Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i LOVE how cheap the pixi is, but the blackberry seems a little bit more appealing...

im so torn >.<
    FYI, it's now available on AT&T as of today.

and before anyone starts jumping up and down, im talking about the BlackBerry.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    FYI, it's now available on AT&T as of today.

and before anyone starts jumping up and down, im talking about the BlackBerry.
    yeah i know >.<
    but AT&Ts plans are ridic expensive
    Depends. Browsing is awful on the 9700, the screen is small with very high resolution. You can barely read.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Depends. Browsing is awful on the 9700, the screen is small with very high resolution. You can barely read.
    yeah but the keyboard is better, phone is overall faster, and the camera is way better. oh and the battery life is epic!
    is that a real question...those phones aren't in the same league get the blackberry
    I would like Pixi, just favor the keyboard and touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    yeah i know >.<
    but AT&Ts plans are ridic expensive
    Don't agree. Sprint Everything family plans are very expensive for two people.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-bb-tour.html

I don't see how anyone could find the Sprint plans to be expensive for a smart phone (family or otherwise). Unlimited data/web/email/txt/navigation/etc doesn't get any cheaper than Sprint. Simple voice service might be another matter perhaps....
    yeah but the keyboard is better, phone is overall faster, and the camera is way better. oh and the battery life is epic!
    I really want to like 9700 because I'm sick of dealing with the Pre. But that browser painful. It's slow, inaccurate and I have to hold the device a few inches from my face just to be able to read the tiny fonts. It won't even let me set a minimum font size (it has the option but it doesn't work).

Also, YouTube videos play at a dumbphone resolution (could be T-Mobile restriction). I'm waiting for RIM to release a webKit browser before I consider switching. It does everything else much better than the Pre, that's for sure.

I do have to say that the Pixi keyboard is something you have to try. It's surprisingly good.
    The 9700 is the premier BlackBerry device...the Pixi is the low-end WebOS device.

On the other hand, RIM has been in a rut for the past 7 billion years with its web browser...

You really should just evaluate priorities...how big of a deal is web browsing? For me, it's pretty big. And RIM doesn't have that much of an advantage over Palm in messaging/email.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    The 9700 is the premier BlackBerry device...the Pixi is the low-end WebOS device.

On the other hand, RIM has been in a rut for the past 7 billion years with its web browser...

You really should just evaluate priorities...how big of a deal is web browsing? For me, it's pretty big. And RIM doesn't have that much of an advantage over Palm in messaging/email.
    Yes, but for me it's mostly tasks and calendar . So the choice remains, great browser or great PIM (great 3rd party software in the latter case). But we can't have both as things stand. I expected Palm to solve this dilemma, but they have other things in mind.

RIM is working on a webKit browser. At least they're finally tackling that problem.

As I'm weighing browsing vs. PIM functionality I find that I'm enjoying browsing independently of my PC, but is it really essential? On the other hand I do use a bunch of web services for looking up and entering data and would need to make sure the BB browser at least handles those.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    That *is* a tough choice...because I don't know what will come out first: better 3rd party WebOS PIM software or the Webkit browser in the works for BBOS.

I would first test the 9700 to see if it can even handle the web services you need (even if it only handles them painfully/poorly). And then evaluate if the Pre handles the PIM needs (even if it's painful/poor)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    i played with the new 9700 it's awful. If anything the Bold 1 looks nicer.

Blackberry OS is antiquated and i think RIM is in trouble long term.
    i LOVE how cheap the pixi is, but the blackberry seems a little bit more appealing...

im so torn >.<
    My BB 9700 cost me $50.
    Yes, but for me it's mostly tasks and calendar . So the choice remains, great browser or great PIM (great 3rd party software in the latter case). But we can't have both as things stand. I expected Palm to solve this dilemma, but they have other things in mind.

RIM is working on a webKit browser. At least they're finally tackling that problem.

As I'm weighing browsing vs. PIM functionality I find that I'm enjoying browsing independently of my PC, but is it really essential? On the other hand I do use a bunch of web services for looking up and entering data and would need to make sure the BB browser at least handles those.
    Sadly we cannot. The good PIM platforms (PalmOS, WM, BB) have crappy browsers. OTOH You can run Opera on a BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    That *is* a tough choice...because I don't know what will come out first: better 3rd party WebOS PIM software or the Webkit browser in the works for BBOS.

I would first test the 9700 to see if it can even handle the web services you need (even if it only handles them painfully/poorly). And then evaluate if the Pre handles the PIM needs (even if it's painful/poor)
    RIM recently bought a mobile browser company so my money is on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Sadly we cannot. The good PIM platforms (PalmOS, WM, BB) have crappy browsers. OTOH You can run Opera on a BB.
    What do you think about Opera Mini and the Bolt? Other than using some services I just read RSS feeds and argue on PreCentral.

I tried a few sites that I expect to use. Most worked okay, but online banking was problematic. I sure am going to test everything before keeping it.
    What do you think about Opera Mini and the Bolt? Other than using some services I just read RSS feeds and argue on PreCentral.

I tried a few sites that I expect to use. Most worked okay, but online banking was problematic. I sure am going to test everything before keeping it.
    I haven't tried Opera Mini yet. For Banking I am not expecting any problems since my Bank has a mobile friendly site. Tivo will be better since there is a dedicated Tivo app for the BB. There is also a dedicated Google Voice app so that is one more site I won't need to visit.

Bad as the BB browser is compared to a Pre or iPhone, it's way better than browsing the web on my 2.5G GSM Centro. The 9700 scrren is high res but you can zoom in with the browser which should help.
    Can a non-touchscreen phone really have a good browsing experience?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast