1.    #1  
    Been lurking for awhile and I'm on the fence on what phone to get so I want to thank all of you for your posts. I fell for the Samsung Instinct trick where they told us the app catalog would grow and that never happened. It obviously was not the "iphone killer" that some speculated it would be.

I've been excited about the Palm Pre and the $89 at Best Buy is really pulling me that way.

The 3 phones I'm bouncing between are:
    Palm Pre
    Samsung Moment
    HTC Hero

I've watched many Youtube vids, such as Phone Dogs "Palm Pre vs HTC Hero"

Another interesting one is Adobe flash player 10.1 coming for the Pre.

It seems like one of the biggest concerns here on the Pre is hardware build quality and the lack of many apps. I stuck with the Instinct for over 2 years, and the apps are few and far between. Sure, a few people made some apps, but Sprint doesn't have a full catalog after a few years now.

I surf the web more than anything else, so web speed is one of the most important features. Anyway, I'll continue reading your posts and since tomorrow is Black Friday, I have about 24 hours to make up my mind on what I want since some these phones will probably be on sale. Actually, Best Buy has the Pre on sale today online already
    I'm a former Instinct owner and I love my Pre. The Pre is GREAT for surfing the web. Good luck with your decision.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

How much better is Youtube on the Pre? I'm sure it's much better since Youtube took a long time to load on the Instinct. Considering the Pre is somewhat still new, it still has more apps than the Instinct already.

About 10 people have an Iphone at work, and nobody has the Pre. Every other day they have a "have you got this new app that _ _ _ _" (fill in the blank). Sure some of them are useless, but some of them are kinda cool.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    if you are concerned with apps the pre will probably never rival the iphone. I'm sure as time goes on it will get better but I don't think even android will get up there with iphone. That being said as the sdk expands and the app store comes out of beta things will improve in the app department.

I thinl the pre is superior to the android phones as far as the web goes, but all three are a step up from the instinct.

yes flash is coming to the pre. It will also come to android. But in this comes one of the biggest pluses for the pre. While eventually a version of android will have flash support there is no guarantee that version will make it down to your phone. Neither the moment or the hero are running the latest version of android and it will be up to the phone manufacturers to upgrade them. Since palm is both hardware and software the update will come and then you will have it.

I think the pre would be good for you, as long as you aren't expecting ipod levels of apps, ever. If you want apples app catelog I would suggest ponying up the extra cash and pay for the iphone because no current phone on sprint is gonna get 100,000 apps anytime soon.
  5.    #5  
    I don't need a 100,000 apps or even 20,000 apps, but I would like several to pick from. In August 2008, Sprint had an app contest on who could create the best apps for a new app store, but that fizzled and Sprint never opened an app library for the Instinct. Some guys on the instinct-samsung forum have more apps than the official sprint store, but the number of apps is under 100. That's right, after being out for over 2 years, there are under 100 apps for the Instinct.

instinct-software dot com

I noticed there are 326 Apps in the Homebrew Apps gallery here on PreCentral, which is 3 times more than Instinct has.

I was kind of worried about getting the Pre with the new OS and thinking that not enough developer would start writing apps for it, but that may not be an issue.

In reality, it took the Iphone a year to get their app store going, so I have no problem waiting.
    web surfing = Pre wins hands down
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    look deeply into my eyes ----you want the pre ,you need the pre ,go get the pre ...... hehe
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    look deeply into my eyes ----you want the pre ,you need the pre ,go get the pre ...... hehe
    Arrrgh, dang it, you suck (just kidding)

I'm so super-tempted to forget about black Friday and just buy the Pre online today since it will cost the same...

I played with the Pre last week at Sams Club for about 30 minutes, but the wife told me I had to wait, well I've waited an extra week so I may have to just pull the trigger and get it.
    i think the Samsung Moment looks kinda cool too, the hero i guess is cool, but the Pre is Great,IMO. The Moment would be My Choice Right Now. But I'm not brave enough to get rid of my Pre..LOL
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    i think the Samsung Moment looks kinda cool too, the hero i guess is cool, but the Pre is Great,IMO. The Moment would be My Choice Right Now. But I'm not brave enough to get rid of my Pre..LOL
    I like the Hero's Sense UI, but the Moment has a faster processor and looks very good. From what I've seen, the pre has a fast response when you touch it, and also when you change from portrait to landscape mode.

I have big hands, so the Palm Pre's keyboard size bothered me and the keyboard size gave the Moment a better grade in that department. Since there is a virtual keyboard for the Pre, that might not matter though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Noob View Post
    Arrrgh, dang it, you suck (just kidding)

I'm so super-tempted to forget about black Friday and just buy the Pre online today since it will cost the same...

I played with the Pre last week at Sams Club for about 30 minutes, but the wife told me I had to wait, well I've waited an extra week so I may have to just pull the trigger and get it.
    just dont tick off the wife she could make ur life ......... well bad ha ha make sure she says ok first!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    just dont tick off the wife she could make ur life ......... well bad ha ha make sure she says ok first!!

It's funny you say that, she just gave the go-ahead to get what I want. Still going back and forth, but leaning very much toward the Pre. The Pre only has 8gb of internal memory with no micro-sd card slot, and the Moment does.

Has the amount of ram on the Pre been a problem for anybody?
    If you put alot of videos/movies on your phone then 8gb is not enough....I have 0 vids on my pre just pics and music so Im good with 8gb...
    It's funny you say that, she just gave the go-ahead to get what I want. Still going back and forth, but leaning very much toward the Pre. The Pre only has 8gb of internal memory with no micro-sd card slot, and the Moment does.

Has the amount of ram on the Pre been a problem for anybody?
    he's right(ozone) unfortunately but if you don't overload it like some people do with their computer it would be ok. And if you do the homebrew thing there is a patch that helps in the ram area.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  15.    #15  
    It is done, I got me a Pre

I bought it through Best Buy's online service and the Fed Ex shipping that is included in that price is 2-3 business days. Since I paid only $80, I paid an extra $20 for next day shipping so hopefully I will have it tomorrow.

The person that handles Best Buy's phone orders was based in the Philippines and that really wasn't a pleasant experience. Not that I have anything against the Philippines, it's just that I had to repeat myself 3 times and she had to repeat herself 5 times because I couldn't understand her Engrish.

Oh well, no biggie. I'll read up more in the forums so I won't bug you with 1,000 questions.
  16.    #16  
    It is done, I got me a Pre

I bought it through Best Buy's online service and the Fed Ex shipping that is included in that price is 2-3 business days. Since I paid only $80, I paid an extra $20 for next day shipping so hopefully I will have it tomorrow.

The person that handles Best Buy's phone orders was based in the Philippines and that really wasn't a pleasant experience. Not that I have anything against the Philippines, it's just that I had to repeat myself 3 times and she had to repeat herself 5 times because I couldn't understand her Engrish.

Oh well, no biggie. I'll read up more in the forums so I won't bug you with 1,000 questions.
    Grrr, cancelled my Pre order

They have to approve you before they ship the phone and the company that Best Buy contracted to handle online orders for the Pre still didn't ship anything yet. I went to whereismyorder dot com and they told me it may take another 24 hours before I get approved, and then another 24 hours before they ship the phone.

I had them cancel the order and I will go to Best Buy and get it in person without having to wait another 2 days.