1.    #1  
    The latest update and problems I've been having getting my emails (gmail), which is a VERY important issue to me specifically for work purposes, has caused me to switch to the Hero today. I will miss the Pre as I was one of it's staunchest supporters. The Homebrew Devs are doing an AMAZING job making the Pre better than Palm actually is. Funny, Palm sends out an update and it makes the phone worse? Un-be-lievable. I still have it and may keep it for a while, but it will be in my closet until I see a reason to activate again. Having patience is one thing, but what appears to be a total lack of effort on Palm's part is totally unforgiving.

By the way, the Hero is a superb machine. The apps are endless and actually USEFUL! Better yet, most of the most useful ones are FREE!! I got tired of searching thru the marketplace and I'm only probably 1/2 way through. I have already downloaded over 70 apps. Games are phenomenal as well. I am really enjoying the customization also. It's like night and day. I will miss WebOS and the multitasking ability of the Pre, but for everything else the Hero has to offer, I wont miss it too long I'm sure.
    Know your roots. I have a few friends with the droid. Cool phone for sure and the apps are a new pot of gold but grow old fast as well. Bottom line for me, the OS is not as clean as WebOS. Navigating WebOS is still an absolute pleasure....Navigating Android still kind of sucks, at least for me. Hope your choice works for you. Me, I'm sold. WebOS and homebrew have been great. I'm here to stay.
    Sigh. People are begging me to leave. If only it was this easy.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    what kind of gmail issues were you having?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    what kind of gmail issues were you having?
    Not showing up unless I go into my gmail manually and hit the sync button. Having to set a time to check instead of "as they arrive" as I have always had since I had my Pre on launch. Then they just show up "notification" whenever they choose. I could have it set to check every 5 min and I wont get an email till 20 min later that I send to myself just to check the arrival vs notification times.

Also, if I open them on my phone first, then later on need to see the same message on my Pre, they are not even there! Total BS to me and NONE of this was an issue before the latest update.
    after your gone you will one day wish you hadnt left lol dont worry it just happens lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I also use gmail. I have NOT had any of the problems you are mentioning in your post, and I do have the latest software update. It sounds as though your preferences were changed for some reason. The only issue I had was with the calender. My network timezone had been changed. Palm tech support has been helpful if you call them. Don't do the chat. I never have luck with that.
    Both email apps on the Hero are crappy. I had similar issues with not getting my emails on the Hero. After getting the Pre and having installed the 1.3.1 update the 1st day when I got it. I have not had any issues with my Pre. I guess I got lucky...

Between the 2 email apps on the Hero. The Gmail one is much better than HTC's...
    Last edited by boysenberry; 11/27/2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Clarifiing
    im just wandering did you ever run web os repair utility to see if it would fix it?? i had an issue with the email and repair utility fixed it right up!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by mainevent3405 View Post
    The Homebrew Devs are doing an AMAZING job making the Pre better than Palm actually is. Funny, Palm sends out an update and it makes the phone worse? Un-be-lievable. I still have it and may keep it for a while, but it will be in my closet until I see a reason to activate again. Having patience is one thing, but what appears to be a total lack of effort on Palm's part is totally unforgiving.
    What you're seeing with Palm's performance has ben ingrained in their culture ever since Palm purchased Handspring (and the Treo line) back from the original Palm founders. Little innovation, second-rate product quality, and lackluster efforts on software. It's no wonder they fell from the #1 smartphone spot to a minor footnote in the industry in just over 6 years.
    Did you buy it used? Lot of people are not happy with their Hero's and are selling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Did you buy it used? Lot of people are not happy with their Hero's and are selling them.
    Funny you should say that. It was all I could do to recoup my $199 initial investment reselling the Pre, even though I had three sets of accessories and batteries from replacement models and a car charger. Hero has better resale value, and for good reason.

I just checked eBay and almost 300 Palm Pre phones are on sale. Only 74 Hero phones are. Of the almost 300 Pre phones, more than half are used. Or more plainly, there are twice as many used Pre phones on that prominent marketplace than there are Hero phones - used, new, whatever - combined.

Anyway, both phones have their great aspects and flaws. Google just has a far more developed ecosystem and HTC has much sturdier hardware. Palm has it in their power to correct both advantages.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    ...you don't expect a wounded horse to win the race?
    Given this mentality, why would anyone bet on that same wounded horse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Given this mentality, why would anyone bet on that same wounded horse?

A wounded horse isn't always wounded :-) Time will heal these software "wounds" Then all bets are on! Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    A wounded horse isn't always wounded :-) Time will heal these software "wounds" Then all bets are on! Haha
    so basically you are saying to wait till a future race to risk your money on this horse???

or are you saying to bet the horse anyways hoping he will miraculously get better???? If this is your choice I would have to assume that you are not very good at gambling......lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Funny you should say that. It was all I could do to recoup my $199 initial investment reselling the Pre, even though I had three sets of accessories and batteries from replacement models and a car charger. Hero has better resale value, and for good reason.

I just checked eBay and almost 300 Palm Pre phones are on sale. Only 74 Hero phones are. Of the almost 300 Pre phones, more than half are used. Or more plainly, there are twice as many used Pre phones on that prominent marketplace than there are Hero phones - used, new, whatever - combined.
    Pre has been in the market for 174 days. Sprint Hero has been in the market only 47 days. Once the Hero has been out for longer than a month and one-half...you will see more of them on ebay. Just saying.

It seems we all want that perfect smartphone (including me) and no one...not Palm, Google, RIM, or Apple can (or wants to) meet ALL of our demands/wants. I think WebOs is at its core the best OS, but Palm has a lot of work ahead to develop that core and get me closer to what I really want out of my chosen device.
    does that mean you are going to be hanging around the HTC forums from now on?
    I have the same problem. I think it has to do with the antenna not holding a signal or in my case, having a signal of 5 bars and being in 1x mode and not being able to connect a call or send text messages.