Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

Has anyone done a comparison of the Palm Pre and HTC HERO? We all know the issues with the Pre and what we wish it could do. But just wondering if these Android Phones are better then the Palm Pre and WebOS

I dont know anything about the HERO but wondering how it compares to the Palm Pre. It seems the Apps are better.

Any thoughts?
    I played with one in the Sprint store while waiting for them to test my battery and replace it for the third time. They are pretty cool, a lot different of a UI so I wasn't able to really see all the features.

If you're curious go to a Sprint store and try it out. There are WAY more apps in their app store, depressing. I also noticed almost all the apps have a free trial period, unlike the Pre App Catalog.
    Try the 'cross platform' chat.
    Just puttting it out there, my friend at work has a Hero. The Sense UI is smooth, but the rest of the phone is super slow. I even installed a custom ROM on it for him that was SUPER light, and the Pre easily outperforms it.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I currently have both, and it's difficult to really compare them because it really depends on what you use them for. The Pre's gestures and cardview are a plus, but the Hero's trackball, smudge-resistant screen, and UI are pluses on its end. I find the Hero fills every need that I have, but so does the Pre. In reality, I see the Pre as more of a device for users who may not want to get too techy, and the Hero for tech/business. I'm the IT Manager at my company and I like both, but prefer the Hero on some days, the Pre on others. The Hero is definitely solidly built, and hardware quality does not feel cheap. I've had a few different HTC devices, and they all stand out in hardware and build quality. The Pre feels more like a toy, plasticky, to me, even with the TS back.

I've not had lag in one more than the other.

Of course, apps for the Hero are plentiful, but WebOS apps are moving right along and will mature with time.

It would really take more than playing with a Hero at the store, because personalization is a big portion of what may or may not attract you to it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Everyone, Especially jye75. Yeah, i'll hold out another 6 months to see what each platform has to offer. I've had my Pre since Launch and have waited-out for all updates and feautres thus far...

So' Ill keep some loyalty and just watch for progression and competitors to see what's out there.

I like to stay ahead of the Game with the latest technology....and so far Palm Pre is till holding on. Palm already knows they need to get on the Ball with the App Store. I just hope they do so soon before they loose customers for themselves and Sprint.

Thanks!
    FWIW- I tried the HTC hero, and after playing with it for 2 hours I exchanged it for the Pre. I was very skeptical about the pre but ended up loving it.
    The HTC has a crappy build, worse than the Pre IMO. Not to mention how ugly it is.
    The touchscreen sucks, this was the biggest dealbreaker for me. I had to keep tapping the same thing to get it to work. Also the browser is slow, like you drag around and it's very laggy. The Pre browser is much better, even if it's not quite like the iPhone's Safari yet.

Of course theres a lot more apps for android.. so you have to judge how important that is for you. But as far as the phone itself and the OS, Pre wins.

I recommend you to go to the store, and play around with the Hero for a bit.
    <<moved to correct forum>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've had a hero for three weeks and am thinking about exchanging it for a Pre. The keyboard lag drives me crazy, but this lag appears inconsistently. I really like the Hero's keyboard in horizontal mode, but don't find it convenient to use frequently. The Hero's vertical keyboard is much worse than the pre's.
    I do like the Apps, and love how well it integrates with google's various applications. I also like the smudge resistant screen.

I need to make up my mind soon, I've only got a couple of weeks to decide.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
    I've had a hero for three weeks and am thinking about exchanging it for a Pre. The keyboard lag drives me crazy, but this lag appears inconsistently. I really like the Hero's keyboard in horizontal mode, but don't find it convenient to use frequently. The Hero's vertical keyboard is much worse than the pre's.
    I do like the Apps, and love how well it integrates with google's various applications. I also like the smudge resistant screen.

I need to make up my mind soon, I've only got a couple of weeks to decide.
    I don't have any keyboard lag at all, and I find the vertical keyboard to be much better than the Pre's, simply because there is more surface area to hit and I don't have to use my fingernails to type. I will say that the Pre's e-mail deletion process is much better than the Hero's.
    I had a Hero for a few weeks and returned it. The lag was a joke and if you enjoy browsing the internet forget about it. The browser on that phone is really slow.
    I liked the widgets on the Hero and Android but that was about it. The apps for android are so overrated. They may have 10k apps but the majority of them suck and not worth downloading. Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I agree, the internet browsing on the Hero could use a speed boost, but the difference between it and the Pre for me is negligible.
    Heh, I said much of what was being said here months ago. :P

Android is a decent OS, it has strengths and weaknesses, but the HERO is an underpowered unit for the SenseUI, and my biggest complaint was the intermittent keyboard lag.

I've played with Android from an original Dev phone to the Droid, and I still think Android has alot of optimizations that need to be done. WebOS is lacking some things as well, but imo, it's a decent piece of hardware (Pre) that doesn't suffer the same critical issues that Android does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Heh, I said much of what was being said here months ago. :P

Android is a decent OS, it has strengths and weaknesses, but the HERO is an underpowered unit for the SenseUI, and my biggest complaint was the intermittent keyboard lag.

I've played with Android from an original Dev phone to the Droid, and I still think Android has alot of optimizations that need to be done. WebOS is lacking some things as well, but imo, it's a decent piece of hardware (Pre) that doesn't suffer the same critical issues that Android does.
    I haven't experienced keyboard lag but I've experienced haptic feedback "lag". If you type too fast, the little motor can't keep up and it will skip vibrating for a letter. Really throws me off. I ended up turning off the haptic feedback. I agree that the Hero is a bit underpowered (I still prefer it to my old Pre). I was kind of confused when the OP said something about wanting to have the latest and greatest. If you're looking for something more cutting edge than the Pre, it might be an andriod phone but it's not the Hero. You can tell from all the back on forth on the forums that the Hero is comparable to the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    I agree, the internet browsing on the Hero could use a speed boost, but the difference between it and the Pre for me is negligible.
    Yeah, the browser is the only point where I notice that the Hero is definitely slower than the Pre. The browser fires up faster on the Hero but web pages can take a few seconds longer to load. It's not entirely deal breaking though. I'm playing around with some of the other browsers and trying to decide whether or not they're quicker at all. Dolphin seems pretty good.
    Last edited by eightdrunkengods; 11/24/2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling!
    I have had the Sprint Hero since Oct. 14th until today. I decided about a week and a half ago to try out the Palm Pre after playing with one at the Sprint store. Being a former Treo, iPhone 3g, and HTC myTouch 3g Android phone user. I have to say that the Pre is the best phone I have ever used to date... I will be writing a comparison review on why I like the Pre better soon.

Oh, and my Hero just went bye bye today on eBay.
    After having both for over 2 weeks now. I will likely be switching to the Hero in January.

I will list some primary items I feel are important.

Build Quality - The Hero wins this easily. The Pre is poorly made and the Hero feels much more solid in your hand and is more durable. You do not see people going through 3-4 Hero's from just normal wear and tear. Even if you have not had much issue with your Pre, you can easily see that Hero is just made to a higher quality.

Battery - With a stock battery, the hero wins this easily. Neither is great on battery life but the Pre is noticeably less (2-4 hours easy).

Screen - The Hero is slightly larger and it is glass. Advantage Hero but both work well. I do not care that the Pre supports more color depth. You will rarely (if ever) realize this.

EDVO - Hero wins this easily and this may be my most eye-opening discovery (for me). After using both in multiple locations (different states/cities) side-by-side, the Hero connects to data services much better and most importantly holds the connection. The Pre cycles in/out of EDVO constantly at times and will timeout applications regularly. Three times in the past week I was attempting to use Sprint Nav on the Pre and it was continuously unable to retrieve the route. I then grabbed the Hero and it connected immediately and the Sprint Nav worked flawlessly. I continued to test this and it was not isolated to Sprint Nav. It behaved in the same manner for the NFL app, SprintTV, Superfan, Youtube, etc... Hero worked flawlessly while the Pre constantly cycled in/out of EDVO and made apps useless. Again, this was in multiple locations (including different cities/states). So it had nothing to do with the location. I also tested this with my wife's Pre (in addition to mine) and experienced the same thing. So it is not isolated to my specific Pre.

Applications - Everyone is aware that this is not even close. Android is much more mature. To make matters worse, many apps that cost $1-$20 on webOS are free on Android and with a much wider selection/variety. Yes allot of them are useless but there are far more useful apps on the android marketplace as well. Right now the app markets would rate as iPhone > Android > Blackberry > Palm. It is the youngest OS however so perhaps Palm can close the gap. I'm just not sure how long this will take at their current pace. If their current pace holds, it will likely be 8-16 months. That is a whole generation of smartphones.

Flash - Hero already supports flash lite and the Pre does not. I did not realize how much I miss this until I was able to browse regularly with it available.

UI - I am going to call this a draw. Both are very unique and have strengths and weaknesses. I really like the Hero's 7 homescreens/widgets. This can place 90% of what I need/use regularly readily available. webOS is very nice in it's navigation and gestures. I am tempted to lean towards the Hero/Android since the UI is much more responsive on the Android in general. Others have stated that Android begins to lag after a few days use. I have not experienced this after almost 3 weeks. On occasion it lags a second but my Pre lags consistently. I have far more double touch/delay issues on my Pre than I have on the Hero. Far more...

Call Quality - Both are comparable. I did not notice any huge difference in call quality between the two. This was for phone, Bluetooth and headphone use. I have had no issues with compatibility of BT devices (Plantronics, Motorola and Jabra) with either phone.

Tethering - Neither is formally supported. The Hero has tethering out of the box. You have to follow a certain sequence for the driver setup and initialization but it is easy and worked flawlessly for me. Some think this may depend on your plan. I have a family shared everything data/messaging. The Pre has tether with a homebrew app. This worked flawlessly up until 1.3.1 and is now somewhat of a mess. The developer has it working again (sort of). But you must patch your Pre each time you want to use it and it disables numerous features on the Pre while patched (Camera, Sprint Nav, etc.). I will give a slight advantage to the Hero, since it's solution is free and pretty straight forward, while the Pre's is currently in limited. Android also has pdanet which is a 3rd party app for tethering.

Storage - The Hero has a media card expansion slot. The Pre has only built in storage. Advantage Hero.

Browsing - The Pre has the clear advantage. The Pre is just better at browsing and does load pages slightly faster. Navigating them on the Pre is more fluid. The Pre is the only phone that comes close to the iPhone (that I have tried). The Hero is certainly acceptable and is probably right behind the Pre. The Hero is better than nearly every other mobile phone I have used. A couple of the other browsers do seem to slightly improve the Hero but it is still not as elegant as the Pre (or iPhone). However, please understand that this advantage is somewhat mitigated by the lack of flash (which is supposed to be coming to webOS).

Edit#1
    Keyboard - I give the slight advantage to the Pre with it's physical keyboard. I prefer physical keyboards. However, the landscape virtual keyboard on the Hero is well done and much more responsive than I thought. Also, the predictive text / auto correct works pretty well. I was really expecting this to be a landslide for the Pre but the Hero's virtual keyboard is well done.

Notifications - The Pre has the advantage here. I like the way the Pre implements notifications and you can simply swipe them away. The Hero has notifications but the system is much less robust and less elegant.

Feel free to ask about a item/topic and I can provide my opinion.
    The EDVO thing is really gnawing at me. A phone of this nature is borderline useless if it can not access a majority of the apps/services it has. It (the Pre) also experiences this on WIFI at times as well but seems far more sporadic.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 12/01/2009 at 03:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    After having both for over 2 weeks now
    Nice job, gman. I remain hopeful that webOS will mature and I'll likely remain on the platform for a while. But I've set up both the Hero and the Droid for users here at work, and they are nice phones.

The build quality on both Android phones is great. I'm still on my first Pre (June) but it is a bit "loose" on the slider and battery cover. It does look much better than the Hero or Droid.

The Droid has a great keyboard, but I don't care for landscape sliders. The Hero's keyboard is functional, but would take some getting used to if you prefer hardware keyboards.

Hands-down the Pre is the best mobile browser I've used, but man does it need Flash.

The Android platform intrigues me though - calendar, tasks and notes are weak on the Pre. I've found third-party and Homebrew alternates, but I'm spoiled by the powerful PalmOS and WinMo add-on PIMs. Please come to the Pre soon!

Does Android do as good a job as the Pre on "unified" presentation of contact and calendar data? I love that I can see all contacts and all appointments in one app, without mixing my personal and work accounts together.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    Does Android do as good a job as the Pre on "unified" presentation of contact and calendar data? I love that I can see all contacts and all appointments in one app, without mixing my personal and work accounts together.
    I will have to play around with this more. To be honest I have not delved into this much because the Pre is so limited as a traditional PIM (really amazing from a Palm product). Don't get me wrong... universal search works well but the tasks, notes, desktop syncing, etc. leave some major features to be desired. The Hero has desktop software (as well) but I have not loaded it and looked at it's feature set yet. It may just assist with loading music.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    Yes. All of your contacts are in one place and you can "link" mail, phone, facebook, etc. They do not import in the same way as they do on the Pre but you get the same result without too much tedium. The calendar combines your various calendars (Outlook, Gmail, etc) and is similar in the functions it performs but is operated a little differently and is more customizable. IMHO syncing calendar and contacts is easier on the Pre while more techy but more customizable and useful on Andriod. It comes down to what you want/need.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I will list some primary items I feel are important.
    I'll add my impressions here to help anyone considering a switch make as informed a decision as possible. I will try not to repeat too much of what gman said but his format makes sense to me so I'm going to copy it.

Build Quality - The Hero wins. I don't see how anyone can deny this. It is much more solid and has a cool grippy surface over most of the phone. The buttons are robust and work well. I have to give the Pre a lot of credit because it's a slider that manages not to look like a slider but it's just not put together well. Sorry, Palm.

Battery - The Hero is the clear winner again. On most days I listen to Pandora from 10 to 4 with some moderate texting emailing, and web surfing. I typically finish the day with 40-50% battery. With the same usage on the Pre I would have to charge the phone in the afternoon or risk it dying during my bike ride home.

Screen - I think the Pre wins here. Visually they both look great but my experience has been that the Pre's screen responds better to touch. This is especially noticeable when you pinch-to-zoom or work near the edges of the screen. The Hero isn't bad but the Pre is clearly more responsive.

EDVO - I didn't notice a big difference but I have decent coverage where I travel. I'll go ahead and say here that the Hero has noticeably better cell reception. This may or may not be an issue depending on where you live.

Applications - The Android wins again. The bulk of the Pre apps/patches give it functionality it should have anyway. Yes, there are useless apps on Android Market but there are useless apps for the Pre as well (Photo quizzes???) Anyway, I'd rather have the problem of too much choice than not enough.

Flash - Hero has it - sort of. Having flash on my phone has not changed my experience. Your mileage may vary depending on the websites you visit. Apparently both Android and WebOS will have more robust flash in the future but I've got to grade the devices on what's available now. If flash is important to you for some reason then the Hero wins.

UI - I want to give this to WebOS so bad but it lacks too much customization and any big advantage it has over Android (Universal Search!) can be covered by an Android app (Aurora!). Navigating Android is not as intuitive or quick as WebOS. The ability to multitask is about the same for either OS but the deck of cards thing is pretty brilliant IMHO and makes it more intuitive on the Pre. WebOS presents everything so much better but it's just not as powerful at this point. I'm not sure where else to put this so: I'd dock the Hero points for screen orientation lag (I have read that this is deliberate) and only having landscape when you rotate counterclockwise. You can use the Pre upside down if you want and the screen will rotate to accommodate you. I thought that was really cool for quickly checking notifications or messages. If you're still on the fence, consider that there is no voice recognition/dialing on the Pre. No-look-dialing while driving is important...

Call Quality - I did not notice a difference.

Tethering - A wash IMO. You can tether with a Hero without "rooting" it but it's a bit of a ritual to get it to work. I figure if you need tethering, you can probably deal with rooting your Pre or with the Hero ritual.

Storage - Hero. Expandable storage is better than fixed storage...

Browsing - WebOS wins here. There is at least one browser for the Hero which is quicker than the stock browser but the WebOS browser is still the fastest. Other than that, the web experience is about he same unless the webpage has flash content compatible with the Android flash lite.

Keyboard - If you "need" a physical keyboard then the Hero is really not an option. The Hero's on-screen keyboard is totally decent when calibrated. I'm not going to declare a winner for something that's so subjective.

Notifications - They are cuter and slightly more functional on the Pre. If you get a lot of notifications quickly then the Hero's system is better. Close call and not all that important.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast