Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As an ex-Treo 650/680 user and long-time devotee of PalmOS, I've been following the development of the Pre with great interest. With no viable Palm optiion once my Treo 680 expired, I jumped ship to a Blackberry Bold. It's been fine - gets the job done, but doesn't particularly inspire.

I finally got to play with a Pre a few weeks ago (I'm in the UK) and I loved it, but here's the mental mulling up that I did when deciding between it and an iPhone:

Form factor. +1 to the Pre. It's small and feels great in the hand. The screen is sharp.

OS. +1 for the Pre. WebOS is superb and the approach to notifications and multitasking are excellent. Apple could learn a lot.

Keyboard. +1 for the Pre - hardware keyboard beats on-screen keyboard. It's not rocket-science - some feedback beats no feedback. Can't believe some people argue this.

Browser. +1 for the Pre. It's getting Flash so just pips the 3Gs.

Applications. +100 for the iPhone. Yep, it's all about the apps. Smartphones are applications platforms at heart and the iPhone is peerless in this regard. The phenomenal number of apps, both good and bad, blows away anything WebOS has, or has coming in the pipeline.

I want Palm to succeed. I don't want an iPhone, but I'm buying one anyway to get the suite of apps that I need for work and leisure. I know that it's early days for WebOS, but there's no indication of support for native application development and without that there is just no way Pre apps will come close to the potential quality of the App Store smorgasbord.

The Pre is so good in so many ways. I hope that Palm announce a native app strategy and release a lower-level API.
    I'm considering choosing the 3Gs over the Pre myself, since my dad can put me on his family plan, which would actually lower my bill.
    such an arbitrary scoring system... where are all the negatives for:
    -abusive/poor app approval/rejection
    -poor customer service
    -lack of multi-tasking
    -price gouging/user abuse between phone/hardware upgrades
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    such an arbitrary scoring system... where are all the negatives for:
    -abusive/poor app approval/rejection
    -poor customer service
    -lack of multi-tasking
    -price gouging/user abuse between phone/hardware upgrades
    How about the negatives for:

-Poor construction/Terrible Quality Control
    -Multi-tasking as long as you don't run more than 2-3 apps
    -UI that doesn't even utilize all of the phones hardware
    -Worse battery life
    -Smaller screen

I could go on, but do I really need to?
    pmckean, in the UK are the plans for the iPhone so outrageously more expensive than the plans for the Pre?

Here on this side of the pond in the U.S. the Pre plans are much cheaper and iPhone plans...
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I believe the scoring system should fit the scorer so if the OP scores it that way then fine but I must say this what exact app do you need from the iphone that the pre doesn't have and if you have answer for this I would ask you to make a app request post with said app(excluding 3d games)
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    How about (for US users) +1000 for Pre is not on AT&T and so i can actually make a phone call and get reception in an urban area.
    I always find the app issue interesting. I pondered this awhile and after speaking to many a friend with an iPhone, most only have about a dozen or two of applications from the 90,000 choices. Many of them hate going into the store now because of the bloat of uselessness and admit to only using maybe 3-4 different apps regularly. As for the Pre and other application accessible phones, of course no one will ever catch up to the iPhone catalog but I certainly don't want that. I'm a very happy Pre owner and love Synergy, multitasking and even the media applications currently available for the Pre. As for the app store for Pre, I have a handfull of them downloaded and like me iPhone bretheran, use only 3 or 4 in general and find myself content with that and look forward to the ongoing development for the Pre/Pixi and future WebOS phones. I have to say there's lots of things to love about the different smart phones out there and its all in what the user wants out of it. Go play with all the different options and price the plans and make sure your coverages are met and make a decision. Don't do it because all the sheeple tell you too so you can follow the herd or be hypnotized by aliens or fall into a stupified trance because something is bold or shiny. Have fun!
    The scoring system was for the OP's needs, and as such is fine. Folks with different needs for apps, and/or different priorities, will score differently. That's why options are great!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    -Poor construction/Terrible Quality Control
    its a gen 1 phone, iphone is gen 3.. apples->oranges
    -Multi-tasking as long as you don't run more than 2-3 apps
    I have no issues running multiple apps
    -UI that doesn't even utilize all of the phones hardware
    its a gen 1 phone... the sony playstation 3 doesnt even have games yet that fully utilize its hardware yet... it takes time
    -Worse battery life
    used based outcome... my battery lasts 1.5 days without a charge
    -Smaller screen
    dont really have a comment for that other than the Pre's is sharper
    These type of threads are amusing. I have both the iPhone 3GS and Pre and besides the number of apps (out of 100k 75k are dumb, dupes or not even usable on the US iPhones which noone ever tells you), great games and super web browser, I pretty much give the Pre all the other +'s.

Just my .02 but if all anyone cares about is apps then of course the iPhone wins. If you want overall usability, multitasking and some neat little tweaks hands down the Pre wins. Unless I want to play games, I use my Pre 99% of the time. Then of course with Sprints unlimited plans I pay about 50% less and can do more than my ATT iPhone plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    I believe the scoring system should fit the scorer so if the OP scores it that way then fine but I must say this what exact app do you need from the iphone that the pre doesn't have and if you have answer for this I would ask you to make a app request post with said app(excluding 3d games)
    Kindle
    Slingbox
    decent facebook
    pockettunes
    navigation with maps
    direct tv
    ebay
    paypal
    wsj app
    banking apps
    any game on the level of bejeweled
    shazam
    office

The list goes on..
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeester68 View Post
    I always find the app issue interesting. I pondered this awhile and after speaking to many a friend with an iPhone, most only have about a dozen or two of applications from the 90,000 choices. Many of them hate going into the store now because of the bloat of uselessness and admit to only using maybe 3-4 different apps regularly. As for the Pre and other application accessible phones, of course no one will ever catch up to the iPhone catalog but I certainly don't want that. I'm a very happy Pre owner and love Synergy, multitasking and even the media applications currently available for the Pre. As for the app store for Pre, I have a handfull of them downloaded and like me iPhone bretheran, use only 3 or 4 in general and find myself content with that and look forward to the ongoing development for the Pre/Pixi and future WebOS phones.
    I'm always flabbergasted when I read something like this. The largesse of the iPhone App Store is what one would call a good problem to have.

There's a HUGE difference between only using 3-4 apps regularly because you've filtered down through tens of thousands of choices and have the absolute best for your needs and only using 3-4 apps regularly because...well, there are only really 3-4 apps good for you in the current puny App Catalog.

I'll take the choices. So will most people. Hence Apple (and to a lesser degree, Android) running away with this competitive advantage.

I loved Pandora when I was using the Pre, but damn, it's nice to now be able to choose from Pandora, Slacker, last.fm, iMusic, and several other choices on iPhone and Android. (For the record, Slacker rules them all). Rhapsody is already on iPhone and will be on Android in the next 30-45 days.

That's why a robust app store matters.
    its a gen 1 phone, iphone is gen 3.. apples->oranges

I have no issues running multiple apps

its a gen 1 phone... the sony playstation 3 doesnt even have games yet that fully utilize its hardware yet... it takes time

used based outcome... my battery lasts 1.5 days without a charge

dont really have a comment for that other than the Pre's is sharper
    The G1 was a gen 1 phone that came out, and was great right out of the box, even without the app support. The iPhone was great when it was a gen 1 device. Blackberry's Storm is even better as a gen 1 device. Palm made a big mistake pairing their new OS with such poor hardware. Gen 1 device or not, there are better options out there.
    The problem is the network and hardware that run and support those apps is **** poor... Whats the point of having a few choices for streaming audio when you pay through the nose on your plan to use them? And at that, worry about if you'll even have 3g coverage to USE them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The scoring system was for the OP's needs, and as such is fine. Folks with different needs for apps, and/or different priorities, will score differently. That's why options are great!
    But even for the OP's needs, it would have been better to provide scores for the individual apps he needs that are in the Apple App Store but not in the Palm App Catalog. There are some good things in the App Catalog, after all (such as Pandora, Fandango, etc).

Or perhaps what he needs is simply the knowledge that whatever he wants will be available whenever he wants it. And that is somewhat unrealistic no matter how many apps are available (though admittedly the odds are better with 100k apps).

It's kind of incredible to me that app selection trumps all the other positives he listed for the Pre. Maybe I just don't get it. I was at a meeting the other day where a couple of iPhone users were talking about an application that scans a business card and automatically populates a contact with the info. Pretty cool! The Pre is unlikely to see that capability with the current state of its camera, regardless of APIs. But this in no way whatsoever makes me feel my Pre is deficient. There are a lot of really cool apps, no question of that. But I guess I don't see how that trumps everything else.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/19/2009 at 10:04 AM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If everything the phone actually DOES is scored in favor of the Pre, it still seems somewhat silly to go with an iPhone based on the number of apps in the respective catalog. Apple saw this though and that's why you see iPhone ads focusing on the App catalog now...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    The problem is the network and hardware that run and support those apps is **** poor... Whats the point of having a few choices for streaming audio when you pay through the nose on your plan to use them? And at that, worry about if you'll even have 3g coverage to USE them?
    Uh, I use the Hero on Sprint and have the same 3G coverage and low plan prices Pre users have.

But if people wanna pay more for the iPhone 3GS on ATT, they are getting something extra for that additional money...at least compared to the Pre on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    If everything the phone actually DOES is scored in favor of the Pre, it still seems somewhat silly to go with an iPhone based on the number of apps in the respective catalog. Apple saw this though and that's why you see iPhone ads focusing on the App catalog now...
    Because it's about more than what a device or OS does. Or in the Pre's case OSTENSIBLY does.

The Pre is ostensibly an advanced smartphone that is always Web-connected. But in my several months of owning it, I found the cell radio to be weak, phone app to be slow, and 3G data stability to be quite shaky at best.

But as I said...it's about more than that. A lot of people here say now that they have tasted the multitasking ease of WebOS, they cannot go back to a gesture-less platform that isn't as polished. That's the way I feel about migrating to a platform like Android or iPhone with a robust modern app catalog. Once you get all of those choices and start using them, it's hard to go "back" to an app-poor, option-poor, feature-poor device like the Pre. All of the Preware hacks, tweaks, and patches in the world can't change that.
    I hope the op likes his new iPhone, it is a great phone. I think the iPhone is a great fit for 80% of people, I'm just not one of them.
    I know the Pre is the best phone I've owned, it meets my needs more then any other phone out there. There are draw backs but I can live with them just like iPhone owners have to live with their particular draw backs.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast