Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    Remember...this isn't sales figures (necessarily). This is web traffic.

Regardless of sales figures, it is completely possible that Android users "visit" the sites that are tracked by AdMob more than Pre users.
    you can put me down all you want ,but first get some real numbers . this stuff is bogus imo. and like this guy said its a sham wow !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    So in other words, you're going up against the cold, hard numbers that AdMob has collected just because it sounds unpalatable to you.

And you also have dubious mathematical abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    So in other words, you're going up against the cold, hard numbers that AdMob has collected just because it sounds unpalatable to you.

Determining market share based on web browsing stats is a notoriously inaccurate methodology. No single company's data can reliably estimate market share. The only semi-reliable figures can be obtained from companies who conglomerate data from several sources and account for errors.

So the claim that Android has 20% market share is already questionable. Then they add on that 24% of Android market share belongs to the Droid. One unreliable statistic piled on top of another. And we're supposed to buy this wholesale?

This site lists Firefox's market share at nearly 48%. I guess IE is dead.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Please note I am not arguing to determine *market share* based on *web browsing statistics*. That is why I said: "Remember...this isn't sales figures. This is web traffic." (post 18.) Anyone who assumes that these statistics are saying anything about sales figures is incorrect from the outset.

And I understand your challenge that even this sample of web traffic (whatever sites AdMob checks) may not be generalizable to the general web. That is why I also said: "it is completely possible that Android users "visit" the sites tracked by AdMob more than pre users." (also post 18)

On the other hand, the AdMob data gives us data that is consistent and comparable with itself over time. Regardless of if it is generalizable to the general web, for the sliver that AdMob probes, there are trends relating to the Droid with respect to Android devices (just as there are trends relating to WebOS devices.)
    Last edited by subversiveasset; 11/25/2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: clarity in self-quotation
    Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    Don't confuse market share with profitability.

The poster child of the difference between the two is Apple. Apple's market share in the computer market is minuscule compared to any other manufacturer. But you know what? They're making money hand over fist off that market share, and hence stay in business.

I'm not saying that this will be the case for Palm (and they certainly can't command the same prices for their products that Apple can), but don't get the two mixed up.
    True but Apple has maintained that profitability by pricing their product 50% - 100% more than their competitors offerings and creating an almost cult like following.

I am not sure Palm can compete with Apple in that market segment since Apple already has a stranglehold on it and is much better at it than Palm (or anyone else for that matter).
    "Motorola Might Sell 1M Droids By Year's End"

"estimates place current sales between 700,000 and 800,000. That makes reaching the one million units sold milestone (pun intended) within Motorola's grasp."

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...RSKH4ATMY32JVN

Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Sorry, but these "stats" are total crap. There is no way the Droid has sold as many units as the Pre. For this to be true, the Droid would have to have outpaced Storm sales by 62%.
    Quote Originally Posted by kfra315 View Post
    Well considering the sheer volume of Verizon costumers and the lack of cool phones on their network I would say its pretty easy to accomplish this feat. I really do anticipate Android's market penetration to have a huge snowball effect tho. Having options for your carrier makes a WORLD of difference.
    I see it the other way. The Droid is the first Android device sold in the US by a major carrier. For most of the last year it has been a T-Mobile only device.
    Quote Originally Posted by kfra315 View Post
    Well considering the sheer volume of Verizon costumers and the lack of cool phones on their network I would say its pretty easy to accomplish this feat. I really do anticipate Android's market penetration to have a huge snowball effect tho. Having options for your carrier makes a WORLD of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I see it the other way. The Droid is the first Android device sold in the US by a major carrier. For most of the last year it has been a T-Mobile only device.

either way, the move to Verizon for the pre could mean a huge bump in sales, and, with advertising, almost certainly will.

It may not outsell the Droid on Verizon, but since the pre currently isn't even available to those customers, it will sell better on Verizon than it does right now, that is a given

verizon has taken a strong imposing, mountain-dew infused take on there droid advertising. there maybe a segment of the verizon customer base that is waiting for a more "friendly" iphone competitor, and, I would guess they will push the Pre from that angle.

although i have to say, the old pre adds were way more intimidating and scary than the droid ads.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If you're a developer of mobile software, you're probably already targeting the iPhone. Now you're going to target a second OS. Do you choose Android, with (in your example) a hundred million handsets and the ability to program in the same language you use for the iPhone? Or do you choose WebOS, with a 100,000 handsets and the need to start your development from scratch, in a different language? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.
    Actually the programming language used for Android is Java and iPhone apps are written in Objective-C. The other smartphone OS platform which uses Java is RIM's Blackberry OS. Of course Java is probably much easier for an Objective-C programmer to adopt than Javascript.

The platforms that are targetted will of course depend on the application but iPhone, Blackberry and Android seem the most popular choices these days. In the old days it was PalmOS and Windows Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    verizon has taken a strong imposing, mountain-dew infused take on there droid advertising. there maybe a segment of the verizon customer base that is waiting for a more "friendly" iphone competitor, and, I would guess they will push the Pre from that angle.

although i have to say, the old pre adds were way more intimidating and scary than the droid ads.
    Ain't that the truth.

And I like your "mountain-dew infused take" on Verizon's advertising. That is definitely accurate, and that's what every smartphone company should be doing if they plan to ADVERTISE features, advantages, & benefits (there's too many). If I want to sell something, I'm gonna ram every feature down your throat... not put you to sleep with nightmares of some pale lesbian. Good God.
    Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    Don't confuse market share with profitability.

The poster child of the difference between the two is Apple. Apple's market share in the computer market is minuscule compared to any other manufacturer. But you know what? They're making money hand over fist off that market share, and hence stay in business.
    i think it should be noted that according the Apple's SEC filings more then half of apple's 2009 Q3 revenue comes from Ipods, iphones, and music sales. That is none computer stuff. Those three areas account for 4.14 Billion dollars in revenue while desktops and laptops account for 3.33 billion. It should also be noted that the remaining revenue of 869 million comes from "software, services, and peripherals." What that all entails requires a more detailed reading and i have to get back to important work of prestiging again in Modern Warfare 2, but i think one could argue that in some way that could at least partially be related to computers. But it could also be non computer items like apple tv, data storage, tech support, etc. So possibly related to computers. But i think the salient point about Apple that at least investors are well aware of is that that 3.33 billion dollars that is compter sales has been in freefall in recent years. Desktops revenue is down 20+% and laptops are down 2%. Hey maybe some of that is the economy. but the decline started in desktop sales has hit all PC manufactures and has been going on for a while so i doubt it's just an economy thing. By contrast Ipods are down 11% from last year. But Iphone sales up 303% from last year. Music up 17% from last year this time.

It is right though to point out it's also about profitability for palm. Apple is good cause they are profitable and consistently so. You're absolutely right that apple has other stuff to fall back on. Which means they can afford to make a lot more mistakes then say Palm. But the Ipod and the Iphone are Apple's bread and butter right now. Not it's computer sales. That stuff is declining. At least at the moment.
    Palm is finished. They were once a household name and the leader in smartdevice technology. But once on top palm chose to rest on its laurels instead of pressing forward. Look at how dated palm os was. Other than a few new tweaks in each new version it was basically the same. At the time this was acceptable because it worked well and nobody else had anything nearly as good. But then apple came along and made the iphone and now palm has been caught with their pants down. So they rush an unfinished peice of garbage out the door and try to pass it off as the new iphone killer. When what it really is, is the Palm Killer!! Android and iphone and soon even Dell are going to keep putting out better products that work with tons of developer support and palm along with the pre is going to join a long list of failed and now obselete products. The beta max, laser disc, and now web os.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugluv67 View Post
    Palm is finished. They were once a household name and the leader in smartdevice technology. But once on top palm chose to rest on its laurels instead of pressing forward. Look at how dated palm os was. Other than a few new tweaks in each new version it was basically the same. At the time this was acceptable because it worked well and nobody else had anything nearly as good. But then apple came along and made the iphone and now palm has been caught with their pants down. So they rush an unfinished peice of garbage out the door and try to pass it off as the new iphone killer. When what it really is, is the Palm Killer!! Android and iphone and soon even Dell are going to keep putting out better products that work with tons of developer support and palm along with the pre is going to join a long list of failed and now obselete products. The beta max, laser disc, and now web os.

lol dude u gotta beef with palm?

the iphone came out. and not just palm but caught everyone with their pants down.. but that doesnt make the pre a obsolete product..lol every phone has negatives even your precious iphone..i grew up on windows mobile. and still to this day is the best os out there if u know how to tweak it. which most iphone users DONT...why u ask!! cause the majority of iphone users are upper class soccer moms. and males between 18 and 30 who follow trends.. and rich kids who want one.. the smart ones are the ones who jailbreak. but that is prolly 10% of all iphone users..lol my 11 year old girl asked if she could get a iphone.. or a ipod..i said why? well cause so and so has one..lol so there u go i rest my case.. she is prefectly ok with her lg rumor and $30.00 sero line.. no way in hell would i pay over 80+ a month for me to have a iphone let alone my 11yr old girl.lol

if i like windows so much why do i own a pre? cause i recognize that webos can be the future if the cards go right for palm.. plus i needed a break from making roms and messing with windows mobile.. wife was getting mad,lol with the pre install a few patches and themes. and apps. and im good to go.lol
    While i dont agree with your opinion, i appreciate the feedback. You have a pint though. I have a friend who had an iphone for 2 years before i showed him how to jailbreak it. Now he loves it even more. He originally only got it cuz he thought it was cool. I didnt really want one at first. Ive been using treos since the 600 and i was extremely happy with my treo. But it became dated and palm never really upgraded it. I had a short stint with win mobile using an HTC MOGUL. It was a horrendous experience that soured me on win mobile for good.
    Its funny that you brought up the LG Rumor because my girlfriend has one and it has more functions than my Pre. She paid $50 bucks for it I paid $600 for my Pre. So yeah i guess your right i do have some issues with palm.

But thanks again for the constructive points you made.
    well my figures are based on what i see around my town and church..and when shopping with the wife.. etc..im out and about everyday..so i see alot..and when at school functions. most moms. are using their iphones to take pics of the kiddos... and its worse at soccer games.lol im sitting there with my pre snapping one after another and not missing a beat. while everyone else is cussing cause they missed the shot trying to take a pic.lol

my point is just based on what i see around me,,and a few friends and family who own the iphone.. as far as the rumor goes.. ya it may do alot of things but its slow doing so if your using the the net for anything 1x sucks. but it was free and my girl love it..

anyway. im sorry if my rant seemed to attack u.. i just get ****ed when people come out and say this sucks or this is better..my thing is who the fn cares.. im happy with my pre.. my wife is happy with her lotus.. and u will be happy i guess with the iphone.. but why bash stuff if your not happy.. why complain about this or that..what does that really do? just start more trouble...

me and my brother in law get into the whole att and iphone vs sprint and any smartphone ( mostly wm ) and he works for att in customer service. we go round after round on the subject..til i give up..cause i get tired of his excuses why att and the iphone are better than basicly everybody.. my main point was..price and network..sprint has never failed me in both...att goes from 3g to edge all the time..where i live.. and they dont case bout the country people that live out in the middle of woods like i do..sprint has a tower like 2 miles from me.. but he still goes on bout this and that. while im like ok whatever..

Its like trying to convert a baptist to being a atheist.. they wont listen even though u have valid points.lol

ok rant over goodluck with att and your iphone.. over and out!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritcrusher34 View Post
    me and my brother in law get into the whole att and iphone vs sprint and any smartphone ( mostly wm ) and he works for att in customer service. we go round after round on the subject..til i give up..cause i get tired of his excuses why att and the iphone are better than basicly everybody..
    Why would you bash AT&T and the iPhone when talking to your brother-in-law when he works for AT&T? Do you just like to fight with your in-laws.
    im only bashing so to speak with him..but only talk bout coverage and price.. and for me sprint wins hands down.. evdo Rev A everywhere i go.and that is 15 miles in the country..his att is all edge. and when u get into town 3g is very spotty..

so for me im paying 59 a month with sprint for unlimited calling unlimited data unlimited text. unlimited nav. with perfect coverage..everywhere i go. thats the only thing i gripe to him about.. sprint works for me.. att and the iphone would be too much a month and spotty if any 3g coverage.... personally i really dont care bout what people spend or use.. i just get tired of idiots who post on forums and think they can be rude and ugly instead of nice and respectful... I rarely post. just because of that simple fact..so most of the time i ignore things just this guy struck a nerve with me..thats all...whatever...its all good..
    lol im sitting there with my pre snapping one after another and not missing a beat. while everyone else is cussing cause they missed the shot trying to take a pic.lol
    Its like trying to convert a baptist to being a atheist.. they wont listen even though u have valid points.lol
    just a comment. not that your wrong. But i think the first quote sort of illustrates a belief that the pre and webos are arguably better then the Iphone and the second quote illudes to the fact that they some can't be reasoned with about the merits of something other then the iphone.

I would offer this comment. I think for many people that pre is better is open to debate and that what you care about is less important to many people. like they don't care that much that the camera is slow becaue they care much more about the ease of carrying their music where ever they want to. in a much slicker and more responsive ipod interface. I've mentioned it before, most popular apps in the itunes store are games and social networking. two things iphones do well and Palm is just now getting a relatively lackluster facebook client and doesn't hold a candle to iphone games wise.

Someone said, "my daughter wants it cause so and so has it." Palm users dismiss that as stupid trendiness or whatever. But people who sell product know that and becoming trendy is a calculated part of selling products. You see it in clothing. That's what nike did. Cars as well. And in the 80s people wanted a Sony Walkman. Didn't much matter for years that others make tape players.

selling phones these days is about a lot more then just the phone. And i think though it has it's short comings the iphone offers the biggest overall package of good social networking, audio, video, email, etc. And i think specifically audio video many other phones are severely, as my dad would say half assed efforts.They aren't nearly as tight a package as the itunes, itunes store, audio video player package that apple offers.

And the massive majority of consumers have no interest in hacking a phone. So if you're Palm you don't try to appeal to the people that will tolerate a need to hack a phone and aim to satisfy the larger majority that want features out of the box.
    im only bashing so to speak with him..but only talk bout coverage and price.. and for me sprint wins hands down.. evdo Rev A everywhere i go.and that is 15 miles in the country..his att is all edge. and when u get into town 3g is very spotty..

so for me im paying 59 a month with sprint for unlimited calling unlimited data unlimited text. unlimited nav. with perfect coverage..everywhere i go. thats the only thing i gripe to him about.. sprint works for me.. att and the iphone would be too much a month and spotty if any 3g coverage.... personally i really dont care bout what people spend or use.. i just get tired of idiots who post on forums and think they can be rude and ugly instead of nice and respectful... I rarely post. just because of that simple fact..so most of the time i ignore things just this guy struck a nerve with me..thats all...whatever...its all good..
    I think its rude of you to bash AT&T when speaking to your brother-in-law.
    I think it's rude of you to tell him that you think it's rude for him to bash his brother in-law.

So fuxin' what?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast