Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I have had the opportunity to compare what is being billed as the "best WM phone ever" (HD2) with the Palm Pre and thought I would share my views.

Battery Life - About the same under the same usage conditions - both see me through 24 hrs with moderate usage. (=)

Screen - HD2 Wins - simply gorgeous 4.3 in display - but then you would expect that given the size and higher resolution. (+1HD2)

"Snapiness" HD2 wins in terms of navigating the GUI, particularly in the areas of email and messaging. (+1 HD2)

Browsing, Hd2 big screen is nice and it has multi touch like the Pre but Pre wins in terms of browser speed (compare to Opera on the HD2) (+1 Pre))

Ergonomics - Pre is better in the hand (+1Pre)

Build Quality - HD2 wins - feels like a slab of titanium (+1HD2)

Multi tasking - both do this, but WebOS GUI makes it MUCH more of a useable feature. (+1Pre)

Mulitimedia - HD2 wins for video recording, 5mp camera etc.
    But Pre wins for its music player - it is more responsive and it keeps album tracks in the right order which the HD2 does not (maybe it's something I am doing?) (=)

Ease of navigation around GUI - Pre wins hands down, HTC Sense is pretty, but feels cluttered compared to the Pre and sometimes drops you into old WM style screens. This is a biggy for me, I have only had my Pre for 2 weeks and already I find even the Sense interface clunky (+1Pre)

Phone - about equal (=)

Social networking integration - Pre wins with Synergy, HD2 does it but you sometimes have to intervene manually and it only does facebook. (+1Pre)

Official App stores - Winmo has slightly more apps atm, quality wise, about the same. (=)

Ease of updates (firmware) - Pre wins - frequent improvements with very little user intervention required, WM has few updates and requires a "flash then re-install everything by hand" process. (+1Pre)

Overall, the Pre wins it for me, mainly due to the pure genius of the webOS interface which is minimalist chic compared to HTC sense's bling. WebOS is just so natural to use! Palm need to fix one or 2 missing features (like video recording) and build quality but beyond that, the Pre IMHO is the superior device.
    Quote Originally Posted by adesonic View Post
    I have had the opportunity to compare what is being billed as the "best WM phone ever" (HD2) with the Palm Pre and thought I would share my views.

Battery Life - About the same under the same usage conditions - both see me through 24 hrs with moderate usage. (=)

Screen - HD2 Wins - simply gorgeous 4.3 in display - but then you would expect that given the size and higher resolution. (+1HD2)

"Snapiness" HD2 wins in terms of navigating the GUI, particularly in the areas of email and messaging. (+1 HD2)

Browsing, Hd2 big screen is nice and it has multi touch like the Pre but Pre wins in terms of browser speed (compare to Opera on the HD2) (+1 Pre))

Ergonomics - Pre is better in the hand (+1Pre)

Build Quality - HD2 wins - feels like a slab of titanium (+1HD2)

Multi tasking - both do this, but WebOS GUI makes it MUCH more of a useable feature. (+1Pre)

Mulitimedia - HD2 wins for video recording, 5mp camera etc.
    But Pre wins for its music player - it is more responsive and it keeps album tracks in the right order which the HD2 does not (maybe it's something I am doing?) (=)

Ease of navigation around GUI - Pre wins hands down, HTC Sense is pretty, but feels cluttered compared to the Pre and sometimes drops you into old WM style screens. This is a biggy for me, I have only had my Pre for 2 weeks and already I find even the Sense interface clunky (+1Pre)

Phone - about equal (=)

Social networking integration - Pre wins with Synergy, HD2 does it but you sometimes have to intervene manually and it only does facebook. (+1Pre)

Official App stores - Winmo has slightly more apps atm, quality wise, about the same. (=)

Ease of updates (firmware) - Pre wins - frequent improvements with very little user intervention required, WM has few updates and requires a "flash then re-install everything by hand" process. (+1Pre)

Overall, the Pre wins it for me, mainly due to the pure genius of the webOS interface which is minimalist chic compared to HTC sense's bling. WebOS is just so natural to use! Palm need to fix one or 2 missing features (like video recording) and build quality but beyond that, the Pre IMHO is the superior device.
    haven't used the HTC much but the little bit I did I can say once you have used WebOS it's like going back in time to use any other interface....there's no turning back! WE have to make sure Palm keeps going forward because I can't go back to the stone age now that I know there's a wheel!
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    how bout WebOS on HD2 hardware ?????
    That would be a killer device.
    There You Go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I had an HTC phone previous to my Pre. Although webOS blows WinMo out of the water in just about every respect, HTC makes some damn good quality devices. My Mogul felt solid as a rock, despite the fact that it had a slide-out keyboard. No wiggles.. no jiggles.. just a rock in my hand. I hope Palm's next device has that same feel.
    well your prayers are answered. pre is doing recording!
    "best WM phone ever"

I kinda had to stop reading the topic there....I could never go back to WM phone until they totally revamp that OS. It is horrible and outdated compared to WebOS and Android.

My friend just bought a HTC TP2, and I used it for a couple minutes. Was barely any more advanced than my old Touch(Not Pro). And after months of using a PRE, it just felt too big and clunky....although durable. Wonder why they didnt release the HD2 with android on it?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review. I have been following the HD2 for awhile now and was hatin on that it was going to TMob. I will say that having played around with the Iphone, Hero and having the Pre since launch, I wont go back to WinMo. Android is nice but when I ask my wife to do a couple things at one time, she cant. I tried the same with Iphone and couldnt. It made me appreciate exactly what WebOS can do. Going to WinMo or Android aint gonna happen for me.

As far as what would make the Pre better, yeah, better build, video, Sd slot and slightly bigger keyboard (IMO) and I would be a very happy man. Its too bad WebOS doesnt get the attention of the lemmings who only go to a Iphone because it has the apps, seriously, a girl I worked with only got an Iphone because she wanted apps. I tried to talked to her, but she was so dead set on apps she got the Iphone. I told her Verizon might be getting it so stick with them but , what do I know, she went to AT&T and said she will swich back to Verizon if they get it . WebOS makes handling multitasking a breeze, yeah, Im not going back either!
    But if WebOS is on HD2, there is no keyboard which doesn't work for me.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sportg21 View Post
    There You Go
    Thanks and here is my $ 1000.00
    Send it to me quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    My Mogul felt solid as a rock, despite the fact that it had a slide-out keyboard. No wiggles.. no jiggles.. just a rock in my hand.
    Wow... I must say, my Mogul was the worst device I have ever owned, in build quality (felt like it would fall apart from a stiff breeze), performance, battery life, etc., etc. And, my Touch Pro wasn't much better--pressing on the screen made a noise like scratching fingernails across a chalkboard.

I swore that I would never buy another HTC device again. Just goes to show you how one person's experience may not be the same as another's...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Web os on tp2 hardware would be killer... Just would need a capacitive touch screen... Ahhh how nice... WM sucks!!! Never again.. Its just way to glitchy for me...
    You can get Opera on a WM phone so that is another plus for the HD2
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I could never go back to WM now despite the fact that I used it for 6 years in various guises, the interface is just too clunky, as for the iphone, my sister has one, but after seing my Pre she wants to swap (I said no), my wife who previously has always used "dumb" phones now wants me to get her a Pre for Christmas - things are getting out of hand!!!
    The HD2 is the first phone that's really gotten me looking back at HTC ever since I got burned with the drivers fiasco with the HTC Kaiser/TyTN II (and since they didn't learn their lesson for 2 subsequent generations of devices).

Even the depth with which Sense TouchFlo is "covering up" WinMo (and also the latest WinMo builds) is making me think something impressive is occurring.

I'm still skeptical, but I could say that when the price becomes right, I wouldn't mind snagging myself an HD2.