1.    #1  
    As a lot of you already know (maybe from arguments) i got a Hero for 2 months not and when it comes to functionality, everything i can imagine is there... so i can defenetly say "Droid Does" and the Pre doesnt "Does" as much but what it "Does" do.... it "Does" BETTER.

Overall OS design, elegance, and ease of use = Pre wins

Multitasking = Pre wins

Music Player = (now that 1.3.1 added scrolling) Pre wins

Camera = (forget 5MP... it sucks) Pre wins

Browser = (Hero is so slow, clunky and laggy in browser that its unbearable) Pre wins

note: my main usage for a device is full web browsing, and music... all else is secondary

Now, i know that the Pre has a lot of catching up to do and its really hard to give up a sturdy, glass screen, well built Hero for a Pre that its known for hardware issues and software limitations so I dont know if ill regret going back to the Pre now..... what should i do? give up smartphones alltogether? lol cuz this is frustrating....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    If your main focus is web browsing then I would say the Pre is the choice, but you'll probably have regrets with either phone. Lol.
    i know this is a hard decisionbecause i can't seem to make up my mind either. so far i went with the tp2 for work, but on the weekends i need something small that can be easily pocketed. Been going back and forth with the hero or pre. might end up getting pre due to it being on sale for $79 at best buy on black friday. i am going to find it hard to give up that glass screen also
    YOU KNOW YOU LONG FOR THE PRE!!!! YOUR GETTING SLEEPY YOUR EYES ARE CLOSING . I WANT YOU TO RELAX AND FREE YOUR MIND .... NOW YOU UNDER MY COMPLETE CONTROL ... TAKE THAT UGLY PHONE AND TRADE IT WITH SOMEONE ELSE THAT IS THINKING JUST LIKE YOU ONCE THOUGHT AND TRADE HIM FOR IT ..... WHEN YOU WAKE UP YOU WILL HAVE THE PRE AGAIN ALONG WITH WEB BROWSING LIKE YOU WANT AND A KOOL MUSIC PLAYER!!! Sorry just messin hope you find a way to get back to the pre !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Thanks for posting, it's good to hear from people who have actually owned both for a comparison. I mainly surf the web, so I'm leaning toward the Pre. I've been looking at the Hero and one of the things I liked was the multi-touch screen. In other words, being able to use 2 fingers to zoom in or out on pictures and the web. But if it's slower, well that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Since hardware issues is an issue with Pre, if I get one maybe I'll get an extended warranty. Now that I think about it, since Best Buy has the Pre on sale for $89, I might buy the Product Replacement Plan with the money I save so that they'll replace the phone with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    As a lot of you already know (maybe from arguments) i got a Hero for 2 months not and when it comes to functionality, everything i can imagine is there... so i can defenetly say "Droid Does" and the Pre doesnt "Does" as much but what it "Does" do.... it "Does" BETTER.

Multitasking = Pre wins

Browser = (Hero is so slow, clunky and laggy in browser that its unbearable) Pre wins

note: my main usage for a device is full web browsing, and music... all else is secondary

Now, i know that the Pre has a lot of catching up to do and its really hard to give up a sturdy, glass screen, well built Hero for a Pre that its known for hardware issues and software limitations so I dont know if ill regret going back to the Pre now..... what should i do? give up smartphones alltogether? lol cuz this is frustrating....
    Have you figured out how your going to get the pre back yet???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Just check black friday page, turns out that the best buys here in Charlotte are only getting 5 per store and you have to get there buy 9 to get the deal

with 2yr upgrade
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Noob View Post
    Thanks for posting, it's good to hear from people who have actually owned both for a comparison. I mainly surf the web, so I'm leaning toward the Pre. I've been looking at the Hero and one of the things I liked was the multi-touch screen. In other words, being able to use 2 fingers to zoom in or out on pictures and the web. But if it's slower, well that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Since hardware issues is an issue with Pre, if I get one maybe I'll get an extended warranty. Now that I think about it, since Best Buy has the Pre on sale for $89, I might buy the Product Replacement Plan with the money I save so that they'll replace the phone with no problem.
    yup, no doubt that the Pre is better for web surfing (which was the dealbreaker for me on the Hero) and it also has multitouch, had it before the Hero and better IMO.

I can easily swap the Hero for a Pre on my local online classifieds page (a lot like craiglist) and even make some money out of it since a lot of people value the Hero more over the Pre.... the SDK and GPU issue still worries me though....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMISM View Post
    Just check black friday page, turns out that the best buys here in Charlotte are only getting 5 per store and you have to get there buy 9 to get the deal

with 2yr upgrade
    You can get the Black Friday price online today at Best Buy with free Fed Ex shipping if you don't want to stand in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Noob View Post
    You can get the Black Friday price online today at Best Buy with free Fed Ex shipping if you don't want to stand in line.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

Multitasking = Pre wins

Based on your usage, I think you should get the Pre. The Hero is nice, but for what you need the phone for, the Pre suits you better. WebOS is developing and growing. It will have GPU access soon and the multitasking interface will be a lot smoother. There is always Preware you can install to customize.

Palm is really starting to up their game with a Verizon Launch imminent, meaning a lot more users and needed support. Later Pre models have better build quality ( from what I hear)

Just go back to the Pre and enjoy the music while web browsing
    Have you tried any of the third party browsers in the market? Dolphin is amazing. It's vastly better then the Hero's browser and it's in the Market + it's free. I personally thought the Pre had the best browsing experience until I found Dolphin.

I miss some aspects about the Pre, but overall I think that the Hero is just a better device. Yet my needs differ then yours. I am big on calendars and tasks. Camera's and music players are typically not on my high priority list. However I do find myself using the music player feature a lot more on the Hero then the Pre. I like to listen to my podcasts while browsing the web or playing Robo Defense. I've even put some music on to fill in the gaps in between podcast updates. The Hero handles all of this flawlessly. The audio out seems to be better then the Pre too, at least in my opinion.

While it's interesting that the Pre will get access to it's GPU the real question is when will the SDK be updated to take advantage of these things? Probably never. The 1.3.1 SDK was released and what was it's killer feature "auto-generate" a help scene? Seriously unless Palm opens up the SDK the apps people want will never be made. What's their delay?

I am starting to get the feeling that the way the OS is designed, while slick, has limited what can be done. The Android SDK gives developers so much more power, hell a developer can even write part of their code in native c or c++.
    Last edited by kennyidaho; 11/27/2009 at 12:54 AM.