Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    That's right, the Droid, not Android as a whole, has just about matched the entire WebOS for mobile usage. Check it out:

http://www.androidcentral.com/admob-...-droid-popular

According to these stats, WebOS accounts for 5% of SmartPhone usage. Android accounts for 20%, with the Droid accounting for 24% of that. That's almost 1/4 of the 20% figure, which is just about 5%.

As the article says:

Considering that the DROID has only been available for a few weeks, the fact that it's already gained so much ground on the other, more entrenched Android devices is simply stunning.
    As is the fact that it's gained so much on other OS's, including WebOS.

Palm keeps shooting itself in the foot while it's competitors move forward.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Well considering the sheer volume of Verizon costumers and the lack of cool phones on their network I would say its pretty easy to accomplish this feat. I really do anticipate Android's market penetration to have a huge snowball effect tho. Having options for your carrier makes a WORLD of difference.
    Seems like this is the wrong forum for this. There's a forum here to discuss other devices and other operating systems.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It may be the Droid but it's still the Android OS we're talking about. I don't think it's a fair comparison.
    Let's not forget Sprint still had almost 50 mil customers and a big lack of cool phones prior to the Pre launch. Face it, the Droid had a better launch, much better effective advertising, more polished features, and key features that make it stand out such as a big high res screen and free google Nav.

Still, admob provides service for android and iphone apps.
    Lots of great news in that article. First it seems that WebOS has already passed WM. It also should be noted those numbers are based on US web requests that means strictly the Sprint WebOS devices. Once WebOS hits other US carriers it will climb much quicker. Another data point is that many of us have the patch that identifies our devices as iphones to web servers to get better formatting for the Pre.

Regardless, 5% is a big number for Palm with only Sprint pedaling their products.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Palm did make a mistake by not marketing the Pre better. Verizon marketed the heck out of the Droid and it is working. However, one cannot deny the affect of Verizon finally getting a decent phone in their lineup.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I think that unfortunately this reflects what we have all known for awhile now palm is toast, even by the time they get to verizon droid is going to be so far ahead. The constant bad reviews about build quality, lack of apps, palm losing peoples contacts and the loss of itunes sync will cost palm a lot of momentum. Without itunes sync and trust in the cloud to store your info palm is left with only multitasking to be its claim to fame.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I think that unfortunately this reflects what we have all known for awhile now palm is toast, even by the time they get to verizon droid is going to be so far ahead. The constant bad reviews about build quality, lack of apps, palm losing peoples contacts and the loss of itunes sync will cost palm a lot of momentum. Without itunes sync and trust in the cloud to store your info palm is left with only multitasking to be its claim to fame.
    Palm being toast is a bit off. They have carved out a niche of devoted users and are still, by most accounts, selling WebOs devices. Lets say that Droid sells 100,000,000 before next week, and then Palm sells 100,000? If you make money, you stay relevant.

Why does ATT sell more than just the IPhone? Because the existance of the Iphone and its 20 million users does not preclude the possibility of another phone being successfull selling a fraction of that amount.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

So this says that right after the Droid is released, there is a ton of web browsing with it. Not a surprise. Then a couple months after it is released, people aren't browsing as much with them.

This really only talks about amount of web browsing. Unless I'm missing something.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Don't confuse market share with profitability.

The poster child of the difference between the two is Apple. Apple's market share in the computer market is minuscule compared to any other manufacturer. But you know what? They're making money hand over fist off that market share, and hence stay in business.

I'm not saying that this will be the case for Palm (and they certainly can't command the same prices for their products that Apple can), but don't get the two mixed up.
    Sounds like wishful thinking to me

Don't you worry. Palm is going to be just fine.

I like Android but I think Android will eventually become another WM because there will be so many different devices out there. There is such a lack of hardware standardization and that leads to too many versions of the Android OS out there.

Right now we already have 3 versions of android on the market (1.5, 1.6 and 2.0) and 4 different skins. The Sprint Hero can't get 2.0 because it has HTC's touch sense on it. Updates are going to be slow and hard to come by in Android land. Most users will end up having to buy a new handset to get the latest version.

Sure there are lots of Android apps out there but most of them can only run on one particular phone. Just ask the Verizon Droid folk, 90% of the app catalog will not run on Android 2.0 yet, and many apps can't even run on 1.6.

Palm controlling the hardware and the software is following apples model which in my opinion is much better than the Android / WM model.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    AdMob Stats Shows That Android Is Growing & DROID Is Wildly Popular
    Posted on Tuesday, Nov 24, 2009 by Casey Chan

AdMob just released some statistics detailing the mobile web space detailing usage, device market share, and other data that shines a rather flattering light on the Android platform. Considering it's been only a year since the T-Mobile G1 first launched and considering again that most of that year was spent with only one device, it's rather impressive how quickly Android has shot up the statistics. According to AdMob, 20% of US mobile web traffic comes from Android devices, which is a solid second in overall rankings. Imagine how much it'll be when recent Android devices like the DROID and Hero actually are available for longer than a month.

In another graphic (after the jump), it provides a breakdown of web traffic among all Android devices. Here's the nuts and bolts:

* HTC Dream - 36%
    * Motorola DROID - 24%
    * HTC Magic - 21%
    * HTC Hero - 8%
    * Motorola CLIQ - 6%
    * Other - 5%

ok now web os has 5% of total and android has 20% and droid has 20%of that 20% so where do you figure its the same as webos???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Given that WebOS and Android are both Linux, and that Android is open source, how impossible is it to imagine that, once Palm opens up the ability to write binary applications, an "Android" app environment, kinda like classic but not an emulator, can be made to run on WebOS? I'd imagine it's entirely possible that WebOS will able to become an "Android" phone of sorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ok now web os has 5% of total and android has 20% and droid has 20%of that 20% so where do you figure its the same as webos???
    Burn!! Almost. It is a sad thing that neither Palm nor Sprint marketed their webOS device(s) properly. But webOS *is* still just an infant. It's only begun learning to communicate with us, while we've begun learning what it likes to eat and what it regurgitates. Just about right now is the time where it's starting to get secure and build on top of the basics. I can't wait for another year. Not a whole lot today will be the same by the time my Pre is about to graduate high school in 12 months. Maybe hair and eye color. Not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Still, admob provides service for android and iphone apps.
    I wonder if my ad-blocking web browser helps skew these results any. YESSS.
    Are you being sarcastic that 4.8 is not the "same" as 5?

WebOS, 5% of market share.
    Android, 20% of market share.
    Droid, 24% of Android Sales = 4.8% of market share (.24 X .20 X 100)

Need some real world numbers?
    100 Phones total. webOS has 5. Android has 20. Droid makes up 24% of the Android's 20. 24% of the Android's 20 = 4.8. Droid makes up 4.8 of the 100 phones to 5 for webOS.....not same but pretty darn close.

Maybe Palm deserves to fail based on it's "users"
    Sorry, but these "stats" are total crap. There is no way the Droid has sold as many units as the Pre. For this to be true, the Droid would have to have outpaced Storm sales by 62%.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Remember...this isn't sales figures (necessarily). This is web traffic.

Regardless of sales figures, it is completely possible that Android users "visit" the sites that are tracked by AdMob more than Pre users.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Palm being toast is a bit off. They have carved out a niche of devoted users and are still, by most accounts, selling WebOs devices. Lets say that Droid sells 100,000,000 before next week, and then Palm sells 100,000? If you make money, you stay relevant.
    The problem with that is that if Palm really only sells 1% of what Android sells (or even 10%) they'll have a much harder time convincing developers to write for the platform. Especially when writing for WebOS requires a completely different set of tools and language skills than writing for other apps. If you're a developer of mobile software, you're probably already targeting the iPhone. Now you're going to target a second OS. Do you choose Android, with (in your example) a hundred million handsets and the ability to program in the same language you use for the iPhone? Or do you choose WebOS, with a 100,000 handsets and the need to start your development from scratch, in a different language? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

AdMob Stats Shows That Android Is Growing & DROID Is Wildly Popular
    Posted on Tuesday, Nov 24, 2009 by Casey Chan

Your math (or reading comprehension) isn't too good. Droid has 24% of the 20%. That's a fourth of 20, or 5. OK, it's actually 4.8%, but that's still pretty darn close to 5%, especially given the difference in how long the phones have been available.

Regardless, it certainly indicates Droid's market penetration is moving much, much faster than the Pre.

So sorry.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 11/25/2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Bob Meyer
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by xImtc View Post
    Given that WebOS and Android are both Linux, and that Android is open source, how impossible is it to imagine that, once Palm opens up the ability to write binary applications, an "Android" app environment, kinda like classic but not an emulator, can be made to run on WebOS? I'd imagine it's entirely possible that WebOS will able to become an "Android" phone of sorts.
    Seems pretty unlikely to me. First, Palm has given no indication they intend to ever open WebOS up to low level programming languages. Second, If Palm becomes just another Android environment, what is the reason to buy one? Other Android phones offer better hardware quality, and more options in terms of form factor. I suppose there are some that would buy a Pre for the vertical keyboard / touchscreen combination, but that's a pretty small niche.
    Bob Meyer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast