. If I tried to go full-bore, I mostly got gibberish.

- Yes, the Droid also has an "oreo-effect." My friend described the slider as almost too-tight for about the first week. Now, the bottom corner easily "kicks-out" and is often pulled out of the pocket like that.

- The lack of spring-assist is not really missed, since you have to use two hands on the keyboard anyways. It's impossible to operate the physical keyboard with one hand.

- The external speaker was crisp and loud, something I didn't expect.

- Battery life is comparable to the Pre. With moderate usage, a daily recharge is required.

- The screen is quite nice and large.

- However, the form-factor is just on the edge of "pocketable". We both preferred the Pre's size.

- One odd thing we discovered, is there is no way to answer a phone call on the Droid without using the touchscreen. Sliding open the keyboard and pushing any button wouldn't answer a call. This is going to be annoying for him in these coming winter months when he's wearing gloves.

- We both found Android, in general, to be clunky to move around. We both liked Pre's notifications, cards, and gesture systems better.

Android is certainly usable. For him, he had to be on Verizon, so it was the obvious best choice. If forced to, I certainly could use it. But if given the choices, I would still pick the Pre. I like what Palm built, and I like where Palm is going. Note, however, that I didn't need to sign into an Android forum to throw a sales-pitch on how Android is doomed because I picked the Pre.

And please, whatever "experience" you have is completely meaningless in this kind of discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I went right to Verizon like you said. You are right the droid was fast! Is also only had about 4 apps on it. Down load more apps, then lets see how fast it is. The phone did nothing! Its just a phone. It had three app home pages, whitch were blank. The only people saying the phone is a killer is Verizon. They can't even make a add showing what it does....wonder why that would be!
    The keyboard isn't functional on pre? Huh? did you go full ******?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You came all the way here for that?
    Kinda how you came into this thread, just to post that...
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If you wanted to make a sales pitch for the Droid seems like you could put it in the right forum, the cross-platform. Is there a point to this post other than you love your new phone and you think it's the end all and be all? I can find as many people who think the same of Blackberry and WinMo. Everyone has their opinion and their favorite phone. There's not a phone out there that will convince me to pay Verizon's rates.
    Moved.

- Craig
    I switched from Verizon to Sprint back in June so I could get the Pre, then the best non-iPhone phone on the market. From the beginning, I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Pre.

But now the Droid is out and my fiancee has it so we get to compare both phones side-by-side pretty much every day.

Neither phone is perfect, and the Droid has enough (just barely enough, but enough) little hangups that I haven't yet coughed up my $200 early termination fee, put my Pre on eBay, and gone back to Verizon. But if the Droid gets some good firmware updates, I'm considering it.

Things I love about the Pre that the Droid doesn't do well:
    1-the actual size and shape of the phone. The Pre is so much more usable, especially one-handed
    2-gestures. The Pre is so much more intuitive. I LOVE the gestures and swipes.
    3-notifications. I hate the way the Droid lets you know (or rather, doesn't let you know) about missed calls, texts, emails, and important events in apps. My fiancee downloaded an app that improves this somewhat but it's still not as good.
    4-cards. It took her almost 2 weeks to figure out how to get a list of what apps the Droid is running.
    5-overall user-friendliness of design. The Pre is so much closer to the iPhone in this standard than the Droid. Motorola's engineer-driven culture produces great phones that no one but a mechanical engineer or software coder can use. Apple's customer-driven culture produces mediocre phones that are an absolute joy to use. Palm seems to be shooting for the middle ground.
    6-multi-touch. I can't get used to using her Droid without multi-touch. That's one of the big things keeping me on the Palm.
    7-price. With Sprint's lower-priced plan and the free calls to all cellphones, I can stay on a 450-minute plan and never even approach the limit for about $70. When I switched from Verizon to Sprint, my fiancee had to up her plan to a 900-minute a month plan (most of our calls are to each other) and she's now paying around $100 a month.

Areas where the Droid beats the Pre
    1-speed. The Droid is just so freakin' responsive. It's comparable to using the iPhone 3GS. Blazing fast, even now that she has downloaded dozens of apps. We now use her phone exclusively for things like finding restaurants, turn-by-turn directions, etc., because it takes her half the time to find things as it does me. The Pre sometimes leaves me hanging for upwards of 30-45 seconds to open an app even when nothing else is running. It's my biggest complaint.
    2-apps. I can't believe Palm hasn't been more proactive about courting the developer community and pushing apps out the door. From day 1, she's had about 20 times more apps than I have. And that makes a difference. Her phone is just more useful than mine thanks to the app selection. I drool over the app selection on the Android selection, and she has a lot more FREE apps to choose from, too. And for all you "it's a first-generation device" Palm apologists...compete or die. The app suckitude that Palm has given us, combined with the speed issue, is what will kill the Palm/Sprint. They need to fix this yesterday or this device and WebOS in general are dead in the water.
    3-Turn-by-turn directions. Verizon's old VZ Navigator on my LG Chocolate was a lifesaver for me. One of the biggest reasons I didn't switch to the iPhone was their lack of a similar offering. The Sprint Navigator looks nice, but I've found that for some reason it consistently gives me bad directions, or even worse it drops the signal when I'm out in the country and all of a sudden I've got no more directions. Now I'm back to printing out paper maps before every trip. I'd go back to the old VZ Nav in a minute, but that's nothing compared to the integrated Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation that the Droid has. It's light-years better than anything else out there. If you spend a lot of time on the road, this feature alone is the best reason to buy the Droid.
    4-Haptic feedback. I got used to this with the LG and I really miss it. Palm could have at least given us the option.
    5-speaker volume. The Pre is just not loud enough, especially when I'm in the car listening for directions (although I've pretty much stopped using the Pre for this because the Sprint navigator is so reliable).
    6-touch screen keyboards with predictive text. This is done flawlessly on the Droid. Neither of us have even bothered to open up the somewhat crappy physical keyboard on the Droid because the touchscreen is so good. I HATE the Pre's keyboard. It's slow, there's no predictive text, I have to use the phone in portrait mode to type, and quite often it doesn't work at all and I have to reboot the phone. The Droid's on-screen keyboard is a pleasure to use.
    7-the Verizon network. God, I miss Verizon, especially now that I depend on 3G. She gets 5 bars of signal with full internet almost everywhere. I'm nowhere near as lucky, and half the time I end up roaming on Verizon with no internet at all. I live in Boston and travel throughout New England--this is hardly the boonies. Sprint's network is terrible. This alone is almost enough to send me back to Verizon.
    8-customer service. I've been sooooo disappointed by Sprint's in-store and over-the-phone service. Only when I had made about 10 phone calls and gotten irate did I get passed up the chain to someone who could help me. Verizon's not so great, but they were (surprisingly) better than Sprint.
    9-the actual phone. For all the great things about the Pre, I find that I freaking hate the actual phone implementation. I'm constantly dropping calls, missing calls because I can't get the stupid lock slidey thing up to the top of the screen in a hurry (sometimes takes me 4 or 5 swipes, even after 5 months of owning the phone), and having the address book mixed up with my 1200 gmail contacts really upsets me. And the speed dial is terrible!
    10-the power button. The same place in both phones, but so much easier to find and push on the Droid.

Bottom Line: The Droid has enough problems, especially in the UI and the lack of a touchscreen, that it's not worth me switching back to Verizon....yet. But if I were still a Verizon customer, no way would I switch to Sprint. I'll probably wait until next summer when the Android platform has matured a bit and the next generation of phones has addressed some of my issues and then ditch the Pre and switch back. If we can just get someone to hack the Pre's UI (cards and gestures!) into Android, we'll have the perfect marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    2-apps. I can't believe Palm hasn't been more proactive about courting the developer community and pushing apps out the door. From day 1, she's had about 20 times more apps than I have. And that makes a difference. Her phone is just more useful than mine thanks to the app selection. I drool over the app selection on the Android selection, and she has a lot more FREE apps to choose from, too. And for all you "it's a first-generation device" Palm apologists...compete or die. The app suckitude that Palm has given us, combined with the speed issue, is what will kill the Palm/Sprint. They need to fix this yesterday or this device and WebOS in general are dead in the water.
    I mean, this has been pretty much beaten to death now, but just to reiterate: quality programs cannot be made with Palm's current WebOS SDK. It's not a matter of "when" apps show up for WebOS, it's an "if" -- it's entirely contingent on having an actual native SDK. Without that, you won't see any good apps.

It's a bit of a simplification, but with the present SDK, if it can't be done in a webapp, it can't be done as a WebOS application either.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    See my comments in BOLD By his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    Areas where the Droid beats the Pre
    1-speed. The Droid is just so freakin' responsive. It's comparable to using the iPhone 3GS. Blazing fast, even now that she has downloaded dozens of apps. We now use her phone exclusively for things like finding restaurants, turn-by-turn directions, etc., because it takes her half the time to find things as it does me. The Pre sometimes leaves me hanging for upwards of 30-45 seconds to open an app even when nothing else is running. It's my biggest complaint. [B]NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM ON MY..ITS FAST

3-Turn-by-turn directions. Verizon's old VZ Navigator on my LG Chocolate was a lifesaver for me. One of the biggest reasons I didn't switch to the iPhone was their lack of a similar offering. The Sprint Navigator looks nice, but I've found that for some reason it consistently gives me bad directions, or even worse it drops the signal when I'm out in the country and all of a sudden I've got no more directions. Now I'm back to printing out paper maps before every trip. I'd go back to the old VZ Nav in a minute, but that's nothing compared to the integrated Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation that the Droid has. It's light-years better than anything else out there. If you spend a lot of time on the road, this feature alone is the best reason to buy the Droid. NO PHONE IS GOING TO GIVE YOU AS GOOD A DIRECTION AS A DEDICATED GPS UNIT, THEY JUST CANT PUT THE HARDWARE INTO THE PHONE AND KEEP IT SMALL

4-Haptic feedback. I got used to this with the LG and I really miss it. Palm could have at least given us the option. WHERE YA BEEN IT DOES HAVE IT, JUST NEEDS TURNED ON

5-speaker volume. The Pre is just not loud enough, especially when I'm in the car listening for directions (although I've pretty much stopped using the Pre for this because the Sprint navigator is so reliable).UH MAYBE YOUR HEARING IS OFF...MY IS LOUD ENOUGH TO HEAR..WOULD LIKE IT LOUDER, BUT NEVER HARD TO HEAR IT

7-the Verizon network. God, I miss Verizon, especially now that I depend on 3G. She gets 5 bars of signal with full internet almost everywhere. I'm nowhere near as lucky, and half the time I end up roaming on Verizon with no internet at all. I live in Boston and travel throughout New England--this is hardly the boonies. Sprint's network is terrible. This alone is almost enough to send me back to Verizon. i TRAVEL THE SAME AREAS AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS

8-customer service. I've been sooooo disappointed by Sprint's in-store and over-the-phone service. Only when I had made about 10 phone calls and gotten irate did I get passed up the chain to someone who could help me. Verizon's not so great, but they were (surprisingly) better than Sprint. NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE..MAYBE ITS YOUR APPROACH

9-the actual phone. For all the great things about the Pre, I find that I freaking hate the actual phone implementation. I'm constantly dropping calls, missing calls because I can't get the stupid lock slidey thing up to the top of the screen in a hurry (sometimes takes me 4 or 5 swipes, even after 5 months of owning the phone), and having the address book mixed up with my 1200 gmail contacts really upsets me. And the speed dial is terrible!UH..YOU DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN...AND IF ITS TAKING THAT MAY SWIPES, YOU MAY HAVE A TOUCHSCREEN ISSUE THAT NEEDS REPAIRED OR REPLACED.

10-the power button. The same place in both phones, but so much easier to find and push on the Droid.UH SAME PLACE...BUT HARD TO GET TO....HMM EXPLAIN??? MINE IS NO PROB AT ALL

Bottom Line: The Droid has enough problems, especially in the UI and the lack of a touchscreen, that it's not worth me switching back to Verizon....yet. But if I were still a Verizon customer, no way would I switch to Sprint. I'll probably wait until next summer when the Android platform has matured a bit and the next generation of phones has addressed some of my issues and then ditch the Pre and switch back. If we can just get someone to hack the Pre's UI (cards and gestures!) into Android, we'll have the perfect marriage.ARE YOU ALLREADY PREDISPOSED THAT THE PRE(WEBOS) PLATFORM WILL NOT MATURE AS WELL?
    IMO: IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PHONE, BUT MOST ARE ITEMS THAT COULD BE ADDRESSED WITH A REPLACEMENT PHONE, AND MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORKING OF THE PRE.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I have not tried the Droid yet. I hate the G1. I do like Google though. As a business owner as long as Google's apps migrate to or are accessable by the Pre I will keep it.
    I just today switched back to a Pre from an HTC Hero. It was literally giving me nightmares. If you think Android is better than Apple, or more intuitive than Pre, you are seriously high. Not ONE part of the hero was acceptable. Not as a phone, for messaging, the camera sucks. TOTAL FAIL!!!! The best thing I could say about it was that it didnt explode in my hand and blind me.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by androidfrompre View Post
    I feel you about the keyboard not being the best but the Droid actually has a learning curve on it while I found the Keyboard on the Pre to just never work functionally. Nothing is ever going to be perfect and that is for sure but I am not talking about the G1 or my touch or any of those phones as they are actually lame compared to the Pre ........... This is strictly the Droid vs Pre I am offering up and I tell you to just check one out and let it do the talking for you..............the best phone/PDA/everything device so far no question........... also the network is awesome.......but I did like Sprint too.
    Simple minded - How old are you?
  20.    #40  
    Please elaborate on your comment as my simple mind can't understand what you mean by "simple minded" based on your quote.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast