Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I agree with pmckean, an appless phone is just that ....a phone..........I mean what about scrabble?, Golf Games, I mean they will never have the quality of games on pre like they do for Iphone.........Madden 2010? forget it......Tiger woods Golf? Not likely.....Need for Speed.....Not going to happen.......I made such a HUGE mistake in buying the pre.........i still take my Itouch to work with me so i don't have to play palm pre's ******** mix of checkers/ video poker..........really disappointed in myself....
    As a current iPod Touch 3g and Pre owner, I can definetlely say the Pre lacks completely when it comes to UI, ease of use, speed, and design.

iPod Touch (Likes)
    -Multitouch Keyboard-Works better, and faster for me
    -Fast
    -Thin, Solid, and Beautiful
    -Multitasks stuff I care about (Music)
    -Safari (Has a simplified version of WebOS cards in the browser which is awesome)
    -Ability to broadcast iPod Touch's ip address to upload/download files to and from
    Dislikes
    -No Swipes
    -Apple restrictions (Not as bad as Palm though)

Palm Pre (Stuff I like)
    -Feeds (App)
    -Webkit
    -Cards
    -Getures
    -Touchstone
    -Community
    -....zz....(crickets)....zz..oh thats it
    Dislikes
    -Well everything else because it lags; once it gets faster I will be happy
    All I know is I love being able to play poker and read a book at the same time. Since it takes forever for most people to decide if they are checking or folding I can usually get a chapter in each hand.
    You know, i see both sides of this. I owned an iphone and had problems with it, but LOVED the phone. Why? Because it was an awesome touch screen at the time (my first), and the screen is spacious. I loved playing games on the phone that looked great, loved the applications that were stupid and useless (but humorous and entertaining), and loved watching movies while on trips or work travel. However, when it comes to business MY OPINION ( so dont get all fussy some of you) is that the iphone is not geared to some businesses or people that need the true ease and functionality of multitasking that the PRE offers. What i came to find was that after time with the iphone, the excitement wore off. I still use it to play games and such off of wifi, but not too often ( i canceled my contract). I recall one frustrating day when a new update came out and my phone crashed and froze for an entire weekend...not even the techs at the Apple store in my area could get it to work.
    Apps are without a doubt fun and necessary and yes, Palm is lacking. Yes, plenty of people could say "Well Palms only been out six months and Apple had none for a year upon initial release"...well in theory, Palm could get plenty of the companies that have games/apps on other devices on theirs if they wanted, or if it was their prioirity. Look at all the old games like Doom, Sonic, Etc. that are being made for the iphone. Palm isnt in the game, not focused on the apps it seems.
    Ive grown out of the iphone phase. Fun, yes. For function, Pre wins in my opinion. I have an inner child, but I dont need to make fart noises from my phone. I dont need the games all day. I need to multitask. Both are winners in their own ways, just depends on your priorities, on your needs, and on what you want to do with your phone. Personally, I can play games at home and my phone is needed for work. I do agree it would be fun to have the apps that android and apple offers. However, its not on my top list of priorities. Let the yelling and screaming begin....but remember THIS IS MY OPINION.
    I bought Pre for the physical keyboard and the freedom that webos is giving us
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    I bought Pre for the physical keyboard and the freedom that webos is giving us
    +1
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I hate to bring up an older post in the thread but I couldn't help it.

The G1 was great right out of the box? lol Uh, no. Almost no apps, basic webmail services only, horrible hardware design. No, no, no.

The Blackberry Storm was an ever better gen 1 device? lolololol.

You have no credibility left at all.

I see the point in comparing gen 1 phones theoretically, but it is really irrelevant. How good is the phone compared to all the current competition? That is what matters. The Moto Star Tac was a great gen 1 flip phone. But would you compare it to a gen 1 Palm Pre?

Things change and you compete against current products.

So while you make a good point that gen 1 or not there are other good options out there, your facts to back it up or silly at best.
    Totally agree with you on this one. Im by no means as knowledgeable as most people on here. However, from what Ive read about online, from what Ive heard from people I know that own them, the G1 and the Storm were horrible! There were so many people unsatisfied with the Storm. There are a number of people these days that only own these sophisticated phones because they seem cool. I came across so many G1 owners that either didnt even know they could download apps, didnt know how to, or didnt want to. Their reason for owning the phone....it looked cool and was the "new" touch screen available to them on Tmobile. They also liked the keyboard. When you compare phones, compare the crowd they attract as well. Most people that love the iphone say they love it cause they can play games all day...what true professional has time to play games all day? Palm needs to step up their game most definitely. However, saying the G1 and the storm were great out of the box....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    iPhone app store was released roughly 16-17 months ago. 11 months from now, Palm's App Catalog will have been available for the same time. If Palm reaches even one tenth of the current iPhone app tally number by then, I will be amazed.

You said they'd be equivalent.
    Whats the point in achieving the same number of Apps? Why is this all seem to be a competition to most people to meet numbers such as Apples? I agree, Palm will never reach the numbers Apple has achieved, especially in the same time frame. Personally, and this is just me, I'd rather they focus less on matching numbers than being able to offer quality Apps. I love the Pre, but I think alot of the Apps on there arent great quality. However, compare the Apple Apps Store. How many useless Apps can you come across in 5 minutes? Do i really need an app that will fake a call, or make noises that sound like im working/typing at work? The number i bet would exceed the number of TOTAL apps in pres catalog. Yes I know, whats that say about the Pres catalog....whats that also say about Apples?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The idea that there can be an App Store/Catalog that has a bunch of apps that you think are quality but not the stuff you think of as junk is a fantasy. The store will get filled with whatever people can develop that they think or hope someone will download. How, exactly, do you focus a developer community or Palm on "quality" apps? Perhaps Palm should have rejected Zombie Invasion and told the developer that the shooter should be able to move at least left/right and not just rotate.

By the way, the number of new apps that Apple approves in three days probably exceeds the number of apps in the Pre catalog.

If you read what I said carefully with an open mind, I never said that was my idea or hope. I said I dont see why people focus on the NUMBER of apps versus the QUALITY Apps. And as I mentioned, the lacking number of Apps in the catalog surely says a lot about Palm, but so does the number of ridiculous Apps in the Apple Catalog. Its a fact that most pre/android owners focus merely on the number of Apps that they have compared to Apple. I own both Phones. No kidding both App stores will get filled with whatever people can develop. Thats undeniable. You bring that up why? I never said that. As I also mentioned, I dont see the point in the USERS, not the developers, complaining about obtaining a goal of matching Apples numbers when it would seem logical that QUALITY APPS, by who evers definition, yours or mine, would seem like the better argument for a CONSUMER. Can you seriously tell me that you find it fun to waste your time, your phones storage, and amusing to have an app that generates farting noises? Both phones offer this so its not focused on one product over another. Its not focused on JUST my opinion of what is defined as a QUALITY APP. Do research on all cell phone app websites and see what the MAJORITY has to say. And I know, the majority doesnt necessarily mean that there arent those that wont like what I deem a boring APP. My point is why focus on numbers instead of quality. Would you rather see games on the iphone like Palms Spades which, no offense cause I play it, has a generated partner that cant seem to play, or a game like the ones offered on the Iphone such as Crash Bandicots Racer? I belive most would rather see Palm release 100 Apps, whether fun, useful, enlightening, educational, etc. etc. that were by a majority vote "QUALITY" than 500 apps where 459 were deemed useless by the majority. Why do I focus a developer community or Palm on "quality" apps? Well, last I checked a Forum was defined as a public place for OPEN discussion. I guess your all knowing and only your opinion is for forums. What exactly is your definition of quality? More and more Apple apps arent quality by my definition... but thats me. If you like sorting through Apples app catalog and seeing an App for the rapper 50 cent that seems more like an advertisement all the way through the app than an actual application, well congrats to you. I didnt say restrict anything. I said why are people focused on numbers? Yes, I agree with your last statement, apple does release more apps in 3 days than what the Pre has on a whole. Thats no reason to boast when the percentage of Apps are deemed by the majority of consumers, reviewers, etc as useless. My point is why would one want to be in such a rush to have this? For the mere sake of saying "my app catalog is over 1 million"?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Personally, I think the Pre is a better phone and the iPhone is a better entertainment device. With that in mind I got the Pre and an iPod touch. The iPod touch gets used for games and the Pre gets used for everything else.

Yes, the iPod touch I got cost an additional $300 on top of the cost for the Pre, but the $1,000 or so in savings over the life of the contract with Sprint should more then make up the difference
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.johnson115 View Post
    Whats the point in achieving the same number of Apps? Why is this all seem to be a competition to most people to meet numbers such as Apples? I agree, Palm will never reach the numbers Apple has achieved, especially in the same time frame. Personally, and this is just me, I'd rather they focus less on matching numbers than being able to offer quality Apps.
    Untidy nabbed this above, but since you are quoting me, I will weigh in as well:

App catalogs...hell, ANY software catalog you see...do not magically bloom with nothing but AAA titles if the parent company (e.g. Apple, Palm) "focuses" more than their competitors on quality apps. It's the law of averages. Apple is running the show right now because they gave the most comprehensive tools accessing the best hardware to the most developers. THEN they got the Tiger Woods Golf, Need for Speed, and Resident Evil-caliber titles....among fly-by-night dudes who make fart apps, light sabers, iBeer, and soundboards.

You need volume for quality. Volume attracts quality developers. It helps create lower prices, which attracts more consumers who buy more apps. That, in turn, gets more and more developers who create better apps knowing their development efforts will be worth it. Lampoon the crapware that makes up 70 percent of Apple's catalog all you like. It gives them the "girth" needed to get that quality 30 percent.
    My point is why would one want to be in such a rush to have this? For the mere sake of saying "my app catalog is over 1 million"?
    Because developers wanna know where their wares are going to generate the most income. For now, it's still the App Store, even if that model is producing a race to the bottom (in terms of pricing) that may prove unsustainable in the long term.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snarnold View Post
    I agree with pmckean, an appless phone is just that ....a phone..........I mean what about scrabble?, Golf Games, I mean they will never have the quality of games on pre like they do for Iphone.........Madden 2010? forget it......Tiger woods Golf? Not likely.....Need for Speed.....Not going to happen.......I made such a HUGE mistake in buying the pre.........i still take my Itouch to work with me so i don't have to play palm pre's ******** mix of checkers/ video poker..........really disappointed in myself....
    Why are you disappointed in yourself? You have access to all of the apps on the iPod touch so you aren't missing them and you are probably saving a significant amount of money each month versus an iPhone on AT&T. Games kill battery life so doing your gaming on a separate device isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Untidy nabbed this above, but since you are quoting me, I will weigh in as well:

App catalogs...hell, ANY software catalog you see...do not magically bloom with nothing but AAA titles if the parent company (e.g. Apple, Palm) "focuses" more than their competitors on quality apps. It's the law of averages. Apple is running the show right now because they gave the most comprehensive tools accessing the best hardware to the most developers. THEN they got the Tiger Woods Golf, Need for Speed, and Resident Evil-caliber titles....among fly-by-night dudes who make fart apps, light sabers, iBeer, and soundboards.

You need volume for quality. Volume attracts quality developers. It helps create lower prices, which attracts more consumers who buy more apps. That, in turn, gets more and more developers who create better apps knowing their development efforts will be worth it. Lampoon the crapware that makes up 70 percent of Apple's catalog all you like. It gives them the "girth" needed to get that quality 30 percent.
    Again, none of you get the point. The focus of what I said was directed on everyone voicing their opinions on meeting the NUMBERS of what apples app store possesses. If your focus is to merely attract anyone and everyone in the hopes to get 3/10 decent apps, ok. Thats the maunfacturers objective, should not be the consumers. However, it would seem more logical that the FOCUS should be more on quality, especially from a consumers end. Apple can focus on getting anyone to jump on board in the hopes that it will attract more developers, and thus the numbers they possess will attract more consumers. And it works. There are many Apple consumers that jumpoed on that boat only to be severly dissapointed in the app catologs percentage of decent apps. So again, as a consumer, why should the focus be on numbers? You cant change what the manufacturere/developers will do, but doesnt mean that should be OUR focus. Many on here complain about the structural build of the Palm. Yet I guess they shouldnt focus on the phone material being, say 30% decent material and 70% crap so long as they (Palm) attract more and more people to build and buy their product and work on their product in the hopes to get their product ahead of everyone else? So long as 3/10 Palm buyers get a decent well built phone, the rest do not matter I guess. Its the law of averages right, so stop complaining. Your focus apparently needs to be elsewhere.
    Again, none of you get the point. The focus of what I said was directed on everyone voicing their opinions on meeting the NUMBERS of what apples app store possesses. If your focus is to merely attract anyone and everyone in the hopes to get 3/10 decent apps, ok. Thats the maunfacturers objective, should not be the consumers. However, it would seem more logical that the FOCUS should be more on quality, especially from a consumers end. Apple can focus on getting anyone to jump on board in the hopes that it will attract more developers, and thus the numbers they possess will attract more consumers. And it works. There are many Apple consumers that jumpoed on that boat only to be severly dissapointed in the app catologs percentage of decent apps. So again, as a consumer, why should the focus be on numbers?
    Uh, because it's impossible to have a diverse and quality catalog of apps with them? One is a signpost of the other.
    [QUOTE=UntidyGuy;2071845]OK. Let's focus on the fact that the WebOS App Catalog has more quality apps than the iPhone App Store. Wait...it doesn't. Nevermind.[/QUOTE

do you not take time to read what's said before responding? It was never said the pres catalog has quality apps. The question was why do pre owners focus on WANTING to match the number apple possesses instead of wanting for quality apps. Read
    Uh, because it's impossible to have a diverse and quality catalog of apps with them? One is a signpost of the other.
    Do people on here not take the time to read all posts by a person to understand their point before responding?? No ones doubting the necessity for each to have a diverse catolog, and to meet the needs of all people. The questions yet again which no one seems to get is WHY DO PEOPLE FOCUS ON ACHIEVING THE NUMBER OF APPS THAT APPLE HAS INSTEAD OF THE QUALITY OF APPS? Quality being defined as YOUR definiton of quality. Im not saying that there will ever be an app catalog that does not have stupid, useless apps. Everyone knows its a WISH for the Pre to achieve the number of apps that Apple now has. However, pre owners sit and WISH to achieve that number. My question was if you are going to WISH for something, DESIRE something, then why not desire qulaity over quantity?? Pre achieving the app catalog of the iphone will never happen anytime soon. So if you are going to wish for soemthing or hope for something that most likelyt will not happen, why not wish for quality? People on here defend an issue and attack people needlessly without reading what is posted with an open mind. Its a forum people. My initial question was not an attack on you, your family, or your livlihood...so calm down. ITS A FORUM. It was a question to see why people on here wish for things when they could wish for much more, KNOWING neither are to happen anytime soon. Who said the PRE has quality apps? Not me. Who said not having diversity is what makes a catolog decent? Not me.
    'quality' is an individual opinion and differs from person to person. one mans junk is another mans fart-app treasure and there will be people that will pay the .99 cent for it.

in this particular case you need to just flood the store with quantity so that you are able to offer the widest variety of software for every individual. the flood of apps will create a flood of interest and that will generate interest from more developers from the small frys and eventually to the bigger companies and the level of apps will grow and improve and give something for everyone.

people always try to use fart apps as a big joke to smear the iphone app store... looks who's laughing straight to the bank and going for other targets like game machines while now you have a TON of quality apps that IMO are more like PC quality than previous mobile apps.

quantity quantity quantity.
    Last edited by donm527; 12/01/2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Kindle
    Slingbox
    decent facebook
    pockettunes
    navigation with maps
    direct tv
    ebay
    paypal
    wsj app
    banking apps
    any game on the level of bejeweled
    shazam
    office

The list goes on..
    The Pre's FaceBook is ok for me. It will improve.
    There are numerous very good Apps for playing or streaming music on the Pre
    Sprints TV Apps work great although I have little interest in them
    Ebay and Paypal both have mobile websites which do everything I need
    PreJeweled works great
    DataViz will be releasing Documents To Go for complete Office compatibility. In the mean time the PalmOS version works on the Pre using Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    u cant be serious... about the Blackberry storm... Go on youtube and read reviews... It was one of the worst phones ever out the box... It was really buggy.... I phone was a decent first generation device but it was No where near perfect. No mms, couldnt delete a single text, dust getting under the screen... etc.. G1 wasent the best either...
    Yep. iPhone NOT PERFECT (egads!) out of the box? SAY IT WASN'T SO!!

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...-have-one.html

Yep. it was... (grab a cup of tea and have at 317 pages of "god phone" *****ing...
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456